• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Stuck on the black screen - power on doesn't work, only Recovery and Download works

Search This thread

Doman

Jan 13, 2007
Hello.

I've been playing with some custom ROMs, recoveries, etc. on S10 SM-G973F. Every time something went wrong I was able to flash stock Android 11 ROM with Odin and run the system after that. But not anymore...

At this moment I have access to Recovery Mode (stock, TWRP, LineageOS... whichever I flash with Odin) and Download Mode. When I try to power on the phone with button or with an option Boot to System from Recovery the phone turns off and nothing else happens. Black screen only, no vibration, etc.

I tried to format data and cache in Stock Recovery and TWRP. I tried to flash many time, changed USB cable, change USB port... nothing helps.

What is strange that after I flash the stock recovery the phone boots one time displaying the unlocked bootloader warning, Samsung logo and Android robot icon with an Erasing sign... but just for a 1-2s, very short time. Before the problem occurred the Erasing took much much more time. After that one time I cannot make to display bootloader unlocked warning and Samsung logo any more, no matter which ROM or recovery I flash.

Doman

Jan 13, 2007
That is what I do in the first place, I try to flash the original firmware with Odin. I use the same files as before. The only difference I can see is that after the flashing the Erase progress was very long and now it is only 1-2s and the phone turns off.

Doman

Jan 13, 2007
Ok, I've found my mistake and a solution. I will post it here if anyone else has a similar problem.

So while I was playing with different ROMs one of them had an instruction to flash G973FXXSCFUH5-twrp_flashable.zip that included:
modem.bin
dt.img
dtbo.img
cm.bin
sboot.bin
up_param.bin
keystorage.bin
uh.bin

The zip included was to an older firmware G973FXXSCFUH5, while I was already on newer G973FXXSEFUJ2. But the TWRP that I used to flash the zip did not protest and the process finished well. Causing the problems above of course.

Don't know why but flashing the whole original G973FXXSEFUJ2 firmware with Odin was not enough. But when I flashed G973FXXSEFUJ2-twrp_flashable.zip from the TWRP worked and made the phone operational again.

FabienGege

Oct 13, 2021
hello, I am in the same situation after having wanted to install blastui I find myself with the possibility of starting only in dow load or in twrp. Can you help me

Doman

Jan 13, 2007
hello, I am in the same situation after having wanted to install blastui I find myself with the possibility of starting only in dow load or in twrp. Can you help me

0. Make sure your phone is charged!
1. Check your current SW# in Download mode (the number stands for the number or letter in firmware code, the 5th sign from the end in hexadecimal, for example SW# 14 is E in G973FXXSEFUJ2_G973FOXMEFUJ2)
2. Find the proper version of bootloader and modem in ....-twrp_flashable.zip format (check here: https://github.com/corsicanu/9820-bootloaders_and_modems/releases)
3. Flash and run TWRP recovery.
4. Flash the zip file from #2.

Flashing the stock firmware with Odin was not enough for me. Flashing with TWRP made the S10 back to alive.

Mohammed_9564

Oct 18, 2018
0. Make sure your phone is charged!
1. Check your current SW# in Download mode (the number stands for the number or letter in firmware code, the 5th sign from the end in hexadecimal, for example SW# 14 is E in G973FXXSEFUJ2_G973FOXMEFUJ2)
2. Find the proper version of bootloader and modem in ....-twrp_flashable.zip format (check here: https://github.com/corsicanu/9820-bootloaders_and_modems/releases)
3. Flash and run TWRP recovery.
4. Flash the zip file from #2.

Flashing the stock firmware with Odin was not enough for me. Flashing with TWRP made the S10 back to alive.
Hello brother can you please explain it again to me? My English is terrible and i hope you understand that.

Doman

Jan 13, 2007
Hello brother can you please explain it again to me? My English is terrible and i hope you understand that.
There is not much more to explain, just follow the steps I pointed. If any of them are not clear enough just ask, but I tried to make them as simple as possible :) If your English is not to well just try to use Google Translator.

Mohammed_9564

Oct 18, 2018
There is not much more to explain, just follow the steps I pointed. If any of them are not clear enough just ask, but I tried to make them as simple as possible :) If your English is not to well just try to
There is not much more to explain, just follow the steps I pointed. If any of them are not clear enough just ask, but I tried to make them as simple as possible :) If your English is not to well just try to use Google Translator.
Oh man Thanks a lot for your reply i actually managed to do it 2 days ago and it worked thanks to your help again, but i have another question if it's not too much trouble for you, how can i go back to the stock room ? Can i just do it via Odin or is there another way to do it.

Doman

Jan 13, 2007
Oh man Thanks a lot for your reply i actually managed to do it 2 days ago and it worked thanks to your help again, but i have another question if it's not too much trouble for you, how can i go back to the stock room ? Can i just do it via Odin or is there another way to do it.
Best way to go back to stock rom is simply flash it with Odin from original files available from Samsung, for example on SamMobile:
https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s10/firmware/#SM-G973F