• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Still no Hummingbird specific browser optimizations = SLOW browser scrolling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

gtg465x

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2008
For those who haven't used a Galaxy S running Android 2.2, let me get you up to speed on a disappointing situation we have on our hands.

First, you should be aware that Galaxy S phones running Android 2.1 provide one of the smoothest Android browsing experiences around (even compared to other Android phones running 2.2). Scrolling is exceptionally smooth in most scenarios.

As you may have heard, Google heavily optimized the browser in Android 2.2. Unforunately, it seems they optimized it with Qualcomm (Snapdragon) processors in mind. While browsing became faster and smoother on phones with Qualcomm processors, it became (much) slower on phones with Hummingbird processors, especially when it comes to scrolling. Scrolling on websites with moderately heavy content (especially when you're zoomed out) is a chore on Galaxy S phones running 2.2. It's very jerky and slow. This is the case even when Flash is completely disabled, so that isn't the cause. If you've read many Galaxy Tab reviews, you've probably seen them point out how surprisingly jerky scrolling is in the browser.

Fortunately for Galaxy S users, Samsung has taken notice of the problem and last week leaked an Android 2.2.1 build for Galaxy S phones that includes GPU acceleration within the browser. This effectively fixes the problem. On this leaked build, scrolling is very smooth again in the browser. Even smoother than it was on Android 2.1 in fact. The only downside is that checkerboard patterns are occasionally seen when scrolling quickly, as is the case with GPU accelerated browsing in iOS and WP7.

Many of us were hoping the real fix would come with Gingerbread since Google was finally optimizing Android for a Hummingbird powered phone (the Nexus S of course). Unfortunately, after watching and reading several reviews of the Nexus S, I am disappointed to tell you that the problem hasn't been resolved. The Nexus S running 2.3 suffers from the same poor browser scrolling performance as the Galaxy S line does running 2.2. If you're coming from a Snapdragon based phone running 2.2 or a Galaxy S running 2.1 or 2.2.1, you WILL notice how slow scrolling is in the browser of the Nexus S.

If you want to see for yourself, take a look at the following video starting at about 12:50:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xClO6d-S86w&feature=player_embedded

At this point, we can only hope for review sites to bash the browsing performance and for Google to take notice and do something about it (better optimization or GPU acceleration like in the leaked Galaxy S 2.2.1 build). Please voice this issue loudly in every forum you visit and pray that Google sees it and makes fixing it a priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rawat and LK_Harry

slowz3r

Jun 10, 2010
Malmstrom AFB, MT
For those who haven't used a Galaxy S running Android 2.2, let me get you up to speed on a disappointing situation we have on our hands.

First, you should be aware that Galaxy S phones running Android 2.1 provide one of the smoothest Android browsing experiences around (even compared to other Android phones running 2.2). Scrolling is exceptionally smooth in most scenarios.

As you may have heard, Google heavily optimized the browser in Android 2.2. Unforunately, it seems they optimized it with Qualcomm (Snapdragon) processors in mind. While browsing became faster and smoother on phones with Qualcomm processors, it became (much) slower on phones with Hummingbird processors, especially when it comes to scrolling. Scrolling on websites with moderately heavy content (especially when you're zoomed out) is a chore on Galaxy S phones running 2.2. It's very jerky and slow. This is the case even when Flash is completely disabled, so that isn't the cause. If you've read many Galaxy Tab reviews, you've probably seen them point out how surprisingly jerky scrolling is in the browser.

Fortunately for Galaxy S users, Samsung has taken notice of the problem and last week leaked an Android 2.2.1 build for Galaxy S phones that includes GPU acceleration within the browser. This effectively fixes the problem. On this leaked build, scrolling is very smooth again in the browser. Even smoother than it was on Android 2.1 in fact. The only downside is that checkerboard patterns are occasionally seen when scrolling quickly, as is the case with GPU accelerated browsing in iOS and WP7.

Many of us were hoping the real fix would come with Gingerbread since Google was finally optimizing Android for a Hummingbird powered phone (the Nexus S of course). Unfortunately, after watching and reading several reviews of the Nexus S, I am disappointed to tell you that the problem hasn't been resolved. The Nexus S running 2.3 suffers from the same poor browser scrolling performance as the Galaxy S line does running 2.2. If you're coming from a Snapdragon based phone running 2.2 or a Galaxy S running 2.1 or 2.2.1, you WILL notice how slow scrolling is in the browser of the Nexus S.

If you want to see for yourself, take a look at the following video starting at about 12:50:

At this point, we can only hope for review sites to bash the browsing performance and for Google to take notice and do something about it (better optimization or GPU acceleration like in the leaked Galaxy S 2.2.1 build). Please voice this issue loudly in every forum you visit and pray that Google sees it and makes fixing it a priority.

Its an issue with flash

nxt

Jun 5, 2006
Southern California
Samsung Galaxy S20
Might be the crappy website he's on, other reviews shows other websites with flash and it's buttery smooth.

Also, you CAN NOT compare the Nexus S with PURE ANDROID 2.3 with a Samsung Galaxy S series phone with SAMSUNG TOUCHWIZ ANDROID! They are night and day comparisons!

BlackOtaku

Dec 18, 2009
I have trouble believing this when none of reviews I have read make mention of browser lag at all, and the videos I have seen show the Nexus S scrolling quite smoothly.

Reactions: gtg465x

gtg465x

Jun 16, 2008
Are there REALLY Snapdragon optimizations in Android 2.2's browser or is that just hearsay because browsing is laggy on the Galaxy S?

1) Browser scrolls smoothly on Galaxy S with 2.1
2) Google "optimizes" the OS and browser for 2.2 while using a Snapdragon based phone for development
3) Browser scrolls horribly on Galaxy S with 2.2

Maybe they didn't intentionally optimize for Snapdragon. I don't know. Call it what you will, but Google certainly made changes to Android that helped Snapdragon CPUs and hurt Hummingbird CPUs when it comes to browser smoothness.

Might be the crappy website he's on

It's not the website. I've looked into this thoroughly for the last couple months and scrolling is slow on pretty much any website with a lot of content... Anandtech, Engadget, Gizmodo, Pocketnow, etc. If it was just a bad website, then why does the Nexus One in the video scroll so much smoother? It's clearly a problem with Android 2.2+ on Hummingbird processors.

other reviews shows other websites with flash and it's buttery smooth.

THE PROBLEM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FLASH! Flash works FINE on Galaxy S phones as well as the Nexus S and runs perfectly smooth. The problem is noticeable on websites with a lot of images and html content.

Also, you CAN NOT compare the Nexus S with PURE ANDROID 2.3 with a Samsung Galaxy S series phone with SAMSUNG TOUCHWIZ ANDROID! They are night and day comparisons!

Yeah well they have one thing in common. They both scroll slow as hell in the browser on content heavy sites with Android 2.2+!

You can make all the excuses you want, but when you get a Nexus S and realize how slow browser scrolling is compared to your old Snapdragon phone running 2.2 or your old Galaxy S running 2.1 you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

touchpro247

Apr 8, 2009
Last edited:

gtg465x

Jun 16, 2008
I have trouble believing this when none of reviews I have read make mention of browser lag at all, and the videos I have seen show the Nexus S scrolling quite smoothly.

Did you watch the Anandtech video I posted? The proof is right there! I believe Joshua Topolsky also mentioned briefly in the Engadget podcast this week that the browser felt slower than it should.

This slow scrolling is ONLY in the browser and ONLY on websites with a lot of content. The scrolling also isn't as bad when you're zoomed way in. Keep those things in mind when you see a video of the Nexus S scrolling in the browser.

Last edited:

ikon8

Feb 23, 2010
L.A.
Did you watch the Anandtech video I posted? The proof is right there! I believe Joshua Topolsky also mentioned briefly in the Engadget podcast this week that the browser felt slower than it should.

This slow scrolling is ONLY in the browser and ONLY on websites with a lot of content. The scrolling also isn't as bad when you're zoomed way in. Keep those things in mind when you see a video of the Nexus S scrolling in the browser.

Dude, you need to relax. This phone is not even released yet. By the way you talk, you make it sound like you've been using a Nexus S for a couple months now.

BlackOtaku

Dec 18, 2009

I did, and what I'm saying is that that's the only instance of lag we've seen or heard mentioned so far, even with 'professional' reviewers reviewing the phone. I'm not going to deny that there could be a problem though, but we'll have to wait until Thursday to know for sure.

gtg465x

Jun 16, 2008

gtg465x

Jun 16, 2008
Dude, you need to relax. This phone is not even released yet. By the way you talk, you make it sound like you've been using a Nexus S for a couple months now.

Heard of the Galaxy S? Yeahhhh. Same phone, different software. I was hoping 2.3 would solve the issue but it looks like it doesn't from what I've seen/read.

n1kki6

Nov 10, 2010
Hoestly that video you posted made up my mind for me, I am picking up the nexus s on thursday instead of going back to the MT4G. That thing is silky smooth. Don't care about the one hiccup in this video.

gtg465x

Jun 16, 2008
I did, and what I'm saying is that that's the only instance of lag we've seen or heard mentioned so far, even with 'professional' reviewers reviewing the phone. I'm not going to deny that there could be a problem though, but we'll have to wait until Thursday to know for sure.

That Anandtech video isn't the only place I've seen/heard about it. I own a Galaxy S and we've been dealing with this problem for months, so excuse me if I'm terrified at the first signs that the Nexus S browser is laggy.

gtg465x

Jun 16, 2008
Hoestly that video you posted made up my mind for me, I am picking up the nexus s on thursday instead of going back to the MT4G. That thing is silky smooth. Don't care about the one hiccup in this video.

That's fine. I'm not out to bash the Nexus S or the people that buy it. The Nexus S is clearly an AWESOME phone and I want to get one. I simply don't want the browsing experience hampered by software that doesn't play nice with Hummingbird. I want Google to take notice that their latest software made changes that cause Hummingbird processors to scroll very choppy on content heavy sites in the browser. I want them to fix it or at least make it like it was on 2.1 because this phone could be so much better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Relax guys. We'll sort it out if it's a problem.

BTW check the browsing speed on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W7xy9sfCKE