Still no custom roms or kernels for this device?

Search This thread

anandverma458

Nov 1, 2016
So the phone has been in the market for quite a while, and I'm still impressed by the monstrous specs it provided, but I'm surprised to see that there are NO custom roms or kernels for this phone, even the TWRP builds from shakalaca seem old, so I'm afraid to try them out on the latest version. Even the rooting process is complicated as compared to other phones because of no custom recovery. If any developer is interested in making a custom kernel or rom for this devices, they can head over to the official ASUS' website and get the source from here, and I'm willing to do the beta testing if the results seem promising. So, anyone?

Reactions: johnne40

Einheit-101

Jul 4, 2013
ROG Phone 1 was not very popular and it is literally dead today. ROG Phone II and III are much more popular, have better specs (Much better battery, which is needed) and a solid community with everything a modder wants/needs.

anandverma458

Nov 1, 2016
didn't u try any GSI rom? I believe this device is fully compatible.

I don't know about a GSI rom, sorry ? Anyways what are they and where can I find one? I think I've seen some websites that offer a custom rom for this phone and I think that they mentioned GSI, but the websites looked kinda shady to me and they were even providing a link for TWRP for the phone....

rainmadhack

Feb 22, 2013
kuala lumpur
So the phone has been in the market for quite a while, and I'm still impressed by the monstrous specs it provided, but I'm surprised to see that there are NO custom roms or kernels for this phone, even the TWRP builds from shakalaca seem old, so I'm afraid to try them out on the latest version. Even the rooting process is complicated as compared to other phones because of no custom recovery. If any developer is interested in making a custom kernel or rom for this devices, they can head over to the official ASUS' website and get the source from here, and I'm willing to do the beta testing if the results seem promising. So, anyone?

accept the fact that rog phone 1 is beta for 2, the successor is 3 :laugh: . rog phone 1 user is like lab rat :eek:

zerokoo

Jul 21, 2012
With the source code / kernel available on asuses website there is no stopping a custom Ron being baked . Bake one flash it and try :)

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Personally I was just gifted one of these phones and holy crap it's a nice experience

Rocky7842

You can try Project Treble if you don't have the ability to build a rom yourself.
I have successfully installed Android 12 based LineageOS and CorvusOS on my zs600kl using Treble, and it seems to work find. Noted that I just do it for fun cause it's not my daily drive now, any bugs would be possible, but at least it can boot just fine.

Reactions: johnne40

johnne40

Apr 3, 2022
You can try Project Treble if you don't have the ability to build a rom yourself.
I have successfully installed Android 12 based LineageOS and CorvusOS on my zs600kl using Treble, and it seems to work find. Noted that I just do it for fun cause it's not my daily drive now, any bugs would be possible, but at least it can boot just fine.

I Actually sold it 3 weeks ago now :D .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Indeed you're right, but still the phone was a flagship.... It's sad to see zero development for it today