Stuck on Huawei logo, soft bricked

Search This thread

NoBackupIdiot

Jun 24, 2021
Hi!

So firstly, please accept my apologies for being absolutely nooby - I haven't actually been on a forum for a very long time and things have very much changed since. I have tried to search for a fix for a very long time and haven't actually found anything that worked.

I have a Huawei P20 Lite since June 2019 and it has been working fine-ish. I have never done anything special for it, just a standard user.

So, from my nickname you can tell what problem I have experienced. My phone died and nope, my data never got backed up. Whilst scrolling through facebook, the screen froze for quite a few seconds, so I thought I'd give my little phone a reset. Held the power button for a few seconds, it switched off and started powering back up - nice. It started powering up two days ago now and never actually booted up. And no, I did not drop it in my toilet.

It's not stuck on a bootloop as far as I am aware - it doesn't actually switch off and on, just gets stuck on Huawei logo until battery runs out. If I hold the button to power it off, it just powers back on and gets stuck. Nothing works - no safe/recovery mode, can't factory reset it if I wanted to. The furthest I got is the "fastboot&rescue mode" but Hisuite recovery doesn't support this device (what's the point). Left it to drain the battery too, hoping that a little rest would help. Nope.

I went to a phone repair shop and apparently someone had a similar problem, changing the battery worked for them. Had that done today and nope, nothing changed.

I don't mind the phone being bricked, as I was due an upgrade any time soon. It is the data, however, that I would love to access again. I have tried all of the free programs available, but they either support Samsung only or the device doesn't get detected. I don't think that I have the USB debugging enabled either.

I have never played with rooting, kernels and all of that, but I am willing to learn if there is a way via those to actually access my data. So no, I'm not looking for someone to type up a magical manual on how to do that for me, I'm not that lazy. All I kind of want to find out I guess if there is any point for me to continue my research, which I have spent quite a while on already, and if so, where should I start.

Again, so sorry if I am posting this in a completely wrong place!

Thanks all.

-Alf-

Sep 28, 2017
Huawei P9 Lite
Huawei P10 Lite
Hi!

So firstly, please accept my apologies for being absolutely nooby - I haven't actually been on a forum for a very long time and things have very much changed since. I have tried to search for a fix for a very long time and haven't actually found anything that worked.

I have a Huawei P20 Lite since June 2019 and it has been working fine-ish. I have never done anything special for it, just a standard user.

So, from my nickname you can tell what problem I have experienced. My phone died and nope, my data never got backed up. Whilst scrolling through facebook, the screen froze for quite a few seconds, so I thought I'd give my little phone a reset. Held the power button for a few seconds, it switched off and started powering back up - nice. It started powering up two days ago now and never actually booted up. And no, I did not drop it in my toilet.

It's not stuck on a bootloop as far as I am aware - it doesn't actually switch off and on, just gets stuck on Huawei logo until battery runs out. If I hold the button to power it off, it just powers back on and gets stuck. Nothing works - no safe/recovery mode, can't factory reset it if I wanted to. The furthest I got is the "fastboot&rescue mode" but Hisuite recovery doesn't support this device (what's the point). Left it to drain the battery too, hoping that a little rest would help. Nope.

I went to a phone repair shop and apparently someone had a similar problem, changing the battery worked for them. Had that done today and nope, nothing changed.

I don't mind the phone being bricked, as I was due an upgrade any time soon. It is the data, however, that I would love to access again. I have tried all of the free programs available, but they either support Samsung only or the device doesn't get detected. I don't think that I have the USB debugging enabled either.

I have never played with rooting, kernels and all of that, but I am willing to learn if there is a way via those to actually access my data. So no, I'm not looking for someone to type up a magical manual on how to do that for me, I'm not that lazy. All I kind of want to find out I guess if there is any point for me to continue my research, which I have spent quite a while on already, and if so, where should I start.

Again, so sorry if I am posting this in a completely wrong place!

Thanks all.
IMO your emmc memory is dead (btw known issue on Kirin 659 devices) .
@XDHx86 is right :( .

NoBackupIdiot

Jun 24, 2021
IMO your emmc memory is dead (btw known issue on Kirin 659 devices) .
@XDHx86 is right :( .

That's a shame :/ Is there any way to check and confirm that it is in fact the faulty part (i.e. whether a phone repair place would have the knowledge/devices required to confirm the diagnostics)? That would sort of reassure me at least...

I did find a company that deals with data recovery, obv quite pricey but I guess they do have the technology needed.

-Alf-

Sep 28, 2017
Huawei P9 Lite
Huawei P10 Lite
That's a shame :/ Is there any way to check and confirm that it is in fact the faulty part (i.e. whether a phone repair place would have the knowledge/devices required to confirm the diagnostics)? That would sort of reassure me at least...

I did find a company that deals with data recovery, obv quite pricey but I guess they do have the technology needed.
the problem is not the emmc itself (it is possible to dump the emmc even if it is dead) , the problem is that internal storage is encrypted by default , using f2fs and FBE (File Based Encryption). . So if you read such storage chip from Huawei, you'll see a valid filesystem, but 99% of the files will be encrypted individually, including also file and directory names (also my own experience :().
If motherboard is dead, worst case scenario is swapping CPU and storage chip onto a working board.
P.S.: I hope I am wrong and you can solve this problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

NoBackupIdiot

Jun 24, 2021
the problem is not the emmc itself (it is possible to dump the emmc even if it is dead) , the problem is that internal storage is encrypted by default , using f2fs and FBE (File Based Encryption). . So if you read such storage chip from Huawei, you'll see a valid filesystem, but 99% of the files will be encrypted individually, including also file and directory names (also my own experience :().
If motherboard is dead, worst case scenario is swapping CPU and storage chip onto a working board.
P.S.: I hope I am wrong and you can solve this problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Well, thank you for taking your time to read my post and giving such detailed replies. :)

I'll do my "chuck it in the wardrobe for a few months" method (worked wonders for my laptop which had such a bad system issue it wouldn't boot either, after a few months I turned it on and it worked as it never happened, but the good thing with that one was that if was trying to do a self diagnostics at least). If that doesn't work, I'm gonna call around some phone shops to see if they want to play around with parts. If all fails, I'll probably be okay with the losses at that point - the most valuable things for me I would have sent on at some point somewhere, so I can just go back to those and contact people :) if I feel like it, I may try one of the data recovery companies, but they seem to be mainly recovering hard drives (had two reviews about phones - with one they managed, with one it failed).

So yeah, thank you so much and if anything resolves the issue, I'll definitely post it here :)

XDHx86

Nov 1, 2017
openuserjs.org
Samsung Galaxy Star

Maybe there is a vulnerability to get decryption key from the memory on device boot, like the freeze one.
But that means you'll have to boot to the system, but your device is bricked, so it's an incomplete boot, or maybe it won't boot at all.
Don't waste time and money on false hope mate.
If it's possible to recover data like that, that would be the worst security issue I ever saw. As data should be encrypted.

NoBackupIdiot

Jun 24, 2021
Maybe there is a vulnerability to get decryption key from the memory on device boot, like the freeze one.
But that means you'll have to boot to the system, but your device is bricked, so it's an incomplete boot, or maybe it won't boot at all.
Don't waste time and money on false hope mate.
If it's possible to recover data like that, that would be the worst security issue I ever saw. As data should be encrypted.
Haha yes I was wondering that - unless you have to prove to them that it is, in fact, your data before they return it to you. As I said above, for one person it worked on the phone, for other it didn't. The good thing is - if they can't recover, I don't pay for it. The only charge I'd have to cover is the shipping to and from. Which isn't too bad.