Question Stuck in fastboot mode which cannot access to recovery/ rescue mode

Search This thread

tonydigimon

May 28, 2023
My phone just got into fastboot mode this morning which I cannot access to recovery/ rescue mode. Everytime I choose the option it will bring me back to the fastboot screen.

I havn't unlocked the bootloader/ OEM previously. Anything I can do to make the phone start working again?

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Supposedly, when I've seen instances like this before (stuck in fastboot mode, can't access recovery mode, locked bootloader, no oem unlock ticked), you might be able to forcibly change slots to the other one. There are 2 slots for this very reason -- supposedly to have a working one when things go to crap (but primarily for OTA and when that doesn't work out right).
IIRC, you don't need an unlocked bootloader to change slots...

If that doesn't work, I'm curious if you'd be able to get into recovery mode using the button combination vs. selecting it from fastboot mode......

Last edited:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Supposedly, when I've seen instances like this before (stuck in fastboot mode, can't access recovery mode, locked bootloader, no oem unlock ticked), you might be able to forcibly change slots to the other one. There are 2 slots for this very reason -- supposedly to have a working one when things go to crap (but primarily for OTA and when that doesn't work out right).
IIRC, you don't need an unlocked bootloader to change slots...
If that doesn't work, I'm curious if you'd be able to get into recovery mode using the button combination vs. selecting it from fastboot mode......
You can't use fastboot commands to change slots when your bootloader is locked. And even if you could, the slot would not be bootable until you flashed the firmware onto it since these aren't dual boot devices. Only the last slot on which you flashed the firmware on will boot.

simplepinoi177

Forum Moderator
Staff member
You can't use fastboot commands to change slots when your bootloader is locked. And even if you could, the slot would not be bootable until you flashed the firmware onto it since these aren't dual boot devices. Only the last slot on which you flashed the firmware on will boot.
I don't see why one would need an unlocked bootloader to change slots (especially considering it can happen on a locked bootloader when OTA's fail)...but I'll take your word for it.

But I understand things differently as @badabing2003 explained the two slot device aspect on these devices that, for the most part, the partitions are intact and accessible when either slot is active -- things depend differently on whether a slot can boot on them or not. If I understood correctly, one doesn't necessarily need to flash the firmware to make a particular slot to become bootable...
But I understood badabing2003's explanation in a very rudimentary sense so....I acknowledge I could very easily be under the wrong impression.....

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
I don't see why one would need an unlocked bootloader to change slots (especially considering it can happen on a locked bootloader when OTA's fail)...but I'll take your word for it.

But I understand things differently as @badabing2003 explained the two slot device aspect on these devices that, for the most part, the partitions are intact and accessible when either slot is active -- things depend differently on whether a slot can boot on them or not. If I understood correctly, one doesn't necessarily need to flash the firmware to make a particular slot to become bootable...
But I understood badabing2003's explanation in a very rudimentary sense so....I acknowledge I could very easily be under the wrong impression.....
When you flash the factory image the system_other.img gets moved to the inactive slot, basically making that slot unbootable until you flash the firmware onto that slot.

badabing2003

Recognized Contributor
Sep 17, 2012

As @Lughnasadh says, only one slot is bootable, so switching even if it was possible don't help.
System of the inactive slot gets overwritten with optimized Dex files to be copied on first boot.
And even if one manually skips the system_other partition, avb doesn't allow you to boot on newer devices.
I managed to make it work on Pixel XL, but couldn't on newer devices.

Bryanx86

Apr 8, 2016
👽
Google Pixel 7 Pro
My phone just got into fastboot mode this morning which I cannot access to recovery/ rescue mode. Everytime I choose the option it will bring me back to the fastboot screen.

I havn't unlocked the bootloader/ OEM previously. Anything I can do to make the phone start working again?
if you cant use the volume buttons to access recovery from the bootloader, and you did nothing to the device, you should be able to return to google and get a new one depending on where you bought it

WoKoschekk

Feb 25, 2019
Cologne
Moto G6
Moto G6 Plus
Wouldn't slots change automatically upon boot failure? Isn't that the point?
Only right after an update. If the updated slot once is marked as "boot successfully" than the bootloader won't change to the inactive slot in case the active one is unbootable. It's only a rollback option for corrupted updates. But not a rollback for corrupted devices.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: As tested by @badabing2003 on his Pixel 5, and tested on my Pixel 6 Pro & Pixel 7 Pro, it appears that if you sideload the full OTA to both slots you can switch back and forth between slots without having to first flash the firmware. This was done using the same monthly build.

What I did was:

Started with:
    Platform Tools 33.0.3
    A13 (May) (installed using flash-all.bat)
    Rooted with Stable Magisk 26.1
    Active slot=b

Sideloaded the A13 (May) full OTA
    Booted up
    Not rooted (of course)
    Active slot=a
    Then rooted with Stable Magisk 26.1

Switched slots to b (where firmware was installed via flash-all.bat method)
    Tried to boot into that slot but it failed
    Booted back into bootloader
    Set slot back to a
    Sideloaded the A13 (May) full OTA

Booted up
    Not rooted
    Active slot=b

Then switched slots to a and booted successfully
    Slot a still rooted

Then switched slots to b and booted successfully
    Slot b still not rooted

Then switched slots again back to a and booted successfully
    Slot a still rooted

I know this is off topic to the OP's problem, but just thought I'd add this information given the earlier discussions.

When you flash the factory image the system_other.img gets moved to the inactive slot, basically making that slot unbootable until you flash the firmware onto that slot.

As @Lughnasadh says, only one slot is bootable, so switching even if it was possible don't help.
    System of the inactive slot gets overwritten with optimized Dex files to be copied on first boot.
    And even if one manually skips the system_other partition, avb doesn't allow you to boot on newer devices.
    I managed to make it work on Pixel XL, but couldn't on newer devices.
    Only right after an update. If the updated slot once is marked as "boot successfully" than the bootloader won't change to the inactive slot in case the active one is unbootable. It's only a rollback option for corrupted updates. But not a rollback for corrupted devices.
    The main point for having 2 slots (A/B partitions) is for seamless OTA updates.