[STICKY] ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!! - Simple question, simple answer - FAQ thread

Search This thread

Thirumalai.K

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know if there is a way to play a video while listening to music in the background. I want to listen to music with a background music player and watching a video with the mx player at the same time. Every time I try that the music just stops. I have a chinese smartphone and I remember doing exactly what I explained some months ago, so I am wondering if it's still possible or if the developers could implement such a feature. Maybe you can turn down the volume from the video and just hear the music.
I would appreciate your help.
Goto MX Player Settings > Player & Disable Play Alone. That's all

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Thirumalai.K

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
When will we get an update which adds HW+ support for Android N users?

As of now there is no ETA..!:(
Developer is currently working on alternate HW+. It will automatically fix HW+ compatibility. Some other features also planned.

As far as I know, bleu8888 is trying hard to finish everything at least before N moves to stable channel.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using XDA Labs

volpo222

Mar 14, 2013
MXPlayer and ES File Explorer/Manager

HI,

I have been using this combination to stream video/audio to my Android (Nexus 9 v6.x) device for quite a while. In its various update cycles ES File Explorer has slowly been breaking its usefulness.

Since purchasing the 'pro' version I no longer see MX Player in the associate dropdown (this now happens in the free version since I installed the pro version). Is there any way to specify MX Player?

If not what would be a good file manager solution with network abilities (my files are on local shares)?

Or, will basic network file management be included in newer builds?

Thanks,

Volpo

Last edited:

Thirumalai.K

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
HI,

I have been using this combination to stream video/audio to my Android (Nexus 9 v6.x) device for quite a while. In its various update cycles ES File Explorer has slowly been breaking its usefulness.

Since purchasing the 'pro' version I no longer see MX Player in the associate dropdown (this now happens in the free version since I installed the pro version). Is there any way to specify MX Player?

If not what would be a good file manager solution with network abilities (my files are on local shares)?

Or, will basic network file management be included in newer builds?

Thanks,

Volpo

Which android version..?
6.0 or 6.0.1....?
Could you share a screenshot of openwith window...?

volpo222

Mar 14, 2013
Which android version..?
6.0 or 6.0.1....?
Could you share a screenshot of openwith window...?

Hello,

I am using Android v6.01.

Attached is a screengrab of two states:

1. After a new install and I click on an avi,mp4, or any video file this is what I am offered.
2. When I tried 'Open As' I have the same choices.
Eexcept when I try to open something the internal player 'ES Media Player' knows it cannot play that choice is not on the list (eg. avi, flv, etc.).

This all used to work perfectly. ES File Explorer used to pipe the files to MX Player without question now it doesn't even show up in the selection list of either the free or pay version on the Nexus 9.

I have 3 Android devices Nexus 9 v6.01, LG G3 v6.0, and a Remix mini based I believe on v5.x.

The latter two still can use ES File Manager/MX Player combo. I am not attempting to upgrade until I can sort this out.

Thanks,

V

New Information: After you asked for version information I started thinking, got brave and installed on my other devices with no problem. This seems to be either a Nexus 9 thing or Android v6.01.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160623-173525.png
    Screenshot_20160623-173525.png
    45 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
I love MX player,
I need VR mode in MX player.
Pls add it if possible???
Well, as MX Player is meant for 2D video, I'm not sure what a "VR mode" would do... you should look into Google Cardboard.

============
Hello,

I am using Android v6.01.

Attached is a screengrab of two states:

1. After a new install and I click on an avi,mp4, or any video file this is what I am offered.
2. When I tried 'Open As' I have the same choices.
Eexcept when I try to open something the internal player 'ES Media Player' knows it cannot play that choice is not on the list (eg. avi, flv, etc.).

This all used to work perfectly. ES File Explorer used to pipe the files to MX Player without question now it doesn't even show up in the selection list of either the free or pay version on the Nexus 9.

I have 3 Android devices Nexus 9 v6.01, LG G3 v6.0, and a Remix mini based I believe on v5.x.

The latter two still can use ES File Manager/MX Player combo. I am not attempting to upgrade until I can sort this out.

Thanks,

V
Just to confirm have you tried using a file explorer other than ES to see if the issue is unique to ES?

Last edited:

Thirumalai.K

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
@volpo222 @CDB-Man @USBhost

It's already reported in another thread.

This issue is a consequence of android bug that exists on 6.0. This is reproducible only when using native activity chooser for any streaming video (or a remote file). Once you set any app as default, other apps (including Stock one, Google Photos, MX, VLC, BSPlayer) will vanish from activity chooser (except some activities like ES media Player) after clearing the defaults. It was fixed on many nexus devices by Google in 6.0.1. I am not sure whether Nexus 9 is also patched or not.

Temporary solutions:
1. Just install any new video player (or intent intercept) that you have never installed. Then open a remote video like smb or it may be any other streaming locations. Now you can see all misssing items.

2. Alternatively you must find the application which was set as default earlier. It's one of the application currently listed. If are unsure, uninstall one by one & check.

You can use any one solution from above. Once you got the list back, you can uninstall any new app you have installed or install the application which was set as default earlier.

Anyway Good News is that, I have already found the workaround & conveyed to the developer as well. It's internally fixed. Next version will bring the workaround for this Android Bug & some more tweakings also done to improve file association.

volpo222

Mar 14, 2013
Thank you for this answer Ktsamy.
I got frustrated and uninstalled ES File manager and MX Player along with some other stuff. Re-installing ES/MX combo and clearing both caches again has done it! During this process I must have inadvertantly used your second suggestion.

Thanks to all who commented.

Volpo

Last edited:

Thirumalai.K

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
Thank you for this answer Ktsamy.
I got frustrated and uninstalled ES File manager and MX Player along with some other stuff. Re-installing ES/MX combo and clearing both caches again has done it! During this process I must have inadvertantly used your second suggestion.

Thanks to all who commented.

Volpo

Forgot to mention that never ever select always for any remote contents atleast till you are sure that it's fixed on your system. Else once again you may run into this issue. :)

Professor_Arthur

Jun 26, 2016
Brooklyn
General Help

Hello,
My name is Roger. I'm not a "Tech-Savvy" individual in any way, so I'm sure my question might seem silly.
I was wondering if it would be possible to get a complete user's manual or guide for the mx player?
My specific question: Is it at all possible to set (permanently) mx player as the default player for EVERYTHING? Locally stored videos, streamed videos that I purchase from streaming sites, regular Internet videos embed on a site, etc.. .. I apologize in advance if my question is incoherent. As I indicated early, I'm not at all tech-savvy.

Last edited:

Wartickler

Nov 4, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
I've tried, I swear to the gods I've tried...

I can't figure out how the heck my son keeps grabbing the phone while it's playing a video and he changes the playback speed. It keeps happening and I keep checking the screen to figure out whether he's got a sub-menu open and he doesn't. This leads me to believe that he is executing some manner of touchscreen swipe. But I can't find ANYWHERE that tells me what that swipe combo is!! :confused:

Thirumalai.K

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
I can't figure out how the heck my son keeps grabbing the phone while it's playing a video and he changes the playback speed. It keeps happening and I keep checking the screen to figure out whether he's got a sub-menu open and he doesn't. This leads me to believe that he is executing some manner of touchscreen swipe. But I can't find ANYWHERE that tells me what that swipe combo is!! :confused:
Use Two fingers & swipe up and down to change the speed. It can be turned off from by disabling "Playback Speed" under MX Player's settings > Player > Controls > Gestures

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

Hello,
My name is Roger. I'm not a "Tech-Savvy" individual in any way, so I'm sure my question might seem silly.
I was wondering if it would be possible to get a complete user's manual or guide for the mx player?
My specific question: Is it at all possible to set (permanently) mx player as the default player for EVERYTHING? Locally stored videos, streamed videos that I purchase from streaming sites, regular Internet videos embed on a site, etc.. .. I apologize in advance if my question is incoherent. As I indicated early, I'm not at all tech-savvy.

There is no manual kind of thing.

Android doesn't allow file associations like other desktop operating system. When you open a file select mx player from list & tap on always. MX Player will be default for that particular format. If you open a file with different extension you have to do the same again.

It's an Android limitation & applicable to all apps.

Reactions: Professor_Arthur

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    16169217901870.jpg

Any option to normalize sound in video for the same volume? Many videos are too quite but on the adblocks are loud. Need to normalize that peaks.
    Simple question, simple answer - FAQ thread

Exactly as it sounds. Ask a simple question, and get a simple answer. This thread is intended for questions probably not long enough to warrant their own thread, and/or you are not sure if a thread/answer already exists.

Please be sure to read the Welcome Thread, the FAQ page, and search the existing forums first, prior to asking your question.
    I have just installed latest free version from Play Market.
    So many ads! In file list between file names, over video on pause. And at the bottom of screen, as before. Whats going on?
    @volpo222 @CDB-Man @USBhost

It's already reported in another thread.

This issue is a consequence of android bug that exists on 6.0. This is reproducible only when using native activity chooser for any streaming video (or a remote file). Once you set any app as default, other apps (including Stock one, Google Photos, MX, VLC, BSPlayer) will vanish from activity chooser (except some activities like ES media Player) after clearing the defaults. It was fixed on many nexus devices by Google in 6.0.1. I am not sure whether Nexus 9 is also patched or not.

Temporary solutions:
    1. Just install any new video player (or intent intercept) that you have never installed. Then open a remote video like smb or it may be any other streaming locations. Now you can see all misssing items.

2. Alternatively you must find the application which was set as default earlier. It's one of the application currently listed. If are unsure, uninstall one by one & check.

You can use any one solution from above. Once you got the list back, you can uninstall any new app you have installed or install the application which was set as default earlier.

Anyway Good News is that, I have already found the workaround & conveyed to the developer as well. It's internally fixed. Next version will bring the workaround for this Android Bug & some more tweakings also done to improve file association.

Hi Guys,
    In Note 4's stock video player when playing a movie and then screen mirrored to a smart tv the player/screen would turn black to save on battery. Is there a way to do that on MX Player?
    Thanks!
    The stock player probably casts video. MX has no casting feature at the moment, see the pinned topic: http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/mx-player/sticky-mx-player-chromecast-t2725253
    Hello,

Been using a Mediatek MT6592 device but switched to the Galaxy Note5. I missed the ClearMotion feature of the Mediatek processor, I used it with the HW decoder in MX Player. I have the following questions:

•For best picture quality, what should I choose? RGB 16-bit, RGB 32-bit, or YUV?
    •Is there an option to enable motion interpolation with MX Player? Or are there plans to include this feature? The MT6592 struggles with motion interpolation, but the Exynos 7420 can probably handle it
    •For best battery life, should I choose HW+ over HW?

Thanks.
    YUV if your device can handle it. I don't think the ffmpeg package includes motion interpolation (MX uses ffmpeg as a base). HW+ and HW should both use approximately the same amount of power.

What's the difference between sw, hw, hw+ decoder. I'm on a nexus 4 usually playing 720p videos. Is there one that would be better? Also when I play 1080p, sw has better quality that hw. Is there a reason for that?
    HW+ > HW > SW in that order, use HW+ where available. HW and HW+ use less power.
    joedonmurpy50 said:
    Hello my friends I have used mx player on all my phones why doesn't it play all formats of videos

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

You're going to have to provide more details than that.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone