• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Step backward from the LG G2

Search This thread

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Most android phones, or other electronic devices/gadgets in general, has had the same issues, so this is nothing different. Some people report problems with their phones,while others have no issues. The LG G2 had problems out of the gate, but now after a few updates, it works great. I understand how people can be frustrated, but let's not act like the G3 is the first or the last phone that will have issues. Most people are reporting that the leaked update fixes a lot of the throttling/heat issues.

We all purchased the G3 knowing that the 805 would be released right around the corner, and there will always be a faster CPU/GPU combo released. I love the phone, I no longer have any lag to speak of, and the screens resolution does stand out to me. My only issue is the dim display when watching movies, but just boostng the brightness at 70-75% solves that minor problem. :)

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
What seems to be happening is that there seems to be inconsistency with the G3. Some people reporting problems that others arent having. You see some people getting 3 hours of SOT of "light usage" and some people getting 6 hours of SOT of "moderate usage." Some claim their batteries significantly worse than their G2/Note/GS5 while others say its about the same. Some report lag, others do not.

From my personal experience, i'm upgrading from a Nexus 4. The G3 feels quicker, and the screen is 10x better, and the camera is infinitely better, and so far i've been getting about 4.5 hours of SOT on 30 hours of usage (going to try and push that up to 5-6 hours with tweaks). I chose it over the g2 because even though the g2 was quicker, i liked the UI, design of the phone, and the camera.
You're absolutely right. I have read complaints about the G3 lag here and there but I have a couple of friends who own the device and they say they have zero lag issues and battery life is great. It's weird.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

malichevich

Apr 5, 2013
Zürich
Most android phones, or other electronic devices/gadgets in general, has had the same issues, so this is nothing different. Some people report problems with their phones,while others have no issues. The LG G2 had problems out of the gate, but now after a few updates, it works great. I understand how people can be frustrated, but let's not act like the G3 is the first or the last phone that will have issues. Most people are reporting that the leaked update fixes a lot of the throttling/heat issues.

We all purchased the G3 knowing that the 805 would be released right around the corner, and there will always be a faster CPU/GPU combo released. I love the phone, I no longer have any lag to speak of, and the screens resolution does stand out to me. My only issue is the dim display when watching movies, but just boostng the brightness at 70-75% solves that minor problem. :)

I'm with you about this. Nice said.:good:

Reactions: MRCANNADY

insang-droid

Sep 24, 2013
I don't know what G2 you are talking about, but G2 was a dog after the 4.4.2 update. Battery life took a dive to about 1/2 of what it use to be on ICS. compare apples to apples. with 4.4.2 G3's battery life outshines G2.

but that's only part of the whole picture.
Let's see some improvements:
1. touch response (lag) alone is huge
2. Speaker is amazing compared to everythign else other than M8
3. Camera (same hardware) but software is better IMO and laser focus i can definitely see the difference.
4. Front camera is night and day vs G2
5. Removable battery and SD card?!?! DING DING DING!!
6. VS980 only - rear buttons? much better design and feel
7. UI design.. minimal intrusion from android experience

I'm sure there are more. .but G3 is in no shape or form a downgrade. Not saying that it's perfect, and there are things that I wish they did differently, like 4.0 mAh battery for thicker phone would have been nice.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
That's my point exactly...some people praise how well the G2 works now after all the updates, and others still have issues. People will always have problems, and sometimes the problems are usually caused by what they have downloaded on their phone devices. The HTC One M8 was one of the most fluid phones that I have owed out of the box in the LONG time, however, it stuttering badly for me when it came to intense gaming. My G3 no longer has any of those gaming issues at all, and considering that the screen is at a much higher resolution, says a lot about the 801 processor being capable.

The G3 is not perfect, but for me, it's one beautiful, high resolution beats of a phone! :)

coorsleftfield

Jul 5, 2012
I wish they had made the g3 with a 1080p display and awesome battery life. Quad HD does not provide enough benefit for the battery life drain it comes with. Note 4 will probably have the same issue.

Reactions: bogdan1980

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I wish they had made the g3 with a 1080p display and awesome battery life. Quad HD does not provide enough benefit for the battery life drain it comes with. Note 4 will probably have the same issue.
The Note 4 uses Samsung's new QHD display technology. Its more power efficient and creates less heat and uses less battery.The Galaxy S5 Prime QHD which uses this display is giving less thermal throttling and longer battery life.

903tex

Mar 22, 2010
Tyler, Texas
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
No issues with mine at all! No lag, no overheating, still using the stock launcher, no issues whatsoever. The problem here is people with issues are posting and the ones like me that have a great time with the phone don't have anything to post! Just like every phone some get lucky some don't!

I had the g2 at launch to and had no issues with the phone as well....

I'm just waiting on the boot loader being unlocked by the devs(which they said it CAN be done) so when roms hit the threads I except this phone to be even better!

Last edited:
Reactions: prfraczek

prfraczek

Dec 13, 2012
Please. The problem here are people :) You think we've got nothing to do just write comments about lags etc. And there is 30% of lg users as you can see on this forum not very happy. And with stock launcher no lags hahaha. Lg by mistake put extra gpu for your phone and fitted 6gb ram. You must be lucky. Once I'm back next week and you've got extra phone for skype video session I can show you lags on your phone. Will not take more than 20 seconds. And yes i bought g3 because i quite enjoyed g2. But these are 2 different phones...

leomd333

Feb 20, 2013
'' Hey guys my new software based G3 is 100,000,000 times better than my year old, bug fixed G2! *snort* "
I hope in that video she is on the latest software, if she is on the shipped rom, the video is pointless. The first build clearly had issues, like ANY other phone.
2db297554ea5fa3dfb6267f8e2af4126.jpg

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

903tex

Mar 22, 2010
Tyler, Texas
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Please. The problem here are people :) You think we've got nothing to do just write comments about lags etc. And there is 30% of lg users as you can see on this forum not very happy. And with stock launcher no lags hahaha. Lg by mistake put extra gpu for your phone and fitted 6gb ram. You must be lucky. Once I'm back next week and you've got extra phone for skype video session I can show you lags on your phone. Will not take more than 20 seconds. And yes i bought g3 because i quite enjoyed g2. But these are 2 different phones...

And I'm a heavy user if I had this lag as those who are complaining having then I would say it! I have none just because the g3 sucks for you doesn't mean it sucks for me! And that's the problem when people like me say I'm not having issues people on here act like we are lying??? Wtf LMAO anyway if it sucks so bad and the lag is soooooo bad then sell it and get something else! A lot of you act like your gonna die if you sell your phone!

icoman

Jul 25, 2010
Backwardsville, NC
My g3 must be different than many people in this thread. My g3 never over heats, goes 2 days on a charge, has a very nice display that I can see enough to use in day light, gets fantastic call quality, has great sound quality, wonderful head phone quality though I do wish it defaulted to line out levels. I also have a fantastic camera on this thing. I don't notice lag after installing Swype keyboard and setting animations to .5,

gorilla glass 3 screen so no need for a screen protector, though I'm considering an anti glare one. I also just ordered a wireless display dongle and am using screen mirroring for watching YouTube on the tv. The phone is also very thin and fits great in my front pocket with minimal bulk.

I also do use the remote as a backup when my main universal is out of reach.
And download speeds in the city is almost 25mbps, which is far beyond what my nexus 4 could do.

IMO, this is by far the best phone on the market.

Last edited:

randyspants

Apr 30, 2012
My g3 must be different than many people in this thread. My g3 never over heats, goes 2 days on a charge, has a very nice display that I can see enough to use in day light, gets fantastic call quality, has great sound quality, wonderful head phone quality though I do wish it defaulted to line out levels. I also have a fantastic camera on this thing. I don't notice lag after installing Swype keyboard and setting animations to .5,

gorilla glass 3 screen so no need for a screen protector, though I'm considering an anti glare one. I also just ordered a wireless display dongle and am using screen mirroring for watching YouTube on the tv. The phone is also very thin and fits great in my front pocket with minimal bulk.

I also do use the remote as a backup when my main universal is out of reach.
And download speeds in the city is almost 25mbps, which is far beyond what my nexus 4 could do.

IMO, this is by far the best phone on the market.
I usually go naked but after my g2 looks after a year and my resale value is hurt so bad I picked up a glass protector and they really are amazing. Can't notice it one bit.

prfraczek

Dec 13, 2012
And I'm a heavy user if I had this lag as those who are complaining having then I would say it! I have none just because the g3 sucks for you doesn't mean it sucks for me! And that's the problem when people like me say I'm not having issues people on here act like we are lying??? Wtf LMAO anyway if it sucks so bad and the lag is soooooo bad then sell it and get something else! A lot of you act like your gonna die if you sell your phone!
This is what I do. Just waiting for new iPhone. I need good phone for my work doing IT support remotely for my clients 30% from mobile. Since beginning of this year it's my 3rd phone. Last year i had 5 :). For some people spend £500 every 3 months is f....all- if i want to sell then I will. Don't realy care... Read my other posts about problems last week with this 'amazing mobile' then answer my question: is it worth me to keep it?

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
This is what I do. Just waiting for new iPhone. I need good phone for my work doing IT support remotely for my clients 30% from mobile. Since beginning of this year it's my 3rd phone. Last year i had 5 :). For some people spend £500 every 3 months is f....all- if i want to sell then I will. Don't realy care... Read my other posts about problems last week with this 'amazing mobile' then answer my question: is it worth me to keep it?

People have to be aware of trolls who come to Android sites constantly complaining how bad their Android phone is, then telling those that don't have issues that they are lying, and then they throw in the IPhone pitch. If you're phone is that bad, then go and trade it for the IPhone. I and others here will never switch over to that crap. I love my G3..no lag, big beautiful screen, and expandable memory.

prfraczek

Dec 13, 2012
I and others here will never switch over to that crap. I love my G3..no lag, big beautiful screen, and expandable memory.

Hmm you are telling us 'no lag' so can you explain the below post, please?

I'm confused as to whether I should try the setting or not, because of all the conflicting feedback here. Would you mind telling me exacly what has been activated in the rom you have been testing so that i can update my settings? The phone is great, but i am experiencing a lot of lag while gaming ( Riptide 2, Modern combat 4)

Thank you!

Hahaha. How old r u?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought the 32gb, 3gb ram version from Amazon DE. I watched a lot of review sites and they generally praised the phone and said the performance was good. Here my initial thoughts:

-- the screen is too warm and makes everything look dull when compared to LG G2
    -- Performance is very poor compared to the LG G2, G2 is snappy in comparison
    -- animations, scrolling etc are running at 10-15fps or it seems. Compared to the LG G2, its buttery on the G2. Im a sucker for smooth animations
    -- launching app - for some reasons there is a noticeable delay - that was rare on the G2
    -- battery poor compared to the LG G2
    -- games suffer from low frame rates compared to the LG G2.
    -- youtube chrome cast bug - not a problem on G2 - means I'm unable to use me chromecast now. Bugger..
    -- and the phone gets too hot..
    -- hissing when using AUX output in car.

Antutu show the G3 as having lower performance them the G2.

I sold my G2 and feel like have just been robbed by LG. Yes, i loved the G2 and was expecting more of the same.

All this at the cost of having a quad hd screen - a marketing spec stunt, processor is marginally better then G2 on paper and GPU is the same as the G2. In real terms a massive step backwards in almost all regards.

I feel ****...
    The fact that the N5 battery life is subpar doesn't excuse LG's thought process. In LG's ideal world, we're all loyal customers, and you're upgrading from the G, to the G2, to the G3 and so on. With the specifications, and a myriad of issues (some of which could be fixed by s/w fixes, most not), there is not sufficient reason to upgrade from the G2 to the G3, if you ask me.

Then don't upgrade? The S5 was virtually no upgrade from the S4. If you expected double the battery life, because of double the screen resolution, then you set yourself up for disappointment. There is no indication that the battery life, while not stellar won't be more than enough to get through the entire day, and possibly then some. People are bugging out because its only got 7 hours of web browsing or 10 hours of video streaming. I guess I just don't get it, then again, I actually have a job that requires me to do stuff, so I can't stare at my phone for 15 hours a day and expect the battery and screen on time to last the duration.
    One thing that bothers me about xda is it seems some users have.....i guess the best way to say it is tunnel vision. When someone points out a phones flaws like how laggy it is or how bad the battery is it seems almost everyones response is "oh thats a simple fix with root" "oh this rom will fix this" or "this dev will fix that". The xda community is just a small percentage of cellphone users. Most people dont know how to root there phones and could care less about custom ROMs. And i know there are other xda members like myself who dont always root there phones and love xda for all the information and help you can get from this wonderful community. My point is dont defend a phones flaw with a fix thst requires root or ROMs. What matters is performance out of the box. If a phone has issues out the box then theres something wrong with the phone.

SENT FROM MY ROCKING HK M8
    Hopefully someone from LG will read it. This phone is the biggest shi..... I have ever had. It cannot be ompared to Lg G2- why i sold it!!!??? Now awaiting iPhone 6 then goodbye lg. They should fire every person who is responsible for this laggy brick!!!

Now this, this is the type of compelling review that is sure to skew the masses from buying a G3. Just an all around well thought out, and worded review. Kudos!