Stupid newbie question v. fresh 1.5 to Damagecontrol

Search This thread

pyropup55

May 4, 2010
Prince Frederick
I just got my Hero last week and using fresh kitchen, flashed to fresh 1.5.
I wanted to move up to the new damagecontrol rom, but since I used fresh kitchen to upgrade the first time. I wanted to know what I had to do. Is it just a matter of draging the dc zip to my sd card, booting to recovery and then updating (or what ever the menu says) and that be it? thanks for helping a newb

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
I just got my Hero last week and using fresh kitchen, flashed to fresh 1.5.
I wanted to move up to the new damagecontrol rom, but since I used fresh kitchen to upgrade the first time. I wanted to know what I had to do. Is it just a matter of draging the dc zip to my sd card, booting to recovery and then updating (or what ever the menu says) and that be it? thanks for helping a newb

That will update the ROM yes. But you HAVE to wipe the factory default/dalvik-cache first. Which means you'll need to back up stuff you want first.

Going from 1.5 to 2.x isn't easy. If you have the right tools (I used Titanium backup) you can get your text messages back. Contacts will fail (unless you have them synched online) and you'll likely want to reinstall your apps.

If you're going to move from 1.5 I recommend a fresh start, don't try and restore anything and reinstall. It's a whole lot easier (I did this on my wife's phone last weekend, so I'm speaking from fresh experience). I'm sure there will be a lot of people who disagree, but it's definitely going to be better to wipe and go then try and restore it.

pyropup55

May 4, 2010
Prince Frederick
so do i just boot up to ra, do a wipe and then re-boot and copy over the dc zip? I have all my contacts and pics stashed away via wavesecure and I can just re sync them that way. not too worried about losing the text msgs.

also, i just added swype last night, again using fresh kitchen. how do i add those using dc?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Last edited:

animal7296

Dec 4, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT.
so do i just boot up to ra, do a wipe and then re-boot and copy over the dc zip? I have all my contacts and pics stashed away via wavesecure and I can just re sync them that way. not too worried about losing the text msgs.

also, i just added swype last night, again using fresh kitchen. how do i add those using dc?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Also I had to partition the sd card cause DC went into a boot loop till I did. Just remember to partition before moving DC 2.08.1 to your sd card or you will erase the rom.

Last edited:

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
You can probably re-add swype with Fresh Kitchen on the 2.1 ROM. If not do a search for 'adb'.

Basically you would do an adb remount, followed by 'adb push nameofapplication.apk /system/app' (this is not exact commands, look it up for where swype goes, I believe /system/app is correct, though).

For the rest:

Reboot into recovery
Do a wipe factory
Do a wipe dalvik-cache
Do a wipe SD:ext (it will fail if you've never used a2sd, don't worry about the failure message).

Then select 'flash zip from sd card' and flash the ROM you put on it.

If you're flashing the latest DC roms be aware: I've seen that take anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 minutes to boot after installation. So don't freak out. Also make sure your battery's fully charged before you install it. (The minimum is 30%, but if you have it at 100% you definitely won't need to worry about the battery when flashing a ROM).

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
Also I had to provision the sd card cause DC went into a boot loop till I did. Just remember to provision before moving DC 2.08.1 to your sd card or you will erase the rom.

Partition you mean? Shouldn't have to, to install that ROM. I installed 2.0.8 on my wife's prior to re-partitioning it for a2sd and it worked fine.

animal7296

Dec 4, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT.
Partition you mean? Shouldn't have to, to install that ROM. I installed 2.0.8 on my wife's prior to re-partitioning it for a2sd and it worked fine.

Thank you. I was having a brain fart and that is what I was having problems with. I flashed the rom and it went into boot loop (about 1/2 hr) removed battery wiped and boot looped again. Finally partitioned sd and booted fine.

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
Thank you. I was having a brain fart and that is what I was having problems with. I flashed the rom and it went into boot loop (about 1/2 hr) removed battery wiped and boot looped again. Finally partitioned sd and booted fine.

Odd...but yeah I just remembered reading you had that issue. I think that dconfig might not be 100% ready for prime time, which can cause that kind of issue. But that's a guess. Seems to be a random deal, though, because it doesn't happen to everyone.