• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Stock/Rooted Boot Images] Pixel 4a [NOV 02]

Search This thread

Typhus_

Hello!

Attached on this post are the stock and Magisk patched boot.img files from Android 11 July update.

Patched with latest Magisk Canary version 23.0.0.1.

Remember, to root your Pixel 4a all you need to do is to connect your device on your PC and:

*Reboot to bootloader*
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

*Erase current boot partition*
Code:
fastboot erase boot

*Flash Magisk Patched boot.img into boot partition*
Code:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_boot-sunfish-rq3a.210705.001.img

*Reboot to system*
Code:
fastboot continue

Cheers!

Attachments

• boot-sunfish-rq3a.210705.001.img
    64 MB · Views: 49
  • magisk_patched_boot-sunfish-rq3a.210705.001.img
    64 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

RonnellTapawan

Dec 30, 2013
Attached are the stock and magisk (latest canary) boot images for August update!

Attachments

• boot_sunfish-rq3a.210805.001.a1-factory-551be12c.img
    64 MB · Views: 38
  • magisk_sunfish-rq3a.210805.001.a1-factory-551be12c.img
    64 MB · Views: 49
Reactions: _BobsoN_

TheSayaMan

Sep 12, 2016
Attached are the stock and magisk (latest canary) boot images for August update!
No need to patch magisk anymore. There is a twrp recovery available for our device. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/twrp-for-pixel-4a-sunfish.4316405/ Flash to both slots in bootloader. fastboot flash --slot all boot twrp.img flash magisk.zip in twrp recovery and your rooted. You can also flash custom roms in twrp recovery with no need to sideload them.

amphi66

Dec 17, 2010
PacNW
Google Pixel 6
No need to patch magisk anymore. There is a twrp recovery available for our device. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/twrp-for-pixel-4a-sunfish.4316405/ Flash to both slots in bootloader. fastboot flash --slot all boot twrp.img flash magisk.zip in twrp recovery and your rooted. You can also flash custom roms in twrp recovery with no need to sideload them.
Now that I am rooted & patched per the August update (no TWRP) what is the proper procedure to install the September security update next week?

Last edited:

amphi66

Dec 17, 2010
PacNW
Google Pixel 6
I erased boot and then flashed sunfish-rq3a.210905.001.boot.magisk.img per the steps above and all seems well, except phone still reports as being on the August update. Did I make a rookie error?

a1291762

Nov 20, 2012
yasmar.net
I erased boot and then flashed sunfish-rq3a.210905.001.boot.magisk.img per the steps above and all seems well, except phone still reports as being on the August update. Did I make a rookie error?
Security updates are much more than a new boot.img.

The files posted here are for people who don't want to extract and patch their own boot.img.

Reactions: amphi66

koivth

Dec 5, 2014
Is it necessary to issue the erase boot command before flashing a new boot image in fastboot? If you skip the erase boot command, doesn't flashing a new boot overwrite the old one anyway? Curious if there is a specific reason to do it that way or why it would be considered best practice - thanks.

defTwitch

Jun 9, 2011
east coast...
I keep getting the following after I try to: fastboot flash boot filename.img

Sending 'boot_b' (8317 KB) OKAY [ 0.285s]
Writing 'boot_b' (bootloader) Flashing Pack version s5-0.2-6281315
FAILED (remote: '(boot_b) No such partition')
fastboot: error: Command failed

I've tried switching the active slot.
I've tried going boot_a or boot_b
I also did a -w to wipe it... and try again... same issue.

everytime I get the same error no such partition? The device is saying it is unlocked?

This is on a pixel 4a google just sent under warranty as a replacement. My old one I had root and has lineage running without issue. I was just going to go stock this time but no idea why I can't flash the latest september image posted in here?

Anyone got any ideas?

Edit: Using flash:raw instead of flash seemed to have worked?

creating boot image...
creating boot image - 8519680 bytes
Sending 'boot_b' (8320 KB) OKAY [ 0.148s]
Writing 'boot_b' OKAY [ 0.284s]
Finished. Total time: 0.564s

But... now it won't startup and fastboot says: "error boot prepare".

So still wondering what is wrong?
I believe my ADB/Fastboot are correct?

Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.41
Version 31.0.3-7562133

Still not sure whats up here but no luck still.

Another Edit... I downgraded Fastboot and get a different message... might keep trying different fastboots:
target reported max download size of 268435456 bytes
sending 'boot_b' (8317 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.149s]
writing 'boot_b'...
(bootloader) Flashing Pack version s5-0.2-6281315
FAILED (remote: (boot_b) No such partition)
finished. total time: 0.301s

Last Edit I hope:
SHAME... thats what is up. Shame. I was picking an old image by mistake due to a typo. Per uze it was user error in the end. I'll leave all this up as I deserve this shame for wasting the past 2 hours :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rhewins2268

Typhus_

Hello!

Attached on this post are the stock and Magisk patched boot.img files from Android 12 October update (the very first Android 12 official stable update).

Remember, to root your Pixel 4a all you need to do is to connect your device on your PC and:

*Reboot to bootloader*
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Code:
fastboot erase boot

Code:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_boot-sunfish-sp1a.210812.015.img

*Reboot to system*
Code:
fastboot continue

Cheers!

Attachments

• boot-sunfish-sp1a.210812.015.img
    64 MB · Views: 27
  • magisk_patched_boot-sunfish-sp1a.210812.015.img
    64 MB · Views: 63

barramas

Jan 19, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Hello!

Attached on this post are the stock and Magisk patched boot.img files from Android 12 October update (the very first Android 12 official stable update).

*Reboot to bootloader*
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Code:
fastboot erase boot

Code:
fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_boot-sunfish-sp1a.210812.015.img

*Reboot to system*
Code:
fastboot continue

Cheers!
hello, i have custom bliss 11 in my pixel 4a,can i install android 12 stock?
very sorry for my bad english

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My magisk hide (23, no beta) does not work, If I disable it in settings and reopen settings it is unchecked again. The Magisk Hide option in superuser tab isnt there as well.

Any ideas how to solve that?
    What version of Magisk and the Magisk app do you have installed (you could simply post a screenshot of the main window of the app)? Lately there's been some reports of similar issues where users have had mismatching versions installed...

And for those that are worried about MagiskHide being replaced with the Deny list in future releases of Magisk: I wouldn't worry. Google still hasn't pulled the plug on us (as they eventually will) and it's still perfectly possible to pass SN. You'll likely need Universal SafetyNet Fix v2.2.0+ though (which isn't yet released as a free upgrade, but should be soon), or similar patches added to the ROM you're using.
    Thanks for helping. Here you can see my version:
    That was exactly your issue... You have the Canary installed (build 23011), that doesn't have MagiskHide. But, you have the stable app (build 23000). Mismatch.

Either install the Canary app and set stuff up with the Deny list (and USNF if you want to pass SafetyNet), or uninstall Magisk and reinstall the stable release (yes, an uninstall is needed for this downgrade).
    Currently I am using the latest github version (v.2.1.1), installed together with latest riru locally as there is no built-in repo browser in latest magisk canary. Where do I get v2.2.0?
    USNF v2.2.0 is currently available as a paid pre-release on @kdrag0n's Patreon. It should soon be released for free though... The v2.1.1 release won't work on the Magisk Canary because of incompatibilities between Riru and Zygisk.
    Hello!

Attached on this post are the stock and Magisk patched boot.img files from Android 12 November update.

Patched with latest Magisk Canary version 23.0.1.1.

*Reboot to bootloader*
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Code:
    fastboot erase boot

Code:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_boot-sunfish-sp1a.211105.002.img

*Reboot to system*
    Code:
    fastboot continue

Cheers!
    How are you guys able to pass safety net checks? Is magisk hide still available on android 12 versions of magisk?
    My 4a passes just fine, as it did under A11. I do have some Magisk modules installed: MagiskHide Props Config, Riru, Busybox, Seamless Hosts, & Universal SafetyNet Fix. I don't recall if one specific module did the trick, tho
    We have stock factory boot images, I'm only posting the latest builds.
    The rooted android 10 images are rooted with latest Magisk 20.4
    The rooted 11 images are rooted with latest Magisk Canary 4e0a3f5e
    You will still need to install the Magisk Manager to use root. Root will not work without it.
    You HAVE to be bootloader unlocked in order to flash a boot image, meaning these Verizon images are likely useless but google does say it covers extra carriers too. The 11 images seem to be unified in terms of Verizon and other carriers, but do NOT cover

Make sure to match the boot image build number to your own build number. (Settings/about/android version/build number)

-

Android 11 - RP1A - NOV - Stock Factory Boot
    Stock Boot Image - Global - rp1a.201105.002 - All carriers except EMEA, SG, and IN
    AFH

Old Stock Boot Versions

Android 11 - RP1A - Oct - Stock Factory Boot
    Stock Boot Image - Global - rp1a.201005.006 - All carriers except EMEA, SG, and IN
    AFH

Android 11 - RP1A - Sept - Stock Factory Boot
    Stock Boot Image - Global - rp1a.200720.011 - All carriers except EMEA, SG, and IN
    AFH

Android 11 Beta R3 - RPB3 - Stock Factory Boot
    Stock Boot Image - Global - rpb3.200720.005
    AFH

Android 10 - QD4A - Aug - Stock Factory Boot
    Stock Boot Image - Global - QD4A.200805.003
    AFH

Stock Boot Image - VZW/JP - QD4A.200805.001
    AFH

--

Android 11 - RP1A - Nov - Rooted Factory Boot
    Rooted Boot Image - Global - rp1a.201105.002 - All carriers except EMEA, SG, and IN
    AFH

Old Rooted Boot Versions

Android 11 - RP1A - Oct - Rooted Factory Boot
    Rooted Boot Image - Global - rp1a.201005.006 - All carriers except EMEA, SG, and IN
    AFH

Android 11 - RP1A - Sept - Rooted Factory Boot
    Rooted Boot Image - Global - rp1a.200720.011 - All carriers except EMEA, SG, and IN
    AFH

Android 11 Beta R3 - RPB3 - Rooted Factory Boot - Thanks to @Xenanthropy !
    Rooted Boot Image - Global - rpb3.200720.005
    AFH

Android 10 - QD4A - Aug - Rooted Factory Boot
    Rooted Boot Image - Global - QD4A.200805.003
    AFH

Rooted Boot Image - VZW/JP - QD4A.200805.001
    AFH

--

For root on Android 11, you need the latest Magisk Canary that can be found here

Steps to proceed:
    Unlock Bootloader
    Ensure you are on latest android version
    Ensure you have the latest versions of adb/fastboot tools
    Download the desired boot image and place where adb tools have access
    Connect phone to pc and open terminal/cmd prompt to where you put that desired boot image

On the phone:
    Go to Settings/About and scroll to the bottom
    tap 'Build Number' 7 times
    type password/pincode if you have it otherwise don't worry
    Go to Settings/System/Developer Options
    Enable OEM Unlocking
    Enable USB Debugging
    Accept USB Debugging prompt on phone - If this doesn't pop-up by itself, unplug phone and plug back in to pc and then it should pop-up, HAVE to allow access..

On pc type:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flashing unlock

On phone:
    Volume up/down to YES and press power button to proceed with bootloader unlock and wiping data partition
    fastboot reboot

--

Flash Boot Image on Bootloader Unlocked Device
    Ensure you are on an android version matching the boot image you want to download(Check Settings/About - Click on Android Version - Look at 'Build Number')
    Download desired boot image on pc and place it where somewhere you have adb/fastboot access
    Connect phone to pc and open terminal/cmd prompt to where you put that desired boot image
    Reboot phone to bootloader

on pc type:
    fastboot flash boot desired-bootimage-name.img
    fastboot reboot

--

To Pass CTS w/root- Courtesy of @quangtran1
    After flashing rooted kernel:
    In Magisk Manager, install the MagiskHide Props Config module;

Execute command 'su -c props' using a terminal app on the phone;

Choose 'Force BASIC key attestation' option from menu;

Choose from fingerprints list, it should default to Pixel 4a, just Confirm
    Reboot
    ?????
    Profit

--

If you want or need to make your own rooted boot image
    You need the latest Magisk Manager installed.
    Stable Magisk for Android 10, maybe 11 | Canary Magisk for Android 11 for sure.
    Download the desired Stock Boot Image from here or extract it yourself from Google's Factory Image zip.
    Copy to sdcard of your device.
    Open Magisk Manager, click the first 'Install' button next to 'Magisk is up to date'.
    Click 'Install'.
    Click 'Select and Patch a File'
    Find and select the desired Stock Boot Image.
    You will find the magisk patched, Rooted Boot Image in the sdcard/Download folder titled 'magisk_patched.img'
    Copy that to your pc and flash your pixel 4a from fastboot or copy to the phone and flash with exkm/fkm/etc.
    Reboot
    Install Magisk Manager
    Enjoy being rooted.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [Stock/Rooted Boot Images] Pixel 4a [NOV 02], Tool/Utility for the Google Pixel 4a

Contributors
    HolyAngel
    Source Code: https://developers.google.com/android/images#sunfish

Version Information

Created 2020-08-24
    Last Updated 2020-11-02
    Hello!

Attached on this post are the stock and Magisk patched boot.img files from Android 11 April update.

Patched with latest Magisk version 22.0.

*Reboot to bootloader*
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Code:
    fastboot erase boot

Code:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_boot-sunfish-rq2a.210405.005.img

*Reboot to system*
    Code:
    fastboot continue

Cheers!
    Hello!

Attached on this post are the stock and Magisk patched boot.img files from Android 11 July update.

*Reboot to bootloader*
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Code:
    fastboot erase boot

Code:
    fastboot flash boot magisk_patched_boot-sunfish-rq3a.210705.001.img

*Reboot to system*
    Code:
    fastboot continue

Cheers!
    Hello, here are the stock and magisk patched boot.img files for January Update

Can confirm here that it's working with the latest Magisk release
    Alright, posted with credits. Thanks again! Saves me a bit of time tonight to keep working on a kernel and then TWRP and a ROM after that.

Speaking of.. Here's a sneak preview :cool: