[Status] VZW M8 Bootloader Unlock / S-Off Method

Search This thread

Nov 21, 2012
If root (even temp root) is achieved, would firewater not work on this to get s-off?

Root and temp root are not different here. If you are locked, all root is temp root. I don't know if firewater will work because it seems to be a hardware-based exploit. I am guessing that it does not work currently. I would guess, based on nothing, that devs already have root and tried it or already know it will fail. I don't know, maybe s-off will be released tomorrow. There is no point in speculating, just be patient and grateful.

skaforey

Nov 5, 2009
San Diego, CA
Root and temp root are not different here. If you are locked, all root is temp root. I don't know if firewater will work because it seems to be a hardware-based exploit. I am guessing that it does not work currently. I would guess, based on nothing, that devs already have root and tried it or already know it will fail. I don't know, maybe s-off will be released tomorrow. There is no point in speculating, just be patient and grateful.

No point in speculating? That's the only things for us mortals to do while the gods are at work :)

Tigerstown

Recognized Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
All you need is s-off. Then use super cid to change your cid then you can use htcdev to unlock boot loader yourself. Well this is what I did on my m7.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

l7777

May 2, 2007
All you need is s-off. Then use super cid to change your cid then you can use htcdev to unlock boot loader yourself. Well this is what I did on my m7.

Didn't think this was possible either. It is how I unlocked my DNA but I was under the impression that it no longer worked.

Tigerstown

Recognized Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
Didn't think this was possible either. It is how I unlocked my DNA but I was under the impression that it no longer worked.

I used this way only 5 months ago. But I really can't say for sure. If a java card surfaces we will find out then?

Tigerstown

Recognized Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
Changed it to the m7 gpe an then was allowed to unlock. Since there is a m8 gpe I was thinking it might work again.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

if you have s-off why do you need unlocked bootloader???

I always thought you need unlocked boot loader to flash recovery were I flash root ? If s-off allows me to flash recovery an root then I don't I guess

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Changed it to the m7 gpe an then was allowed to unlock. Since there is a m8 gpe I was thinking it might work again.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

I always thought you need unlocked boot loader to flash recovery were I flash root ? If s-off allows me to flash recovery an root then I don't I guess

S-OFF allows everything. if you have s-off and locked bootloader it wont matter you can still have root/rom/kernels etc at least I could on og one and one max

Reactions: Tigerstown

jcase

Retired Forum Moderator / Senior Recognized Develo
Feb 20, 2010
Sequim WA
Bounty threads have been ok for viper devs in the past I don't see why it wouldn't be ok for me

Btw I've been working with htcdev USA on push for kernel source

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bounty threads are payable AFTER work being produced, not before hand. If you see any otherwise, please alert myself or another mode. I strike down all I see.

Reactions: canito10 and Zarboz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hope Sonic comes through with a Java card again like on the M7. He is a trust worthy dude and I would have no problem sending my M8 to him to get S-OFF.:fingers-crossed:
    Soon.
    Burn(ears)

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    There is no money in this business, trust me.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Quick Update: a Firewater S-Off method is being tested for stability, but all signs point to a near-future S-Off release!

See: https://twitter.com/firewaterdevs/status/452269087083614208/photo/1

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Yes, they are. Jcase just posted that he is getting the m8 now. They will be working on it, though there's no telling how long it will take. But with a temproot solution like this working to s-off the m7, I doubt there will be much in the way of them banging something out right quick on the m8.
    ...At least that's my optimistic view of things, anyways.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Where there's jcase and beaups there's a way.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone