• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Stuck in boot loop even after factory reset. Able to get into bootloader and recovery

Search This thread

cgibsong002

Apr 12, 2011
PA
Hoping for some help or alternatives to fix my fiancee's Pixel XL. Last night the phone just kept flashing the 'G' logo on for 10 seconds, off for 10 seconds. She said the phone was close to dying before it happened, and I imagine it probably ended up draining the battery afterwards with the constant bootloop. Plugged it in all night but the charging screen didn't come up and would just stay in the bootloop. I could get it into the boot loader (power button and volume down), but it wouldn't go into recovery mode and instead would go right back to the boot loop.

So I tried a battery pack to charge it and it still didn't show charging, but I was able to get it into recovery mode eventually, but still boot loop afterwards. At one point, after leaving it on boot loader menu while attempting to charge, it eventually just tried to start itself and made its way to the second Google splash screen after the main G logo. Looked like it froze there though and I couldn't get it to that point again.

On my way to work this morning I tried plugging it into my car's USB port after powering off from the boot loader, and this time I kept flashing that it was charging (looked like it was 3/4 charged but not sure how accurate that is). So I got into recovery again and tried 3 factory resets consecutively. Still bootloop after attempting a startup afterwards. There was a similar issue a couple weeks ago where it looked like it was stuck in a bootloop, but it turned out the phone actually was dead that time and the charger wasn't working. Once we switched chargers it booted right up.

Any other suggestions or possibilities? I don't have much troubleshooting experience otherwise. Phone is fully stock, Google Fi. Any other info I can provide please let me know!

cgibsong002

Apr 12, 2011
PA
well, i'm not sure if it makes a difference, but now for some reason i can't get into recovery mode again. just goes into the boot loop. It also goes into the boot loop as soon as I plug the phone in to charge.

cgibsong002

Apr 12, 2011
PA
I have always been about to get into the boot loader. Actually i can get into recovery again as well. Seems if i let it sit for a while it'll go to recovery again. Maybe heat related.

tecsironman

Sep 12, 2009
My OG Pixel did the same thing to me one morning. I tried everything to revive my pixel but nothing worked. I did some digging and it turns out there is an issue with the storage on the phone. It's just a old fancy paper weight.

cgibsong002

Apr 12, 2011
PA
If you can get into recovery, have you tried to sideload a full ota.zip (not an update)?

I haven't. I see that Google has all the ota's on their site. Is there a specific one that i might want to try? The same one? Go back a few? Will i even be able to sideload if my phone is fully stock?

Edit: sideload adb successfully but no change. I loaded the 6-5 ota which was what i already had.

Last edited:

mozhno

Apr 16, 2012
Lincoln Nebraska
I haven't. I see that Google has all the ota's on their site. Is there a specific one that i might want to try? The same one? Go back a few? Will i even be able to sideload if my phone is fully stock?

Edit: sideload adb successfully but no change. I loaded the 6-5 ota which was what i already had.

Sounds as if it's time to just try stuff and see what sticks. Regarding using an ota, it works if you are stock, and I sideload it even if I have installed majisk or installed another kernel. It typically works for me with fewer chances of blowing things up than flashing a stock image. Regarding what to try next, you may have already gone into recovery to check the install function to see if your storage still appears and try to flash anything that worked in the past; if you have a backup in twrp you could try to restore it; you could wipe cache and dahlvik; or even sideload an earlier ota version that worked. Since the 6-5 ota did not work nothing really jumps out to me as obvious. One final caveat, I once had to reboot a sideloaded ota a second time before my pixel booted properly. If I think of something else I'll post again.

Reactions: cgibsong002

cgibsong002

Apr 12, 2011
PA
I took it to ubreakifix and they told me that this is indeed a known issue with pixel xl's that they all suffered from a faulty motherboard and that is indeed the cause here. Said he thought there was actually a class action about it so I'll have to look into it. Really pisses me off that Google repeatedly told me it's not a known issue when their authorized repair center says it is.

Anyway i have a warranty with Upsie that I'm hoping to get this replaced with. We'll see.

mozhno

Apr 16, 2012
Lincoln Nebraska
I took it to ubreakifix and they told me that this is indeed a known issue with pixel xl's that they all suffered from a faulty motherboard and that is indeed the cause here. Said he thought there was actually a class action about it so I'll have to look into it. Really pisses me off that Google repeatedly told me it's not a known issue when their authorized repair center says it is.

Anyway i have a warranty with Upsie that I'm hoping to get this replaced with. We'll see.

Good luck

Phalanx7621

Jul 17, 2011
Delaware
OnePlus 8 Pro
I'm assuming you tried booting into twrp recovery, going to reboot, and picked slot A ( or B if already in A) to reboot to and then rebooted system? A lot of the times simply switching slots from recovery and then rebooting is the fix. At least for me.

Phalanx7621

Jul 17, 2011
Delaware
OnePlus 8 Pro
Also, for anyone else having this issue, try rebooting into the bootloader. Connect to PC, and try fastboot --set-active=a
If this doesn't work, try booting back into your recovery image using fastboot boot *whatever you named your TWRP recovery image* and then flashing your twrp.zip again in recovery, and when rebooting if you're in slot B choose slot A in recovery to boot into.
Also keep in mind in Windows 10, it uses Powershell, so commands have to be typed in .\fastboot not just fastboot or it won't take it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have always been about to get into the boot loader. Actually i can get into recovery again as well. Seems if i let it sit for a while it'll go to recovery again. Maybe heat related.

If you can get into recovery, have you tried to sideload a full ota.zip (not an update)?

Sounds as if it's time to just try stuff and see what sticks. Regarding using an ota, it works if you are stock, and I sideload it even if I have installed majisk or installed another kernel. It typically works for me with fewer chances of blowing things up than flashing a stock image. Regarding what to try next, you may have already gone into recovery to check the install function to see if your storage still appears and try to flash anything that worked in the past; if you have a backup in twrp you could try to restore it; you could wipe cache and dahlvik; or even sideload an earlier ota version that worked. Since the 6-5 ota did not work nothing really jumps out to me as obvious. One final caveat, I once had to reboot a sideloaded ota a second time before my pixel booted properly. If I think of something else I'll post again.