Stock firmwares for Kindle Fire HDX (Thor-Apollo)

Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I thought that the OTA would brick the device? I have no interest in rooting this thing anymore, I want to go back to standard Fire OS with nothing else (like the gapps). If I allow OTA, will it go to 4.5.5 and remove everything that was installed? I'm a little confused. Sorry to annoy you with so many questions.
The 4.5.5 OTA should effectively yield the 'factory reset' you were seeking. Note there is always a small risk with OTAs even those performed on unaltered devices. Amazon offers a one time non-hassle exchange should something happen (assuming it is still under warranty).

Some OTAs can result in a bricked device; going from 4.5.2 to 4.5.5 should be safe.

Giraffackle

Sep 29, 2015
The 4.5.5 OTA should effectively yield the 'factory reset' you were seeking. Note there is always a small risk with OTAs even those performed on unaltered devices. Amazon offers a one time non-hassle exchange should something happen (assuming it is still under warranty).

Some OTAs can result in a bricked device; going from 4.5.2 to 4.5.5 should be safe.

I'm still really confused, if you could answer these questions to clear things up that would be awesome.
I previously had a problem with the hdx 7 a couple years back and went through three broken refurbished ones until they gave me a full refund. I then got the one I have now, and the warranty has run out, so any brick will basically screw me. This was a gift and i really don't want to screw it up, that's why I'm asking so many questions :)
1. Is it possible to have a straight up answer, is it possible to revert this back to how it would be if it was brand new?
2. Is it possible to look at the download of the gapps, and remove everything that's there from the kindle, revert it to 3.2.8 or some other version, and then ota it to 4.5.5 and it would be good as new?

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

I found this video and a recovery is included in the description, would it work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYwn9xWpDNw

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I'm still really confused, if you could answer these questions to clear things up that would be awesome.
I previously had a problem with the hdx 7 a couple years back and went through three broken refurbished ones until they gave me a full refund. I then got the one I have now, and the warranty has run out, so any brick will basically screw me. This was a gift and i really don't want to screw it up, that's why I'm asking so many questions :)
1. Is it possible to have a straight up answer, is it possible to revert this back to how it would be if it was brand new?
2. Is it possible to look at the download of the gapps, and remove everything that's there from the kindle, revert it to 3.2.8 or some other version, and then ota it to 4.5.5 and it would be good as new?
Sorry for your situation. I am not screwing with you. If there was a 'straight up', 100% guaranteed, absolutely foolproof way to accomplish what you are seeking I would have offered it in the first response. Kindles are finicky devices. While the steps I have suggested should be safe there are no assurances.

I have already responded to your first question with several options. Regarding the second, an OTA from 4.5.2 to 4.5.5 should (no guarantees) remove root and all traces of gapps.

I understand you are frustrated. This is not the Genius Bar where well heeled employees will tell you "it's ok" when it's not. Take a breath, think about your choices, appreciate you have a working device (except for the Play Store), not a brick. You also have choices that can improve your situation with an outcome far better than the one you were aiming at.

Best I can do. Other responses welcome. Maybe there is a better answer we both can learn from.

Reactions: Giraffackle

Giraffackle

Sep 29, 2015
Sorry for your situation. I am not screwing with you. If there was a 'straight up', 100% guaranteed, absolutely foolproof way to accomplish what you are seeking I would have offered it in the first response. Kindles are finicky devices. While the steps I have suggested should be safe there are no assurances.

I have already responded to your first question with several options. Regarding the second, an OTA from 4.5.2 to 4.5.5 should (no guarantees) remove root and all traces of gapps.

I understand you are frustrated. This is not the Genius Bar where well heeled employees will tell you "it's ok" when it's not. Take a breath, think about your choices, appreciate you have a working device (except for the Play Store), not a brick. You also have choices that can improve your situation with an outcome far better than the one you were aiming at.

Best I can do. Other responses welcome. Maybe there is a better answer we both can learn from.

I want to thank you first of all for staying with me this whole time :D I think I'll do the OTA update, it's just that the thing holding me back is that the first thing stated in this post is to disable OTA immediately or else it will brick the device: http://forum.xda-developers.com/kin...lback-13-3-2-8-rollback-ota-captured-t3046204
I really want to do it though. Do you know what the normal name of the ota file is? I renamed it so it wouldn't do an update but I don't remember the original one.

Reactions: DB126

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I want to thank you first of all for staying with me this whole time :D I think I'll do the OTA update, it's just that the thing holding me back is that the first thing stated in this post is to disable OTA immediately or else it will brick the device: http://forum.xda-developers.com/kin...lback-13-3-2-8-rollback-ota-captured-t3046204
I really want to do it though. Do you know what the normal name of the ota file is? I renamed it so it wouldn't do an update but I don't remember the original one.
That post (with accurate guidance) pertains to a 3.2.8 rollback. You are working through minor upgrade. See here (step #1) for name of OTA file.

I am going to brave a suggestion you may not appreciate: put your device down, grab a preferred beverage and returned to it tomorrow. Last thing you want to do is make a mistake prowling around system directories. Amazing how a little time and space clear the mind.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

You can remove gapps like every other system app using Titanium Backup, ES File Explorer, etc.
Yep-if executing a standard apk was all that was done and no system files were modified (often times not but maybe in this case).

Reactions: Giraffackle

Giraffackle

Sep 29, 2015
That post (with accurate guidance) pertains to a 3.2.8 rollback. You are working through minor upgrade. See here (step #1) for name of OTA file.

I am going to brave a suggestion you may not appreciate: put your device down, grab a preferred beverage and returned to it tomorrow. Last thing you want to do is make a mistake prowling around system directories. Amazing how a little time and space clear the mind.

That is a great suggestion :) I'll take a break, forget about it, and tomorrow hopefully my mind will be cleared like you said, and all will be good! Thanks for all of the help Davey, I really do appreciate it!

Frickenstein2013

Oct 27, 2015
3.2.8 Upgrade

Hi, I'm on a 3rd gen hdx 7 and downgraded from 4.5.5 to 3.2.8 with thor. Now I'm trying to update to 4.5.2 and continue towards a ROM. Unfortunately my kindle doesn't recognize the 4.5.2 file I transferred via tether. IS my file bad or should I use a method other than quick settings and update to upgrade?
Thanks

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi, I'm on a 3rd gen hdx 7 and downgraded from 4.5.5 to 3.2.8 with thor. Now I'm trying to update to 4.5.2 and continue towards a ROM. Unfortunately my kindle doesn't recognize the 4.5.2 file I transferred via tether. IS my file bad or should I use a method other than quick settings and update to upgrade?
Thanks
Assuming your device is in flight/airplane mode with wifi disabled. Also assuming you did not disable OTA via HDX toolkit. You can check the 4.5.2 bin file integrity by installing ES File Explorer via adb and verifying md5 (update-kindle-13.4.5.2_user_452004220.bin -> 5fdc986f362796a6c5a817b0e22e4bcd). Verify name and location ("internal storage"; root of sdcard) of 4.5.2 bin file then reboot device. Wait 10-15 min and check for update. Hopefully will find it. If not download the 4.5.2 file again and repeat previous steps. If still unrecognized try enabling WiFi radio while keeping airplane mode engaged. Important: do NOT allow your kindle to establish a wireless connection; an OTA from Amazon will irreversibly brick your device. Wait a few minutes to see if it recognizes the update file. If none of the above works you can attempt a factory reset from the Kindle recovery menu (accessed via power + vol-up from a cold start). Note this is a dangerous 'last resort' action as it has the potential to trigger startup problems, some which can be difficult/impossible to resolve. At minimum you should root 3.2.8 (via HDX Toolkit) and enable USB debug before attempting a factory reset.

Good luck.

Reactions: Frickenstein2013

Frickenstein2013

Oct 27, 2015
Assuming your device is in flight/airplane mode with wifi disabled. Also assuming you did not disable OTA via HDX toolkit. You can check the 4.5.2 bin file integrity by installing [ via adb and verifying md5 (update-kindle-13.4.5.2_user_452004220.bin -> 5fdc986f362796a6c5a817b0e22e4bcd). Verify name and location ("internal storage"; root of sdcard) of 4.5.2 bin file then reboot device. Wait 10-15 min and check for update. Hopefully will find it. If not download the 4.5.2 file again and repeat previous steps. If still unrecognized try enabling WiFi radio while keeping airplane mode engaged. Important: do NOT allow your kindle to establish a wireless connection; an OTA from Amazon will irreversibly brick your device. Wait a few minutes to see if it recognizes the update file. If none of the above works you can attempt a factory reset from the Kindle recovery menu (accessed via power + vol-up from a cold start). Note this is a dangerous 'last resort' action as it has the potential to trigger startup problems, some which can be difficult/impossible to resolve. At minimum you should root 3.2.8 (via HDX Toolkit) and enable USB debug before attempting a factory reset.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply! After 3 transfers the update finally registered. Weird. Successfully on 4.2.5 now, Thanks

Todobien

May 16, 2008
Hi,
i have a rooted kindle hdx apollo, with a custom rom installed, but apps work no correctly.
I will wont to install a kindle OS rom, but with root permission.
I have a twrp 3.0.0.1 inside

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi,
i have a rooted kindle hdx apollo, with a custom rom installed, but apps work no correctly.
I will wont to install a kindle OS rom, but with root permission.
I have a twrp 3.0.0.1 inside
The images in this thread can not be flashed (they also contain stock components you don't want - bootloader, recovery, etc). Use the ones from this thread. However, you will likely loose root and have to take additional steps to regain it:
- reenable OTA
- allow device to update from 4.5.5 -> 4.5.5.1
- root with Kingroot or KingOroot

Given your bootloader is unlocked you should consider flashing a different non-FireOS ROM (Nexus v4, CM11, CM12, CM13 (beta), SlimLP) which are easier to root and play nice with the Google services/store.

Reactions: Todobien

Todobien

May 16, 2008
The images in this thread can not be flashed (they also contain stock components you don't want - bootloader, recovery, etc). Use the ones from this thread. However, you will likely loose root and have to take additional steps to regain it:
- reenable OTA
- allow device to update from 4.5.5 -> 4.5.5.1
- root with Kingroot or KingOroot

Given your bootloader is unlocked you should consider flashing a different non-FireOS ROM (Nexus v4, CM11, CM12, CM13 (beta), SlimLP) which are easier to root and play nice with the Google services/store.

i have nexus v4 now, and unlocked bootloader, but apps crash continuosly, Skype, firefox.... :eek:

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
i have nexus v4 now, and unlocked bootloader, but apps crash continuosly, Skype, firefox.... :eek:
Reloading FireOS is not the answer.

I am running same ROM, same device config. Nothing crashes. Suggest you do a 'clean' install (full wipe) with the latest build located here. Also be sure bootloader has been updated to 3.2.3.2. This should have been part of the unlock procedure but may have been skipped.

You can also try a 'dirty' flash (no wipes) of your current (discontinued) Nexus ROM from here.

Reactions: Todobien

Todobien

May 16, 2008

I am running same ROM, same device config. Nothing crashes. Suggest you do a 'clean' install (full wipe) with the latest build located here. Also be sure bootloader has been updated to 3.2.3.2. This should have been part of the unlock procedure but may have been skipped.

You can also try a 'dirty' flash (no wipes) of your current (discontinued) Nexus ROM from here.
thank you so much, now work fine; i think it was old bootloader.
I speak a bit of English, and, sometime, i don't understand.
anywhy, now work perfectly

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 AM ----------

thank you so much, now work fine; i think it was old bootloader.
I speak a bit of English, and, sometime, i don't understand.
anywhy, now work perfectly

Reactions: DB126

Top Liked Posts