• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Stuck uploading APK to Lineage 18 ROM (read to the end)

Search This thread

thebic

Jun 3, 2021

Preamble​

I oft find in various forums that people are so filled with the milk of human kindness that they just can't wait to help, ( or may gain a few more badges~) ignoring everything but the heading.
And in doing so ask foolish questions.
So, please DO READ to the end.

UPDATE

Thanks to @
jwoegerbauer I now know I can't install the Lantern APK via recovery. I must use ADB which I have previously tried but failed.
Obviously, therefore I do not know what I am doing with ADB.

My tasks focus now is to install Lantern APK via ADB with the devices , tools and systems already mentioned. (below)
Unless someone, somewhere knows where I can find a Lantern ZIP file which I can flash. (seems I am good at that now at least~)

Please DO read everything below ladies and gents, my sense of humour and patience does have a limit~

Mobile Device Details

Samsung note 3 originally 9006 Chinese ROM
Rooted via Odin to 9005
Upgraded to Lineage ROM 18
Uploaded pico Gapps
Uploaded Magisk v23

Desktop Machine

Asus P5BSE / Core2 Duo E4400 @ 2.00GHz / 4GB ram / 2TB storage / Linix; Zorin Core 15.3

Project in brief

To install Lantern. (getlantern.org)
Lantern is usually installed via Google play store.
Google is blocked in China.
Downloaded Lantern APK to upload to phone via recovery from SD card.
Recovery does not show the APK in the SD card.
Stuck.

Further info - useful?​

During one of my many attempts to install Lineage following a blog, I wiped the disk in error.
I also suspect I removed the backup of the original Samsung system as when I tried to reboot, TWRP mentioned there was no O/S.

Nothing I could do restored the original.
What was it Macbeth said about being in blood stepped so far?

On my final install of Lineage 18 I seem now to have their Recovery, not TWRP.
I am happy with that, seems no big deal for me, I was able to successfully install the new OS + Gapps. And it is one less APP to install

I also have Magisk installed, the device is in dev mode and - seemingly rooted. (although the App does not explicitly say so)
Using a borrowed SIM card I can connect to the China mobile network system.
I now have a fully functional, working , English language device with Lineage 18.
Brilliant!

My last task is to figure out how to get the Lantern App sorted.
I have downloaded the APK from their official site, several others as well as a supposedly zip file.
Saved to SD card, visible when viewed on Linux, invisible when card is installed in mobile.
I really do not know quite how to proceed from here.

If I have missed anything, sorry, please ask.
Huge thanks to RAIZ from this forum for getting me to this stage and the guys who made Lineage 18 so darn easy to install and seemingly impossible to mess up.
And boy oh boy, believe me, I have really tried over the past few months~!

Last edited:
Solution
OK Finally!

[email protected]:~$ adb devices
List of devices attached
438f904d device

[email protected]:~$ adb install /home/bicyu/Sam-upgrade/lantern-installer/lantern-installer.apk
Performing Streamed Install
Success
[email protected]:~$

I have read so many posts all end with the <adb devices> and on each one I see zilch.
So, for anyone else in this boat, here is my solution.

In developer OPTIONS on your LINEAGEos device scroll down to

DEFAULT USB CONFIGURATION​
Very likely it is set to FILE TRANSFER - mine was.
Change it to USB TETHERING

Then enter < adb devices> in terminal.
You should then see your Android listed.
Proceed with: adb install...

Kenora_I

Jun 12, 2021
Ireland
Redmi 7A
Samsung Galaxy A21s

Mobile Device Details

Samsung note 3 originally 9006 Chinese ROM
Rooted via Odin to 9005
Upgraded to Lineage ROM 18
Uploaded pico Gapps
Uploaded Magisk v23

Desktop Machine

Asus P5BSE / Core2 Duo E4400 @ 2.00GHz / 4GB ram / 2TB storage / Linix; Zorin Core 15.3

Project in brief

To install Lantern. (getlantern.org)
Lantern is usually installed via Google play store.
Google is blocked in China.
Downloaded Lantern APK to upload to phone via recovery from SD card.
Recovery does not show the APK in the SD card.
Stuck.

Further info - useful?​

During one of my attempts to install Lineage following a blog, I wiped the disk in error.
I also suspect I removed the backup of the original Samsung system as when I tried to reboot, TWRP mentioned there was no O/S.

Nothing I could do restored the original.
What was it Macbeth said about being in blood stepped so far?

On my final install of Lineage 18 I seem now to have their Recovery, not TWRP.
Seems no big deal for me, I was able to successfully install the new OS + Gapps.

I also have Magisk installed, the device is in dev mode and - seemingly rooted. (although the App does not explicitly say so)
Using a borrowed SIM card I can connect to the China mobile network system.
I now have a fully functional, working , English language device with Lineage 18.
Brilliant!

My last task is to figure out how to get the Lantern App sorted.
I have downloaded the APK from their official site, several others as well as a supposedly zip file.
Saved to SD card, visible when viewed on Linux, invisible when card is installed in mobile.
I really do not know quite how to proceed from here.

If I have missed anything, sorry, please ask.
Huge thanks to RAIZ from this forum for getting me to this stage and the guys who made Lineage 18 so darn easy to install and seemingly impossible to mess up.
And boy oh boy, believe me, I have really tried over the past few months~!
What recovery are you using? Have you tried different recoveries?

thebic

Jun 3, 2021
An APK will never get installed via Recovery.

You typically install an APK ( sideload method ) by means of ADB.
Hehe, I can verify your first statement!
Do you have a link you can direct me to please as to how to do it via ADB in Lineage recovery as I did try that (side loading) via TWRP and it threw back an error. I can't recall but I think it was permissions or similar?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that in my post.
Thx for your constructive feedback - much appreciated.
P

thebic

Jun 3, 2021
An APK will never get installed via Recovery.

You typically install an APK ( sideload method ) by means of ADB.

Code:
adb devices
adb install <FULL-PATHNAME-OF-APK-ON-PC-HERE>
Ohhhhh Kayyyyyy - coping.
Just.
You have added code?
Before I go ahead and destroy New York, I use that where?
How?
and errr... why?

I am guessing in Terminal, but I am not really sure what I am trying to achieve here.
Sorry, not arguing or being difficult, I just find it helps me if I know what EXPECTED outcomes are. Just in case it isn't what I should expect. :>(

Thx for your patience.
p

thebic

Jun 3, 2021
  • Haha
Reactions: jwoegerbauer

thebic

Jun 3, 2021
I seem to be going in ever decreasing circles.
Please help me out- what is protocol.
Do I keep updating my progress - or lack of- here, in this dialogue, or should I continue to update my original post?
Which one best communicates to everyone where I am at?
Cheers

thebic

Jun 3, 2021
You are right.
I am not sure how this forum works, so it was more of a post to jwoegerbauer.
Anyway, even opening the folder with terminal and using adb install lantern-installer failed with a CLOSE error message. I guess that meant close as in shut not closes as in almost!

I can, using Lineageos recovery access ADP on my phone with the instruction: " now send the package you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>"

However that triggers a screed of data in terminal which, frankly, is well beyond my rudimentary level of comprehension.

I have tried following 3 other on line tuts which suggest using ADB on my computer. All goes well until the instruction: <adb devices> which returns:
$ adb devices
List of devices attached

In other words, computer can't find phone!
I initially tried it in DOWLOAD mode, with the usual "download in progress, do not disconnect source."

Then reading the tuts again, none mentioned download mode so I tried with just the device attached to the machine in normal phone usage mode. Checked that SAMSUNG was visible and I could open the folders but again failed. ( sorry I forget what that error message was)

So far the most positive has been the direct ADB via Lineageos, but I have no idea where to go from there.

It is knocking on 37* here, too hot to think so I am taking a break.
Thx for your latest efforts.
Cheers
P

thebic

Jun 3, 2021
OK Finally!

[email protected]:~$ adb devices
List of devices attached
438f904d device

[email protected]:~$ adb install /home/bicyu/Sam-upgrade/lantern-installer/lantern-installer.apk
Performing Streamed Install
Success
[email protected]:~$

I have read so many posts all end with the <adb devices> and on each one I see zilch.
So, for anyone else in this boat, here is my solution.

In developer OPTIONS on your LINEAGEos device scroll down to

DEFAULT USB CONFIGURATION​
Very likely it is set to FILE TRANSFER - mine was.
Change it to USB TETHERING

Then enter < adb devices> in terminal.
You should then see your Android listed.
Proceed with: adb install <FULL-PATHNAME-OF-APK-ON-PC-HERE>

You should see a SUCCESS flag!

NOTES: This works in Lineageos ROM on Linux, ( Ubuntu / Zorin O/S)
I dunno about others.
You need to have dev options activated.
Change the USB setting back when done, otherwise it tends to mess up your Internet! (did mine anyway!)

This is the best background tut to ADB I found.
He talks about a USB3 bug which, apparently, creates the same problem - maybe THAT is your issue? It was that article which put me on the USB CONFIG train.

Hope this helps someone.
A REALLY HUGE thank you to jwoegerbauer for putting me
on the right track - wrong train, - but right track.
Cheers mate! 🍹

Last edited:
Solution

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
Glad to hear you solved it.

Only to have mentioned it, there is a workaround - as always because many ways leads to Rome:

Copy the APK of interest onto MicroSD-card, plug the card into phone, afterwards using any File Manager application that is installed on phone, navigate to the location on MicroSD where the APK file is located and finally double-click on the APK file: this will install the APK.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebic

thebic

Jun 3, 2021
Glad to here you solved it.

Only to have mentioned it, there is a workaround - as always because many ways leads to Rome:

Copy the APK of interest onto MicroSD-card, plug the card into phone, afterwards using any File Manager application that is installed on phone, navigate to the location on MicroSD where the APK file is located and finally double-click on the APK file: this will install the APK.
NOW he tells me!
That was where I began 2+ weeks back, downloading to SD card and trying to find a way inside the phone to do it. Never thought of File Manager! Duh~
Take care buddy, enjoy your weekend, wherever you are.
p

Top Liked Posts