Strange problem with camera

Search This thread

assaft

Mar 5, 2014
I noticed some strange phenomenon with my Mate 9 camera - it looks like pictures come out blurry if the phone is tilted upwards / downwards after focus has been locked.

Could someone try to reproduce the problem?

The instructions are as follows:
1. set the camera to pro mode and Manual focus.
2. hold the camera normally in portrait position
3. compose with some distant subject in the middle
4. press on the subject to focus on it
5. press the shutter button to take a picture.
6. tilt the camera upwards/downwards (while keeping the subject in the frame). Do not refocus.
7. press the shutter button to take a picture.

In my case, the picture that I get from step 5 is perfectly sharp, while the picture I get from step 7 is very blurry.
It's important not to refocus after step 6. If I refocus at that point, the picture from step 7 comes out fine.

I noticed this accidentally when I tried to take a vertical panorama and saw that the image gets less and less sharp the more I tilt the camera vertically. Example of such result:

a3afaafdae34433eba5f6e44d928b417

Some observations:
1. It doesn't matter if I'm holding the camera in portrait or in landscape mode; Tilting it upwards / downwards after focus was locked makes the output blurry.

2. The more I tilt it, the blurrier the output gets.

3. The problem appears only when the camera is tilted vertically. Tilting it horizontally is fine. So normal panoramas come out OK, but vertical panoramas do not.

4. The problem appears in both Color mode and Monochrome mode (when only 1 camera/lens module is in use). So at least I know that the problem is not related to the optical image stabilizer (that only the color camera has) or to alignment between the two cameras.

5. It is not a narrow depth-of-field issue: the subjects I checked are very far away from the camera, and basically everything should be in focus. Furthermore, the distance between the camera and the subject is held pretty much constant and still - in one picture they come out sharp, while in another, after tilting the camera upwards/downwards, they come out blurry.

Help to reproduce the problem and to understand it will be appreciated.

gonzostronzo

Jul 25, 2011
Hi, I am facing the same problem, do you have a solution? Is this a software bug or am I doing something wrong?
I this is a bug, I dont understand, why I only find your concern via google...
Even on EMUI9 I have still this blurry vertical panorama issue