• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Strange situation on my 5 II

Search This thread

KnockOut^9

Sep 10, 2017
hi forum,

i open a new discussion with the hope that someone (more expert than me) with a bit of patience can try to understand the situation of my 5 II (model XQAS52).

Since i've purchased this device, a couple of months ago, i' ve noticed different bugs in the daily use... Various bugs reported in another thread here on XDA. A bit annoying, if you ask me.
The firmware version is 58.1.A.3.87 and i think that OTA updates are... off.
It is possible? There is a way to understand if i'm right or not?

In case, and i don't know why, my device will not receive any kind of updates, what can i do to solve this?
I've tried to repair it with Xperia Companion but every time my device shutdown during the process, and of course it doesn't complete the repair.

Last edited:

KnockOut^9

Sep 10, 2017
My build # is 58.1.A.5.330. I would probably ask Sony why I wasn't getting updates? I might go to Sony Xperia Support and try manually downloading updates.
manual updates in the app are useless: the app indicates me that the system is already updated. Same for Xperia Companion on pc.

I've spent 700euro for this device (new, of course) only to find it in this situation... it's shameful.

PPGX5II

manual updates in the app are useless: the app indicates me that the system is already updated. Same for Xperia Companion on pc.

I've spent 700euro for this device (new, of course) only to find it in this situation... it's shameful.
All variants of XQ-AS52 are currently having 58.1.A.5.395 build: https://xpericheck.com/XQ-AS52
If you have bought it via official channel you can definitely raise this concern with Sony support.
You can alternately check Software Info from Service Menu to check the exact region of your device. I can't think of why but I vaguely remember that if you device is cross flashed or not in the region it initially supported then you sometime don't get OTA updates(I may be wrong too). But first step is to check with Sony support as Patrickt mentioned.

Reactions: KnockOut^9

KnockOut^9

Sep 10, 2017
All variants of XQ-AS52 are currently having 58.1.A.5.395 build: https://xpericheck.com/XQ-AS52
If you have bought it via official channel you can definitely raise this concern with Sony support.
You can alternately check Software Info from Service Menu to check the exact region of your device. I can't think of why but I vaguely remember that if you device is cross flashed or not in the region it initially supported then you sometime don't get OTA updates(I may be wrong too). But first step is to check with Sony support as Patrickt mentioned.
in fact, if i launch Xperifirm, my model on the left pane has that firmware .395 (Customized EEA).

I've bought the phone via Amazon.it (i'm from Italy), but the store is situated in London.

Screenshot_20210920-201637.jpg

when i open that link on LTA version, some info appears to me, and at the bottom, russian language is present. Is this normal? I think that my model was intended for russian market, but that store in London imported from Russia and flash the Customized EEA firmware. Is this possible?

Anyway, me too think OTA services are deactivated, at this point.

Last edited:

PPGX5II

in fact, if i launch Xperifirm, my model on the left pane has that firmware .395 (Customized EEA).

I've bought the phone via Amazon.it (i'm from Italy), but the store is situated in London.

View attachment 5414701

when i open that link on LTA version, some info appears to me, and at the bottom, russian language is present. Is this normal? I think that my model was intended for russian market, but that store in London imported from Russia and flash the Customized EEA firmware. Is this possible?

Hmm, looks like it. Create a support topic on Sony mobile forum or chat with support(if available in your region) to check if this device is official under warranty and then follow-up with them to solve the issue.
There can be alternate solution if your device is not officially supported by Sony(use Xperifirm or something like that) but first check if it's under warranty.

KnockOut^9

Sep 10, 2017
Hmm, looks like it. Create a support topic on Sony mobile forum or chat with support(if available in your region) to check if this device is official under warranty and then follow-up with them to solve the issue.
There can be alternate solution if your device is not officially supported by Sony(use Xperifirm or something like that) but first check if it's under warranty.
the truth is... i only want my device works properly. I really like Xperia devices (SP, M5, X, XZ, XZ2 and now this), and i'm really disappointed this time, sorry.

I'm seriously thinking to flashing it with and old firmware with Android 10. Maybe i'm wrong? I don't care, later with future updates, i can always flash it again with updated firmware (hoping for the best). My personal problem is that i'm totally noob in this kind of things, i don't wank risk to ruins my phone.

So, if someone with a bit of patience can help me to flashing and old firmware (i have it already: Android 10 Customized EEA) would do make me a favor. It doesn't matter if my OTA Services would continue to stay deactivated. But, at least, my Xperia should be works great with A10.

Last edited:

KnockOut^9

Sep 10, 2017
i contacted SONY with email, but is not very helpful to me. They say, of course, to send the phone to the original Store in London, or to send it in Verona city (here in Italy) for assistance and repair.

The problem is i have no other spare phone to use, at the moment when my XPeria 5 II will be in Assistency.

Xperifirm show me the different firmwares available for my model (XQ-AS52).
I suppose to download the first, perhaps (?) and flash it.
Every updated firmware there in the list have italian language?

Attachments

• firmware screenshot.jpg
    firmware screenshot.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Cptnfruitloops

Mar 4, 2020
yeah power down and then hold power button and volume down until it vibrates then let go and you will be greeted with recovery and from there you can factory reset your phone. Before you do though log out of google on the phone and remove the device from your account (not required but recomended)

KnockOut^9

Sep 10, 2017
yeah power down and then hold power button and volume down until it vibrates then let go and you will be greeted with recovery and from there you can factory reset your phone. Before you do though log out of google on the phone and remove the device from your account (not required but recomended)
Done, but for now with the smartphone connected on Wifi, no system-updates yet.
No Google account logged in, nothing of nothing, no sim-card inside (i use my number and my account on another phone at the moment), but i don't think all of that is a problem.

I will wait a few hours, 1/2 days perhaps, if the updates don't arrive, i will try again a software-repair with Xperia Companion.

Thanks Cptnfruitloops. If you have other suggetions, i'm all ears.

Cptnfruitloops

Mar 4, 2020
No Google account logged in, nothing of nothing, no sim-card inside (i use my number and my account on another phone at the moment), but i don't think all of that is a problem.

I will wait a few hours, 1/2 days perhaps, if the updates don't arrive, i will try again a software-repair with Xperia Companion.

Perhaps you have the sony update servers somehow blocked on your network. You can contact sony or perhaps try flashing newest firmware

KnockOut^9

Sep 10, 2017
Perhaps you have the sony update servers somehow blocked on your network. You can contact sony or perhaps try flashing newest firmware

yeah, i've used Newflasher (by munjeni) and everything's ok. The problem is that OTA are always blocked. I think this is the situation, basing myself on other users experiences in the Newflasher official thread.

Every new firmware i should flash it manually with Newflasher. This is... a little annoying of course, so i think to flash my phone again in the future, maybe 1 year, when Android 12 is available and perhaps with future updates firmwares, more stable.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would try first factory reset. power button and volume down and factory reset. If that doesnt work you can try and flash the newest europe firmware for your 52 model

My build # is 58.1.A.5.330. I would probably ask Sony why I wasn't getting updates? I might go to Sony Xperia Support and try manually downloading updates.

View attachment 5414701

I would try first factory reset. power button and volume down and factory reset. If that doesnt work you can try and flash the newest europe firmware for your 52 model