Step-by-step How-To root Froyo for newbs

daesdaemar

Jan 23, 2008
California
OK, so I got my stock Dell streak unlocked Froyo last week and I wanted to unlock it. I read the various threads and it was a bit unclear what worked and what didn't. So here is how I did it for you peeps with new Streaks:

Note: this is for Windows only... (has been tested and works on basebands 315 and 318)

1) download and install the Windows drivers from here:
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Handheld/R288920.exe

2) download SuperOneClick 1.5.5 from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=437039&d=1289271263

3) extract SuperOneClick on your hard drive

4) put your Streak in USB debugging mode: Settings>Applications>Development>turn on USB Debugging

5) plug your Streak into the computer - do not mount the SD card

6) right click on SuperOneClick.exe and run as administrator

7) click "Root" and watch the progress and follow instructions.

8) if all went well, you can then find the SuperUser app on your Streak.

If this fails, there are a couple of things that can be done that will likely lead to success. One is to try the above procedure with the SD card taken out of the phone. The other option is to turn the phone off and start the root process as above. When the process gets to "Waiting on Device" then turn the phone on.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

daesdaemar

Jan 23, 2008
California
Would z4root be a lot easier and less time-consuming way than above post? I used z4root 1.2, and it works like a charm!
I never tried z4root because most of the posts I read said it didn't work for Froyo 2.2...

Glad there's another way to do it :)

Anyway, my point was to explain a step-by-step way for newbs like me.

me4tux

May 9, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Hello daesdaemar,

Many thanks for your post. It's a good step by step reference. I am expecting my Dell factory shipped Froyo Red Streak to show up any time soon...

DO you have a list of tips and tricks / tweaks to configure, or install some basic but key apps to get your Dell Streak to optimal run state?

A list like this: Once you receive a factory shipped Froyo Streak, do this:

1. Root it (see daesdarmar's method)
2. Set up keyboard for Swype since it's the best option (or download and replace Swype with latest beta version optimized for Streak 5" screen)
3. Install App X and tweak these to speed up processor frequency
4. Install "Bloat Manager" to disable any un-necessary Dell apps etc
7. etc

I was searching around for a nice list of "To-dos" from anyone who recently received a factory installed Froyo Streak but I can't find a good list around and handy....

Let me know if you can help build one or share one ...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

daesdaemar

Jan 23, 2008
California
Hello daesdaemar,

Many thanks for your post. It's a good step by step reference. I am expecting my Dell factory shipped Froyo Red Streak to show up any time soon...

DO you have a list of tips and tricks / tweaks to configure, or install some basic but key apps to get your Dell Streak to optimal run state?

A list like this: Once you receive a factory shipped Froyo Streak, do this:

1. Root it (see daesdarmar's method)
2. Set up keyboard for Swype since it's the best option (or download and replace Swype with latest beta version optimized for Streak 5" screen)
3. Install App X and tweak these to speed up processor frequency
4. Install "Bloat Manager" to disable any un-necessary Dell apps etc
7. etc

I was searching around for a nice list of "To-dos" from anyone who recently received a factory installed Froyo Streak but I can't find a good list around and handy....

Let me know if you can help build one or share one ...

Thanks in advance.
Thanks...

I am a new Streaker, so I don't know that I'm the one to compile a list of essentials, but I did the following in the first day or so just to make it seem a bit better/more personal:

1) rooted
2) Titanium Back Up for freeze/uninstall bloatware
3) AstroFile and File Expert to serve as file managers and connect to my home network
4) QQPlayer to watch videos
5) JustPictures! for my photos
6) Multi Picture Live for wallpaper manipulations
7) Kindle and Aldiko readers
8) Dropbox
9) Extended Controls - nice widget

Trying to figure out if there is a better browser...

Just playing with it and having a good time :)

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
. . . .

. . . ..
I recently got a carrier unlocked Streak with Android 2.2 from Dell. I received it with 2.2 on it. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Root it - see steps in OP
2. Install Titanium backup (paid) and freeze the apps I don't/won't use.
3. Install Root Explorer
4. Changed this line debug.sf.hw=0 to this debug.sf.hw=1 in build.prop. See this
5. I use SlideIt for my keyboard most of the time. I like it better than Swype and I had already paid for it with my old phone. I have been trying Thumb Keyboard for landcape and also have Better Keyboard..
6. I use LauncherPro (donation version) for my home app with just 3 screens.

What's bloat and what's useful is different depending on your needs.

spdivr

Oct 11, 2007
Not working

Hello,
I have a Dell Streak with Android 2.2, build 12821, Baseband version 318.

Nothing I have tried has worked to root this ^%$#@! thing! I have tried several versions of superoneclick and other options, but nothing is getting it done.

Has anyone successfully rooted this build version?

Pleeeeeaaasssse help!?!

marvin02

Mar 29, 2010
Indiana
Woohoo! Marvin02 clued me into this oddball solution:

Remove the SD card and run 1.5.5. It works!
That's what worked for me on baseband 318, using a WinXP pro computer. May also work just by unmounting the SD Card in Menu->Settings->SD card & phone storage.

Even though I was not turning on USB storage when I connected the USB cable the computer was seeing the SD Card as a removable drive in Windows Explorer.

Reactions: spdivr