[STOCK][CROSSFLASH][GUIDE] How to install Stock Rom (or crossflash) using LG UP

ShadowSom

Jan 12, 2020
Tested on LM-G710EAW

Thanks to @LameMonster82 for this guide. I just replaced V20f-IND-XX with V20b-LAO-COM i.e. Stock European Pie on my LM-G710EAW but VoLTE does not work over Jio 4G network, not tested other SIM Cards.
After upgrading i have noticed improvement on Proper Brightness scaling and HiFi Quad DAC in this ROM. In V20f-IND-XX ROM i was not able to get very low brightness in midnight and the sound output was highly DSP tune which was really unnecessary.

kingcarcas

Apr 14, 2020
Yikes so i finally sat down and got it done. What a headache.
My screen broke on my S8 so that's why I got one of these secret Sprint phones on the cheap.
First that other guys thread was missing some directions. A real noob could get confused with those instructions.
I didn't install the USB drivers because it seemed to come bundled with LGUP, didn't work on the first try so i checked and i did indeed have a newer version installed, turns out i just didn't write the path right to the kdz.
Then I didn't realize I had to start with the "cmd" cmd. (Thanks for telling us how to find the COM port!)
Then it worked! :D

Now to test my service, when i first got the phone (G710PM) i had a problem switching over to Tracfone, i had to manually enter my APN settings or whatever to get it to work. Then I realized it wasn't updating from Android 8 so i was pretty annoyed when my S8 had run 9 previously.

Seems like I'm using a firmware from US Cellular (wherever that is) G710VMX20b_00
Are we going to have to do this all over again with 10? :eek:

Last edited:

myclone1234

Jan 24, 2018
Will cross-flash make change hardware version in phone setting>about?

Hello everyone, base on imei number, my phone is G7 Plus G710EAW dual sim, but in phone setting>about it show hardware version is G710EMW, so I think somehow its previous owner cross-flashed. The problem is after I re-flash G710EAW version (G710EAW20a_00_OPEN_HK_DS_OP_0621.kdz) following instruction in first page , phone setting>about keeps showing exactly the same hardware and software version as before I flash. Why these thing happen?

muzammil457

Aug 23, 2013
Thanks to @LameMonster82 for this guide. I just replaced V20f-IND-XX with V20b-LAO-COM i.e. Stock European Pie on my LM-G710EAW but VoLTE does not work over Jio 4G network, not tested other SIM Cards.
After upgrading i have noticed improvement on Proper Brightness scaling and HiFi Quad DAC in this ROM. In V20f-IND-XX ROM i was not able to get very low brightness in midnight and the sound output was highly DSP tune which was really unnecessary.
I flashed 10s on my lg g7 eaw and it got bricked. I had to restore it via qfil partition restoration. I was forced to flash 11g 710ulm partitions from xda g7 unbrick op. After that i got download mode and when i flashed stock kdz i found my phone was converted to single sim pgone. Then i tried many kdz,s but no success even from stock of own modal oreo or pie,
Moreover too many bugs were encountered like apps crash. Google play crashes. And sudden restart.
pls suggest me any solution

Last edited:

ShadowSom

Jan 12, 2020
I flashed 10s on my lg g7 eaw and it got bricked. I had to restore it via qfil partition restoration. I was forced to flash 11g 710ulm partitions from xda g7 unbrick op. After that i got download mode and when i flashed stock kdz i found my phone was converted to single sim pgone. Then i tried many kdz,s but no success even from stock of own modal oreo or pie,
Moreover too many bugs were encountered like apps crash. Google play crashes. And sudden restart.
pls suggest me any solution
I think you should join telegram chat group provided by OP in this thread for help. Hope someone might solve your problem.

mattk42

Jun 25, 2020
(Okay, I managed to learn some things since I posted. So I'm going to update this post for others as well.) Answers to my own questions in bold, please correct me if wrong.

I'm another who purchased a LG G7 on ebay, turns out it's a 710PM flashed to 710ULM. I've been learning about all this stuff over the last few days, not familiar with it before. I've thought about returning the phone, or keeping it but flashing to newer android, pie most likely.

There's few things I don't understand yet about the process, and would really appreciate some of you knowledgeable folks passing on what you know. It's probably been addressed before, and I've been reading other threads on this site and others, but sometimes you have to have someone answer a question you've directly asked for the answer to make sense.

I've read that (as long as it's not a Tmobile G7) you can crossflash to any .kdz. How do the regions fit into that? Like the USA/EU/GFI/BPS/BPT? Also, it's not necessary to have the bootloader unlocked for crossflash? Not sure if that's the case on my device, but it has been crossflashed already - obviously since it's a PM running ULM software. So, it seems it should be OK for crossflashing, regardless of whether the bootloader is locked. Is unlocked bootloader primarily for flashing another OS (lineage) or for rooting?
Just DON'T flash a Tmobile G7 with non-Tmobile kdz and don't flash non-Tmobile G7 with Tmobile kdz. The regions may change cell signal and data signal if flashed for a different region than you use the phone in. Maybe something to do with blocking/accepting certain bands. USA is unlocked USA firmware. There is also unlocked EU firmware. GFI is Google Fi. BPS and BPT are a Brightpoint.

If I do go ahead and flash, this guide seems to be the most clear, straightforward guide I've found so far. Are the links up to date for the drivers and program? Or should I google search for the latest ones? Or are there version issues, where certain versions need to be used to flash certain releases of ROMs?
Use the driver linked in the guide for flashing any kdz. (Maybe not for Tmobile G7, not sure on that. Basically, I've learned be super careful if you have a Tmo G7 and know exactly what you are doing). To use GUI interface use LGUP 1.14. Can only use CMD instructions (used in this guide) with LGUP 1.15 or 1.16. Using "Upgrade" option in GUI version of LGUP keeps your data, but might not work for crossflashing (not same firmware as device -- i.e. my case with a 710PM Sprint phone and 710ULM firmware. You can't keep your data if you use CMD to flash.

The guide is specifically for the European Pie? Should the rest of the files work and allow me to install the latest USA Pie version from lg-firmwares (G710ULM20f_00_NAO_US_OP_0218.kdz)? Or the Brightpoint version (G710ULM21f_00_NAO_US_OP_0219.kdz)? Sorry, can't post the actual links yet. And again, don't understand the difference between USA or BPT/BPS. Is there any reason to go for the EU version over the USA version or vice versa? I'm in USA, but could potentially use the phone overseas, with a local SIM (yah know, if we ever get on planes again) but as long as frequency bands are supported I don't see how one would be better than the other.

Last thing I'm wondering about is the "Play Protect Certification." That's when I realized something was wrong, when trying to install Netflix. Since the serial number no longer exists, that won't come back after flashing to other ROMs? I don't know whether it's the S/N, the ULM firmware running on a PM device and some IMEI disagreement, or the potentially unlocked bootloader that lost the device it's "Play Protect Certification." I really only use Netflix to chromecast, so having it on my phone isn't huge deal. I understand too, that it may be possible to install latest Netflix via an APK. So, not having Play Protect certification may not be an issue anyway, as long as I can get those apps working in another way. The Play store worked to install all the other apps I use, so it shouldn't be an issue to do that again with another crossflashed firmware? I don't use Google Pay, so that's not a concern either. Are there other issues with not having the Play Protect?
Still don't know what causes devices to lose Play Protect Certification. May not just be the serial number. There are ways to get the serial number back, but may not be worth the risk doing, if it doesn't have a benefit. Netflix can be installed via an APK.

Sorry for the long post, I really appreciate any who read it and respond with info. Hopefully it's not too long and also helps anyone else who has the same questions. I really like the hardware that I got, for the price I got it and if there's a way to make it work in the way I expected then I am interested in that.

Thanks!

Last edited:

tolovan2

Jul 21, 2020
Thanks for the guide ! Flashing G710EM20b worked, along with G710N20c. However, on those firmware version I wasn't able to enter fastboot mode. Plugging in a usb cable while holding down the volume down button resulted in a reboot, same with using "adb reboot bootloader". Seems strange since flashing my previous firmware version (G710ULM11g) allows me to access fastboot mode again. Anyone know a solution to this?