• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide [Stock ROM] How to root the Snapdragon Moto E 2020

Search This thread

alexenferman

Dec 7, 2019
Alexenferman is not responsible for any damages or bricks made to your device. Please do some research if you have any concerns about rooting, its features and downsides. You are choosing to make these modifications, you should blame yourself for any mistakes you make.
Rooting may require a factory reset, please backup your data. Rooting will void your device warrany. By rooting your device, you will not be able to install OTA updates on your phone.
US carrier specific devices such as Verizon and Sprint might not be bootloader unlockable, therefore, not rootable.[/B]

You will need:

• Platform Tools (Download from here)
  • Motorola Drivers
  • Windows or Linux PC
  • Bootloader Unlocked Moto E 2020

Your phone must be bootloader unlocked. Rooting your phone and not unlocking the bootloader will result in a soft brick.

Download the latest Magisk Manager APK from Github: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/manager-v8.0.0/MagiskManager-v8.0.0.apk
Install the APK file. Make sure to enable "Unknown Sources" in the Settings app

Patching the boot image

To retrieve the boot image in order to patch it, you will need to download the stock ROM for your specific variant.
Download the ROM from your variant from here: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/ginna/official/
To check which region is your device, go to Settings > About Phone > Software Channel.

After downloading, open the ROM zip file with an archive manager.
Extract the boot.img file only.
Transfer the boot.img file on your phone.

On your phone, open the Magisk app.
Select "Install" > "Install" > "Select and Patch a File"
Locate the boot image in the internal storage on your phone. Select the boot.img file.

Transfer the magisk_patched.img file on your computer.

Rooting the device

Boot the device into fastboot mode by holding the [Volume Down] and [Power] buttons.

Connect your phone to your PC.
On your PC, open a fastboot console window.
Type:

Code:
        fastboot devices

Your phone serial number should be displayed along with the word "fastboot" or "device" in the console.
Now, type the following commands:

Code:
        fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img
        fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img

Replace patched_boot.img with the path to your boot image we patched previously.
To reboot the device, type:

Code:
        fastboot reboot

Once the device rebooted, open the Magisk app.
If you see the "Magisk is installed" message, you have successfully rooted your device!
:cool: You are done!

To view instructions with images, follow these instructions: https://www.alexenferman.com/articles/MotoE2020/root-moto-e-2020-magisk

Reactions: professor13

Hypercore

Apr 16, 2009
Vancouver
I can confirm this works, I was about to give up on root or TWRP until I saw this. I'm now rooted, but I still can't find a download link for the latest TWRP for the Ginna model.

Hypercore

Apr 16, 2009
Vancouver
I eventually found it after a ton of digging. I've uploaded it to my drive to assure the link stays active for anyone else who may need it.

For peace of mind, here's the VirusTotal scan HERE.

And here is the link to twrp-3.4.0-10_0-ginna HERE.

Reactions: Magnetox

TheTechDude48

Jun 20, 2021
Before I brick my phone. Can anyone confirm if the Tracphone version XT2052DL is rootable?

I'd like to know, too. Can we root our Tracfone XT2025DLs? Anyone successful?

I have one too and I've tried to unlock the bootloader however Motorola's website says the bootloader for this phone is not unlockable. It seems like this is what's preventing me from being able to install a different firmware like the stock one or root the device.

I do not know if there is any sort of workaround for this

uvx

Sep 19, 2021
For some reason on a Moto E, after rescuing using the Moto rescue assistant and then using

Last edited:

bouyakasha

Jan 23, 2008
Thank you. I used this guide to root my Moto E :)

QPGS30.82-135-2_Root.img

Last edited:

bouyakasha

Jan 23, 2008
This method works well for QPGS30.82-135-2, but I just attempted it with QPGS30.82-135-9 and unfortunately the Magisk patched boot image will not work. I tried it 3 times, re-patching boot image each time. I suppose Motorola updated something in android to block this?

frozencoffee

Mar 2, 2018
i can't get this to work at all, i cannot find a matching stock firmware being qpg30.82-135, there's no extra S and nothing else after the 135, got this phone from my motorola insiders rewards and now it's bootlooping after trying the 135-2 patched image

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alexenferman is not responsible for any damages or bricks made to your device. Please do some research if you have any concerns about rooting, its features and downsides. You are choosing to make these modifications, you should blame yourself for any mistakes you make.
    Rooting may require a factory reset, please backup your data. Rooting will void your device warrany. By rooting your device, you will not be able to install OTA updates on your phone.
    US carrier specific devices such as Verizon and Sprint might not be bootloader unlockable, therefore, not rootable.[/B]

You will need:

• Platform Tools (Download from here)
    • Motorola Drivers
    • Windows or Linux PC
    • Bootloader Unlocked Moto E 2020

Your phone must be bootloader unlocked. Rooting your phone and not unlocking the bootloader will result in a soft brick.

Download the latest Magisk Manager APK from Github: https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/download/manager-v8.0.0/MagiskManager-v8.0.0.apk
    Install the APK file. Make sure to enable "Unknown Sources" in the Settings app

Patching the boot image

To retrieve the boot image in order to patch it, you will need to download the stock ROM for your specific variant.
    Download the ROM from your variant from here: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/ginna/official/
    To check which region is your device, go to Settings > About Phone > Software Channel.

After downloading, open the ROM zip file with an archive manager.
    Extract the boot.img file only.
    Transfer the boot.img file on your phone.

On your phone, open the Magisk app.
    Select "Install" > "Install" > "Select and Patch a File"
    Locate the boot image in the internal storage on your phone. Select the boot.img file.

Transfer the magisk_patched.img file on your computer.

Rooting the device

Boot the device into fastboot mode by holding the [Volume Down] and [Power] buttons.

Connect your phone to your PC.
    On your PC, open a fastboot console window.
    Type:

Code:
            fastboot devices

Your phone serial number should be displayed along with the word "fastboot" or "device" in the console.
    Now, type the following commands:

Code:
            fastboot flash boot_a patched_boot.img
            fastboot flash boot_b patched_boot.img

Replace patched_boot.img with the path to your boot image we patched previously.
    To reboot the device, type:

Code:
            fastboot reboot

Once the device rebooted, open the Magisk app.
    If you see the "Magisk is installed" message, you have successfully rooted your device!
    :cool: You are done!

To view instructions with images, follow these instructions: https://www.alexenferman.com/articles/MotoE2020/root-moto-e-2020-magisk
    I eventually found it after a ton of digging. I've uploaded it to my drive to assure the link stays active for anyone else who may need it.

For peace of mind, here's the VirusTotal scan HERE.

And here is the link to twrp-3.4.0-10_0-ginna HERE.
    Before I brick my phone. Can anyone confirm if the Tracphone version XT2052DL is rootable?