Question Stuck on 11/22 security patch?

Search This thread
This may already be well known, but if you have Google Fi or T-Mobile (MetroPCS, Mint, etc.} or any other MVNO of T-Mobile, you'll be stuck on November 2022 security patch: apparently Dec & Jan update screws up Google Fi and T-Mobile ESIM capabilities, and so they pulled the update. I use Mint mobile, so I searched around and found out all I had to do was slap in a non-Google Fi or T-Mobile SIM card (I used an old inactive Verizon SIM), and immediately when checking for an update after doing so I got the Dec/22, then Jan/23 updates. I don't use an ESIM, so it won't affect me. If you use an ESIM, do a little research before you try it because I don't know how it affects it.

Last edited:
Reactions: manjaroid

manjaroid

Jun 25, 2019
...all I had to do was slap in a non-Google Fi or T-Mobile SIM card (I used an old inactive Verizon SIM), and immediately when checking for an update after doing so I got the Dec/22, then Jan/23 updates.
Nice trickery!

I'm a little confused about the general problem. Is the Pixel 7 delay about the same problem affecting Pixel 5 when switching between 4G and 5G? FWIW, instead of OTA push updates I just flash the latest firmware and with January's update I have no 4G/5G switching problems using a Mint SIM card.

Nice trickery!

I'm a little confused about the general problem. Is the Pixel 7 delay about the same problem affecting Pixel 5 when switching between 4G and 5G? FWIW, instead of OTA push updates I just flash the latest firmware and with January's update I have no 4G/5G switching problems using a Mint SIM card.
It's affecting other Pixel models yes, and from what a read it has to do with ESIM compatibility with Google FI & T-Mobile and so they're holding back the update (the carriers are). I use an actual SIM and just wanted the update. I shut off 5G for better battery, just don't need it. I would've just flashed the update because it's slow OTA (or is it just the phone?), but I haven't bothered to find out how to do it. The 2 updates I got (Jan & Dec) took like 45 min each.

Last edited:

kevinireland11

Apr 10, 2014
Samsung Galaxy S21
Google Pixel 7
This may already be well known, but if you have Google Fi or T-Mobile (MetroPCS, Mint, etc.} or any other MVNO of T-Mobile, you'll be stuck on November 2022 security patch: apparently Dec & Jan update screws up Google Fi and T-Mobile ESIM capabilities, and so they pulled the update. I use Mint mobile, so I searched around and found out all I had to do was slap in a non-Google Fi or T-Mobile SIM card (I used an old inactive Verizon SIM), and immediately when checking for an update after doing so I got the Dec/22, then Jan/23 updates. I don't use an ESIM, so it won't affect me. If you use an ESIM, do a little research before you try it because I don't know how it affects it.
Just got the update there now
Screenshot_20230130-235120.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.