Stuck in spinning circles after updating to OOS 5.0 Oreo OTA

Search This thread

Deathmist_

Sep 30, 2017
Hello! I just updated to the latest OTA of OOS 5.0 and now the phone is just stuck on the screen where the white dots spin around :( I tried clearing cache, wiped "System settings" via Oxygen Recovery and no luck. I sideloaded the zip to my device and flashed it over the one I had on it previously. I followed this guide https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-5/how-to/guide-restore-data-stuck-bootloop-n-o-t3724515 without any results! :( This is ridiculous. I just wanted to update to Oreo. Here are my phone details: https://imgur.com/a/n4rtR I am unsure what to try next. Should I wipe /system and flash the previous ROM zip file and try that? I can see my files but they are completely encrypted thanks to OOS, but only can I see them in Oxygen Recovery; TWRP shows nothing. Suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• op_forums_footer.jpg
    op_forums_footer.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 150
I was on OOS 4.5.15 with Magisk root and TWRP. Last night, uninstalled Magisk and I flashed stock recovery to update my phone. Even though I cleared cache and Dalvik, boot loop happened.
Only after a full reset, the phone boot normally. Since I had all important files backed up, I did not loose anything but it still bothers me. There should have been a more streamlined update process.

Last edited:

azeem40

Jun 13, 2013
Frisco
I was on OOS 4.5.15 with Magisk root and TWRP. Last night, uninstalled Magisk and I flashed stock recovery to updated my phone. Even though I cleared cache and Dalvik boot loop happened.
Only after a full reset, the phone boot normally. Since I had all important files backed up, I did not loose anything but it still bothers me. There should have been a more streamlined update process.

You have to do a full wipe (system, data, internal storage, and both cache) when going from Nougat to Oreo. That is the only way.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone