Still having location problems - 2.1 ROMs

Search This thread

mkhopper

Nov 20, 2009
With the number of different 2.1-based roms available now, do any of them address the issue of the device reporting its location incorrectly when GPS is turned off?

I'm running with the DC Rom v2.07.2 and am thinking about flashing the latest Fresh rom just to see if it makes any difference at all

Prior to installing any 2.1 based rom, with the GPS off, the tower derived location always worked perfectly and never had any problems pinpointing right where I was on the map. After moving to 2.1 though, my location is now always reported as at least 1 or 2 miles away, sometimes more. It seems to be reporting a tower location rather than triangulating between towers to determine my actual location.

I've seen messages by others experiencing similar issues, but there's never any follow up on them. So I'm just curious, how many people really notice that their non-gps location is wrong and is there any way to fix this, other than going back to 1.5?

dwertz

Aug 22, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
With the number of different 2.1-based roms available now, do any of them address the issue of the device reporting its location incorrectly when GPS is turned off?

I'm running with the DC Rom v2.07.2 and am thinking about flashing the latest Fresh rom just to see if it makes any difference at all

Prior to installing any 2.1 based rom, with the GPS off, the tower derived location always worked perfectly and never had any problems pinpointing right where I was on the map. After moving to 2.1 though, my location is now always reported as at least 1 or 2 miles away, sometimes more. It seems to be reporting a tower location rather than triangulating between towers to determine my actual location.

I've seen messages by others experiencing similar issues, but there's never any follow up on them. So I'm just curious, how many people really notice that their non-gps location is wrong and is there any way to fix this, other than going back to 1.5?

Most of those issues were caused by the Airave.

kingakuma

Nov 10, 2009
California
www.facebook.com
of course your location will be off when not using GPS, because you are using cell tower triangulation to give an approx area of your location the only way to give your true location is with GPS enabled

mkhopper

Nov 20, 2009
I understand that non-GPS location isn't perfect, but as I mentioned, when using OS v1.5, be it stock or a custom rom, with the GPS turned off, location based on tower triangulation was (almost) always dead on. It was actually quite surprising how accurate it was. And if it didn't pinpoint my exact location at times, it at least locked to the nearest tower.

After moving to v2.1 however, location data derived by tower triangulation is constantly wrong and is always off by a few miles or more no matter where I'm at. I don't use the Airave.

In my home, right now, all location values and maps show that I'm about 6 miles from where I'm actually sitting. I was in that area about 6 miles away about 5 hours ago. The phone however thinks it's still there. (Rebooting reset the location closer to my immediate area, but it's still wrong.)

When I'm at work, location is shown locked to a tower about 2 miles away, which I know is not the nearest, no matter where in the immediate area I go.

Maybe I'm making more of a deal of this than it needs to be, but it's something that worked in the older OS versions and now doesn't, at least correctly and it bugs me. And unfortunately, I don't know enough about the system programming internals to start pulling things apart looking for differences in location coding between OS versions 1.5 and 2.1.

centran

Jan 8, 2010
did you update the radio? maybe your phone is seeing different towers.

I can say personally for me that my location jumps from being almost perfect to a mile away when I am at home. One day the middle dot is spot on and the next day it is a mile away(always in the same spot). When the phone is stationary in one spot the cell tower location can goofy.

mkhopper

Nov 20, 2009
Try updating and re-activating to sprint.
When mine was messed up it was due to my PRI being incorrect.

When I re-activated my phone everything seems to be working fine.

How fix PRI. READ IF YOU HAVE FLASHED ANY DEV ROM

[Resolved]Network Location problem / bug? (2.1)

I never flashed any v2.1 ROM created from the Eris base, which as we've read, seems to what lead to the original issue with PRIs. I only moved to 2.1 with the newest DamageControl ROMs created from the leaked "official" 2.1 Hero base, and only after confirming that I didn't have the PRI issue.

Was running with Fresh 1.0 for the longest time.
Upgraded to OS v2.1 by wiping and flashing DC v2.0r3.
Wiped and flashed DC v2.05 and then flashed up to DC v2.07.2.

My PRI has always been 1.68_003 and has not changed during any of these updates.

The only thing I have not done is to flash the newest radio. Seems most people have done it with no issues, but I've always been a little on the fence with messing with that part of the device. I may have to do it though if for no other reason than to check it off the list of possible issues.

mkhopper

Nov 20, 2009
[Resolved (?)] Still having location problems - 2.1 ROMs

Flashed the updated radio and the location issue seems to be resolved, sort of.

Now the location bounces around from each of the three closest towers, sometimes settling on my exact location for a few moments before cycling around the towers again.

However, this is at least much better than it was before and is close enough for government work, as they say.