Step by Step guides on rooting / un-rooting the T-mobile LG V10 for MM 6.0

Search This thread

jun19inf

Sep 25, 2007
Kent, WA
Okay thanks but you could also us flashfly or rashr

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Really ? Where could I find this rom so I can get back to 20L ?

In the developer's section look for a thread called [ROM] [STOCK] [H901] V10_H901_V20L Update: [11/12/2016], The OP there is Eliminator74. The custom ROM he provides is based on the 20L software code. Read through his instructions to flash the custom ROM.

xXCoolGuYXx

Apr 16, 2014
In the developer's section look for a thread called [ROM] [STOCK] [H901] V10_H901_V20L Update: [11/12/2016], The OP there is Eliminator74. The custom ROM he provides is based on the 20L software code. Read through his instructions to flash the custom ROM.

Okay thanks I'll look in to it

xXCoolGuYXx

Apr 16, 2014
It's part of the tmobile application installed on the phone more specifically, it's a diagnostic check. I've always used TWRP manager from the play store to update the TWRP application. Go to the play store and download TWRP manager. From there you can select your specific phone and check out whether your version of TWRP needs an update.

I try that twrp app and can't find my phone on it ?

---------- Post added at 05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 AM ----------

Anyone here use twrp theme manger?

jun19inf

Sep 25, 2007
Kent, WA
I try that twrp app and can't find my phone on it ?

---------- Post added at 05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 AM ----------

Anyone here use twrp theme manger?

You're right, it's not listing the V10. I use it on my G5 and assumed that they had the V10 in the list of phones, my apologies. However, you do have some other options available (You must have root access on your phone):
  • Download the ROM Installer app and do the following:
    - Click on 3 dots stacked together (upper right corner of the screen)
    - Click on Flash Image
    - In the Select Partition section, select recovery
    - In the Select IMG to flash section, click on the 3 dots button and select your TWRP image file
    - Click on the FLASH button (bottom right corner of the screen)
    ....................................................................................OR..........................................................................................................
  • Download the Flashify app and do the following:
    - Click on Recovery image
    - Click on Choose a file
    - Click on Yup
    ....................................................................................OR..........................................................................................................
  • Download the Official TWRP app and do the following:
    - Click on TWRP Flash
    - Leave the Select Device empty (LG V10 is not listed)
    - Click on Select a file to flash
    - Click on Flash to Recovery
  • Manual flash from within TWRP
    - Reboot your phone and enter TWRP (I assume you know how to do this)
    - Click on Install
    - Select your TWRP image file
    - Click on Install Image

Disclaimer:
  1. What you do with the information I just posted above IS NOT my responsibility
  2. I am NOT responsible for anything that happens to your phone should you attempt the above
  3. If you flash the wrong TWRP file or wrong file in general, you can potentially BRICK your phone!!!
  4. Not all phones are created equal. What works for one person's V10 might not work for your V10. Some phones have hardware issues
    that may not arise until you attempt to circumvent security aka (root, install TWRP, etc.)
  5. Finally, pay attention to every detail! I really want you to succeed so be careful. It's always fun to try something new just make sure you do it right.
Good luck!

Last edited:

xXCoolGuYXx

Apr 16, 2014
You're right, it's not listing the V10. I use it on my G5 and assumed that they had the V10 in the list of phones, my apologies. However, you do have some other options available (You must have root access on your phone):
Download the ROM Installer app and do the following:
- Click on Flash Image
- In the Select IMG to flash section, click on the 3 dots button and select your TWRP image file
Download the Flashify app and do the following:
- Click on Choose a file
- Click on Yup
Download the Official TWRP app and do the following:
- Click on TWRP Flash
Manual flash from within TWRP
- Click on Install
- Click on Install Image

Disclaimer:
What you do with the information I just posted above IS NOT my responsibility
If you flash the wrong TWRP file or wrong file in general, you can potentially BRICK your phone!!!
Finally, pay attention to every detail! I really want you to succeed so be careful. It's always fun to try something new just make sure you do it right.

Good luck!

Yeah thanks bro I know all those ways I was just seeing if it's okay to update the twrp to 3.2.0 because the one you have for the 20j root is the 2.7 one I think .

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Download the ROM Installer app and do the following:
- Click on Flash Image
Download the Flashify app and do the following:
- Click on Choose a file
- Click on Yup
Download the Official TWRP app and do the following:
- Click on TWRP Flash
Manual flash from within TWRP
- Click on Install
- Click on Install Image

Disclaimer:
What you do with the information I just posted above IS NOT my responsibility
I am NOT responsible for anything that happens to your phone should you attempt the above
If you flash the wrong TWRP file or wrong file in general, you can potentially BRICK your phone!!!
Not all phones are created equal. What works for one person's V10 might not work for your V10. Some phones have hardware issues
that may not arise until you attempt to circumvent security aka (root, install TWRP, etc.)
Finally, pay attention to every detail! I really want you to succeed so be careful. It's always fun to try something new just make sure you do it right.

Good luck!

My mistake bro I double checked myself and it's not the 2.7 one it's the 3.2.0

Волк

Jan 7, 2012
San Diego
Thank you very much! Two things, how do I "search through the files" and also can you give me a brief explanation of Dirty Cow exploit? Like does it work if already on Marshmallow and can I get TWRP with it?

Again I thank you so much, and sorry if I sound uninformed, that's why I'm here asking questions. Thank you mate!
I would, and did, read through the guides before actually doing them so that I knew what I was doing and what the result would be and I still was meticulous when I did dirty cow.
A long-standing thing on XDA is reading. Our op was kind enough to put together through guides, which include links and pictures, the least we can do it read them first and if we still have questions then ask.

shankar10

Apr 28, 2011
USA
Short answer: No.

However, you can flash back to the "J" version which has TWRP using these guides and flash Eliminater74's custom ROM (look at his post in the development area) which uses the new "L" update. Flashing back to the "J" update from the "L" update does not brick your phone so you can do it as much as you want. I am in the process of writing a detailed guide using both the dirty cow exploit and / or a new modified .TOT file to get root on the new update.

thanks I'll try that.

xXCoolGuYXx

Apr 16, 2014
Yes, your phone should be on Media device (MTP) mode anytime you are doing anything other than charging when connected to your PC.
Okay and after you put in the adb Push twrp ? How long should it take ? An when I try to copy and past it all I get this Android debugging message.

jun19inf

Sep 25, 2007
Kent, WA
Okay and after you put in the adb Push twrp ? How long should it take ? An when I try to copy and past it all I get this Android debugging message.

Are you following the guide I posted on the top of this thread? I included pictures so that you know what each step looks like. The debugging info is normal depending on which step you are at. It's going to take you a few minutes to get through the process probably like 5 minutes tops.

xXCoolGuYXx

Apr 16, 2014
Are you following the guide I posted on the top of this thread? I included pictures so that you know what each step looks like. The debugging info is normal depending on which step you are at. It's going to take you a few minutes to get through the process probably like 5 minutes tops.
I fingered it out thanks and I'm rooted in 20L wish I could force 7.0 to my phone so I could already be on it .

ratedadorable

Dec 30, 2014
Karachi
Hey every 1 need help i got stuck on D_cow in step 15 when i type
./dirtycow /system/bin/app_process64 recowvery-app_process64
it says ( could not open system/bin/app_process64 ) please help

elimoviebuff

Jan 29, 2015
Not so hteat

Someone must say that these type of threads are confusing to a beginner.Please start separating the diffrent root/unroot methods so that it is easy for a beginner to comprehend not just a developer!!

elheuste

May 9, 2016
sacramento
stuck in dirty cow step #15, multiple errors in adb commands

Tmobile LG v10 running MM6.0 (h90120L)and the I am at step #15 of the "dirty cow exploit" guide by jun19inf. I have completed all of Step #1 and #2 guides. At step 15 I copied and pasted the 5 adb push commands into the command window and i got a bunch of error messages and a loooong list of different commands and their meanings. the errors I see are here:
'push' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
'-' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
.....\D_Cow>applypatch /data/local/tmp 'applypatch' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I don't know how to proceed! I've followed the instructions to a T. TOTALLY STUCK.. don't know if I should attempt to go back to stock or try something elese(what?). Below is a copy of my command window with everything I'm seeing. Anyone online and can help? crossing fingers..

Attachments

• adberrors.txt
    91.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Tmobile LG v10 running MM6.0 (h90120L)and the I am at step #15 of the "dirty cow exploit" guide by jun19inf. I have completed all of Step #1 and #2 guides. At step 15 I copied and pasted the 5 adb push commands into the command window and i got a bunch of error messages and a loooong list of different commands and their meanings. the errors I see are here:
'push' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
'-' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
.....\D_Cow>applypatch /data/local/tmp 'applypatch' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

I don't know how to proceed! I've followed the instructions to a T. TOTALLY STUCK.. don't know if I should attempt to go back to stock or try something elese(what?). Below is a copy of my command window with everything I'm seeing. Anyone online and can help? crossing fingers..

I just read through a few commands and you need to copy/paste from the guide to eliminate errors

Pretty much I saw a lot of things like
Push recovery.. etc
Instead of
adb push ....Etc

Think of this in the sense of how the commands are read

adb push recovery recovery.img

This starts by calling on adb binary
Then it uses push command
Then notes Partition on device to flash to
(Add location of file on PC here if needed)
Then file to be pushed

So each command prompt would need all these steps, just start over from begining and you should be good

Last edited:

elheuste

May 9, 2016
sacramento
Hey, thanks for the reply. Actually, I did copy and paste.. but I had the impression that I should copy all five lines and paste them all in at once.. ..."copy and paste the following commands into the cmd window.... and then press enter'' I hate to be a simpleton but to me that means ''copy them ALL and paste them ALL then hit enter''.. I take it that's not the intention? (feeling very smart right about now.... (sarcasm))
I really appreciate your help, Demkantor.!

YrrchSebor

Aug 15, 2013
Los Angeles

I was thinking you may just need to place the files in the right place, so they are found when you enter the commands. So if your files are in a downloads folder, then you'd need to run the commands from that folder. Or, move the files you downloaded into the directory where you are running the commands. Hope that makes sense, it's a lotta words but simple really..

jun19inf

Sep 25, 2007
Kent, WA
Hey, thanks for the reply. Actually, I did copy and paste.. but I had the impression that I should copy all five lines and paste them all in at once.. ..."copy and paste the following commands into the cmd window.... and then press enter'' I hate to be a simpleton but to me that means ''copy them ALL and paste them ALL then hit enter''.. I take it that's not the intention? (feeling very smart right about now.... (sarcasm))
I really appreciate your help, Demkantor.!

Hello elheuste,

No, that is the intention. You copy the commands and then press enter. What is the exact error you are receiving? Have you tried to type the commands one by one?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

Here are some step by step guides for those of you who need detailed instructions for rooting and un-rooting the T-mobile LG V10.
    The guides are short and to the point and are meant to be followed one after the other (STEP#1 --> STEP#2 --> STEP#3).
    For the step#3 guide, you must choose one out of the three available:
    UnRoot, stock, or custom MM 6.0

Guides:
    Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_1
    Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_2

Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Stock_UnRoot_MM_6_0_STEP_3 <------ If you want to just have stock MM 6.0 only (no root, use this if you want to return the phone or sell it)
    Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Root_Stock_MM_6_0_STEP_3 <------ If you want to just have stock MM 6.0 with root only
    Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Root_Custom_MM_6_0_STEP_3 <------ If you want to have a custom MM 6.0 ROM with root
    Tmobile-LGV10_Dirty_Cow_Root_MM_6_0 <------ If you want to gain root access on your stock MM 6.0 rom using the "dirty cow" exploit

The guides will walk you through:
    • Downloading and Installing the necessary drivers / tools
    • Unlocking your bootloader
    • Flashing the stock .kdz file
    • Flashing the rooted .TOT file
    • Using TWRP to gain root status

I assume the following:
    • Your T-mobile LG V10 phone is already on MM 6.0 not lollipop
    • If you are on lollipop YOU MUST follow the guides below in the exact order listed:
      Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_1
      Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_2
      Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Root_Stock_MM_6_0_STEP_3
      (If you don't, YOU WILL brick your phone! Also, keep in mind that once you upgrade to MM 6.0 YOU WILL NOT be able to downgrade!!)
    • You are using a Microsoft Windows operating system (Windows 7 or above)
    • You understand that all data on your phone will be deleted
    • You understand that your warranty is now gone
    • You understand that YOU MUST follow the guides one after the other (1 -> 2 -> 3). If you deviate from this YOU WILL NOT be successful in rooting your phone
    • You understand that YOU MUST follow the steps in the guides one after the other (1 -> 2 -> 3). If you deviate from this YOU WILL NOT be successful in rooting your phone
    • Your phone's USB PC Connection (mode your phone is in when connected to your PC) is on Media device (MTP) mode. ADB and Fastboot commands to the device WILL NOT work if device is not on this mode

***Un-root***
    • If you want to "un-root" your device (go back to default stock) use the Tmobile-LGV10_flash_Stock_UnRoot_MM_6_0_STEP_3 guide.
      (Keep in mind that this WILL DELETE all data on the phone)

***Fastboot device not detected issue***

***Dirty Cow Exploit for Root***
    • I have added a new guide Tmobile-LGV10_Dirty_Cow_Root_MM_6_0 for those of you who would like to use the "Dirty Cow" exploit to gain root access
    • Link to download the guide (in case the guide attached to this thread is not showing): Click --> Tmobile-LGV10_Dirty_Cow_Root_MM_6_0
    • Using this exploit will allow you to install TWRP on your phone which allows you to install SuperSU.
    • Yes, this method to gain root works on the new software update H90120L as well as the older ones
    • You will have to first complete all of the steps in the guides listed below before attempting to use the Dirty Cow exploit.
      - Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_1
      - Tmobile-LGV10_pre_flash_MM_6_0_requirements_STEP_2
    • Keep in mind that this exploit will eventually be patched
    • I am not responsible for what you do to your phone

***Disclaimer***
    • I take no responsibility in what you do to your phone
    • The step-by-step guides in this thread were made with the assumption that you will strictly follow them one after the other.
      (If you don't, YOU WILL brick your phone!)
    • READ! READ! READ! Search this thread, read the guides one by one step by step, and pay attention to detail! Most problems have solutions, you just have to do a little homework.
    • If you run into an problem, verify that you have correctly completed all the steps for each guide before posting to this thread. Most problems come from guides / steps that were skipped.
    • Not all phones are created equal. What works for one person's phone might not work for your phone. Some phones have hardware issues
    • Use a laptop that is fully charged and plugged in to an outlet instead of a regular PC (unless it has a UPS attached to it) just in case you lose power during the flashing process.
      (If you use a regular PC without a UPS attached to it and you lose power during the flashing process, YOU WILL brick your phone!)

I would like to thank the following people:

Tungkick
    • For his support
    • Root for both (H90120e and H90120j) <-- You are the man sir!!
    • Instructions on flashing and recovering from boot-loop
    Anyone else I forgot to mention and or involved in allowing the rest of us to get root on our beloved LG V10 phones again. The android community is awesome!!!
    Please leave a thank you if you find any of this helpful

:D:D:D
    Thanks, but i can't seem to find one for our model

Sent from my LG-H901 using XDA-Developers mobile app

This is for the V10 only:
    1. Download the xposed framework xposed-v84-sdk23-arm64.zip from the following link:
      http://dl-xda.xposed.info/framework/sdk23/arm64/xposed-v84-sdk23-arm64.zip
    2. Download the xposed installer (XposedInstaller_3.0-alpha4.apk) from the following link:
      http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3383776&d=1435601440
    3. Copy both files to the SD-CARD of your phone
    4. Restart your phone into TWRP
    5. Press INSTALL
    6. Flash the xposed-v84-sdk23-arm64.zip
    7. Restart your phone and let it start normally
    8. Go to Settings
    9. Go to the General tab
    10. Scroll down to Fingerprints & security
    11. Scroll down to the Phone Administration Category
    12. Make sure there is a check mark on the Unknown Sources option
    13. Open a file manager
    14. Go to the location of the xposed apk
    15. Install the xposed Installer 3.0 Alpha 4 apk
    16. Settings -> General Tag -> Fingerprints & security, remove the check mark next to Unknown Sources option
    17. Start the xposed app (you will have to download some plugins)

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)
    Confirmed Root Testers:
    jun19inf
    guytano86
    demkantor
    jamiesco12
    nymica

Thanks for the great write up!

Also.... first!! :p
    Thank you very much! Two things, how do I "search through the files" and also can you give me a brief explanation of Dirty Cow exploit? Like does it work if already on Marshmallow and can I get TWRP with it?

Again I thank you so much, and sorry if I sound uninformed, that's why I'm here asking questions. Thank you mate!

Hello felekks,
    Your question about "searching through the files" is better suited in the Android development section due to the fact that you are basically asking how to compare the stock archive of system files untouched (.kdz) versus a modified archive (.tot) file for that phone. I would simply just ask one of the developers in that section and take it from there. Keep in mind that "searching through the files" is not and will not be as easy as it sounds. If you are not a programmer or are somewhat new to how to build or modify an Android ROM then all of this will be rather confusing and difficult not to mention dangerous as messing with any system file can render your phone useless (bricked).

For your question about the dirty cow exploit:
    A race condition was found in the way the Linux kernel's memory subsystem handled the copy-on-write (COW) breakage of private read-only memory mappings. An unprivileged local user could use this flaw to gain write access to otherwise read-only memory mappings and thus increase their privileges on the system. Right now the exploit works on Android 6.0+ (Marshmallow) and 7.0 (Nougat). The moment you achieve success with the exploit, you can push the TWRP program file to the phone. If you follow the guide in this thread you will see what I mean. Keep in mind since the exploit is classified as a "bug" it will most definitely get patched.

I understand your concern when it comes to flashing modified files to your phone not knowing if they contain malicious programs but keep in mind that doing a little homework (which you are doing now by searching and asking questions) can save you from a huge mess. The XDA community is vast and awesome with many incredibly gifted members. Files that come through here are relatively safe as long as you know what you are doing when using them. You'll notice that there are developers that have been here for a long time who push out these files on a regular basis. The community has tremendous trust in them. Remember one thing, bad files are flagged and banned pretty quickly but this is no substitute for your own due diligence. If something seems off to you them let everyone know!

By the way, don't apologize for asking questions. That is what the XDA forums are for. As a community, we all help each other. :):D
    If phone have boot error then still reboot can not put twrp pls flash file this:
    Fix phone boot veri......fail
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8mSVItI_cqRMXZ6cjBpVFdGVTA/view?usp=sharing
    File tot only add bootloader can unlock in fastboot .
    Flash kdz 6.0> flash file tot> go to develop option > enabable oem unlock and usb debugging> adb reboot bootloader> fastboot oem unlock> phone unlock now>> flash next file tot have add twrp again> phone can put twrp ok.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone