still no bootloader unlock for SM-N960U?

Search This thread

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
still no bootloader unlock method for SM-N960U?
Bootloader unlock works the same on most, if not all, Samsung devices. Enable OEM Unlocking (if available) in Developer Options. If it is not available, unlocking the bootloader is not possible.
Next, power the device completely off, not plugged in. Make sure your USB cable is connected to your computer, not a charger. Hold both Volume buttons, and while holding plug in the USB cable - do NOT press Power. A warning screen should come up regarding custom OS, and if OEM Unlocking was enabled, you should see an option for Device Unlock mode.

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
Bootloader unlock works the same on most, if not all, Samsung devices. Enable OEM Unlocking (if available) in Developer Options. If it is not available, unlocking the bootloader is not possible.
Next, power the device completely off, not plugged in. Make sure your USB cable is connected to your computer, not a charger. Hold both Volume buttons, and while holding plug in the USB cable - do NOT press Power. A warning screen should come up regarding custom OS, and if OEM Unlocking was enabled, you should see an option for Device Unlock mode.
I am planning to buy a used SM-N960U but I have read some threads dated 2020 stating this variant (US snapdragon version) cannot be unlocked. So you can unlock it now?

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I am planning to buy a used SM-N960U but I have read some threads dated 2020 stating this variant (US snapdragon version) cannot be unlocked. So you can unlock it now?
I didn't say that. I said that if unlocking the bootloader is possible, it works the same across most Samsung devices. I should have specified that US Snapdragon devices are typically not unlockable.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
ok "typically" means what? some can? How to identify such variants?
Except for some very specific examples, I am not aware of any Samsung Snapdragon devices marketed in the US that are bootloader unlockable. There have been some here and there - such as the Galaxy S6 or S7 - but this was almost always patched with a bootloader update.

There is no specific identifier; you just have to keep your ear to the ground, so to speak, and watch for any information.

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
ok thx. I am going to look for LG equivalent models instead then; they are generally cheaper too in the used market.

jonesdavid1997

Dec 16, 2016
ok thx. I am going to look for LG equivalent models instead then; they are generally cheaper too in the used market.
Unless you're looking for a V30+, you're out of luck if you're trying to mod a V60 or a Velvet. Owned both of them, the T-Mobile variant of the Velvet can be bootloader unlocked, but there's no custom recovery or rom made at all. There's GSI roms, but some drivers for the phone is missing, so possibly the cameras or even the fingerprint reader may not work.