• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[STOCK] Stock Backups/Images/OTAs

Search This thread

wedgimuss

Nov 14, 2021
I have twrp partially working. The screen is displayed vertically, but touch responds as if it were laid out horizontally. Some of the partitions will mount, but not all.

Right now what's holding me back is simply getting logs out of the device. Adb won't start, and it can't write to anywhere I can retrieve the files.

I'll keep plugging away, but any hints would help a lot. I think I'm close to getting it working.

I can't wait to get a clean firmware on this device and finally have a usable tablet without constant Walmart ads and bloat
You can remove the bloatware apps via adb without root, there's 4 of them I believe.

I've gotten the latest Android 11 pixelexperience unofficial GSI image to flash and it runs great. Magisk is not working, neither is TWRP. I'm needing root to run a custom kernel for a specIfic use case I want for this tablet.

With patched Magisk from the stock boot image, the tablet just boots to fastboot.

I have twrp partially working. The screen is displayed vertically, but touch responds as if it were laid out horizontally. Some of the partitions will mount, but not all.

Right now what's holding me back is simply getting logs out of the device. Adb won't start, and it can't write to anywhere I can retrieve the files.

I'll keep plugging away, but any hints would help a lot. I think I'm close to getting it working.

I can't wait to get a clean firmware on this device and finally have a usable tablet without constant Walmart ads and bloat
The touch input is configured at build time with boardconfig.mk. I build mine in landscape for my tablets as it just looks better. There is an example of boardconfig.mk from my Tab S5e attached, look at bottom section and you will see the screen orientation, rotation and whether flipped on x or y axis. I'll have to look but it seems like I remember changing it in resource folder at one time in AIK. Post your /system/etc/twrp.fstab and we'll see what needs edited to get partitions to mount.

edit: thought I was attaching make file. added it but don't see it, will get it on here in a little bit.

Last edited:
You can remove the bloatware apps via adb without root, there's 4 of them I believe.

I've gotten the latest Android 11 pixelexperience unofficial GSI image to flash and it runs great. Magisk is not working, neither is TWRP. I'm needing root to run a custom kernel for a specIfic use case I want for this tablet.

With patched Magisk from the stock boot image, the tablet just boots to fastboot.
I don't have a 2nd gen tablet but have looked at some of the .img and .bin files posted here. Don't know if needed but disable-verity may apply to more than just vbmeta as these tablets now have system_meta and vendor_meta partitions that are part of the boot phase. I don't have it front of me to remember what all I was looking at but those were part of the first round of partitions mounted and verified.
For deeper tinkering your tablet has MTK ULTRAFLASH capabilities according to lk.bin and lk2.bin, not much in the way of documentation on it. There was in fact no online documentation for it when I found it in the first gen tabs. It's not something one would want to play around with too much without documentation. It can write protected partitions with fastboot, like bootloader for instance would be bad to have corrupted as you would then not be able to write to it to fix it. Just something I found interesting with these tabs and thought I would add.

Last edited:
Reactions: kozmo2k4

onn.

Nov 29, 2021
You wouldn't happen to know of a backup for the gen2 100011885 8 inch, would you?
My tab's currently bricked (hard) and I am desperate for a working backup with the scatter file and preloader..
Did you have any luck with this? I'm in the same situation now, and am trying the SP Flash Tools, and for a split second, I saw a glimmer of hope, because I think I saw the device get recognized in device manager, but it had a popup that said what I downloaded at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/stock-stock-backups-images-otas.3998227/ (scatter file) had a version of MT8163 and mine was MT8168. The fact that I saw some movement in device manager makes me think I have a slim chance at possibly reviving the device after a bad boot.img flash.

Did you have any luck with this? I'm in the same situation now, and am trying the SP Flash Tools, and for a split second, I saw a glimmer of hope, because I think I saw the device get recognized in device manager, but it had a popup that said what I downloaded at https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/stock-stock-backups-images-otas.3998227/ (scatter file) had a version of MT8163 and mine was MT8168. The fact that I saw some movement in device manager makes me think I have a slim chance at possibly reviving the device after a bad boot.img flash.
Scroll up or back to post #330, that recovery.archive is not just recovery.img but full firmware minus scatter, but reference is made to scatter. Check it out.

onn.

Nov 29, 2021
Scroll up or back to post #330, that recovery.archive is not just recovery.img but full firmware minus scatter, but reference is made to scatter. Check it out.
Thanks for the tip. After googling, I found https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/help-needed-onn-8-gen-2-100011885-no-boot.4246787/post-84949449 which has the MT8168 scatter file I was looking for (as well as boot.img and recovery.img). Now I am researching which files to lump in one folder so that everything is in order for the SP Flash Tools. Thanks for the lead. One step closer to reviving this brick (hopefully).

Thanks for the tip. After googling, I found https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/help-needed-onn-8-gen-2-100011885-no-boot.4246787/post-84949449 which has the MT8168 scatter file I was looking for (as well as boot.img and recovery.img). Now I am researching which files to lump in one folder so that everything is in order for the SP Flash Tools. Thanks for the lead. One step closer to reviving this brick (hopefully).
Did you download that archive in #330 ? If so put them all in one folder, SPFT will pick the ones it wants according to scatter and leave the rest untouched. No flash specific folder just keep it all together, cleaner system all around that way.

onn.

Nov 29, 2021
Did you download that archive in #330 ? If so put them all in one folder, SPFT will pick the ones it wants according to scatter and leave the rest untouched. No flash specific folder just keep it all together, cleaner system all around that way.
I did download the contents, and placed the MT8168 scatter file in that same folder. However, I got the error as seen in the pic. What I'm worried about it the MT8168 scatter file indicates a preloader file called "preloader_tb8168p1_bsp.bin" whereas the contents of the archive have a file called "preloader_mid8011_mq.bin". Apologies also if I should be posting a help thread or anything I already have somewhere else.

Attachments

• 1638381781520.png
    1638381781520.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 1638381917367.png
    1638381917367.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 9
I did download the contents, and placed the MT8168 scatter file in that same folder. However, I got the error as seen in the pic. What I'm worried about it the MT8168 scatter file indicates a preloader file called "preloader_tb8168p1_bsp.bin" whereas the contents of the archive have a file called "preloader_mid8011_mq.bin". Apologies also if I should be posting a help thread or anything I already have somewhere else.
I wish I had one of these tabs so I could be up to date on versions and variants. I don't know if tb8168 is same as mid8011 with a name change or if totally different device. I'm guessing the bsp.bin is from board support package and don't know of mq.bin. If it turns out they are the same preloader renamed the scatter can be edited, but don't edit without knowing for sure. Wish I could be more help.

onn.

Nov 29, 2021
I wish I had one of these tabs so I could be up to date on versions and variants. I don't know if tb8168 is same as mid8011 with a name change or if totally different device. I'm guessing the bsp.bin is from board support package and don't know of mq.bin. If it turns out they are the same preloader renamed the scatter can be edited, but don't edit without knowing for sure. Wish I could be more help.
This was my journey by the way. I only recall messing with boot.img so I don't know if that alone caused the brick, or if that caused other stuff to be erased/overwritten. Do you know off hand if you have to have every field filled in SPFT or if you can push individual files?

This was my journey by the way. I only recall messing with boot.img so I don't know if that alone caused the brick, or if that caused other stuff to be erased/overwritten. Do you know off hand if you have to have every field filled in SPFT or if you can push individual files?
Sounds like you may have patched the wrong boot.img. Other stuff should not have been affected by flashing boot.img as long as you flashed it to boot partition and not somewhere else. Yes you can flash individual files in spft, just select the lines you want in spft gui. Are you on Linux or windoze ? I want to see how your device is detected. Even when it is not showing up for you there are ways to find it.

onn.

Nov 29, 2021
Sounds like you may have patched the wrong boot.img. Other stuff should not have been affected by flashing boot.img as long as you flashed it to boot partition and not somewhere else. Yes you can flash individual files in spft, just select the lines you want in spft gui. Are you on Linux or windoze ? I want to see how your device is detected. Even when it is not showing up for you there are ways to find it.
Windows user and following https://devsjournal.com/how-to-unbrick-mediatek-device.html I fiddled around with the device yesterday and did some stuff like trying to push only a few files, but I ended up having to reinstall the VCOM drivers. The device previously would stay connected, as confirmed in device manager, if I held the power button down for a while, but after trying to just push the boot.img, vbmeta.img, and recovery.img, it seemed to make the device want to act funny to where if I hold the power button down while the device is connected to my PC, it pops up with a yellow exclamation point on the driver and then disconnects. However, at one point I was able to get a message from SPFT that said there was a target chip mismatch (I assume it had failed to try and flash anything then). This part I can't seem to reproduce yet. As far as the Android ADB driver, it has the yellow exclamation point too.

Attachments

• 1638454070671.png
    1638454070671.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 9
Windows user and following https://devsjournal.com/how-to-unbrick-mediatek-device.html I fiddled around with the device yesterday and did some stuff like trying to push only a few files, but I ended up having to reinstall the VCOM drivers. The device previously would stay connected, as confirmed in device manager, if I held the power button down for a while, but after trying to just push the boot.img, vbmeta.img, and recovery.img, it seemed to make the device want to act funny to where if I hold the power button down while the device is connected to my PC, it pops up with a yellow exclamation point on the driver and then disconnects. However, at one point I was able to get a message from SPFT that said there was a target chip mismatch (I assume it had failed to try and flash anything then). This part I can't seem to reproduce yet. As far as the Android ADB driver, it has the yellow exclamation point too.
Continuing to hold power button while connected may lead to undesired results. There are different stages that it will go thru when you first connect it to PC, like preloader and brom. Holding power will try to reboot or restart the process. It's been a while since I've dealt with MTK but last one would be detected differently by button combination used when connecting usb. Something like vol- while connecting was preloader and vol+ while connecting was bootloader. Try searching for MTK button combinations, can't remember where I've seen it but there was a list of a lot more than vol- & vol+. Kinda thinking you may need to get someone to provide you a dump from a like device and use all matching files at one time, including preloader.

Reactions: kozmo2k4

onn.

Nov 29, 2021
Continuing to hold power button while connected may lead to undesired results. There are different stages that it will go thru when you first connect it to PC, like preloader and brom. Holding power will try to reboot or restart the process. It's been a while since I've dealt with MTK but last one would be detected differently by button combination used when connecting usb. Something like vol- while connecting was preloader and vol+ while connecting was bootloader. Try searching for MTK button combinations, can't remember where I've seen it but there was a list of a lot more than vol- & vol+. Kinda thinking you may need to get someone to provide you a dump from a like device and use all matching files at one time, including preloader.
I'm currently working on trying to find solutions to my current situation. I'll move to https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/help-needed-onn-8-gen-2-100011885-no-boot.4246787/ where I'm putting my updates in the fix process. It's not listed there yet, but I have tried to select Upgrade option and put everything the other user said, but so far SPFT is giving me a hash mismatch error. I appreciate your help so far, and I will try to move to the more suitable thread there since I have the stock ROM files now (although scatter is slightly different).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey @NFSP G35 I assume you would want the onn pro stock firmware for the OP, if not let me know i'll make one specific to the onn pro. I picked up an onn pro 8 inch and I can confirm that like the older onn its fully unlockable, and sp flash works without a DA/Auth file. So I have generated a scatter file for it and dumped the firmware. I have done the shipping OS as well as the 3/5/2020 update. I was not able to get the ota link because I have not rooted my device so I can't grab the prefs xml, and there was nothing in logcat. Feel free to mirror these if desired.

Note: The SOC is classified as mt6765 instead of mt8768 due to sp flash not currently supporting mt8768. The reason i picked mt6765 is that it seems the mt8768 soc is based on that because almost everywhere in the system it's mt6765.

Scatter file by itself
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MH9jr7Ki5cagB0uT8368bxaH7rCNDGn_

Shipping Firmware
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WwEhXFuvmXugBxjpesgP8X0s9lpZ2m7k

3/5/2020 Firmware
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lHcyyv9-LKEwKSUvC1tG-Hn-RCCLu-cg

In case anyone wants to poke through the files without downloading it I have also dumped both firmware versions here (There are 2 branches)
    https://github.com/AndroidDumps/onn_mid8011_dump
    Since these tablets don't have an external online resource for downloading system updates, only a sketchy OTA app (com.adups.fota) I'm collecting a library of OTAs, as well as boot/recovery/system images.

I have access to a 10.1 with keyboard (ONA19TB007) and without (ONA19TB003) that I can pull updates and images from, but I do not have access to the 8" (ONA19TB002) or newer 7" tablet. Any assistance with those two would be welcomed :good:

Onn 10.1" without keyboard - ONA19TB003

Stock Images
    May 2019

Onn 10.1" with keyboard - ONA19TB007

Onn 8" - ONA19TB002

Stock Images
    November 2019
    May 2019

Onn 7" Surf - 100005206

OTA
    Stock Images
    October 2019
    June 2019
    Here is the stock shipping firmware for the Onn 7 Surf build date Jun 10th, Security date of May 5th
    Here

As well as the stock firmware for the October 23rd build, Security date of August 5th
    Here

I generated these from my device that I picked up on black friday I'll be working on twrp next. But to echo what others have said this device is not in the same family as the other onn tablets. It's made by a different manufacturer with a different CPU. It's also pretty bad all around it lags a lot with basic tasks I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who is planning to seriously use it. It looks/feels like a trap for the elderly to get their grandkids a tablet for Christmas.

Would you please add it to the OP @NFSP G35
    Since these tablets don't have an external online resource for downloading system updates, only a sketchy OTA app (com.adups.fota) I'm collecting a library of OTAs, as well as boot/recovery/system images.

I discovered that running the following command
    Code:
    pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.adups.fota.sysoper && pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.adups.fota
    withing adb shell will disable the over the air updates.

I do not know if there is any truth to this, but Malwarebytes has an article on this, claiming that the software can be used to collect user data so I chose to disable it.
    You're welcome to reference my thread and post a link to my server with the x003 and x002 stock images. SP Flash Tools is needed.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80574967&postcount=192
    https://www.nathanbar.net/files/android

I plan on making a proper thread, perhaps this weekend, on how to backup with Wwr, and flash with SP Tools. I will try to upload updated images from the newest OTA.
    I may even make a blog post with photos on my site.