• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Stuck at S/W upgrade during update

Search This thread

eatabagel

Aug 12, 2009
Awesome! The method with the KDZ flasher worked for me!

Unfortunately I am unable to describe the process fully. In the middle of it, my boss called me and I had to step away from my computer. But when I got back I was surprised to see that the phone had rebooted into GB!

Here are the steps I followed:
1. Installed and ran the KDZ flasher.
2. That's it.

Sorry I can't describe anymore but at least now we know that we can "unbrick" a pseudo-bricked phone.

CaliLove310

May 20, 2009
Compton

Unfortunately I am unable to describe the process fully. In the middle of it, my boss called me and I had to step away from my computer. But when I got back I was surprised to see that the phone had rebooted into GB!

2. That's it.

Sorry I can't describe anymore but at least now we know that we can "unbrick" a pseudo-bricked phone.

What did you select under type?

eatabagel

Aug 12, 2009
What did you select under type?

TYPE: CDMA (even if these are GSM phones-- this was just a shot in the dark for me since I didn't see GSM)

PhoneMode: DIAG

That's all.. I really am sorry I can't give any more info. It's just that I was called by my boss and I wasn't able to observe the whole process. Lessons for the future: fix phone on own time and not company time so we can watch these things.

When I got back to my desk it was in the familiar Connected to USB screen, already logged in.

Bad news: using this method, we lose all user info. Need to reinstall all apps. I don't even know if my SMSes and images are in there. Haven't had a chance to explore further. It's like a factory wipe.

But I am glad I do not have a brick.

phatdeejay16

Feb 12, 2011
TYPE: CDMA (even if these are GSM phones-- this was just a shot in the dark for me since I didn't see GSM)

PhoneMode: DIAG

That's all.. I really am sorry I can't give any more info. It's just that I was called by my boss and I wasn't able to observe the whole process. Lessons for the future: fix phone on own time and not company time so we can watch these things.

When I got back to my desk it was in the familiar Connected to USB screen, already logged in.

Bad news: using this method, we lose all user info. Need to reinstall all apps. I don't even know if my SMSes and images are in there. Haven't had a chance to explore further. It's like a factory wipe.

But I am glad I do not have a brick.

was your phone in the s/w upgrade screen when you ran kdz?

speedsk8x

Apr 20, 2011
Sorry I misunderstood your question. The phone was in the stuck Software upgrade screen and powered on.

So you never powered off, or removed the battery after the LG Updater failed on you? You just went straight into the KDZ updater and pushed it through?

I think that's what sets you apart from us. We all removed the battery or powered off after it froze.

eatabagel

Aug 12, 2009
You're not being patient enough. I almost gave up, but after 10 minutes of seeing the s/w upgrade screen, its started to go.

No actually for most of the people in this predicament, we actually encountered an error in the upgrade process that interrupted it. In my case, I think I had a USB cable failure (bad cable). Try flashing a new ROM and unplugging the USB cable... it's like a freeway to bricksville (no I didn't do that-- I just had a bad cable).

So you never powered off, or removed the battery after the LG Updater failed on you? You just went straight into the KDZ updater and pushed it through?

I think that's what sets you apart from us. We all removed the battery or powered off after it froze.

No, I actually did a battery pull. After I got the initial error, I made several attempts of battery pulling and restarting, volume up/powering on, volume down/powering on, with battery, without battery... I managed to get it to work only after using the KDZ flasher and not relying on the LG Updater. How? I don't know. Like many people here this was a result of desperation and trying everything.

the00guy

Jul 14, 2010

2. That's it.

What operating system did you run KDZ in?

the00guy

Jul 14, 2010
Digging out an XP laptop and trying on that. Not sure if the crash is due to win7 x64, even if using compatibility mode.

I think that this is my issue. I keep having one of the programs crash in Windows 7 x64, and one of the faulting modules in my Event Viewer is kernell32.dll, in the SYSWOW64 directory, making me think it's a x64 issue. Trying it in a virtual windows xp environment next.

eatabagel

Aug 12, 2009
Yeah let's see... other info I can think of.

- I am using Windows XP SP3.
- My phone was never rooted prior to this, everything was stock.

Also I don't know what everyone else's experience was but when I first encountered the interruption of the update process and I first attempted to restart the original update process with the LG Updater, it entered Emergency Mode and asked me for my IMEI and serial numbers. And then after that, it told me it couldn't complete the update because something was terminally wrong. That's when I tried the KDZ flasher method.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solution!

As many have stated, pushing the v21E_00.kdz via the KDZ_FW_UPD program does work. It's just touchy.

This is a step by step guide to get you back in to working shape.

Note: You MUST do this via a PC running Windows XP. Running Vista/7 in compatibility mode is not going to work, period.

Edit: As an alternative, a virtual environment running XP will do the job. Those steps are up to you.

Part 1: Download the files you will need below.

V21E_00.kdz
    KDZ_FW_UPD_EN
    One-Click-G2x-recovery-flasher-06-16.rar
    LG USB Drivers G2x

Part 2:

1) Install the LG G2x USB drivers to your WinXP machine.
    2) Extract the entire contents of the One-Click recovery in to a folder and keep it handy.
    3) Remove the battery from the phone. Hold both volume buttons and plug in the USB cable. If you are asked for a driver, look in the APX folder where you extracted the One-Click recovery archive.
    4) Run OneClickRecoveryFlasher.exe and flash the stock recovery. Wait for the process to finish and close all windows and unplug the phone.
    Edit: It's been reported that some users have been able to boot in to their old rom after this point. If you can, you're done. Go
    back and put CWR on and flash whatever you want. If you are still stuck, continue this guide.

5) Put the battery back into the phone and turn it on. You will be back at the S/W Upgrade screen. This is where you want to be! Now plug the USB cable back in to the phone. If everything is up to snuff you should have no driver problems at this point.
    6) Extract KDZ_FW_UPD_EN.7z in to a folder. Inside is a msxml.msi. You need to run and install this first!
    7) Run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe.. Leave the type set to CDMA and the phone mode set to DIAG. DO NOT CLICK ON "Read phone information"
    8) Click the folder icon and load the V21E_00.kdz
    9) Click launch software update (and pray!)

What you will see:

The log window will immediatly show:
    22:41:02 : Launching SW update
    22:41:02 : Unpacking KDZ

Then it will stop for a while.
    After this you will most likely see:
    22:41:16 : KDZ file extraced
    22:41:21 : Files were extracted.
    22:41:21 : LGMobileDL Load.
    22:41:21 : Port = 5
    22:41:21 : Connecting to phone
    22:41:33 : Check Phone mode = 1

It will pause again before you see:
    22:42:08 : Phone type check.......
    22:42:08 : LGMobileDL.DLL Loading....
    22:42:08 : _SetAuthMark Fail
    22:42:08 : AuthMark°¡ Á¤È®È÷ Phone¿¡ Write µÇÁö ¾Ê¾Ò½À´Ï´Ù!
    22:42:08 : _SetAuthMark Fail
    22:42:08 : LoadCDMAPhoneData() Error
    22:42:08 : _DetachDLL Call
    22:42:08 : _DetachDLL Call End
    22:42:08 : Param : Path = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\V21E.wdb
    22:42:08 : Param : moduleDir =
    22:42:08 : Param : waitTime = 33000
    22:42:08 : Param : UsbHighSpeed = 0
    22:42:08 : Param : PhoneMode = 1
    22:42:08 : Param : BinVersion = V21E_00
    22:42:08 : Param : AuthMark = 0
    22:42:08 : Call fn_StartUpgrade

Finally after another pause you should start to get spammed by the following message:
    22:42:41 : CDMA: wParam = 2007, lParam = 0
    22:42:41 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2007, 0)

You will even hear the USB disconnect/reconnect sound several times.
    The sound and spam will continue until the lParam counts to 100.
    It should look like:
    22:46:25 : CDMA: wParam = 2005, lParam = 100
    22:46:25 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2005, 100)
    22:46:25 : CDMA: wParam = 2001, lParam = 0
    22:46:25 : Model Dll Msg Not Found(2001, 0)

After it gets to 100, your phone will reboot to the LG logo before going
    blank. After a few moments of the blank screen you will get the TMO G2x splash before being dropped back in to your working phone.

Be patient as this takes a while. If at any point the program freezes for more than a few moments, it's most likely going to fail and you will need to try again.

Hope this helps. =)

Thanks to everyone who helped figure this out.

Edit: Added some missing info.
    Check out post #112 of this tread and see if those steps work for you!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=15878353&postcount=112

the only thing wrong is step 5. after putting your battery back in, you will not be at the s/w upgrade screen. you will boot to whatever rom you flashed last. now is when you proceed to flash gingerbread.
    forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=810271
    Dnwld and I stall that program then dwnld that kdz file I posted a couple post back and use that program to Install the kdz file that's the gb update see if that works might need to be in recovery for the phone to connect to pc

Sent from a guy living in a van down by the river
    13:30:21 : Param : Path = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LGMOBILEAX\Phone\V21E.wdb
    try sticking the kdz file in that path
    Cannot flash CWM as the USB device is not found. The device is plugged in and found in the LG update tool. No idea....

I can flash either stock or clockworkmod from the apx loader by holding volume up and down, then plugging in the phone without the battery and using the nvflasher to flash whatever recovery I want.