[StockOreo] Non-Rooted Users Upgrade to Official Stock Oreo 8.1.0

Did this thread help you ?

• Yes. Now I am on Oreo.

Votes: 55 44.4%
  • No. This didn't help.

Votes: 38 30.6%
  • Somewhat helped. I used some other method.

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • The thread is not clear. I'm confused.

Votes: 28 22.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

mightyjai

Aug 15, 2016
Redmi Note 10
This thread is for those who haven't modified there Stock Rom in any way and are on NPSS26.116-61-8 version. Those who :-

1. Haven't Unlocked their Bootloader.
2. Haven't Rooted their Moto G5s Plus
3. Haven't Installed any Custom Rom
4. In short, were using the phone in the simple way without any modification.

can now upgrade to Stock Oreo 8.1.0 (Soak Test 1) easily.

To do that, just follow the following steps :-

1. Download the Oreo Stock Rom
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14nWazUMHTyk-od6SF3KJOXVTOWZoC_Do/view?usp=drivesdk (Thanks to the @sshbhm)
Or try this link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DW5zsW5uLZVRcpBPCqcumBifFzN98nbt/view?usp=drivesdk (Thanks to @Akhilesh287)

Mod Edit: If link is not working hit REPLY or send PM to the OP to notify them. Please do not REPORT a non-working link until you have contacted the OP first.

2. Cut Paste the downloaded Zip file in the root directory i.e internal storage.
(Make sure it is named as Blur_Version.26.336.15.sanders.retail.en.US.zip)

3. Give Storage permission to "Motorola Update Services" App

4. Check for any System Updates.

5. Restart your Phone.

6. Wait for some time (All I did was wait and Update notification appeared)

7. If Update Notification does not appear then check again for any updates.

8. Now, if update notification appears on your Moto and you press the update now button, let it restart and wait for approx 20-25 minutes.

9. Voila !!! You are on Official Oreo 8.1.0 Now...

Thanks to the Xda Community and its amazing members !!! :angel:

Edit - Before anyone asks whether Fingerprint is working or not, I confirm here that it is One Hundred Percent Working !!!

Hit Thanks if this helped.

Last edited:

mightyjai

Aug 15, 2016
Redmi Note 10
Screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180623-132051.jpg
    Screenshot_20180623-132051.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 13,106
  • Screenshot_20180623-132351.jpg
    Screenshot_20180623-132351.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 13,166
  • Screenshot_20180623-132416.png
    Screenshot_20180623-132416.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 13,243
  • Screenshot_20180623-133952.png
    Screenshot_20180623-133952.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 12,610

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
You may wish to advise users that this Oreo OTA may mean you do not receive OTA updates in the future. The reason is that this OTA is currently a soak test beta OTA. By flashing this, users move their device onto the soak test OTA path. If you're not part of the soak test program, you won't receive OTA updates.

If Motorola eventually releases OPS28.49-2 as the official OTA, then users that flashed this may be okay as they're back on the official OTA path. If not and Motorola issues another soak test OTA, then users will be stuck unless they take the responsibility to flash all the soak test OTA updates themselves or find the Oreo stock ROM.

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
Hi, If i have branded rom with Play, Can I upgrade to Oreo with this rom or not ?

If your device does not have NPSS26.116-61-8 firmware on it, you won't be able to apply this OTA.

However, bear in mind that this leaked file is a soak test (beta) OTA, so you may wish to wait for the official OTA to come out via Play. If you flash this OTA, as I mentioned above, you may not receive future OTA updates unless this soak test and the official OTA are the same.

DannyRmz24

Jun 23, 2018

2. Cut Paste the downloaded Zip file in the root directory i.e internal storage.

5. Restart your Phone.

8. Now, if update notification appears on your Moto and you press the update now button, let it restart and wait for approx 20-25 minutes.

This works even with unlocked Bootloader (xt1806), but first you have to flash official firmware (NPSS26.116-61-8). Then, just follow the steps in the guide.

After that you can install twrp and magisk if you want.

Reactions: smaranballa

mightyjai

Aug 15, 2016
Redmi Note 10
This works even with unlocked Bootloader (xt1806), but first you have to flash official firmware (NPSS26.116-61-8). Then, just follow the steps in the guide.

After that you can install twrp and magisk if you want.

Yes you are right.

Actually this method is for those users who are using their Moto without any modifications.

Those who have modified their Moto like unlocked bootloader, installed custom recovery, rooted, installed custom Rom, etc. can do everything. But Normal Users depend upon Official Updates. So this method is useful for such users. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: pratham.kamath

William1020000

Jul 20, 2016
Are there any glitches? If not I might use this as my permanent OS, as my phone is modified and I wont receive OTAs anyway. If its too glitchy I'll wait for the official oreo though.

geekychandu

Oct 16, 2015
Please note that, this is not the official Oreo. It's just soak test. Once you flash this, you may not receive the official update when rolls out. So go with this with caution.

Reactions: echo92

echo92

Jan 1, 2017
Plymouth
if your bootloader is unlocked, what will happen if I flash nougat stock rom over this build?

You have a possible risk of hard bricking your device if you flash the stock Nougat ROM over this Oreo soak test.

The flash of the Nougat stock ROM won't be the problem - however, you may still have an Oreo bootloader on your device. Thus, taking any Nougat OTA updates may hard brick your device (and I think there's a Nougat June 2018 security patch?).

Be very careful if you choose to downgrade to Nougat. There appears to be one report that someone was able to downgrade and re-lock their bootloader from the soak test after downgrading https://plus.google.com/+LaercioCarlosPereira/posts/XoVM56UDpd1 but as they've flashed the Indian stock ROM over their Brazil stock ROM they likely won't get Nougat OTA updates anyway.

Reactions: noobAKO

Laercio_lalau

Apr 1, 2015
São Paulo
You have a possible risk of hard bricking your device if you flash the stock Nougat ROM over this Oreo soak test.

The flash of the Nougat stock ROM won't be the problem - however, you may still have an Oreo bootloader on your device. Thus, taking any Nougat OTA updates may hard brick your device (and I think there's a Nougat June 2018 security patch?).

Be very careful if you choose to downgrade to Nougat. There appears to be one report that someone was able to downgrade and re-lock their bootloader from the soak test after downgrading https://plus.google.com/+LaercioCarlosPereira/posts/XoVM56UDpd1 but as they've flashed the Indian stock ROM over their Brazil stock ROM they likely won't get Nougat OTA updates anyway.
Nice Brow, an XML already solves.This link is I hehe;)

Laercio_lalau

Apr 1, 2015
São Paulo
When I mention an XML JA RESOLVE, I REFER TO THE XML OF 8.1 WHEN THE RELEASE IS RELEASED, AND IN RELATION TO THE BOOTLOADER, I'M NOT HOME, LATER VERIFY

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is for those who haven't modified there Stock Rom in any way and are on NPSS26.116-61-8 version. Those who :-

1. Haven't Unlocked their Bootloader.
    2. Haven't Rooted their Moto G5s Plus
    3. Haven't Installed any Custom Rom
    4. In short, were using the phone in the simple way without any modification.

can now upgrade to Stock Oreo 8.1.0 (Soak Test 1) easily.

To do that, just follow the following steps :-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14nWazUMHTyk-od6SF3KJOXVTOWZoC_Do/view?usp=drivesdk (Thanks to the @sshbhm)
    Or try this link
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DW5zsW5uLZVRcpBPCqcumBifFzN98nbt/view?usp=drivesdk (Thanks to @Akhilesh287)

Mod Edit: If link is not working hit REPLY or send PM to the OP to notify them. Please do not REPORT a non-working link until you have contacted the OP first.

5. Restart your Phone.

Thanks to the Xda Community and its amazing members !!! :angel:

Edit - Before anyone asks whether Fingerprint is working or not, I confirm here that it is One Hundred Percent Working !!!

Hit Thanks if this helped.
    You may wish to advise users that this Oreo OTA may mean you do not receive OTA updates in the future. The reason is that this OTA is currently a soak test beta OTA. By flashing this, users move their device onto the soak test OTA path. If you're not part of the soak test program, you won't receive OTA updates.

If Motorola eventually releases OPS28.49-2 as the official OTA, then users that flashed this may be okay as they're back on the official OTA path. If not and Motorola issues another soak test OTA, then users will be stuck unless they take the responsibility to flash all the soak test OTA updates themselves or find the Oreo stock ROM.
    Hi, If i have branded rom with Play, Can I upgrade to Oreo with this rom or not ?

If your device does not have NPSS26.116-61-8 firmware on it, you won't be able to apply this OTA.

However, bear in mind that this leaked file is a soak test (beta) OTA, so you may wish to wait for the official OTA to come out via Play. If you flash this OTA, as I mentioned above, you may not receive future OTA updates unless this soak test and the official OTA are the same.
    in the version npSS26.116-64-11

does this work with the version NPSS26.116-64-11?

No, you must flash the Indian April 2018 NPSS26.116-61-8 firmware to use this soak test. You may have to clean flash the stock ROM and currently no one has been able to capture any of the newer soak tests, so there are no updates for this soak test at the moment.

I'd suggest waiting for the official Oreo OTA to arrive.
    if i flash sock test what about the official update?
    and ill i get a official update for oreo ?

Hi, if I use this OTA (US file) after that, shall I receive Moto official OTA ???

If you flash this soak test OTA, there's no guarantee you'll get OTA updates. If you flash this, you won't get official OTA updates (you're now on the soak test OTA path) unless the soak test ends and OPS28.49-2 is the official OTA general release update. If that happens, then your soak test build is the same as the general release build and so you should be back to receiving OTA updates (as long as your firmware is fully stock).

However, if Motorola provides another soak test update to its testers, you won't receive it unless you're part of the Motorola feedback network. Thus, you'll be stuck on this soak test (and will not likely receive official patches) unless you can find all the remaining soak test patches to get you back to the official update path or hope the official Oreo OTA or stock ROM is captured.

We don't know if Motorola will release another soak test patch or release this soak test, it's a risk you have to take on flashing this and it's your responsibility to find any remaining patches if they do arrive (to be fair, for flashing many things on XDA, you have to be responsible and be prepared to fix your own problems). Despite the name having retail.en.us, the update appears not to be solely for the US. However, you will need the Indian April 2018 firmware to try to flash this.