Stock firmwares for Kindle Fire HDX (Thor-Apollo)

Search This thread

AlexZap

Feb 15, 2014
Waterbury
No business case for deploying a new branch of FireOS to a discontinued product line (3rd gen HDX).

I agree, and I know that the official word from Amazon is that we won't get it, but I didn't thin we would ever see an update from 4.5.5.1, and here we are.

I just wish they would be out with a new hdx. The new tablets just don't stack up. And I wish that since this is a discontinued device, they would release a n official bootloader unlock.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I agree, and I know that the official word from Amazon is that we won't get it, but I didn't thin we would ever see an update from 4.5.5.1, and here we are.

I just wish they would be out with a new hdx. The new tablets just don't stack up. And I wish that since this is a discontinued device, they would release a n official bootloader unlock.
4.5.5.2 patches vulnerability(s) that permitted device to be rooted. Root is not a good thing when you consider Amazon's business model. Fire devices exist solely to drive additional revenue from Amazon's retail properties (store, video, etc). A rooted device likely won't be used for that. How many people install the Play Store or a custom rom so they can buy more stuff from amazon.com?

I doubt we will see an HDX (high end tablet) equivalent anytime soon. Those devices generally don't attract the demographic that responds to Amazon's marketing machine. Also note the lone HDX survivor (4th gen Saturn) remains tightly locked down. If Amazon does refresh the tablet lineup this year the new offerings will likely be tough to mod.

Reactions: AlexZap

OiOlli

Jul 30, 2016
Is it possible to downgrade From 4.5.5.5.2 Tod 4.5.5.5.q? I miss Google cast

Last edited:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Is it possible to downgrade From 4.5.5.5.2 Tod 4.5.5.5.q? I miss Google cast
Not without root or a specially formatted downgrade image; neither are available at present.

A risky option is a rollback to 3.2.8 followed by a controlled upgrade to 4.5.2 or 4.5.5.1, both of which are rootable. Once rooted you can block OTA to prevent further unsolicited upgrades from Amazon.

Advise close guidance if you go this route. A small mistake can lead to an unrecoverable brick.

Reactions: OiOlli

draxie

Apr 20, 2014
New build of 4.5.5.2 for Apollo

Build 43 is out for Apollo.

Quite a few files differ, but it's unclear if this depends on some embedded date or version string, as opposed to differences that matter...

draxie

Apr 20, 2014
That's what I suspected...

Sorry I received it OTA, Silk reports the OS as Android 4.4.3, KFTHWI Build/HTU84M (this means nothing to me).

The update said it included 'general improvements and performance enhancements'.

Could you check the version and date under Settings / Device Options / System Updates?
Mine (which also has the same build ID 'KTU84M ', but 4.5.5.2) shows the following:

Your device is running Fire OS 4.5.5.2 Learn more
Build date Wednesday, July 20, 2016 23:33 GMT+02:00

If you know your way around 'adb', the output of the following commands would be even more helpful:
Code:
adb shell getprop ro.build.fingerprint
adb shell getprop ro.build.version.name

ukegste

Oct 13, 2017
Could you check the version and date under Settings / Device Options / System Updates?
Mine (which also has the same build ID 'KTU84M ', but 4.5.5.2) shows the following:

If you know your way around 'adb', the output of the following commands would be even more helpful:
Code:

Oh.. I could have sworn the Build ID was HTU84M earlier but it is KTU84M (which I believe is the same ID listed on the first post for the release of 4.5.5.2).

How did you get Settings > Device Options > System Updates to list the build date? Mine states 'Your device is running Fire OS 4.5.5.3 Learn More' 'Installed Friday, 13 October 2017 00:49 BST'

I've never used adb but should be able to get to grips with it but I'll have to read up and get back to you.

draxie

Apr 20, 2014
Hmm...

[...]
How did you get Settings > Device Options > System Updates to list the build date? Mine states 'Your device is running Fire OS 4.5.5.3 Learn More' 'Installed Friday, 13 October 2017 00:49 BST'

I didn't. That's what it shows by default on that version.
Perhaps, this difference is one of those 'enhancements'
you got delivered with 4.5.5.3.

I've never used adb but should be able to get to grips with it but I'll have to read up and get back to you.

That would be appreciated.

navmad

Jan 10, 2013
Seattle

Code:

Code:
% adb shell getprop ro.build.fingerprint
Amazon/thor/thor:4.4.3/KTU84M/13.4.5.5_user_455006120:user/release-keys

% adb shell getprop ro.build.version.name
Fire OS 4.5.5.3 (455006120)

Reactions: draxie

Top Liked Posts