[STOCK][CROSSFLASH][GUIDE] How to install Stock Rom (or crossflash) using LG UP

Search This thread
photo_2019-08-19_19-36-05.jpg

This is a guide on how to install Stock Rom or Crossflash on any LG G7 ThinQ
(Except for G710TM and G710V)

Please read everything written down and on the second post before asking questions!

Before we do anything i have to explain some stuff:
  • I am not responsible for any damages that may occur during the installation or after it. I dont have every G7 on the world to test it so something unexpected can happen. Still if something is not clear ask here for help.
  • Stock roms should work on almost every model (G710TM (Anything related to T-Mobile) models are not supported)
    Note: for models from ATT, Cricket, Sprint, BoostMobile, VirginMobile, AIO and Tracfone wont be able to go back to their stock firmware because ther is no KDZ or Dump available. Note2: It's not recommended to flash ANY Stock rom to G710V. You may not be able to complete the startup setup.
  • Some features may or may not work:
    • VoLTE/VoWIFI
    • Loss of Serial Number
    • Widevine will downgrade to L3 (No Netflix HD)
    • SafetyNet Issues

Join our Telegram Group here:
>> {Mod edit! Oswald Boelcke, Senior Moderator} <<

Let's Begin

Step 0:Make sure that you have read everything that was written above. Also please uninstall any previous version of LGUP if presented.
BACKUP BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!!!

Step 1:Everything that you need:

Step 2:After downloading everything install:
  • The USB Drivers (LGMobileDriver_WHQL_Ver_4.2.0.exe)
  • Then LGUP (LGUP_Dev_Frame_Ver_1_15_0_6.msi)

• Step 3:Turn off your phone and then:
    • Hold volume up
    • Plug your USB Cable to your phone while holding volume up (The usb must be connected to your pc)!
  • Now the phone should look like this.
    Step 4:Open the device manager
    • There will be a tab with the name "Ports"
    • Open it and it shoud look lime this.

• G938uoa.png

Note:If you dont see it or there is a problem with is. please try reinstalling the drivers from before.
    • At the end it should say COMX.
    • Remember that number. We will need it in the next step.

• Step 5:Time to install pie!
    • Go to
      Code:
      C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP
    • Extract the "common" folder from LGUP dll (LGUP_Common.zip) inside the folder "model".
    • Then go back to C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP (if you're not already there)
    • Hold the shift key and right click on a free space.
    • Choose to open a command prompt.
  • Note:If you're on windows 10 it will be called a PowerShell. After oppening it type cmd and hit enter.
    • After that type
      Code:
      lgup_cmd.exe com[B]X[/B] "C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\LGUP_Common.dll" [KDZ Loctation]
    • X = Your number from step 4 (e.g. com3)
    • [KDZ Location] = Your full path to your KDZ File (G710_Something_something.kdz)

After that the phone should start being flashed and after a bit it should boot into your new Stock Rom

Feel free to ask questions!
Credit and a lot of thanks to:
  • @Sellerie_ for his amazing help with TWRP and custom system overlay for the G7
  • @J0SH1X for getting AOSP to work on oreo and pie firmware and also his awesome work on TWRP

Last edited by a moderator:

oliake

Mar 16, 2017
Works great with the lastes apk from Arnova

Cool, thanks! :) Another question, i'm trying to flash korean version of pie but when I try to flash it, It looks like this. And yes I chose the right port which is 4 in my case but it still says ''COM0''
Do you know how to fix this? Thanks!

Selected Port : COM0
SW Version :
Model Name :
Can't get device SW version
Download Error

Cool, thanks! :) Another question, i'm trying to flash korean version of pie but when I try to flash it, It looks like this. And yes I chose the right port which is 4 in my case but it still says ''COM0''
Do you know how to fix this? Thanks!

Selected Port : COM0
SW Version :
Model Name :
Can't get device SW version
Download Error
It seems that you didnt extract the zip correctly.

tweteks

Oct 6, 2012
Guys I got error "[SW PATH] is null"

after lgup_cmd.exe com5 (in my case) C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\LGUP_Common.dll C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\G710N20c_00_LGU_KR_OP_0107.kdz

Guys I got error "[SW PATH] is null"

after lgup_cmd.exe com5 (in my case) C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\LGUP_Common.dll C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\G710N20c_00_LGU_KR_OP_0107.kdz

By kdz location i mean where you downloaded your kdz.
Also i forgot to add quotes for the path so i guess thank you for showing it to me
In your case the command should be:
Code:
 lgup_cmd.exe com5 "C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\LGUP_Common.dll" [KDZ Path like your download folder or the place where you downloaded the kdz file]
For example
Code:
lgup_cmd.exe com5 "C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\LGUP_Common.dll" "D:\MyFiles\Desktop\LG G7 Files\G710NO20c_00_OPEN_KR_OP_0107.kdz"

oliake

Mar 16, 2017
It seems that you didnt extract the zip correctly.

Problem was with the DLL like you said, but it was that Powershell wouldn't find it so in the command where it says model\common\LGUP_Common.dll, I erased LGUP_Common.dll from the code and manually drag the DLL file from the folder and drop it into code instead, if you understand what I mean! So the code would look something like this instead lgup_cmd.exe comX "C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common"C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\LGUP_Common.dll" and that worked and now I have pie installed on my phone!

Thank you so much for the tutorial, it was so easy to follow! :D

tweteks

Oct 6, 2012
Next problem LameMonster82

C:\platform-tools>fastboot --set-active=a flash boot_a TWRP_RealPie.img
Sending 'boot_a' (65536 KB) OKAY [ 1.682s]
Writing 'boot_a' OKAY [ 0.360s]
Setting current slot to 'a' OKAY [ 0.016s]
Finished. Total time: 2.262s

C:\platform-tools>fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta_
a
unknown partition 'vbmeta_a'
fastboot: error: cannot determine image filename for 'vbmeta_a'

Next problem LameMonster82

C:\platform-tools>fastboot --set-active=a flash boot_a TWRP_RealPie.img
Sending 'boot_a' (65536 KB) OKAY [ 1.682s]
Writing 'boot_a' OKAY [ 0.360s]
Setting current slot to 'a' OKAY [ 0.016s]
Finished. Total time: 2.262s

C:\platform-tools>fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta_
a
unknown partition 'vbmeta_a'
fastboot: error: cannot determine image filename for 'vbmeta_a'

You forgot to put vbmeta_a.img full path at the end
Example:
Code:
fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta_a[B] "D:\MyFiles\Desktop\LG G7 Files\vbmeta_a.img"[/B]

Reactions: tweteks

tweteks

Oct 6, 2012
Guys I got same bug on HavocOS, Resurrection Remix n Pixel Dust - led notificator always blinking (light blue color) :(
Any ideas to solve the problem?
Anybody else got same?

Options to disable LED inside ROMs isnt working.
Start blinking with ROM's logo show up.

Last edited:
Guys I got same bug on HavocOS, Resurrection Remix n Pixel Dust - led notificator always blinking (light blue color) :(
Any ideas to solve the problem?
Anybody else got same?

Options to disable LED inside ROMs isnt working.
Start blinking with ROM's logo show up.
As I said it's a bug in AOSP that is ultra hard to fix. You just have to deal with it

MP39

Nov 12, 2018
Can i flash pie on my branded g7?
(Sorry for the silly question, but i've never flashed a phone ?)

Inerent

Oct 6, 2017
Bucharest

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

You can try reading the thread but yeah it does

1. I have read the thread, but I'm a little suspicious. I just don't want to break my imei, partitions or important things.
2. Is your method different than flashing a firmware with lgup, or the power shell command does something else than normal flashing with lgup?
Thx for your tutorial.
P. S. I want to go for the stock Korean firmware but as I said I am afraid of breaking things like repartitioning the storage, loosing imei and efs folder, serial numbers, drm keys etc. I'm also on dualism, will that work?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    photo_2019-08-19_19-36-05.jpg

This is a guide on how to install Stock Rom or Crossflash on any LG G7 ThinQ
    (Except for G710TM and G710V)

Please read everything written down and on the second post before asking questions!

Before we do anything i have to explain some stuff:
    • I am not responsible for any damages that may occur during the installation or after it. I dont have every G7 on the world to test it so something unexpected can happen. Still if something is not clear ask here for help.
    • Stock roms should work on almost every model (G710TM (Anything related to T-Mobile) models are not supported)
      Note: for models from ATT, Cricket, Sprint, BoostMobile, VirginMobile, AIO and Tracfone wont be able to go back to their stock firmware because ther is no KDZ or Dump available. Note2: It's not recommended to flash ANY Stock rom to G710V. You may not be able to complete the startup setup.
    • Some features may or may not work:
      • VoLTE/VoWIFI
      • Loss of Serial Number
      • Widevine will downgrade to L3 (No Netflix HD)
      • SafetyNet Issues

Join our Telegram Group here:
    >> {Mod edit! Oswald Boelcke, Senior Moderator} <<

Let's Begin

Step 0:Make sure that you have read everything that was written above. Also please uninstall any previous version of LGUP if presented.
    BACKUP BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!!!

Step 1:Everything that you need:

Step 2:After downloading everything install:
    • The USB Drivers (LGMobileDriver_WHQL_Ver_4.2.0.exe)
    • Then LGUP (LGUP_Dev_Frame_Ver_1_15_0_6.msi)

• Step 3:Turn off your phone and then:
      • Hold volume up
      • Plug your USB Cable to your phone while holding volume up (The usb must be connected to your pc)!
    • Now the phone should look like this.
      Step 4:Open the device manager
      • There will be a tab with the name "Ports"
      • Open it and it shoud look lime this.

• G938uoa.png

Note:If you dont see it or there is a problem with is. please try reinstalling the drivers from before.
      • At the end it should say COMX.
      • Remember that number. We will need it in the next step.

• Step 5:Time to install pie!
      • Go to
        Code:
        C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP
      • Extract the "common" folder from LGUP dll (LGUP_Common.zip) inside the folder "model".
      • Then go back to C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP (if you're not already there)
      • Hold the shift key and right click on a free space.
      • Choose to open a command prompt.
    • Note:If you're on windows 10 it will be called a PowerShell. After oppening it type cmd and hit enter.
      • After that type
        Code:
        lgup_cmd.exe com[B]X[/B] "C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\LGUP_Common.dll" [KDZ Loctation]
      • X = Your number from step 4 (e.g. com3)
      • [KDZ Location] = Your full path to your KDZ File (G710_Something_something.kdz)

After that the phone should start being flashed and after a bit it should boot into your new Stock Rom

Feel free to ask questions!
    Credit and a lot of thanks to:
    • @Sellerie_ for his amazing help with TWRP and custom system overlay for the G7
    • @J0SH1X for getting AOSP to work on oreo and pie firmware and also his awesome work on TWRP
    Nothing to see here​
    Nice work!! How is camera working on AOSP? Wide angle working?

Works great with the lastes apk from Arnova
    There is another new version of korean pie kdz file to download? Im now on the 20f version. Thank you in advance for the answer.
    Technically yeah but I don't have it right now uploaded

Edit: also "soon" there will be European pie kdz (kernel source is up) so I will be replacing Korean one with an European one
    (Okay, I managed to learn some things since I posted. So I'm going to update this post for others as well.) Answers to my own questions in bold, please correct me if wrong.

I'm another who purchased a LG G7 on ebay, turns out it's a 710PM flashed to 710ULM. I've been learning about all this stuff over the last few days, not familiar with it before. I've thought about returning the phone, or keeping it but flashing to newer android, pie most likely.

There's few things I don't understand yet about the process, and would really appreciate some of you knowledgeable folks passing on what you know. It's probably been addressed before, and I've been reading other threads on this site and others, but sometimes you have to have someone answer a question you've directly asked for the answer to make sense.

I've read that (as long as it's not a Tmobile G7) you can crossflash to any .kdz. How do the regions fit into that? Like the USA/EU/GFI/BPS/BPT? Also, it's not necessary to have the bootloader unlocked for crossflash? Not sure if that's the case on my device, but it has been crossflashed already - obviously since it's a PM running ULM software. So, it seems it should be OK for crossflashing, regardless of whether the bootloader is locked. Is unlocked bootloader primarily for flashing another OS (lineage) or for rooting?
    Just DON'T flash a Tmobile G7 with non-Tmobile kdz and don't flash non-Tmobile G7 with Tmobile kdz. The regions may change cell signal and data signal if flashed for a different region than you use the phone in. Maybe something to do with blocking/accepting certain bands. USA is unlocked USA firmware. There is also unlocked EU firmware. GFI is Google Fi. BPS and BPT are a Brightpoint.

If I do go ahead and flash, this guide seems to be the most clear, straightforward guide I've found so far. Are the links up to date for the drivers and program? Or should I google search for the latest ones? Or are there version issues, where certain versions need to be used to flash certain releases of ROMs?
    Use the driver linked in the guide for flashing any kdz. (Maybe not for Tmobile G7, not sure on that. Basically, I've learned be super careful if you have a Tmo G7 and know exactly what you are doing). To use GUI interface use LGUP 1.14. Can only use CMD instructions (used in this guide) with LGUP 1.15 or 1.16. Using "Upgrade" option in GUI version of LGUP keeps your data, but might not work for crossflashing (not same firmware as device -- i.e. my case with a 710PM Sprint phone and 710ULM firmware. You can't keep your data if you use CMD to flash.

The guide is specifically for the European Pie? Should the rest of the files work and allow me to install the latest USA Pie version from lg-firmwares (G710ULM20f_00_NAO_US_OP_0218.kdz)? Or the Brightpoint version (G710ULM21f_00_NAO_US_OP_0219.kdz)? Sorry, can't post the actual links yet. And again, don't understand the difference between USA or BPT/BPS. Is there any reason to go for the EU version over the USA version or vice versa? I'm in USA, but could potentially use the phone overseas, with a local SIM (yah know, if we ever get on planes again) but as long as frequency bands are supported I don't see how one would be better than the other.

Last thing I'm wondering about is the "Play Protect Certification." That's when I realized something was wrong, when trying to install Netflix. Since the serial number no longer exists, that won't come back after flashing to other ROMs? I don't know whether it's the S/N, the ULM firmware running on a PM device and some IMEI disagreement, or the potentially unlocked bootloader that lost the device it's "Play Protect Certification." I really only use Netflix to chromecast, so having it on my phone isn't huge deal. I understand too, that it may be possible to install latest Netflix via an APK. So, not having Play Protect certification may not be an issue anyway, as long as I can get those apps working in another way. The Play store worked to install all the other apps I use, so it shouldn't be an issue to do that again with another crossflashed firmware? I don't use Google Pay, so that's not a concern either. Are there other issues with not having the Play Protect?
    Still don't know what causes devices to lose Play Protect Certification. May not just be the serial number. There are ways to get the serial number back, but may not be worth the risk doing, if it doesn't have a benefit. Netflix can be installed via an APK.

Sorry for the long post, I really appreciate any who read it and respond with info. Hopefully it's not too long and also helps anyone else who has the same questions. I really like the hardware that I got, for the price I got it and if there's a way to make it work in the way I expected then I am interested in that.

Thanks!