[STOCK FIRMWARE][WINDOWS][OUTDATED] How to upgrade and clean wipe from Stock Android 10 to Stock Android 11 without OTA [Retail USA Channel]

Search This thread

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
NOTICE : As of June 15, 2022 you no longer NEED this method as the OTA for Android 11 has been released. This is here for those who don't get the OTA or need an upgrade from a clean reset manually using only the RSA tool.

Credits to : morpheus092511 over on the Lenovo Forums for tricking the Moto Tool into installing the stock firmware, and Chepr29 from the Lenovo Forums for the fastboot method that doesn't require the tool.

In fastboot on your PC after your extract the Android 11 firmware and have your device in recovery mode enter the following commands (back up your data this will clean wipe it!) :

Code:
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
fastboot flash radio radio.img
fastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
fastboot flash dsp dspso.bin
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.4
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.5
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.6
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.7
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.8
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.9
fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.10
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase carrier
fastboot erase metadata
fastboot erase ddr
fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
fastboot reboot

1. BACK UP ANY IMPORTANT FILES OR INFORMATION! DON'T FORGET TO BACK UP YOUR TWO FACTOR AUTHENTICATION CODES AS WELL! This method can be done with other firmwares, but I have only tested a clean wipe upgrade from stock Android 10 to 11 RETUS on the Motorola One Ace 5G (Unlocked from Amazon) and can't comment on other firmwares.

2. Windows ONLY! DOWNLOAD THE RSA software from Motorola that allows you to recover, backup, or flash stock firmware to your device.

3. DOWNLOAD the retail Android 11 firmware for the Motorola One Ace 5G (Kiev) Retail USA / Unlocked from here :

4. Go to C:\ProgramData\RSA\Download\RomFiles and extract the .zip folder here. You may need 7Zip, or WinRAR to do so. I recommend 7Zip as it's open source and free without nag popups.

5. Connect your phone to the PC via USB-C and shut it off. Hold volume down, and power on at the same time until the recovery screen shows.

6. The RSA software will detect your proper "latest" firmware automatically in fastboot mode, allow it time to download and wait until it's done, give it some time after it hits 100.00% because the program will begin decompressing and unzipping the stock firmware, but it will NOT tell you this, keep that in mind!

7. Under the same directory in Step 4, you should now have two folders. One that says 10 and 11 with almost the same naming convention, delete ALL of the files in the folder that RSA downloaded (the 10 folder), and copy and paste all of the files from (the 11 folder), but LEAVE the name of the folder the same as what it was when RSA downloaded it, don't change the name or you'll either have to re-name it back, or re-download the firmware once more and let it extract.

8. Go back to the RSA program and hit the yellow "Rescue" button. Don't touch your phone and leave it alone! All data will be erased and it will begin flashing the firmware from Android 11 without a single issue. If you have PIN or password locked your phone previously, upon first boot up Android will ask you for your previous device PIN before you can begin setting up the device initially.

NOTE : This should preserve your warranty, mine expired a few months ago and I haven't been able to confirm this 100% because of this. (we waited a LONG time for this update!) Since the process does NOT require your bootloader to be unlocked or modified in anyway whatsoever, I do NOT see how you could possibly void the warranty. As of this writing, I have NEVER attempted to even unlock my bootloader for stability purposes, and because rooting isn't a concern to me on this device. In fact, to my knowledge you are NO LONGER able to unlock the bootloader on Android 11, so proceed with caution if this is something you require! There may be a 3-day wait of being connected to the Internet before you are allowed to use the OEM Unlock function, please keep that in mind if this is an issue.

Since it is stock firmware, there are no functionality issues to be concerned with. Calling, 5G, camera, Bluetooth, NFC and other basic sensors and extra functionality work 100% to my knowledge after testing most functions myself for the better duration of a day, even my Fossil Gen 6 Android Wear 2.0 (updating to 3.0 soon) watch is functioning flawlessly over WiFI and Bluetooth with the new update.

Last edited:

Moondroid

Feb 12, 2015
Please note this method is now outdated, as the OTA has been released for Android 11.

It does work though, for anybody needing (or just wanting) to recover from a blown system without having to wait for a Rescue download.

Also it's a bit irritating that 95-9 for RETUS never got uploaded to lolinet. And now since 11 is released, that's all you can get through RSA, because it INSISTS on upgrading the phone to the latest version.

(Edit/Add) I would just like to have 95-9 handy for emergency reflashing if ever needed, but now I can't get my hands on it anywhere . . . except on that "easy" website and I don't really trust it 100%.

NOTE: I just flashed an 11 upgrade (manually via fastboot) and there was only 0-9 sparsechunk files. No super.img_sparsechunk.10 to be found, either the file or in the servicefile.xml . . . ? This was specifically the KIEV_RETAIL_RZK31.Q3_45_16_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_R8_CFC.xml firmware . . .

Reactions: TheLastSidekick

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
It does work though, for anybody needing (or just wanting) to recover from a blown system without having to wait for a Rescue download.

Also it's a bit irritating that 95-9 for RETUS never got uploaded to lolinet. And now since 11 is released, that's all you can get through RSA, because it INSISTS on upgrading the phone to the latest version.

(Edit/Add) I would just like to have 95-9 handy for emergency reflashing if ever needed, but now I can't get my hands on it anywhere . . . except on that "easy" website and I don't really trust it 100%.

NOTE: I just flashed an 11 upgrade (manually via fastboot) and there was only 0-9 sparsechunk files. No super.img_sparsechunk.10 to be found, either the file or in the servicefile.xml . . . ? This was specifically the KIEV_RETAIL_RZK31.Q3_45_16_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_R8_CFC.xml firmware . . .
Yeah the whole thing is strange the way the way each firmware is slightly a different size between what is evidently the same Retail build.

Reactions: Moondroid

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
Actually, there's an easier method using RSA rescue.
You can grab boot.img for rooting.
I was using Rescue tool for this, may I please ask you how you were able to grab the boot.img? Thank you in advance!

Also, for those wondering if using the method above if OTAs will continue to update the answer is 100% YES confirmed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220628-010636.png
    Screenshot_20220628-010636.png
    189.1 KB · Views: 13

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTICE : As of June 15, 2022 you no longer NEED this method as the OTA for Android 11 has been released. This is here for those who don't get the OTA or need an upgrade from a clean reset manually using only the RSA tool.

Credits to : morpheus092511 over on the Lenovo Forums for tricking the Moto Tool into installing the stock firmware, and Chepr29 from the Lenovo Forums for the fastboot method that doesn't require the tool.

In fastboot on your PC after your extract the Android 11 firmware and have your device in recovery mode enter the following commands (back up your data this will clean wipe it!) :

Code:
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
    fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    fastboot flash radio radio.img
    fastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
    fastboot flash dsp dspso.bin
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
    fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.3
    fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.4
    fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.5
    fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.6
    fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.7
    fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.8
    fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.9
    fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.10
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase carrier
    fastboot erase metadata
    fastboot erase ddr
    fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
    fastboot reboot

1. BACK UP ANY IMPORTANT FILES OR INFORMATION! DON'T FORGET TO BACK UP YOUR TWO FACTOR AUTHENTICATION CODES AS WELL! This method can be done with other firmwares, but I have only tested a clean wipe upgrade from stock Android 10 to 11 RETUS on the Motorola One Ace 5G (Unlocked from Amazon) and can't comment on other firmwares.

2. Windows ONLY! DOWNLOAD THE RSA software from Motorola that allows you to recover, backup, or flash stock firmware to your device.

3. DOWNLOAD the retail Android 11 firmware for the Motorola One Ace 5G (Kiev) Retail USA / Unlocked from here :

4. Go to C:\ProgramData\RSA\Download\RomFiles and extract the .zip folder here. You may need 7Zip, or WinRAR to do so. I recommend 7Zip as it's open source and free without nag popups.

5. Connect your phone to the PC via USB-C and shut it off. Hold volume down, and power on at the same time until the recovery screen shows.

6. The RSA software will detect your proper "latest" firmware automatically in fastboot mode, allow it time to download and wait until it's done, give it some time after it hits 100.00% because the program will begin decompressing and unzipping the stock firmware, but it will NOT tell you this, keep that in mind!

7. Under the same directory in Step 4, you should now have two folders. One that says 10 and 11 with almost the same naming convention, delete ALL of the files in the folder that RSA downloaded (the 10 folder), and copy and paste all of the files from (the 11 folder), but LEAVE the name of the folder the same as what it was when RSA downloaded it, don't change the name or you'll either have to re-name it back, or re-download the firmware once more and let it extract.

8. Go back to the RSA program and hit the yellow "Rescue" button. Don't touch your phone and leave it alone! All data will be erased and it will begin flashing the firmware from Android 11 without a single issue. If you have PIN or password locked your phone previously, upon first boot up Android will ask you for your previous device PIN before you can begin setting up the device initially.

NOTE : This should preserve your warranty, mine expired a few months ago and I haven't been able to confirm this 100% because of this. (we waited a LONG time for this update!) Since the process does NOT require your bootloader to be unlocked or modified in anyway whatsoever, I do NOT see how you could possibly void the warranty. As of this writing, I have NEVER attempted to even unlock my bootloader for stability purposes, and because rooting isn't a concern to me on this device. In fact, to my knowledge you are NO LONGER able to unlock the bootloader on Android 11, so proceed with caution if this is something you require! There may be a 3-day wait of being connected to the Internet before you are allowed to use the OEM Unlock function, please keep that in mind if this is an issue.

Since it is stock firmware, there are no functionality issues to be concerned with. Calling, 5G, camera, Bluetooth, NFC and other basic sensors and extra functionality work 100% to my knowledge after testing most functions myself for the better duration of a day, even my Fossil Gen 6 Android Wear 2.0 (updating to 3.0 soon) watch is functioning flawlessly over WiFI and Bluetooth with the new update.
    Please note this method is now outdated, as the OTA has been released for Android 11.

Yeah the whole thing is strange the way the way each firmware is slightly a different size between what is evidently the same Retail build.
    Actually, there's an easier method using RSA rescue.
    You can grab boot.img for rooting.