Stuck on September 2020 AT&T Security update on my S20 FE 5G.

Search This thread

sjvirchow

Jan 19, 2012
Seattle, WA
According to this page on AT&T's website my security patch on my S20 FE 5G should be for December and for Android 11 but mine is at September. I got my phone in early November. This is a screenshot showing the September patch.

Whats going on?

EDIT: I don't know if its supposed to work this way, but when I go to Software Update and then Check for Update. There's no screen saying "checking for updates" or anything. It goes immediately to the "Current software is up to date" screen.

Uhh, no it isn't up to date.

I finally got fed up and did a full factory reset of the phone, also went to an AT&T store and got a new SIM card. Started completely from scratch. I go to check for updates, and I get "Your current software is up to date. No it isn't. I should have Android 11 by now. Does AT&T's firmware only let you check for updates once every 24 hours or something? I need these updates, they're security patches made for a reason.

How do I fix this?

raptor1983

May 12, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
For the US branded model you can download the firmware from Frija. Use SM-G781U for the model and USC as CSC (latest firmware available is G781USQU1CTLD). All the branded firmware are the same and the CSC will be loaded automatically based on your SIM card (I suppose ATT). You can flash the firmware using Odin (I have used v3.14.1_3B_PatcheD). Select the correct files for BL, AP, CP. For CSC use the HOME_CSC file if you want to keep you data. Leave USERDATA blank. After flashing the firmware, do a wipe cache partition from recovery mode and you will have Android 11.

Of course do it at your own risk. You can also follow this guide below:

steveo314

Nov 10, 2010
Saint Louis
For the US branded model you can download the firmware from Frija. Use SM-G781U for the model and USC as CSC (latest firmware available is G781USQU1CTLD). All the branded firmware are the same and the CSC will be loaded automatically based on your SIM card (I suppose ATT). You can flash the firmware using Odin (I have used v3.14.1_3B_PatcheD). Select the correct files for BL, AP, CP. For CSC use the HOME_CSC file if you want to keep you data. Leave USERDATA blank. After flashing the firmware, do a wipe cache partition from recovery mode and you will have Android 11.

Followed this to get to the last update for Android 10 for the S20 FE. I'm going to go to a uBreakiFix to see where they'd get it to as far as Android 11. The USC firmware for Android 11 that samfw has for doesn't match the firmware for ATT. The last 4 of the firmware name. Is it an issue if an ATT S20 FE would be on the USC CTLD instead of ATT CTL9? Or TMB CUAA instead of ATT CUA9?

Last edited:

squallsensei

Mar 28, 2011

I have the bootloader locked, I can't do it with odin

squallsensei

Mar 28, 2011
Can you get into Download mode?
I get something similar to that instead of the "download mode"
90p8cb5wz6i51.jpg

raptor1983

May 12, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Followed this to get to the last update for Android 10 for the S20 FE. I'm going to go to a uBreakiFix to see where they'd get it to as far as Android 11. The USC firmware for Android 11 that samfw has for doesn't match the firmware for ATT. The last 4 of the firmware name. Is it an issue if an ATT S20 FE would be on the USC CTLD instead of ATT CTL9? Or TMB CUAA instead of ATT CUA9?
I've used the CTLD for a couple of days with no issues (and no notification for further updates). Btw, I own an unbranded G781U1 and was using the ATT G781U branded firmware to get the Wi-Fi calling work. Now I'm back to unbranded firmware XAA because Wi-Fi calling is working on Android 11 unbranded.

Last edited:

steveo314

Nov 10, 2010
Saint Louis
I've used the CTLD for a couple of days with no issues (and no notification for further updates). Btw, I own an unbranded G781U1 and was using the ATT G781U branded firmware to get the Wi-Fi calling work. Now I'm back to unbranded firmware XAA because Wi-Fi calling is working on Android 11 unbranded.
CTL(D) was the first Android 11 update for the US S20 FE. CUA(A) is the second update. I find it curious that ATT makes the unlocked firmware available through the firmware repos but not the locked version.

lokofly

Sep 20, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
D for a couple of days with no issues (and

Im trying to get my unlocked G781U (ATT) device to run U1 software in order to use wifi calling. Im having no luck. Can you elaborate what you did? I used patched Odin to flash U1 and Im not getting the option. Im using FirstNet by the way, in case it matters.

lokofly

Sep 20, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Which firmware are you on right now?
This morning I flashed DUC1 for USC. I believe the issue is with the carrier sim. When I inserted my FirstNet the wifi calling wasn't available. I switched over to a Ting sim (T-Mobile MVNO), and wifi calling automatically appeared. I'm not sure if I need an orange ATT sim in order to activate wifi calling with XAA or USC firmware. Looks like FirstNet sim will only activate wifi calling with ATT firmware.

just a little info about our firmware...... All carrier variant sm-781U AP BL CP CSC and HOME are identical..... the difference is the USER DATA file which has all the carrier bloat and carrier specific stuff so you can use any of the
SPR
United States
TMB
United States
TMK
United States
USC
United States
XAS

obviously if you have a carrier locked sim carrier locked options wont work.... now if you have unlocked phone and flash the SM-781U1 XAA which you can also flash to a locked phone because the files are exactly the same... no warranty trip knox or whatever..... on the unlocked firmware the actual sim card u are using triggers the carrier provising and loads splash screen and carrier crap.....so if u have a different sim card and want att wifi flash unlocked firmware sm-781U1 XAA all four files.... then go back and flash ONLY the USERDATA from the sm-781U....
will not carrier unlock or unlock bootloader and if you updated to oneUI 3.1 no bootloader unlock available even with the paid method... I did it today on April 1 security patch links above... now my next adventure is running root from Termux with locked bootloader un rooted......

ALSO USC is AT&T

Last edited:

shafi1885

Apr 18, 2021
Xiaomi Mi 3
Xiaomi Mi 9 SE
According ... ... (omitted those lines in order to look cleaner)
Brother, could you please tell me which software version you are currently on? I have bought AT&T version SM-G781U, and haven't received any update, currently One UI version 2.5 and android 10, My baseband version is : G781USQU1ATK1 (what's yours ? is it same in yours one too? ) Android Security Patch Level is : November 01, 2020.
but s20 fe 5g is on android 11 and oneui 3.1, why am I not getting update?

Top Liked Posts