Step by step guide for lg v20 h918 unlocking, downgrading, rooting and twrp

Search This thread

Grin59

Sep 5, 2018
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 10 Pro

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Hey there, thank you for the guide. I have zero experience doing something like this and I've a few questions. Apologies if I missed something. H91820h isn't mentioned so what should folks do? does it need to be downgraded? FWUL link is for 2.7 but the latest version is 3.1. Should the latest version be disregarded? Thanks you.
Little late to reply but for you, downgrade and use the latest FWUL

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitoastis

noddledizzy

Jan 31, 2019
I messed up. So I did everything successfully until the wiping the data part. Stupid me thought that it was the wiping in the advance wiping part, so I did wipe everything including the rom. Since I am already at the latest TWRP, I just decided to just download and flash Alpha Omega. I was able to install it but it was giving me Decryption unsuccessful on boot. I tried going back to twrp to properly wipe the data(the one where you have to type yes) and the result is still the same, it is still giving me decryption unsuccessful. I tried a different rom. Just a prerooted oreo stock one and the results are still the same. Did me accidentally wiping my rom has something to do with this? and how do I solve this?

cnjax

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
I messed up. So I did everything successfully until the wiping the data part. Stupid me thought that it was the wiping in the advance wiping part, so I did wipe everything including the rom. Since I am already at the latest TWRP, I just decided to just download and flash Alpha Omega. I was able to install it but it was giving me Decryption unsuccessful on boot. I tried going back to twrp to properly wipe the data(the one where you have to type yes) and the result is still the same, it is still giving me decryption unsuccessful. I tried a different rom. Just a prerooted oreo stock one and the results are still the same. Did me accidentally wiping my rom has something to do with this? and how do I solve this?
Try updating twrp, then wipe davlik and cache, format data, then flash rom, before booting then flash kernel (if you intend to use mk2000 I recommend flashing it separate from the one in the rom aroma installer, and then immediately flash magisk, then boot to system

Sent from my LG-H910 using XDA Labs

noddledizzy

Jan 31, 2019
Try updating twrp, then wipe davlik and cache, format data, then flash rom, before booting then flash kernel (if you intend to use mk2000 I recommend flashing it separate from the one in the rom aroma installer, and then immediately flash magisk, then boot to system

Already did all this but, is it okay if I flash latest magisk?(19.3 as of this post) or am I supposed to flash magisk 16 that's linked in this tutorial?
I am also already on 3.3.1-0 (from https://xdaforums.com/v20/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-1-0-t3720239) are there more recent or more appropriate twrp to use?

Last edited:

cnjax

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, FL

Grin59

Sep 5, 2018
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 10 Pro
How would I go back to stock from Lineage, if anyone doesn't mind to tell me how.
Flash a kdz or stock zip

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

my software version is h91820h which guide should I use please?
This one, just flash the 10p kdz to go back to nougat and then follow the guide. I recommend lineage 16 but if your sensors aren't working flash lineage 15.1 first, set it up, then dirty flash lineage 16. The sensors don't work on my H918 unless I flash lineage 15.1 then 16

Last edited:
Reactions: Nachitoo

rcboosted

Nov 13, 2010
Is this thread still supported? I hope so. I ran into the encryption unsuccessful issue. I unlocked the bootloader, now every time I start up, it says it's unlocked, as well as verified via fastboot getvar unlocked, it showed unlocked: yes. I flashed to a fresh 10p using uppercut, booted up FWUL, double click on LG LAF (runningnak3d), git pull, git checkout h918-miscwrte, ./step1.sh All ran fine.

Then boot into OS, signed in etc, set up developer mode, allow oem etc etc, boot into TWRP by holding vol up and plugging in. ran step2.sh, it did it's thing, says TWRP flashed to recovery etc etc. I reboot the phone, and I get the encryption error. I tried factory reset using TWRP, tried advanced wipe of dalvik, data and cache, flashed Magisk. same thing.

I started over again, flashed lafrestore, flashed 10p via uppercut, and did everything again just to make sure I am starting from a known state. But same thing happened. What am I doing wrong?

kish9046

Dec 22, 2016
Is this thread still supported? I hope so. I ran into the encryption unsuccessful issue. I unlocked the bootloader, now every time I start up, it says it's unlocked, as well as verified via fastboot getvar unlocked, it showed unlocked: yes. I flashed to a fresh 10p using uppercut, booted up FWUL, double click on LG LAF (runningnak3d), git pull, git checkout h918-miscwrte, ./step1.sh All ran fine.

Then boot into OS, signed in etc, set up developer mode, allow oem etc etc, boot into TWRP by holding vol up and plugging in. ran step2.sh, it did it's thing, says TWRP flashed to recovery etc etc. I reboot the phone, and I get the encryption error. I tried factory reset using TWRP, tried advanced wipe of dalvik, data and cache, flashed Magisk. same thing.

I started over again, flashed lafrestore, flashed 10p via uppercut, and did everything again just to make sure I am starting from a known state. But same thing happened. What am I doing wrong?

just skip step2 and flash recovery and magisk manually... you should be good to go.....

I'M not maintaining this thread as i switched to a different mobile and not using v20 now...

Thank u ALL...

rcboosted

Nov 13, 2010
just skip step2 and flash recovery and magisk manually... you should be good to go.....

I'M not maintaining this thread as i switched to a different mobile and not using v20 now...

Thank u ALL...

I will give that a try. Thank you for all your work supporting this thread.

*edit* skipping step2 and installing TWRP and Magisk manually worked!

Last edited:

15armitagem

Aug 18, 2019
LG Drivers link down?

It seems the link listed for the LG Drivers is down. I'm not sure what drivers I need specifically and I don't want to risk destroying my phone if I don't have them. Does anyone have a live link to them? Thanks :)

Edit: never mind, I found the updated link
tool.lime.gdms.lge.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=UW00120120425

Last edited:
Reactions: pierro78

ezzony

Jul 4, 2012
Dublin
LG V20
Just to satisfiy my curiosity - how is it that fastboot oem unlock works for the H918. Is that all that is done essentially and the rest of the procedure is just about getting twrp installed. One other thing...how long does it take for the H918 to boot past the initial warning screen? I'm on dirty santa us996 and it takes a whopping 30 seconds. I'm wondering if the H918 is faster.

beerninja

Jul 29, 2013
Guys I'm trying to flash over my existing TWRP old version to the current version 3.3.1 and it asks me which partition I want to flash to. I chose Recovery partition which worked but the only way to get there was to hold up on the volume button, plug in USB, it goes into old TWRP, then I choose reboot, then I choose Recovery.

Is there a way I can just get rid of old TWRP altogether so whenever I hold up on the volume control and plug in usb it goes straight to the latest version of TWRP?

mangokm40

Jan 13, 2019
Guys I'm trying to flash over my existing TWRP old version to the current version 3.3.1 and it asks me which partition I want to flash to. I chose Recovery partition which worked but the only way to get there was to hold up on the volume button, plug in USB, it goes into old TWRP, then I choose reboot, then I choose Recovery.

Is there a way I can just get rid of old TWRP altogether so whenever I hold up on the volume control and plug in usb it goes straight to the latest version of TWRP?

If you did the lafsploit, you have a version of TWRP in LAF partition and another in recovery partition.
Find the key combination to boot into recovery partition. You don't need the USB cable. I don't remember it.
When you boot to recovery, you should see the new TWRP.

beerninja

Jul 29, 2013
If you did the lafsploit, you have a version of TWRP in LAF partition and another in recovery partition.
Find the key combination to boot into recovery partition. You don't need the USB cable. I don't remember it.
When you boot to recovery, you should see the new TWRP.

Yep I was hoping to be able to get into TWRP with a button combination but I just learned that AO Rom erases the LAF partition automatically so it puts LG download mode back on VolUp + Power button.

The only button combos I know of are:
VolUP + USB plug = LG download mode (or LAFsploit TWRP if it exists)
VolDown + USB plug = fastboot mode
VolUp + VolDown + Power button = IMEI check

if there is some secret combo to enter recovery mode I would love to know :)

I just flashed AO Rom and noticed it kill my LAF partition so I downloaded a reboot app to reboot into recovery mode but I started panicking after none of them worked because I lost my root since I mistakenly flashed an older version of magisk from this guide instead of using the latest version. The reason I lost my root was because I kept tapping the upgrade magisk manager button haha. Anyway I was finally able to get back into recovery mode by using good old fashioned "adb reboot recovery" command

Now finally rooted and going to try the ps4 remote play which is the whole reason I rooted in the first place :good:

marcusrav

Nov 23, 2011
Miami
Having that same issue due to the same reason (tapping the upgrade magisk manager). except "adb reboot recovery" doesn't work. any ideas? also what version of magisk did you end up using?

grey45

Dec 22, 2018
Seattle
How do I flash the 3.2.3-4 TWRP Recovery with out a pc . I don't have a PC available and whant to install it by flashing it through flashfy to new TWRP Recovery using my phone to flas the new TWRP I need to k.ow if there is a flashabile 3.2.3-4 zip file img etc so I don't have to use a pc. I'm new at this and I could use some help here.the TWRP Recovery that I got right now isn't all that great and it is hard to open twrp recovery with out the phone automaticly rebooting when I just get into TWRP. So I can flash with flashfy app and sugsesfully flash .

pierro78

on 10q : do I need to flash 10p first ??

Thanks a lot for this guide !! :). I am a bit confused though : I am on 10q and the original developper ( runningnak3d ) says ( https://xdaforums.com/v20/how-to/root-lafsploit-h918-version-t3773443 ) that I don't need to go to 10p first ... so do I need to flash to 10p first ???? :D maybe there is a valid reason I should go to 10p first ? thanks ! :)

PS : just bought an h918 because it supports ubuntu touch https://xdaforums.com/v20/development/ubuntu-touch-wip-lgv20h918-t4002579 ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    STEP BY STEP GUIDE FOR LG V20 H918 UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER, DOWNGRADING, ROOTING AND INSTALLING CUSTOM ROMS (NOOB FRIENDLY)

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT THE DEVELOPER OF ANY OF THE BELOW SOFTWARE'S AND YOU PROCEED WITH YOUR OWN RISK AS THIS INVOLVES BRICKING OR DAMAGING YOUR MOBILE IF THE PROCEDURE IS NOT FOLLOWED CORRECTLY. I'M JUST SHARING THE WHOLE PROCESS WHICH I HAVE FOLLOWED TO ROOT AND INSTALL TWRP IN MY LGV20 H918 UNLOCKED T MOBILE.
    AND I HAVE TESTED THIS IN MY OWN DEVICE AND WAS ABLE TO ROOT AND ACHIEVE TWRP.
    THIS IS ONLY FOR LGV20 H918 VERSION

ENSURE INTERNET IS UP AND RUNNING IN YOUR PC

EDIT: THE WHOLE PROCESS HAS NOW BEEN AUTOMATED IN TWO SIMPLE STEPS TO PREVENT ANY POTENTIAL DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE. THANKS TO THE LAFSPLOIT CREATOR BRIAN @runningnak3d.

JUST FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE BELOW AND YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR DEVICE ROOTED IN NO TIME

1. BACKUP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT DATA BEFORE PROCEEDING.

2.MAKE SURE YOU HAVE CHARGED YOUR PHONE TO AT LEAST 90 PERCENT

CHECK YOUR PHONE SOFTWARE VERSION IN SETTINGS---ABOUT PHONE----SOFTWARE INFO
    IF IT IS ANYTHING BETWEEN H91810P TO H91810U MEANS IT IS ARB1 (ANTI ROLL BACK 1) AND YOU NEED TO USE LAFSPLOIT METHOD TO ROOT AND INSTALL TWRP,
    IF YOUR VERSION IS H91810O OR BELOW (ARB0), YOU CAN EITHER USE DIRTYCOW OR LAFSPLOIT METHOD FOR THE SAME.
    IF YOU ARE ON ARB1, PLEASE FOLLOW THE METHOD BELOW,

PART 1: DOWNGRADING

IF YOUR VERSION IS H91810 (Q, R, S, T, U) YOU NEED TO DOWNGRADE TO A LOWER VERSION ( H91810P) TO EXECUTE LAFSPLOIT.

IF YOU ARE ALREADY ON H91810P, YOU STILL NEED TO RE FLASH THE H91810P KDZ AGAIN FOR THE LAFSPLOIT SCRIPT TO WORK CORRECTLY.

DOWNLOAD H91810P KDZ FILE FROM BELOW
    https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=282709

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL ALL THE FILES BELOW IN YOUR PC
    UPPERCUT AND LGUP----
    http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/Flash_Tools/LGUP/
    LG DRIVERS---
    http://tool.cdn.gdms.lge.com/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=UW00120120425

CONNECT YOUR MOBILE TO YOUR PC IN DOWNLOAD MODE (SWITCH OFF YOUR MOBILE AND CONNECT THE USB FROM PC WHILE HOLDING THE VOLUME UP BUTTON SIMULTANEOUSLY)

RUN UPPERCUT.EXE WHICH WOULD OPEN LG'S UPDATER TOOL AUTOMATICALLY.
    INSIDE THE LG UPDATER TOOL, CLICK ON BIN AND SELECT THE H91810P KDZ FILE DOWNLOADED EARLIER.
    NOW SELECT UPGRADE AND FLASH
    ENSURE THE USB CABLE IS CONNECTED THROUGH THE FLASHING PROCESS AND WAIT FOR YOUR PHONE TO REBOOT AND THEN REMOVE THE USB CABLE.

CHECK THE SOFTWARE VERSION AND ENSURE IT IS H91810P

PART 2: UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER

HEAD TO SETTINGS---ABOUT PHONE----SOFTWARE INFO (ENSURE IT IS H91810P)
    ENABLE DEVELOPER OPTION IN YOUR PHONE BY CLICKING ON THE BUILD NUMBER MULTIPLE TIMES
    NOW HEAD TO SETTINGS---DEVELOPER OPTIONS
    TURN ON OEM UNLOCKING, ENABLE USB DEBUGGING AND DISABLE 'VERIFY APPS OVER USB'
    NOW CONNECT YOUR PHONE TO PC AND OPEN ADB COMMAND CENTER PROMPT IN YOUR PC

adb devices---->CHECK IF YOUR MOBILE IS CORRECTLY RECOGNIZED IN ADB
    adb reboot bootloader--->THIS REBOOTS YOUR DEVICE IN FASTBOOT MODE
    fastboot devices---->CHECK IF YOUR MOBILE IS CORRECTLY RECOGNIZED IN FASTBOOT
    fastboot oem unlock---->THIS COMMAND WOULD UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER AND RESET's YOUR DEVICE.
    fastboot oem device-info OR fastboot getvar unlocked ----->THIS WOULD CONFIRM IF YOUR BOOTLOADER HAS BEEN UNLOCKED OR NOT.
    fastboot reboot-----> THIS WOULD REBOOT YOUR DEVICE

IF THE BOOTLOADER HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY UNLOCKED, THE DEVICE WILL SHOW AN UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER WARNING MESSAGE WHILE BOOTING (THIS CAN BE IGNORED OF COURSE)

PART 3: CREATING A BOOTABLE LINUX USB USING FWUL

DOWNLOAD FWUL_v2.7_x86_64_15GB.zip FROM THE LINK BELOW AND EXTRACT THE IMAGE FILE SOMEWHERE IN YOUR PC.
    https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=214529

DOWNLOAD RUFUS FROM BELOW AND INSTALL
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/

INSERT A PEN DRIVE IN YOUR PC AND RUN RUFUS.

INSIDE RUFUS SELECT THE IMAGE FILE AND SELECT START (AFTER SELECTING START SELECT DD MODE IN THE DIALOGUE BOX) TO CREATE A BOOTABLE PEN DRIVE (WARNING: THIS WOULD FORMAT YOUR PEN DRIVE)

NOW YOU SHOULD BOOT YOUR PC FROM THE BOOTABLE USB STICK WHICH YOU HAVE JUST CREATED
    THIS WOULD MAKE YOUR PC RUN LINUX OS
    TYPE PASSWORD AS linux AND ENTER

PART 4: INSTALLING TWRP AND ROOTING USING LAFSPLOIT

BEFORE PROCEEDING ENSURE YOU BOOT YOUR PHONE AND DONE ALL THE BASIC SETTINGS

NOW HEAD TO THE DEVELOPER OPTIONS IN YOUR DEVICE AND ENSURE OEM UNLOCKING AND USB DEBUGGING ARE SWITCHED ON.

NOW CONNECT YOUR DEVICE TO THE PC (RUNNING LINUX OS FROM PENDRIVE) IN DOWNLOAD MODE (SWITCH OFF YOUR MOBILE AND CONNECT THE USB FROM PC WHILE HOLDING THE VOLUME UP BUTTON SIMULTANEOUSLY)

DOUBLE CLICK ON THE LG FOLDER INSIDE FWUL DESKTOP
    INSIDE THAT, DOUBLE CLICK ON LGLAF(RUNNINGNAK3D) ICON WHICH WILL OPEN A TERMINAL
    ENTER THE BELOW COMMANDS

git pull
    git checkout h918-miscwrte
    ./step1.sh

THE ABOVE COMMAND FLASHES TWRP RECOVERY ONTO YOUR DEVICE.
    WAIT AND PULL OUT YOUR DEVICE WHEN IT ASKS TO.

RECOMMENDED: NOW THAT TWRP HAS SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED, YOU CAN MANUALLY FORMAT,FLASH LATEST TWRP RECOVERY AND USE ANY METHOD LIKE MAGISK OR SU FOR ROOTING.

INSIDE TWRP RECOVERY. FIRST FORMAT USING WIPE--ADVANCED FORMAT--TYPE yes AND FULL DO A FULL FORMAT, THEN FLASH MAGISK AND THE LATEST TWRP RECOVERY BELOW.

MAGISK ZIP DOWNLOAD:
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/v16.0/Magisk-v16.0.zip

LATEST TWRP BY PHOENIX(H918):
    https://xdaforums.com/v20/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-1-0-t3720239

OR
    IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT FORMATTING AND FLASHING, JUST USE THE BELOW COMMAND TO DO ALL THE WORK AUTOMATICALLY

CONNECT YOUR DEVICE AGAIN IN DOWNLOAD MODE AND ENTER THE FOLLOWING COMMAND

./step2.sh

THE ABOVE COMMAND FORMATS YOUR DEVICE AND FLASHES MAGISK TO ACQUIRE ROOT.

TIP : IF YOU FACE ANY ENCRYPTION ERROR AFTER USING STEP2. SH, DO A ADVANCED FORMAT WITHIN TWRP AND FLASH MAGISK AND LATEST TWRP BY PHOENIX MANUALLY.

YOU ARE NOW ROOTED WITH TWRP RECOVERY INSTALLED.

REMEMBER TO BACK UP THE CURRENT ROM BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING..... DO CHECK POST #2 FOR OTHER TWEAKS

IF YOU WISH TO UPDATE TO LATEST STOCK (10U) AND KEEP ROOT AND TWRP, JUST FOLLOW THIS LINK AND DO REMEMBER TO ROOT USING MAGISK AFTER FLASHING THE ROM BEFORE YOU BOOT.

https://xdaforums.com/v20/development/rom-h91810q-stock-rom-twrp-flashable-zip-t3681312

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL THE DEVOLEPERS WHO HAVE CREATED THE ABOVE SOFTWARES WITHOUT WHICH THIS ISNT POSSIBLE.

CREDITS:

@autoprime FOR HIS UPPERCUT TOOL
    @steadfasterX FOR HIS FWUL TOOL
    @Phoenix591 FOR HIS WORKS ON TWRP RECOVERY

AND FINALLY, @runningnak3d FOR HIS EXCELLENT WORK IN ROOTING OUR DEVICE :good:
    WHAT NEXT?
    NOW THAT YOU HAVE ROOTED YOUR MOBILE, I WOULD RECOMMEND DOING THE BELOW TWEAKS FOR FURTHER ENHANCED EXPERIENCE....

1.THERMAL THROTTLING
    IF YOUR ARE STILL ON A STOCK BASED ROM , I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO RECONFIGURE YOUR THERMAL FILE TO PREVENT ANY POSSIBLE LAG WHEN USING EXTENSIVELY...

FIRST DOWNLOAD THE FILE BELOW:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0W3xXHgfOxvLUpKNWhrWDE0TDg/view

USE A ROOT EXPLORER (PREFERABLY ES EXPLORER) AND GO TO ROOT/SYSTEM/ETC.
    YOU SHOULD HAVE A FILE NAMED thermal-engine-8996.conf
    RENAME IT TO thermal-engine-8996.conf.bak (JUST FOR A BACKUP IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG)

ENSURE THE ABOVE DOWNLOADED FILE IS IN .conf FORMAT
    IF IT ISN'T , RENAME TO thermal-engine-8996.conf
    NOW SAVE THE FILE TO THE SAME DIRECTORY VIZ ROOT/SYSTEM/ETC
    GIVE PERMISSION TO THIS FILE TO rw-r--r-- USING THE ROOT EXPLORER ( SELECT FILE--->PERMISSION--->READ WRITE, READ, READ)
    FINALLY SAVE AND REBOOT.

THIS WOULD OVERWRITE THE THERMAL LINKED PERFORMANCE OF THE CPU TO AVOID ANY LAG WHEN USING EXTENSIVELY.

2. RCTD REMOVER

ALSO I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO REMOVE THE LG'S RCTD CCMD AND TRITON MONITORS AS THESE WOULD RUN CONTINUOUSLY IN A ROOTED LG PHONE AND CONSUME LOT OF RESOURCES...
    JUST INSTALL THE RCTD REMOVER APP FROM BELOW LINK:

https://labs.xda-developers.com/store/app/com.zacharee1.rctdremoverforlg

GRANT SU PERMISSION AND CHECK THE DESIRED FILES (I CHOSE ALL THREE FILES) AND CLICK ON PATCH, FLASH IMAGE AND REBOOT (THIS WOULD PATCH THE BOOT FILE, SO AGAIN IT IS ADVISABLE TO CREATE A BACKUP OF THE CURRENT BOOT IMAGE USING TWRP OR WITHIN THIS APP ITSELF)

3. SCREEN CALIBRATION:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grarak.kerneladiutor

INSTALL KERNAL AUDITOR APP FROM PLAY STORE AND GRANT SU ACCESS
    CHANGE THE BELOW VALUES WITHIN THIS APP (SCREEN SETTINGS)
    Minimum RGB value = 35
    Saturation Intensity = 27
    Screen Hue = 1520
    Screen Value = 112
    Screen Contrast = 132

THIS WOULD SOMEWHAT REDUCE THE BLUE TINGE AND GHOST APPEARANCES OF THE SCREEN

CREDITS: @Holyman007 for his thermal tweak @Zacharee1 for his rctd remover app
    I was just about to create a post asking for a step by step for dummies so thank you very much for this! Going to do this sometime tomorrow or Tuesday and will update if I succeed or not. :good:

Got a question. Does this method stop the second screen from working?

this would end up with a stock rooted phone with twrp recovery if all the methods are correctly followed..
    ......final result would be.... you would end up with a rooted stock rom with a twrp recovery....

your second screen will work perfectly.....

please let me know if you need a different thread for installing custom rom, and to reduce the lag., install sound mod to get maximum sound output and customize second screen... i will create a noob friendly thread for these as well......
    All this stuff can be found already in the forums so you posting guides is redundant js

Thanks for the suggestion... but i thought this would help noobs like me to explore more about our device without doing any harm to it.....
    Glad someone actually laid it out step by step.