Step by step guide to update Oneplus 6 to 11.1.1.1 while preserving root

Search This thread

JerryGoyal

Jan 23, 2013
new delhi
www.jerrygoyal.com
I've been using below steps to update my OP6 while preserving root. Thought of sharing with you all :)

I've been using this method for all recent updates like 9.0.9 ->10.3.0->10.3.5->10.3.6->10.3.7->10.3.8->10.3.9->10.3.11->11.1.1.1

My OP6 info:
TWRP: 3.2.3-x | blu_spark v9.91
Magisk: 23.0

Steps:
enable system update app if it's disabled
nandroid backup (optional)
enable any disabled system apps like youtube
- download OTA updated zip: via Oxygen Updater App -> Full Update option
- Install it: System Settings -> Local Upgrade option (don't reboot).
- Once installed: go to Magisk -> run TWRP retention script from osm0sis (don't reboot).
- Again in Magisk, install magisk -> install to inactive slot (don't reboot yet).
- Then on modules list, disable all modules and then finally...
- Reboot, this reboot will take some minutes...
- after reboot, re enable all modules and everything will work perfectly.
The System Updater and Magisk do all the work, never ever once having to boot into recovery.

fullbazak

Jan 12, 2015
I've been using below steps to update my OP6 while preserving root. Thought of sharing with you all :)

I've been using this method for all recent updates like 9.0.9 ->10.3.0->10.3.5->10.3.6->10.3.7->10.3.8->10.3.9->10.3.11->11.1.1.1

My OP6 info:

Steps:
- Once installed: go to Magisk -> run TWRP retention script from osm0sis (don't reboot).
- Again in Magisk, install magisk -> install to inactive slot (don't reboot yet).
The System Updater and Magisk do all the work, never ever once having to boot into recovery.
Hi guys How I can #root OnePlus 6 in oxygen os 11.1.1.1??? said: And how install #TWRP OnePlus 6 in oxygen os 11.1.1.1??? Can't install TWRP in android 11 crashed OnePlus 6 The in Oxygen os 11.1.1.1 very slowly #speed phone OnePlus 6 and very slowly and poor Network? Don't use high speed Network? Don't use high speed phone? Please help me Thanks

alejoar

Jan 6, 2011

My OP6 info:

Steps:
Super useful, thank you!

richardmace

May 25, 2016
OnePlus 6
Hi guys How I can #root OnePlus 6 in oxygen os 11.1.1.1??? said: And how install #TWRP OnePlus 6 in oxygen os 11.1.1.1??? Can't install TWRP in android 11 crashed OnePlus 6 The in Oxygen os 11.1.1.1 very slowly #speed phone OnePlus 6 and very slowly and poor Network? Don't use high speed Network? Don't use high speed phone? Please help me Thanks
I've got the same issue
Let me know here if you find a fix for installation of TWRP under 11.1.1.1 please?

mermaidkiller

Jul 25, 2011
With rooted version 10.3.x I updated this way without any problems:

* Download full stock rom (same as from OxygenUpdater), latest TWRP (now 3.5) and lastest Magisk (now 23.0) onto sdcard of device.
* Reboot into TWRP recovery
* Flash stock ROM and then TWRP without intermediate reboot
* Reboot into TWRP recovery again
* Flash Magisk
* Reboot normally.

I left all disabled system apps such as e.g. Youtube app, disabled. I did the update manually without using Oxygenupdater, the latter only for verifying the MD5 of the ROM.

Can this also be done with flashing 11.1.1 ROM ?

richardmace

May 25, 2016
OnePlus 6

My OP6 info:

Steps:
Sorry, please explain "modules list". In what context is this please?

eethball

Mar 14, 2008
Quick note. Do not re-enable Smali Patcher if that was one of your previously enabled modules. The framework used to create the patch was from the previous android OS version, so it'll just spin when booting. To fix it follow the official recommendation from the smali patcher FAQ which is Boot into TWRP > Advanced > File Manager > navigate to data > adb > modules > select the module directory (in this case "fomey.smalipatcher" > folder icon in the bottom right > delete.

ashish1989

Aug 22, 2014
Ghaziabad

* Download full stock rom (same as from OxygenUpdater), latest TWRP (now 3.5) and lastest Magisk (now 23.0) onto sdcard of device.
* Flash Magisk
* Reboot normally.

I left all disabled system apps such as e.g. Youtube app, disabled. I did the update manually without using Oxygenupdater, the latter only for verifying the MD5 of the ROM.

Have you used this method earlier in earlier versions
Hi @JerryGoyal need TWRP retention script which you have mentioned in your post, kindly share the link here

Static-xy

Jun 6, 2014

* Flash Magisk
* Reboot normally.

Which TWRP version and Magisk version did you use?

mrsureshisha

Sep 4, 2012
Chennai
OnePlus 6
A very big thanks to you bro!
Before Updation:
--------------------
My OP6 info:
v 9.0.9

After Updation:
------------------
Now My OP6 info:
v11.1.1.1
TWRP: 3.2.3-x | blu_spark v9.91 (But its not accepting the password, so not decrypting)

Any suggestions regarding TWRP to work.

ereghro

Feb 6, 2012
I have been using the same method for updating open betas. Now there is official november update.. Is it possible to update to official rom from open beta using this method without losing data and root?

dsb9938

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2010
Edison, NJ

My OP6 info:

Steps:
Thank you.

maigre

Aug 9, 2012
Does the method in the OP work for updating from 11.1.1.1 to 11.1.2.2? Or is it only for updating from earlier versions of Oxygen to 11.x?

pjnaz7

Oct 13, 2014
OnePlus 6
@JerryGoyal .
Hi, I am on OP6 on OOS version 10.3.5 with Magisk root version 21.4 and twrp recovery. Also XXX nolimts Rom installed. I have no issues with the current version of OOS, and have disabled the update with 'Xxx nolimits' rom. I am unable to use banking apps since the Magisk hide apparently doesn't work for them. Only 'phonepe' works till now, but it's only a matter of time when they behave like 'yono sbi' app too. I have heard that this is because of the safetynet check failure. I have tried installing the module 'universal safetynet fix' but it didn't work. I have an unlocked bootloader as well, I don't know if that is relevant. Please help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

My OP6 info:

Steps: