Step by Step guides on rooting / un-rooting the T-mobile LG V10 for MM 6.0

Search This thread

jun19inf

Sep 25, 2007
Kent, WA
Hello everyone,

Here are some step by step guides for those of you who need detailed instructions for rooting and un-rooting the T-mobile LG V10.
The guides are short and to the point and are meant to be followed one after the other (STEP#1 --> STEP#2 --> STEP#3).
For the step#3 guide, you must choose one out of the three available:
UnRoot, stock, or custom MM 6.0

Guides:
Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_1
Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_2

Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Stock_UnRoot_MM_6_0_STEP_3 <------ If you want to just have stock MM 6.0 only (no root, use this if you want to return the phone or sell it)
Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Root_Stock_MM_6_0_STEP_3 <------ If you want to just have stock MM 6.0 with root only
Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Root_Custom_MM_6_0_STEP_3 <------ If you want to have a custom MM 6.0 ROM with root
Tmobile-LGV10_Dirty_Cow_Root_MM_6_0 <------ If you want to gain root access on your stock MM 6.0 rom using the "dirty cow" exploit

The guides will walk you through:
  • Downloading and Installing the necessary drivers / tools
  • Unlocking your bootloader
  • Flashing the stock .kdz file
  • Flashing the rooted .TOT file
  • Using TWRP to gain root status

I assume the following:
  • Your T-mobile LG V10 phone is already on MM 6.0 not lollipop
  • If you are on lollipop YOU MUST follow the guides below in the exact order listed:
    Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Root_Stock_MM_6_0_STEP_3
    (If you don't, YOU WILL brick your phone! Also, keep in mind that once you upgrade to MM 6.0 YOU WILL NOT be able to downgrade!!)
  • You are using a Microsoft Windows operating system (Windows 7 or above)
  • You understand that all data on your phone will be deleted
  • You understand that your warranty is now gone
  • You understand that YOU MUST follow the guides one after the other (1 -> 2 -> 3). If you deviate from this YOU WILL NOT be successful in rooting your phone
  • You understand that YOU MUST follow the steps in the guides one after the other (1 -> 2 -> 3). If you deviate from this YOU WILL NOT be successful in rooting your phone
  • Your phone's USB PC Connection (mode your phone is in when connected to your PC) is on Media device (MTP) mode. ADB and Fastboot commands to the device WILL NOT work if device is not on this mode

***Un-root***
  • If you want to "un-root" your device (go back to default stock) use the Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Stock_UnRoot_MM_6_0_STEP_3 guide.
    (Keep in mind that this WILL DELETE all data on the phone)

***Fastboot device not detected issue***

***Dirty Cow Exploit for Root***
  • I have added a new guide Tmobile-LGV10_Dirty_Cow_Root_MM_6_0 for those of you who would like to use the "Dirty Cow" exploit to gain root access
  • Link to download the guide (in case the guide attached to this thread is not showing): Click --> Tmobile-LGV10_Dirty_Cow_Root_MM_6_0
  • Using this exploit will allow you to install TWRP on your phone which allows you to install SuperSU.
  • Yes, this method to gain root works on the new software update H90120L as well as the older ones
  • You will have to first complete all of the steps in the guides listed below before attempting to use the Dirty Cow exploit.
    - Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_1
    - Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_2
  • Keep in mind that this exploit will eventually be patched
  • I am not responsible for what you do to your phone

***Disclaimer***
  • I take no responsibility in what you do to your phone
  • The step-by-step guides in this thread were made with the assumption that you will strictly follow them one after the other.
    (If you don't, YOU WILL brick your phone!)
  • READ! READ! READ! Search this thread, read the guides one by one step by step, and pay attention to detail! Most problems have solutions, you just have to do a little homework.
  • If you run into an problem, verify that you have correctly completed all the steps for each guide before posting to this thread. Most problems come from guides / steps that were skipped.
  • Not all phones are created equal. What works for one person's phone might not work for your phone. Some phones have hardware issues
    that may not arise until you attempt to circumvent security aka (root, install TWRP, etc.)
  • Use a laptop that is fully charged and plugged in to an outlet instead of a regular PC (unless it has a UPS attached to it) just in case you lose power during the flashing process.
    (If you use a regular PC without a UPS attached to it and you lose power during the flashing process, YOU WILL brick your phone!)

I would like to thank the following people:

Tungkick
  • For his support
  • Root for both (H90120e and H90120j) <-- You are the man sir!!
  • Instructions on flashing and recovering from boot-loop
Anyone else I forgot to mention and or involved in allowing the rest of us to get root on our beloved LG V10 phones again. The android community is awesome!!!
Please leave a thank you if you find any of this helpful

:D:D:D

Attachments

• Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_2.pdf
    476.3 KB · Views: 8,434
  • Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Root_Stock_MM_6_0_STEP_3.pdf
    382.6 KB · Views: 7,953
  • Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Root_Custom_MM_6_0_STEP_3.pdf
    388.8 KB · Views: 4,304
  • Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Stock_UnRoot_MM_6_0_STEP_3.pdf
    293.8 KB · Views: 3,476
  • Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_1.pdf
    448.9 KB · Views: 5,213
  • Tmobile-LGV10_Dirty_Cow_Root_MM_6_0.pdf
    470.9 KB · Views: 1,884
Last edited:

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
ok, so here is my progress

started at never been rooted stock MM
unlocked bootloader
followed all steps in this guide (and from original posts)
at TWRP screen after .tot flash i chose read only - couldnt wipe or anything (errors)
adb sideload wouldnt work either
used tungkick's recommendation
adb shell
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/misc
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/fota
reboot
then i saw this and panicked a bit
IMG_20160519_224251.jpg

pulled battery
held volume down/power/ etc to get to recovery
still twrp
attempted to wipe... filed

just went ahead and flashed Eliminater74's latest part2
reboot

and.....

I am rooted 6.0!!
all seems to work great so far!

will report back if i find issues

XDA has the best people, big thanks to @tungkick and @Eliminater74
and anyone else who helped along the way!

Last edited:
Reactions: Beefvvl

tungkick

Nov 21, 2012
If phone have boot error then still reboot can not put twrp pls flash file this:
Fix phone boot veri......fail
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8mSVItI_cqRMXZ6cjBpVFdGVTA/view?usp=sharing
File tot only add bootloader can unlock in fastboot .
Flash kdz 6.0> flash file tot> go to develop option > enabable oem unlock and usb debugging> adb reboot bootloader> fastboot oem unlock> phone unlock now>> flash next file tot have add twrp again> phone can put twrp ok.

jaysonic88

Mar 21, 2016
Brentwood
Hello everyone,
I made a step by step guide on how I managed to flash my LG V10 (tmobile) using the recently released files / methods. Hopefully this guide helps. Thank you.

• Eliminater74 <-- great work with his roms / files
• Tungkick <-- followed his instructions on flashing and recovering from bootloop
• Anyone else I forgot to mention and or involved in allowing the rest of us to get root on our beloved LG V10 phones again. The android community is awesome!!
Wow, well articulated and simple step-by-step instructions. How much do you charge per hour....we should contract you for all installs. :)

Reactions: Swizzle82

Swizzle82

Dec 20, 2013
Texas
Is it possible to do this and still retain data? Like not wipe data in twrp, or does it automatically wipe when flashing the tot file? I've had to flash one kdz in the past 3 years and that was to upgrade to mm, it didn't wipe data though. I'm assuming it's basically the same process with the tot?

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
Is it possible to do this and still retain data? Like not wipe data in twrp, or does it automatically wipe when flashing the tot file? I've had to flash one kdz in the past 3 years and that was to upgrade to mm, it didn't wipe data though. I'm assuming it's basically the same process with the tot?

Just use LG Backup. When I used it it restored even my side loaded apps.

This method requires a wipe so it will erase everything.

guytano86

Mar 6, 2010
California, United States
Awesome about to attempt this will report back.

Sent from my LG-H901 using XDA-Developers mobile app
Guys make sure you unlock the bootloader first
http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-lg-v10/general/t-mobile-bootloader-factory-unlocked-t3236224

otherwise it wouldn't work.

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

Im rooted now Yay!!!

Reactions: Jaimesco12

gaad0701

Mar 7, 2011
Albertville, MN
The only problem I have with this is that I'm going up north after work tomorrow and won't have time until Tuesday to root. ?

But seriously, great write up! And thanks for taking the time to make it simple!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jun19inf

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

Here are some step by step guides for those of you who need detailed instructions for rooting and un-rooting the T-mobile LG V10.
    The guides are short and to the point and are meant to be followed one after the other (STEP#1 --> STEP#2 --> STEP#3).
    For the step#3 guide, you must choose one out of the three available:
    UnRoot, stock, or custom MM 6.0

Guides:

Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Stock_UnRoot_MM_6_0_STEP_3 <------ If you want to just have stock MM 6.0 only (no root, use this if you want to return the phone or sell it)
    Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Root_Stock_MM_6_0_STEP_3 <------ If you want to just have stock MM 6.0 with root only
    Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Root_Custom_MM_6_0_STEP_3 <------ If you want to have a custom MM 6.0 ROM with root
    Tmobile-LGV10_Dirty_Cow_Root_MM_6_0 <------ If you want to gain root access on your stock MM 6.0 rom using the "dirty cow" exploit

The guides will walk you through:
    • Downloading and Installing the necessary drivers / tools
    • Unlocking your bootloader
    • Flashing the stock .kdz file
    • Flashing the rooted .TOT file
    • Using TWRP to gain root status

I assume the following:
    • Your T-mobile LG V10 phone is already on MM 6.0 not lollipop
    • If you are on lollipop YOU MUST follow the guides below in the exact order listed:
      Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Root_Stock_MM_6_0_STEP_3
      (If you don't, YOU WILL brick your phone! Also, keep in mind that once you upgrade to MM 6.0 YOU WILL NOT be able to downgrade!!)
    • You are using a Microsoft Windows operating system (Windows 7 or above)
    • You understand that all data on your phone will be deleted
    • You understand that your warranty is now gone
    • You understand that YOU MUST follow the guides one after the other (1 -> 2 -> 3). If you deviate from this YOU WILL NOT be successful in rooting your phone
    • You understand that YOU MUST follow the steps in the guides one after the other (1 -> 2 -> 3). If you deviate from this YOU WILL NOT be successful in rooting your phone
    • Your phone's USB PC Connection (mode your phone is in when connected to your PC) is on Media device (MTP) mode. ADB and Fastboot commands to the device WILL NOT work if device is not on this mode

***Un-root***
    • If you want to "un-root" your device (go back to default stock) use the Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Stock_UnRoot_MM_6_0_STEP_3 guide.
      (Keep in mind that this WILL DELETE all data on the phone)

***Fastboot device not detected issue***

***Dirty Cow Exploit for Root***
    • I have added a new guide Tmobile-LGV10_Dirty_Cow_Root_MM_6_0 for those of you who would like to use the "Dirty Cow" exploit to gain root access
    • Link to download the guide (in case the guide attached to this thread is not showing): Click --> Tmobile-LGV10_Dirty_Cow_Root_MM_6_0
    • Using this exploit will allow you to install TWRP on your phone which allows you to install SuperSU.
    • Yes, this method to gain root works on the new software update H90120L as well as the older ones
    • You will have to first complete all of the steps in the guides listed below before attempting to use the Dirty Cow exploit.
      - Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_1
      - Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_2
    • Keep in mind that this exploit will eventually be patched
    • I am not responsible for what you do to your phone

***Disclaimer***
    • I take no responsibility in what you do to your phone
    • The step-by-step guides in this thread were made with the assumption that you will strictly follow them one after the other.
      (If you don't, YOU WILL brick your phone!)
    • READ! READ! READ! Search this thread, read the guides one by one step by step, and pay attention to detail! Most problems have solutions, you just have to do a little homework.
    • If you run into an problem, verify that you have correctly completed all the steps for each guide before posting to this thread. Most problems come from guides / steps that were skipped.
    • Not all phones are created equal. What works for one person's phone might not work for your phone. Some phones have hardware issues
      that may not arise until you attempt to circumvent security aka (root, install TWRP, etc.)
    • Use a laptop that is fully charged and plugged in to an outlet instead of a regular PC (unless it has a UPS attached to it) just in case you lose power during the flashing process.
      (If you use a regular PC without a UPS attached to it and you lose power during the flashing process, YOU WILL brick your phone!)

Tungkick
    • For his support
    • Root for both (H90120e and H90120j) <-- You are the man sir!!
    • Instructions on flashing and recovering from boot-loop
    Anyone else I forgot to mention and or involved in allowing the rest of us to get root on our beloved LG V10 phones again. The android community is awesome!!!
    Please leave a thank you if you find any of this helpful

:D:D:D
    Thanks, but i can't seem to find one for our model

Sent from my LG-H901 using XDA-Developers mobile app

This is for the V10 only:
    1. Download the xposed framework xposed-v84-sdk23-arm64.zip from the following link:
      http://dl-xda.xposed.info/framework/sdk23/arm64/xposed-v84-sdk23-arm64.zip
    2. Download the xposed installer (XposedInstaller_3.0-alpha4.apk) from the following link:
      http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3383776&d=1435601440
    3. Copy both files to the SD-CARD of your phone
    4. Restart your phone into TWRP
    5. Press INSTALL
    6. Flash the xposed-v84-sdk23-arm64.zip
    7. Restart your phone and let it start normally
    8. Go to Settings
    9. Go to the General tab
    10. Scroll down to Fingerprints & security
    11. Scroll down to the Phone Administration Category
    12. Make sure there is a check mark on the Unknown Sources option
    13. Open a file manager
    14. Go to the location of the xposed apk
    15. Install the xposed Installer 3.0 Alpha 4 apk
    16. Settings -> General Tag -> Fingerprints & security, remove the check mark next to Unknown Sources option
    17. Start the xposed app (you will have to download some plugins)

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)
    Confirmed Root Testers:
    jun19inf
    guytano86
    demkantor
    jamiesco12
    nymica

Thanks for the great write up!

Also.... first!! :p
    Thank you very much! Two things, how do I "search through the files" and also can you give me a brief explanation of Dirty Cow exploit? Like does it work if already on Marshmallow and can I get TWRP with it?

Again I thank you so much, and sorry if I sound uninformed, that's why I'm here asking questions. Thank you mate!

Hello felekks,
    Your question about "searching through the files" is better suited in the Android development section due to the fact that you are basically asking how to compare the stock archive of system files untouched (.kdz) versus a modified archive (.tot) file for that phone. I would simply just ask one of the developers in that section and take it from there. Keep in mind that "searching through the files" is not and will not be as easy as it sounds. If you are not a programmer or are somewhat new to how to build or modify an Android ROM then all of this will be rather confusing and difficult not to mention dangerous as messing with any system file can render your phone useless (bricked).

For your question about the dirty cow exploit:
    A race condition was found in the way the Linux kernel's memory subsystem handled the copy-on-write (COW) breakage of private read-only memory mappings. An unprivileged local user could use this flaw to gain write access to otherwise read-only memory mappings and thus increase their privileges on the system. Right now the exploit works on Android 6.0+ (Marshmallow) and 7.0 (Nougat). The moment you achieve success with the exploit, you can push the TWRP program file to the phone. If you follow the guide in this thread you will see what I mean. Keep in mind since the exploit is classified as a "bug" it will most definitely get patched.

I understand your concern when it comes to flashing modified files to your phone not knowing if they contain malicious programs but keep in mind that doing a little homework (which you are doing now by searching and asking questions) can save you from a huge mess. The XDA community is vast and awesome with many incredibly gifted members. Files that come through here are relatively safe as long as you know what you are doing when using them. You'll notice that there are developers that have been here for a long time who push out these files on a regular basis. The community has tremendous trust in them. Remember one thing, bad files are flagged and banned pretty quickly but this is no substitute for your own due diligence. If something seems off to you them let everyone know!

By the way, don't apologize for asking questions. That is what the XDA forums are for. As a community, we all help each other. :):D
    If phone have boot error then still reboot can not put twrp pls flash file this:
    Fix phone boot veri......fail
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8mSVItI_cqRMXZ6cjBpVFdGVTA/view?usp=sharing
    File tot only add bootloader can unlock in fastboot .
    Flash kdz 6.0> flash file tot> go to develop option > enabable oem unlock and usb debugging> adb reboot bootloader> fastboot oem unlock> phone unlock now>> flash next file tot have add twrp again> phone can put twrp ok.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone