• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.

[STICKY] MX Player 10-bit Video and HEVC Discussion

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
i have 1.2ghz quad core processor, before 1080p hi10p used to have a lot of audio cuts and slow framerate, now i downloaded the latest build by mxplayer and i dont know why but the audio cuts are gone and its lot smoother than before. i can watch the clannad and clannad after life opening and ending by coalgirls with noticebly less lag.

using pvrmonitor i saw that before it didnt utilize the cores much but now its fully utilized

i think i see improvements in only hi10p videos
You can specify core usage in the settings. You could also try enabling speedup tricks (while playing video, menu -> play -> use speedup tricks).

As to why the audio improved, it might just be because whatever changed freed up some CPU time from video processing, so more power for audio.

ravenova

Jul 29, 2013
You can specify core usage in the settings. You could also try enabling speedup tricks (while playing video, menu -> play -> use speedup tricks).

As to why the audio improved, it might just be because whatever changed freed up some CPU time from video processing, so more power for audio.
sorry for not being specific but audio stuttered because the video couldnt keep with audio. so it had to cut the audio for some sec. now i notice less lag and 1080p hi10 is nearly playable for me.

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
sorry for not being specific but audio stuttered because the video couldnt keep with audio. so it had to cut the audio for some sec. now i notice less lag and 1080p hi10 is nearly playable for me.
> and 1080p hi10 is nearly playable for me

That's quite surprising considering your device is only 1.2 Ghz! What's the device and what ROM?

ravenova

Jul 29, 2013
> and 1080p hi10 is nearly playable for me

That's quite surprising considering your device is only 1.2 Ghz! What's the device and what ROM?
its a mediatek mt6589 1.2ghz quad core and its in stock rom.

i regularly test updates of all video player and i also see usage, there is no improvement in 720p 10bit as it fully utilizes the cores.....

before it didnt use the cores well, most of the were below 50% when playing 1080p hi10p but now i saw an improvement and i was suprised myself to see it ultilizing all cores(80% to 100%) mostly.

Crim Soukyuu

Jun 10, 2014
I just tested the current test build, and it seems 720p 10-bit are fluent on nearly all scenes with my Snapdragon 400 SoC (MS8926). The only exception are complex scenes (small particles flying). Tested it on a HQ BD rip, so lower bitrate clips should be even more fluent.

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
its a mediatek mt6589 1.2ghz quad core and its in stock rom.

i regularly test updates of all video player and i also see usage, there is no improvement in 720p 10bit as it fully utilizes the cores.....

before it didnt use the cores well, most of the were below 50% when playing 1080p hi10p but now i saw an improvement and i was suprised myself to see it ultilizing all cores(80% to 100%) mostly.
That's interesting. What sort of framerates are you geting on 720p and 1080p 10bit?

There's been a lot of good news coming from the MediaTek devices, especially considering their price points.

dejong12

Dec 22, 2008
Did you get a chance to try any other videos?
I'm sorry for replying so late, I haven't had a chance yet. I almost don't watch 1080p files, especially not on my device.
But for the sake of testing 1080p Hi10P, I am currently downloading the 1080p file from koi-sama.net/files/hi10.
I'll let you know how that works out. Maybe you could provide me with some test samples?

EDIT: OK, just tested it. The scene zooming out in the beginning is stuttering as expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDB-Man

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
I'm sorry for replying so late, I haven't had a chance yet. I almost don't watch 1080p files, especially not on my device.
But for the sake of testing 1080p Hi10P, I am currently downloading the 1080p file from koi-sama.net/files/hi10.
I'll let you know how that works out. Maybe you could provide me with some test samples?

EDIT: OK, just tested it. The scene zooming out in the beginning is stuttering as expected.
Thanks for checking that out! As I expected, 1080p Hi10p is still a bit too much for mobile devices.

But yeah, the massive file sizes keep me from getting everything 1080p. On a 1080p phone such as the S5 or Nexus 5, I also agree that generally you likely won't notice a difference between 720p and 1080p, unless the encode was so bad that it comes out really poor when MX scales it up to the phone's 1080p.

dejong12

Dec 22, 2008
Thanks for checking that out! As I expected, 1080p Hi10p is still a bit too much for mobile devices.

But yeah, the massive file sizes keep me from getting everything 1080p. On a 1080p phone such as the S5 or Nexus 5, I also agree that generally you likely won't notice a difference between 720p and 1080p, unless the encode was so bad that it comes out really poor when MX scales it up to the phone's 1080p.
Yep, 1080p for now isn't worth it. 720p looks just as crisp most of the time, is much smaller and will play flawlessly.

fshahid

Mar 12, 2011
HW+ and SSA/ASS subtitle rendering

First of all thanks for the great player which is so far the best long running player on Android and yet no other player comes as close as this in regards to compatibility, reliability and functionality. I think it has been more than 2 years using MX Player on X10 Mini Pro, HTC One X, S4 i9505 and now Note 3 N9005

I would like to know about this HW+ incompatibilty issues on Snapdragon hardware. I had been using MX Player on HTC One X (that has Tegra 3 hardware) for a year and it mostly used to decode all my matroska video files on HW+ it used to play all 720p Hi10p files smooth. But since my switch to S4 i9505 I feel like I have downgraded on hardware lol it just don't play any file on HW+ (well all the mkv files I tried so far), it only plays on SW and well... it is not as smooth. And now I'm on Note 3 N9005 and the issue is same. One of my friend told me that the Snapdragon hardware doesn't support HW+... is that true?

Also, just to let you know that although surely MX Player is the only player on android that can render most SSA/ASS perfectly, it seems at some places to be lagging behind and I noticed that the subtitles and signs tend to "fade out" although originally they aren't programmed to be...

EDIT: I can confirm that Hi10p 720p matroska video file (with embedded subtitles) on my Note3 N9005 is not playing smooth (and only plays in S/W mode) when I played the same file on pc for comparison, it seems to be dropping/skipping frames to keep in sync... I miss my HTC One X now...

Other than that I have no complaints at all... MX Player is the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: Laker775

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
First of all thanks for the great player which is so far the best long running player on Android and yet no other player comes as close as this in regards to compatibility, reliability and functionality. I think it has been more than 2 years using MX Player on X10 Mini Pro, HTC One X, S4 i9505 and now Note 3 N9005

I would like to know about this HW+ incompatibilty issues on Snapdragon hardware. I had been using MX Player on HTC One X (that has Tegra 3 hardware) for a year and it mostly used to decode all my matroska video files on HW+ it used to play all 720p Hi10p files smooth. But since my switch to S4 i9505 I feel like I have downgraded on hardware lol it just don't play any file on HW+ (well all the mkv files I tried so far), it only plays on SW and well... it is not as smooth. And now I'm on Note 3 N9005 and the issue is same. One of my friend told me that the Snapdragon hardware doesn't support HW+... is that true?

Also, just to let you know that although surely MX Player is the only player on android that can render most SSA/ASS perfectly, it seems at some places to be lagging behind and I noticed that the subtitles and signs tend to "fade out" although originally they aren't programmed to be...

EDIT: I can confirm that Hi10p 720p matroska video file (with embedded subtitles) on my Note3 N9005 is not playing smooth (and only plays in S/W mode) when I played the same file on pc for comparison, it seems to be dropping/skipping frames to keep in sync... I miss my HTC One X now...

1) Hi10p can only be played on HW+ for Tegra devices. No exceptions. All non-Tegra devices must use SW for Hi10p.
EDIT: I'd like to note that HW+ Tegra support is a "hack" of sorts, so it probably won't be perfect. SW will likely give you a better picture, but HW+ Tegra will use less power while failing to render properly sometimes.

2) When using SW Mode:
--> a) Settings -> Decoder -> CPU core limit -> Set to max of whatever your device is
--> b) When playing video: Menu -> Play -> Use speedup tricks

The Note 3 has more than enough power to play 720p Hi10p. I've tested on all the recent high-end devices, and definitely no problems.

Last edited:

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
"Use speedup tricks" has eliminated all lag except for really complex scenes on 720p10bit for me. I don't remember seeing it, is it new?
Speedup tricks has been there for years; it's just no one knew to look there!

I've recently asked @bleu8888 to see if he could include it as a settings option in the Decoder menu, where it will be more visible.

Thirumalai.K

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011

It's not true that snapdragon hardware won't support HW+ decoder.

MX Player uses libstagefright library for hardware acceleration. But, there is some bug with samsung media framework implementation on kit kat devices.

In S5 we had the same problem which was later fixed by samsung by a update.

For Note3 the developer has already contacted the samsung team. But, unfortunately samsung hasn't releasd the fix yet.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

Speedup tricks has been there for years; it's just no one knew to look there!

I've recently asked @bleu8888 to see if he could include it as a settings option in the Decoder menu, where it will be more visible.
It was there in earlier versions in the name of "S/W fast decoder" & It's merged to S/W decoder after v1.7.

From v1.7 onwards it will automatically swtiches to S/W fast decoder moder if it's reqired.

Sometimes when it fails to switch to s/w fast decoder you can manually use speeduptricks from Menu 》Play 》Speedup tricks

For more information read the FAQ
https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/faq#TOC-Video-playback-slows-down-without-S-W-fast-decoder.

Last edited:

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
It's not true that snapdragon hardware won't support HW+ decoder.

MX Player uses libstagefright library for hardware acceleration. But, there is some bug with samsung media framework implementation on kit kat devices.

In S5 we had the same problem which was later fixed by samsung by a update.

For Note3 the developer has already contacted the samsung team. But, unfortunately samsung hasn't releasd the fix yet.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

ktsamy is right! Snapdragons are, in general, supported by HW+. It's just that in Samsung's case there was a glitch, as kt pointed out.

I'd like to note that my previous comment "HW+ does not work for Hi10p" still applies. It won't work for Hi10p unless it's a Tegra, and this is a "hack" so performance isn't perfect.

It was there in earlier versions in the name of "S/W fast decoder" & It's merged to S/W decoder after v1.7.

From v1.7 onwards it will automatically swtiches to S/W fast decoder moder if it's reqired.

Sometimes when it fails to switch to s/w fast decoder you can manually use speeduptricks from Menu 》Play 》Speedup tricks

For more information read the FAQ
https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/faq#TOC-Video-playback-slows-down-without-S-W-fast-decoder.
For me, in many cases during Hi10p playback, I need to manually enable speedup tricks anyways, even with the SW fast decoder auto switching. This is why I'm suggesting that it just be moved into the decoder page. I basically always keep speedup tricks enabled always now.

Reactions: xdadev_user11

Crim Soukyuu

Jun 10, 2014
At the risk of going off-topic, what is the downside to having that enabled? I didn't see any issues with any videos so far, so why not make it enabled by default? The user can still be advised to disable it should there be an issue.

Thirumalai.K

Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
For me, in many cases during Hi10p playback, I need to manually enable speedup tricks anyways, even with the SW fast decoder auto switching. This is why I'm suggesting that it just be moved into the decoder page. I basically always keep speedup tricks enabled always now.
At the risk of going off-topic, what is the downside to having that enabled? I didn't see any issues with any videos so far, so why not make it enabled by default? The user can still be advised to disable it should there be an issue.
Speedup Tricks is now available on the latest test build on Settings 》Decoder 》Software Decoder 》Use Speedup Tricks.
But, Not enabled by default. You can enable if you want to use it always.

You can grab the latest test build from here
https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/translation/test-build

Last edited:

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
I believe that "use speedup tricks" has smart frame drops and other "tricks" to speed up video rendering. The idea is that in general, you shouldn't notice (a significant) difference.

LunarisDream

Jun 22, 2014
A tip for those of you who can't play Hi10P smoothly on your device: you can reencode the video on your computer with the subtitles to get the full speed subtitle effects without any lag or frame drops (usually); this saves battery life and generally makes for a smoother viewing experience.

I used this tutorial. Had a problem with getting the DirectShowFilter to load correctly, which was fixed with Win7DSFilterTweaker, then reinstalling MPC-HC KCP.

Downsides: encoding time, high CPU usage for encoding, and an incredibly small loss in quality (unnoticeable, but every time you reencode a video there will be a loss).

Upsides: smaller file size, longer battery life, much lower tablet hardware requirements (enables viewing on low-end tablets).