• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Stock][ROM][Nexus 5][Hammerhead][6.0.1] Flashable ZIP for Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow

Search This thread

stephanmc

Aug 15, 2013
Paris
stephanekouadio.blogspot.com
androidm_logo.jpg

Well, I decided to make a working flashable ZIP of Android 6.0 Marshmallow for our lovely Nexus 5 ! It's working pretty well on TWRP, and allows to be rooted !

[About this build]
- Contains all stock (kernel, system, ... )
- Requires bootloader minimum HHZ12h, and Radio M8974A-2.0.50.2.26 (if you come from Lollipop, it's just fine)
- Google released new bootloaders and radio, but the above one works fine too.

[Note before installation]
- I suggest you to backup your app data with Titanium Backup if you want to restore your apps later
- It is not needed to backup your full internal storage. With this installation process, you will not lose anything

[Downloads]
* Marshmallow 6.0.1 (MMB29K)
Older releases:
- Marshmallow 6.0.0 (Build MRA58N) - Released on November 02
- Marshmallow 6.0.0 (Build MRA58K) - Released on October 06
- M Preview 3 (Build MPA44I - Released on 08/19)
- M Preview 3 (Build MPA44G - Released on 08/17)
- M Preview 2
- Latest Bootloader & Radio (By @dekefake. Notice that they are not obligatory for M Preview 3)

[How to Install]
- Boot in recovery (TWRP)
- Wipe only Data, System, Cache, Dalvik-cache (do not wipe INTERNAL DATA, unless it is what you want)
- Install the ROM
- Reboot. If TWRP prompt you to install SuperSu, deny it.

"But hey! I want Root !!"
So you want root on your Nexus 5 ;) ! Great. This is how to do :
- Make sure your phone is first booted properly with above installation process, without installing any zip more
- Download a custom kernel that allows root, because root doesn't work anymore on stock kernel since M (checkout next paragraph for kernel list)
- Download SuperSU Beta
- Flash them (Kernel, then Super Su)
- Reboot
- Enjoy, you're now rooted !

"Ok Stock Kernel can't have root, then what custom kernel should I use to enable root ?"
- Well, I just made a Google Stock + root-possible kernel. No more adds or tweaks, just stock + root allowed. I called it StephanMc Kernel, available here (for Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow).
- StephanMc Kernel for 6.0.1 - Build 20151216
Older releases:
- StephanMc Kernel for 6.0.0
- StephanMc Kernel for Android M Preview

- As alternative, you can download :
* Despair KERNEL
* ElemantalX
* HellsCore
*(let me know others, I will add it here! )
- Once downloaded kernel, read instruction above to root

[Some recommandations]
- Enable Developer Options: Settings -> About -> tap 7 times on Build number
- Enable USB Debbuging
- Enable Offline APK installations: Security -> Unkown sources

[About Titanium Backup (read this to fix it)]
Problem 1) TB doesn't shows my previous backup
It tries to find backup files into /storage/emulated/legacy/TitaniumBackup, while they are located here: /storage/emulated/0/TitaniumBackup (in my case, which is default place). In older Android releases, legacy was a symlink to 0/, so there was no problem at all. This changed on M Preview 2, so we have to make this change in TB.
- Open Titanium Backup
- MENU -> Preferences -> Backup Folder
- Hit "Back" button to go in parent folder. Navigate to /sdcard (not /storage), then TitaniumBackup, then USE this folder
- Congrats, TB is fixed !!

[Where is System Ui Tuner ?]
- Expand the Notification bar until you see the Settings icon (on top right corner)
- Hold on the icon for about 5 seconds
- Congrats! You can find System UI Tuner menu into Settings -> just under "About phone" menu

[About Snapchat ? ]
- Snapchat crashes at login with Marshmallow. You can workaround this by downgrading to v9.9.0 (google it), then log in the app. Once done, you're free to update it as usual if you want.

[Screenshots]
- See attachments

[Wants to remove Root and re-use stock kernel ?]
This is how to do:
- Just reflash ROM in TWRP (no wipe required)

If you find this useful, feel free to hit thanks button, or share it with people you love :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20150714-174739.jpg
    Screenshot_20150714-174739.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 40,304
  • Screenshot_20150714-173716.jpg
    Screenshot_20150714-173716.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 39,484
  • Screenshot_20150714-173648.png
    Screenshot_20150714-173648.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 39,952
  • Screenshot_20150714-174431.jpg
    Screenshot_20150714-174431.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 38,796
Last edited:

tiraceite

Feb 22, 2012
Downloading... no feedback yet? :confused:

hello.. i've installed right now... feedback will be on a few hours with use... let me see if my experiment will be OK!
first boot late too much (almost 10 min) but when start!!! i can see a few changes on UI... Launcher is not OK!!! for me.... its uggly and remember me when LG had that scroll to bottom!!!
i will root it and let you know!!! :)

Regards!!!

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
Installed with no issues (on the install). Flashed Despair and SU, also no problem. Decided I don't see anything in M that's any better than LP, especially it's much worse than Chroma. I use Parcel BU & Restore, it doesn't restore data. Get error "2015/07/14 - 17:10:31: cp: can't stat '/mnt/shell/emulated/0/parcel_backups" I think the mnt/shell/ isn't supposed to be in the path, but no way to change it. I restored my Chroma BU, much happier now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BaumerS4

Oct 18, 2012
how is battery life? I installed preview 2 and my phone drains battery like we drain the earth

I think on the first preview, the ROM defaults to the highest performance governor, so it's running highest speeds at all times. Had to install a custom kernel and select something a little more conservative to get 3-4 hours of SOT again.

Reactions: stephanmc

stephanmc

Aug 15, 2013
Paris
stephanekouadio.blogspot.com
You mentioned 480p video working but 1080p not working in the other thread. Any update?

Here some updates:
* Camera works pretty well (480/1080p) on stock kernel. Despair Kernel couldn't play 1080p records, but only 480p
* Latest version of Snapchat (9.12) will crash just after you enter your login infos. This issue is not related to the kernel you use, they just have to make it work with M Preview 2.
* Downgrading Snapchat to 9.9.0 worked for me

Last edited:

tiraceite

Feb 22, 2012
Installed without issues... some apps are working with a little lag... animations UI are great.. when you receive notifications... i've not installed Despair Kernel yet but i will.
New features in nav bar, like "dont distubr" (no molestar in spanish)....
Someone have installed Root and verify if greenify and Amplify have some issues??

:)

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

how is battery life? I installed preview 2 and my phone drains battery like we drain the earth

was clean or dirty installation? i did a clean installation and now my battery life is more and less... let me check what happens if installed despair kernel and root... i didn't installed preview 1 because have some issues with functionallity.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

You mentioned 480p video working but 1080p not working in the other thread. Any update?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

video 1080 working fine for me.. no issues with record more than 1 min. Stock Kernel. Or issues is for playing 1080p video??

Regards!!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    androidm_logo.jpg

Well, I decided to make a working flashable ZIP of Android 6.0 Marshmallow for our lovely Nexus 5 ! It's working pretty well on TWRP, and allows to be rooted !

[About this build]
    - Contains all stock (kernel, system, ... )
    - Requires bootloader minimum HHZ12h, and Radio M8974A-2.0.50.2.26 (if you come from Lollipop, it's just fine)
    - Google released new bootloaders and radio, but the above one works fine too.

[Note before installation]
    - I suggest you to backup your app data with Titanium Backup if you want to restore your apps later
    - It is not needed to backup your full internal storage. With this installation process, you will not lose anything

[Downloads]
    * Marshmallow 6.0.1 (MMB29K)
    Older releases:
    - Marshmallow 6.0.0 (Build MRA58N) - Released on November 02
    - Marshmallow 6.0.0 (Build MRA58K) - Released on October 06
    - M Preview 3 (Build MPA44I - Released on 08/19)
    - M Preview 3 (Build MPA44G - Released on 08/17)
    - M Preview 2
    - Latest Bootloader & Radio (By @dekefake. Notice that they are not obligatory for M Preview 3)

[How to Install]
    - Boot in recovery (TWRP)
    - Wipe only Data, System, Cache, Dalvik-cache (do not wipe INTERNAL DATA, unless it is what you want)
    - Install the ROM
    - Reboot. If TWRP prompt you to install SuperSu, deny it.

"But hey! I want Root !!"
    So you want root on your Nexus 5 ;) ! Great. This is how to do :
    - Make sure your phone is first booted properly with above installation process, without installing any zip more
    - Download a custom kernel that allows root, because root doesn't work anymore on stock kernel since M (checkout next paragraph for kernel list)
    - Download SuperSU Beta
    - Flash them (Kernel, then Super Su)
    - Reboot
    - Enjoy, you're now rooted !

"Ok Stock Kernel can't have root, then what custom kernel should I use to enable root ?"
    - Well, I just made a Google Stock + root-possible kernel. No more adds or tweaks, just stock + root allowed. I called it StephanMc Kernel, available here (for Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow).
    - StephanMc Kernel for 6.0.1 - Build 20151216
    Older releases:
    - StephanMc Kernel for 6.0.0
    - StephanMc Kernel for Android M Preview

- As alternative, you can download :
    * Despair KERNEL
    * ElemantalX
    * HellsCore
    *(let me know others, I will add it here! )
    - Once downloaded kernel, read instruction above to root

[Some recommandations]
    - Enable Developer Options: Settings -> About -> tap 7 times on Build number
    - Enable USB Debbuging
    - Enable Offline APK installations: Security -> Unkown sources

[About Titanium Backup (read this to fix it)]
    Problem 1) TB doesn't shows my previous backup
    It tries to find backup files into /storage/emulated/legacy/TitaniumBackup, while they are located here: /storage/emulated/0/TitaniumBackup (in my case, which is default place). In older Android releases, legacy was a symlink to 0/, so there was no problem at all. This changed on M Preview 2, so we have to make this change in TB.
    - Open Titanium Backup
    - MENU -> Preferences -> Backup Folder
    - Hit "Back" button to go in parent folder. Navigate to /sdcard (not /storage), then TitaniumBackup, then USE this folder
    - Congrats, TB is fixed !!

[Where is System Ui Tuner ?]
    - Expand the Notification bar until you see the Settings icon (on top right corner)
    - Hold on the icon for about 5 seconds
    - Congrats! You can find System UI Tuner menu into Settings -> just under "About phone" menu

[About Snapchat ? ]
    - Snapchat crashes at login with Marshmallow. You can workaround this by downgrading to v9.9.0 (google it), then log in the app. Once done, you're free to update it as usual if you want.

[Screenshots]
    - See attachments

[Wants to remove Root and re-use stock kernel ?]
    This is how to do:
    - Just reflash ROM in TWRP (no wipe required)

If you find this useful, feel free to hit thanks button, or share it with people you love :)

If someone is interested...
    Like always I created a flashable zip of last factory image M4B30Z
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=673368273298915496
    Enjoy

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Sorry for the delay guys
    I'm very busy right now
    I've created a flashable zip of July patch MOB30P
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7u8UIf8cIhsdm1xcDljcnp3c1U/view?usp=sharing
    For root flash latest SuperSU stable 2.76 zip
    https://download.chainfire.eu/969/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.76-20160630161323.zip
    Enjoy!
    OP updated with latest M Preview MPA44I
    So there's already a newer M3 build?

Yes Google released MPA44I (previous one was MPA44G).
    Seems more to be a small bug fix release:
    "The Google Apps Device Policy app bundled with MPA44G is unable to set up an Android for Work Profile, so you cannot create a new Work Profile with that version of the app. This issue is resolved in the Google Apps Device Policy app bundled with MPA44I. Other apps that provide Android for Work functionality remain unaffected on either build." ( https://developer.android.com/preview/support.html#preview3-notes )

As I'm currently busy at work, I will probably build the ZIP this evening when I'll be back home :)