stock or aosp

Search This thread

suta

Oct 28, 2008
Hi I am coming from s4, can someone please tell me the down side of aosp/cm comparing to stock? Any degradation of battery life, camera quality and voice call quality? And the benefi

_delice_doluca_

Apr 26, 2011
istanbul
I don't know if it is a i9500 or 9505 but first you have to forget everything you know from the Samsung world. Because every hunch of something is missing or needs workarounds to work on AOSP is not present here on Sony world. I am coming from S3 and Note 2 (there is a short Nexus 4 time between Sonys and Samsungs but it was just pure heaven so let's not talk about it:))

So basically: When you go to AOSP (or CM more precisely) Sound, Screen and Camera options are reduced compared to Sony ROMs. For example, Sony ROM has some sound and visual enhancements for better music and picture quality. I use the sound enhancement all the time as it's really giving better results on especially downloaded mp3s but never needed to use XReality for picture adjusting as I prefer my pictures to "be" better instead of being "seen" better only on one screen.

What are the solutions CM is offering for above? For Xreality, there is nothing to do but only turning on Google photos backup account and let Google enhance your photos (which is a better result IMO as the quality difference is permanent on any other screen too). For sound quality, have I mentioned that this phone is already beating almost every other rival on the market when it comes to the music? Still, If you desire more there is always PowerAmp on the market and CM offers an equaliser for tuning the audio.

Let's talk about camera; you have to unlock bootloader in order to install CM or any other custom ROM. That means you have lose some specific software tuning on the camera especially for low light picturing (please remember to back them up "BEFORE" you unlock the bootloader). So basically you are left with pure Sony camera driver without Sony's patented extra technologies. This is what any unlocked bootloader-ed Sony phone has regardless of its ROM.

But CM's camera app has no options like Sony's? There are many camera alternatives on the market, my preference is on Open Camera but you want to pay Camera FX-5 will also give DSLR like control over your camera.

Any difference so far? Not that I can tell if there is enough light. I spend one week with stock Sony (on locked bootloader with camera enhancements), another with CM so far and collect all my photos on my computer and look them on the big screen (LG plasma 42" TV) and the only difference so far is on the front camera photos. Front camera is unfortunately worse on AOSP ROMs. Rear camera's difference is only and slightly visible on very dark environments but still way better than my Samsung Note 2's best camera results :)

Other differences? Well, CM used to have this 3 second call sound delay on phone calls and the speaker was not working on phone calls again. For the past week they were fixed and it's perfect as a daily driver. Actually I am getting better battery life on manual screen brightness and every other thing is on ( I believe Facebook for Xperia and Twitter for Xperia add-ons are eating my battery life on Stock Sony ROMs).

Reactions: Jon Osterman

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know if it is a i9500 or 9505 but first you have to forget everything you know from the Samsung world. Because every hunch of something is missing or needs workarounds to work on AOSP is not present here on Sony world. I am coming from S3 and Note 2 (there is a short Nexus 4 time between Sonys and Samsungs but it was just pure heaven so let's not talk about it:))

So basically: When you go to AOSP (or CM more precisely) Sound, Screen and Camera options are reduced compared to Sony ROMs. For example, Sony ROM has some sound and visual enhancements for better music and picture quality. I use the sound enhancement all the time as it's really giving better results on especially downloaded mp3s but never needed to use XReality for picture adjusting as I prefer my pictures to "be" better instead of being "seen" better only on one screen.

What are the solutions CM is offering for above? For Xreality, there is nothing to do but only turning on Google photos backup account and let Google enhance your photos (which is a better result IMO as the quality difference is permanent on any other screen too). For sound quality, have I mentioned that this phone is already beating almost every other rival on the market when it comes to the music? Still, If you desire more there is always PowerAmp on the market and CM offers an equaliser for tuning the audio.

Let's talk about camera; you have to unlock bootloader in order to install CM or any other custom ROM. That means you have lose some specific software tuning on the camera especially for low light picturing (please remember to back them up "BEFORE" you unlock the bootloader). So basically you are left with pure Sony camera driver without Sony's patented extra technologies. This is what any unlocked bootloader-ed Sony phone has regardless of its ROM.

But CM's camera app has no options like Sony's? There are many camera alternatives on the market, my preference is on Open Camera but you want to pay Camera FX-5 will also give DSLR like control over your camera.

Any difference so far? Not that I can tell if there is enough light. I spend one week with stock Sony (on locked bootloader with camera enhancements), another with CM so far and collect all my photos on my computer and look them on the big screen (LG plasma 42" TV) and the only difference so far is on the front camera photos. Front camera is unfortunately worse on AOSP ROMs. Rear camera's difference is only and slightly visible on very dark environments but still way better than my Samsung Note 2's best camera results :)

Other differences? Well, CM used to have this 3 second call sound delay on phone calls and the speaker was not working on phone calls again. For the past week they were fixed and it's perfect as a daily driver. Actually I am getting better battery life on manual screen brightness and every other thing is on ( I believe Facebook for Xperia and Twitter for Xperia add-ons are eating my battery life on Stock Sony ROMs).