[STICKY] MX Player 10-bit Video and HEVC Discussion

Search This thread

NathanXFK

Oct 18, 2021
4k H.265 10-bit isn't supported in HW. In SW obviously it's quite choppy.
Ouch... what a pity. I guess, due to covid19 there is a limited choice in available CPUs for mobile devices. So maybe it would be wise to wait a few months and see if other tablets with more recent and capable (in terms of 10 Bit hevc decoding) CPUs will hit the market. The Dimensity CPUs from Mediatek look quite promising.

Thank you anyway for your response and for clarifying!

Reactions: amn1987

rai978

Mar 24, 2022
Hello. Not so long ago I bought a Ugos UT8 TV box. CPU: Rockchip RK3568(Rockchip)+ 2.0G(64bit) Quad-CoreCortex-A55.
GPU: ARM Mali-G52 2EE.
The description says that there is support for h265. But Mx Player refuses to play it. If there is a HW codec, there is no sound, and if HW + then there is no video.

Tinderbox (UK)

Mar 31, 2010
England, UK
Hello. Not so long ago I bought a Ugos UT8 TV box. CPU: Rockchip RK3568(Rockchip)+ 2.0G(64bit) Quad-CoreCortex-A55.
GPU: ARM Mali-G52 2EE.
The description says that there is support for h265. But Mx Player refuses to play it. If there is a HW codec, there is no sound, and if HW + then there is no video.
Both the Ugos UT8 and Ugos UT8 Pro support H.265 playback according to the specs on the manufactures website,

Have you checked the codecs are enabled in local player settings/decoder/HW+ codecs and make sure they are all ticked.

I have a number of older Rockchip based TV Boxes myself and sometimes HW will not played h265, but HW+ plays them fine so i leave it set to that.

There are 8 and 10 bit h.265 video files but they should play fine, Have you tried other video player from the Google Store.

If you have tried video`s from a number of different sources and are still having problems i recommend you return the TV Box for a refund and buy something else.

rai978

Mar 24, 2022
Everything is enabled in mx player codec settings. I have tried many other players. And only in KODI hevc files play correctly

crazyboypl

Apr 29, 2022
Hello. I own a TVbox with chipset is "Allwinner H6". GPU is mali T720.
when I use MX player play the "H.265 10bit " video ,and resolution >= 2160p,(sorry I am from china,may be poor english.),The MX player can not use HW, unsupport. Just can use HW+ or SW(But the video is not smooth, lost frames.), but with the system default video player, It works perfect. very smooth. I have checked the cpu core, select 4 core at most. what can I do for MX player options? Thanks

magman2

Jun 21, 2022
I just got a Redmi Note 11 (which is powered by a Snapdragon 680) and discovered it struggles to play 1080p 10bit 265 videos. Then I realized MX Player was using the software decoder. Switching to HW or HW+ just gives a "HW decoder unsupported" message. I tried forcing it from the settings but that makes no difference. Based on what people said here and what I could find online it seems that CPU should support hardware 265 10bit decoding. Is something not working or does the chip really not support hardware decoding? I am really frustrated as my old Redmi Note 4 played all those videos with out any problem. I never expected it to be an issue with a phone so much newer. Is there any solution?

ashrobb

Jun 12, 2015
Redmi Note 12 Pro / Pro Plus 5G
I just got a Redmi Note 11 (which is powered by a Snapdragon 680) and discovered it struggles to play 1080p 10bit 265 videos. Then I realized MX Player was using the software decoder. Switching to HW or HW+ just gives a "HW decoder unsupported" message. I tried forcing it from the settings but that makes no difference. Based on what people said here and what I could find online it seems that CPU should support hardware 265 10bit decoding. Is something not working or does the chip really not support hardware decoding? I am really frustrated as my old Redmi Note 4 played all those videos with out any problem. I never expected it to be an issue with a phone so much newer. Is there any solution?

Been over a couple months but, have you fixed it? You can follow these steps to see HW codec support inside of the MX Player app. It is usually pretty accurate.

https://xdaforums.com/t/can-someone-confirm-10-bit-h265-hw-codec-support-for-me-please.4217525/

magman2

Jun 21, 2022
Been over a couple months but, have you fixed it? You can follow these steps to see HW codec support inside of the MX Player app. It is usually pretty accurate.

https://xdaforums.com/t/can-someone-confirm-10-bit-h265-hw-codec-support-for-me-please.4217525/
Unfortunately I still have not found any way to fix the issue. I created a thread discussing and investigating the problem you can read here: https://xdaforums.com/t/redmi-note-11-does-not-support-hardware-10bit-hevc-decoding.4460185/
The short summary is that we are not sure what is causing the problem, but we think it is a driver issue. Still hoping Xiaomi fix it at some point.

As a side note, I have seen phones that show a codec as unsupported in the MX Player decoding menu, but when you force it on anyway it actually works, so I would not automatically trust it without testing an actual video.

ashrobb

Jun 12, 2015
Just read everything. I think you are out of luck, when it comes to HW decoding. I posted this some time ago and I'm surprised to see how certain it has been most of the time

This subject has caught my interest for a while, and this thread always pops up in the google results. I've done a lot of research about it, even more since I started grabbing lots of 10-bit HEVC encodes. My experience is that most of the current high end chipsets have support for it (maybe all of them), so it shouldn't be a problem nowadays. Of course, it wasn't like this when this thread started in 2014.

Now the real deal is finding support in the mid range chipsets. I've come accross two wikipedia pages that are relatively kept up to date and I've been contributing myself.
For Snapdragon chipsets
For Mali GPUs (Mediatek chipsets)

So you can have an idea of the current HW codec suport for these chipsets. About Exynos, none of the 7xxx series have support for 10 bit HEVC as far as I know, even though some of them do support VP9. I guess you have to go to the high end range for that.

Something I've noticed as well is that you can find reviews for the device you want, specially in GSMarena, and if the camera supports 4k video recording by default, it is pretty much a sure thing that the device has 10 bit HEVC support, though I can't really confirm this.

Hope this info can be useful for someone later on. This thread has a lot of info but is very spread.

In particular the part where it says, if the phone doesn't record in 4K by default, it probably won't have 4K HW encoding/decoding support, and the most common 4K codec is 10-bit HEVC.

Qualcomm has released a few chips that even being more recent and with the newer manufacturing process, are cut down in features. The 680 is one of them, the ISP on that chip only supports video recording up to 1080p, so I'm not surprised it can't do HW decoding of 10-bit h265 files. Go to the "Camera" section and scroll down to "Video quality" on this review of the Note 11 https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_11-review-2394p5.php and you can read this

rn11.png

And I've found that website (cpu monkey) to be innacurate with these mobile chips when it comes to codec support. The Poco M3, which I wanted to get before I bought a Redmi Note 10 Pro, has a Snapdragon 662 (very similar to the 665 on the Redmi Note 8). But the 662 doesn't support 10 bit h265, unlike the 665 which has full support even being a bit older.
Cpu monkey claims both chips decode 10 bit h265.

Reactions: magman2

magman2

Jun 21, 2022
Just read everything. I think you are out of luck, when it comes to HW decoding. I posted this some time ago and I'm surprised to see how certain it has been most of the time

In particular the part where it says, if the phone doesn't record in 4K by default, it probably won't have 4K HW encoding/decoding support, and the most common 4K codec is 10-bit HEVC.

Qualcomm has released a few chips that even being more recent and with the newer manufacturing process, are cut down in features. The 680 is one of them, the ISP on that chip only supports video recording up to 1080p, so I'm not surprised it can't do HW decoding of 10-bit h265 files. Go to the "Camera" section and scroll down to "Video quality" on this review of the Note 11 https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_11-review-2394p5.php and you can read this

View attachment 5705689

And I've found that website (cpu monkey) to be innacurate with these mobile chips when it comes to codec support. The Poco M3, which I wanted to get before I bought a Redmi Note 10 Pro, has a Snapdragon 662 (very similar to the 665 on the Redmi Note 8). But the 662 doesn't support 10 bit h265, unlike the 665 which has full support even being a bit older.
Cpu monkey claims both chips decode 10 bit h265.
Thanks for the detailed response. What frustrates me (beyond not having hardware support of course) is the fact there was no easy way to know the 680 lacks 10 bit support. As far as I can tell, Qualcomm don't have it listed anywhere, and it seems the only site that does have something listed is wrong. If you are going to remove a feature that is mostly standard by now, you better make it very clear you took the feature out. I bought the Note 11 after 5 years of using a Note 4, which has 10 bit support despite not supporting 4K shooting. My assumption was that if a phone much older has the feature, surely the newer one will as well. I actually read the gsmarena review before I bought the phone, and the lack of 4k support was disappointing, but it did not raise any red flags for me. No 4K shooting is something I am fine with. No 10 bit support is not.

Sorry for the rant, and thanks again for your help. At least now I have some idea what to look out for in future phones.

Reactions: ashrobb

Tinderbox (UK)

Mar 31, 2010
England, UK
Does Redmi Note 11s with MediaTek Helio G96 support 10bit HEVC?
You better off asking on Redmi Note 11s section if there is one or posting a question on Amazon or other seller sites or email the manufacturer, I bough an Teclast tablet and the CPU is supposed to support 10-bit but the tablet would not play 10-bit in hardware only software, If the tablet does not have the correct software codecs installed it will not play in hardware even if the cpu supports it no matter the playback software, My old Teclast tablet played 10-bit fine but the latest model does not, I bought it from Amazon so it was an easy return for a refund.

Reactions: hiddentheory

hiddentheory

Oct 18, 2022
Somewhere in Nevada
You better off asking on Redmi Note 11s section if there is one or posting a question on Amazon or other seller sites or email the manufacturer, I bough an Teclast tablet and the CPU is supposed to support 10-bit but the tablet would not play 10-bit in hardware only software, If the tablet does not have the correct software codecs installed it will not play in hardware even if the cpu supports it no matter the playback software, My old Teclast tablet played 10-bit fine but the latest model does not, I bought it from Amazon so it was an easy return for a refund.
I checked some reviews and come to conclusion that Redmi Note 10s is better choice than 11s.

Because g95 is better than g96 and if assumptions on this thread are right that phones with 4k filming should support 10bit hevc.

Edit: Poco m5s is better choice because it's basically rebranded redmi note 10s for lower price.

Last edited:

ashrobb

Jun 12, 2015
I checked some reviews and come to conclusion that Redmi Note 10s is better choice than 11s.

Because g95 is better than g96 and if assumptions on this thread are right that phones with 4k filming should support 10bit hevc.

Edit: Poco m5s is better choice because it's basically rebranded redmi note 10s for lower price.

Did you get it? And yeah, you would guess the G96 would be better than G95, but at least in that aspect, it doesn't support 4K video recording and thus, decoding. According to the official website, it supports up to 2K video encoding/decoding https://www.mediatek.com/products/smartphones-2/mediatek-helio-g96
G95 did support 4K entirely https://www.mediatek.com/products/smartphones-2/mediatek-helio-g95

I hate the nomenclature of some Qualcomm and Mediatek chips. What a weird thing to do.

Tinderbox (UK)

Mar 31, 2010
England, UK
Hello guys. Does anyone know if the T618 chipset can play hevec 10bit in hw mode?
The cpu-monkey website says the T618 dose support 10-bit HEVC, But it depends if the tablet manufacture bothered to add the 10-bit HEVC HW codec (most dont), If they have not it will only play in software even of the T618 cpu supports it, My advise is to buy from a place with easy free returns.

Reactions: Kurosan26

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MX Player 10-bit Video and HEVC Discussion
    Back on our old Google Groups forum, we had a long thread of users sharing and discussing their experiences with 10-bit video playback, HEVC playback, device capabilities, and other interesting related topics.

This thread will be a continuation of that discussion. The original thread can be found here:
    https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mx-videoplayer/CVvvmsXpdz8/discussion

If you have anything you want to share relating to 10-bit playback, hardware support, and MX Player, please join the discussion!

How can I check what hardware codecs are enabled on my phone's GPU?
    You can use an App such as Hardware Info: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dama.hardwareinfo

My device is playing Hi10p really poorly, even though it's a very new/powerful phone! What can I do?
    CDB-Man said:
    1) h.264 AVC Hi10p can only be played on HW+ for Tegra devices. No exceptions. All non-Tegra devices must use SW for h.264 AVC Hi10p.

2) When using SW Mode:
    --> a) Settings -> Decoder -> CPU core limit -> Set to max of whatever your device is
    --> b) Settings -> Decoder -> Use speedup tricks

LIST OF DEMANDING Hi10p FILES THAT YOU CAN USE TO TEST YOUR DEVICE (mainly anime as that's what most commonly uses Hi10p)
    1. http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=489663&showfiles=1 This file is fairly demanding at 22.3Mbps bitrate.
    2. Anything from http://coalgirls.wakku.to/ that's 1080p and released in 2013 or later would be 10bit, and would make for a good test. All their files are relatively high bitrate, so it will be a good indicator of the CPU's capabilities with S/W.
    3. If you are willing to waste bandwidth with an even harder test, you could try this: http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=552753 12GB and 10835 kbit/s bitrate.
    4. Unique encoding settings: http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=557914&showfiles=1 movies 1 or 2. This is also 10bit (720p), but with 4:4:4 subsampling (on movies 1 and 2) as opposed to standard 4:2:0 subsampling.
    5. Very, VERY demanding: HEVC 4K 10bit video @ 51.6 Mb/s: http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=96
    6. Various reference files from libde (including Big Buck Bunny): http://www.libde265.org/downloads-videos/

CDB-Man

Now, a very useful summary by @Dante of the Inferno of the current required specs to successfully play 10-bit files on Android!
    Last updated: 2015-08-24
    Hi10p Minimum Hardware Requirements:

x86 Architecture:
    720p:
    • 2.0+ GHz Dual Core CPU with integrated graphics (2006 or later)
    • 2.2+ GHz Single Core CPU (up to 30 fps and low bit rate)
    1080p:

• Intel Atom Z3770 (Bay Trail) with integrated graphics (2014 or later)

ARM Architecture:
    720p:
    • Snapdragon 600 SoC (2013 or later) - based on quad-core 1.9 GHz Krait 300 CPU and Adreno 320 GPU
    1080p:
    • Exynos 7 Octa 7420 (2015 or later) - based on ARM v8
    • Amlogic S812 - based on ARM A9 with octo-core Mali 450 GPU
    • Nvidia Tegra K1
    • Snapdragon 810 (generally should work, but probably only for lower bitrate files)
    First of all thanks for the great player which is so far the best long running player on Android and yet no other player comes as close as this in regards to compatibility, reliability and functionality. I think it has been more than 2 years using MX Player on X10 Mini Pro, HTC One X, S4 i9505 and now Note 3 N9005

I would like to know about this HW+ incompatibilty issues on Snapdragon hardware. I had been using MX Player on HTC One X (that has Tegra 3 hardware) for a year and it mostly used to decode all my matroska video files on HW+ it used to play all 720p Hi10p files smooth. But since my switch to S4 i9505 I feel like I have downgraded on hardware lol it just don't play any file on HW+ (well all the mkv files I tried so far), it only plays on SW and well... it is not as smooth. And now I'm on Note 3 N9005 and the issue is same. One of my friend told me that the Snapdragon hardware doesn't support HW+... is that true?

Also, just to let you know that although surely MX Player is the only player on android that can render most SSA/ASS perfectly, it seems at some places to be lagging behind and I noticed that the subtitles and signs tend to "fade out" although originally they aren't programmed to be...

EDIT: I can confirm that Hi10p 720p matroska video file (with embedded subtitles) on my Note3 N9005 is not playing smooth (and only plays in S/W mode) when I played the same file on pc for comparison, it seems to be dropping/skipping frames to keep in sync... I miss my HTC One X now...

Other than that I have no complaints at all... MX Player is the best!
    1) Hi10p can only be played on HW+ for Tegra devices. No exceptions. All non-Tegra devices must use SW for Hi10p.
    EDIT: I'd like to note that HW+ Tegra support is a "hack" of sorts, so it probably won't be perfect. SW will likely give you a better picture, but HW+ Tegra will use less power while failing to render properly sometimes.

2) When using SW Mode:
    --> a) Settings -> Decoder -> CPU core limit -> Set to max of whatever your device is
    --> b) When playing video: Menu -> Play -> Use speedup tricks

The Note 3 has more than enough power to play 720p Hi10p. I've tested on all the recent high-end devices, and definitely no problems.
    I am having a very similar issue on my Nexus 9 running CyanogenMod ZNH5YAO0J1 and MX Player 1.8.9:
    - the file is a 10 bit 1080p HEVC, 1:40:58 long and 2 GB large which puts it at around 2850 kbit/s if my math is right.
    - HW and HW+ both say unsupported
    - alternative HW+ opens the video but only shows black screen. Audio plays normally
    - SW is borderline watchable with speedup and 4 cores but gets laggy in some scenes.
    Can such video work on Nexus 9 with sufficient speed at all? Or is the device just too underpowered?

Wysłane z mojego XT1580 przy użyciu Tapatalka
    I don't think our Nexus 9 has support for x265 10bit / just x265 yes
    x264 10bit yes!
    x265 10bit no!
    x265 maybe I think it worked for me once on CM.

PS. The Nexus 9 only has 2 cores :good:
    x265 is laggy on almost every device that uses SW
    Just wanted to add to the pool of knowledge here.

10bit 720p seems to be working perfectly so far on my Note 3. I only tested a couple of videos, but I have yet to see any lag, even during panning scenes. The videos tested were: Jojo Stardust Crusaders (some episodes, by Horriblesubs), Soul Eater Not (some episodes, also by Horriblesubs) and Nisekoi (one episode, by FFF). It is not overclocked, and I am running the X-Note rom. I disable multitasking and kill all processes just to be safe before playback (unsure if this is even needed). It is playing in H/W+.

I tried some 1080p 10bit videos and it was awful. I have no idea how the guy with the S5 managed to watch it. The Note 3 has the same hardware, so maybe the videos he tried were of a lower bitrate...? I don't know.
    For those with HTC M8, if you enable developer options and check high performance mode then you can playback Hi10p 1080p videos smoothly in SW mode in MX player. Just don't forget to turn it off afterwards as it sucks the battery life right out of the phone!

The S801 is powerful enough to play Hi10p 1080p in SW mode. I'm using an Asian model of the HTC M8 that clocks the S801 at 2.5GHz, European ans US models of the HTC M8 run the S801 at 2.3GHz but it should still be fast enough for Hi10p 1080p.