Stupid Questions Thread - No question too stupid!

Search This thread

wisinx

Aug 2, 2010
Bayamón
Yes, safestrap is the only recovery you can use on the firmware version you're on. No cwm

Sent from my Nexus 9 using XDA Free mobile app

Just installed safestrap, now at start it boots to it. When I hit the recovery combo it just boots to the original recovery. This is a problem?
Could I flash roms, now, with this recovery?

You press the menu key to boot into SafeStrap when you see the little guy on the screen if I remember correctly... Not a key combo. You still have stock recovery, SafeStrap is basically installed "next to it"

Yes, I just need to know if I could flash roms, now, with this recovery? even thoe I have also installed a non-working cmw recovery.

Aug 16, 2012
Which direction to take from AT&T I3337 MF3

1. Thank you to everyone in this site and forums for working so hard to put together great tutorials and special software. Especially thanks for this thread.
  2. I apologize in advance for not finding my own solution because I truly understand people being upset by repeat questions. I am only writing this because now I'm thoroughly confused. :confused:
  3. Settings>More>About device:
    About device:
    Model number: SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
    Android version: 4.2.2
    Baseband version: I337UCUAMF3
    Kernel version: 3.4.0-812098
    Build number: JDQ39.I337UCUAMF3
    SELinux status: Permissive
    Secure boot status: Type: Samsung

Rooted, with SuperSU running and correctly allowing Titanium Backup free, etc.

As you can see, I have MF3, but I am also rooted. My end goal is just to update to a newer kernel or ROM because there are Android features that I am currently unable to use (things in Chromecast, etc.)

I tried to boot into recovery (VOL_UP+HOME+Power). I see "Booting Recovery..." and let go but it never boots recovery. I would like to make a full backup in case I come anywhere close to bricking.

I have read multiple times that with MF3 I can't flash a new kernel. But am I stuck? I am thinking it would be best to up or downgrade from MF3 to something that would allow me to update the kernel or ROM, but again feel stuck. Can I do this (NB1 or MK2)? It would be awesome to get to Android 5.0 eventually because I'll have this phone for quite some time still.

Please help or advise :)

StoneyJSG

Jul 28, 2014
  1. Thank you to everyone in this site and forums for working so hard to put together great tutorials and special software. Especially thanks for this thread.
  2. I apologize in advance for not finding my own solution because I truly understand people being upset by repeat questions. I am only writing this because now I'm thoroughly confused. :confused:
    About device:

As you can see, I have MF3, but I am also rooted. My end goal is just to update to a newer kernel or ROM because there are Android features that I am currently unable to use (things in Chromecast, etc.)

I tried to boot into recovery (VOL_UP+HOME+Power). I see "Booting Recovery..." and let go but it never boots recovery. I would like to make a full backup in case I come anywhere close to bricking.

I have read multiple times that with MF3 I can't flash a new kernel. But am I stuck? I am thinking it would be best to up or downgrade from MF3 to something that would allow me to update the kernel or ROM, but again feel stuck. Can I do this (NB1 or MK2)? It would be awesome to get to Android 5.0 eventually because I'll have this phone for quite some time still.

You are stuck unless you unroot and do a factory data reset so you can get the Android 5.0 OTA update when it comes out. You cannot use a custom kernel or recovery. You have to use safe strap to boot roms. When going into recovery, don't let go of the buttons until you are in recovery or download an app called "quick boot" from the play store. As for downgrading, you can only do that on certain firmwares and I am not sure if mf3 is one or not.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
    About device:

Flash one of these NB1 .tar files. After that you can take the ota to the most current firmware, NJ4: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=50912149

Reactions: thickconfusion

Buccanero

Dec 31, 2014
Toronto
Hey everyone,

I recently got a new I337M S4 with baseband NI2 locked to Koodo, and I've been reading this forum trying to understand this Knox system of Samsung's. It's a new phone so I want to preserve the warranty, and my old Nexus S had none of these issues so I'm quite new to all this. It's also hard to keep up with changing information with every baseband and phone version that is out there. So just to clear up a couple of my concerns:

1) Will rooting with towelroot trip the knox flag? What about SafeRoot? Both of these should work on 4.4.2 I think?

2) The way to unlock this phone seems to be downgrading the modem to the 4.2.2 version (but I am unclear on which build - MF3, or MDJ, or some other newer one?) with Odin, doing the old methods that unlocked all the bands on that old modem, and then flashing the modem back to the version I have now. Will flashing a modem to an old version with Odin trip the knox warranty flag? Or flashing back to the new modem, for that matter?

Infinitodecimal

May 3, 2014
ucufmld to jn4

Is it possible to go from fmld to jn4 loading the ota fila from the stock recovery without going to mk2 or using safestrap?:confused:
I want 4.4.4 but since this build is a leaked one at&t won't give me the OTA...

jd1639

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Is it possible to go from fmld to jn4 loading the ota fila from the stock recovery without going to mk2 or using safestrap?:confused:
I want 4.4.4 but since this build is a leaked one at&t won't give me the OTA...

No, you're going to have to Odin nb1 to move forward. And that will wipe your device

Reactions: Infinitodecimal
Aug 16, 2012

Infinitodecimal

May 3, 2014
No, you're going to have to Odin nb1 to move forward. And that will wipe your device

Is there a possibility to push nb1 through the recovery? I'm a very anxious person and since I'm not at home and there aren't any computers nearby i can't Odin it.:silly:
Thanks!

silrosriv

May 2, 2012
Has anyone tried having 2 usb chargers connected to a 2 usb male/ 1 micro usb male to charge a phone faster?
The cable would have to be a diy, but I'm wondering if it's possible.

jd1639

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Has anyone tried having 2 usb chargers connected to a 2 usb male/ 1 micro usb male to charge a phone faster?
The cable would have to be a diy, but I'm wondering if it's possible.

The phone's electronics will limit the amount of current it'll accept. So it's not going to charge any faster

jkim204

Apr 11, 2014
Hey XDA,

I just flashed a jellybean 5.0 custom rom on my galaxy s4 i337 and am loving it!

However, I've been trying to copy all my apps+data from the razr hd to galaxy s4 using Titanium Backup but the backed up files appear to be corrupted when it is transferred to the gs4 titanium backup folder.

All I did was just backed up all the files on the razr hd and then copy pasted the files over to the gs4 titanium backup folder.
The files seem to look fine before transferring over but it all shows a grey line across the backed up app files once it gets to gs4.

I've took a screenshot and attached below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-03-20-04-20.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-03-20-04-20.png
    197.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_2015-01-03-19-46-51.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-03-19-46-51.png
    204.3 KB · Views: 70

DTXBrian

Jun 26, 2012
So, I'm 110% sure this question has been asked and probably answered on this site about 20,000 times... but I find conflicting information wherever I look, so I'd like to get a clearer, hopefully definitive answer.

Had my phone (an i337 with NC1) replaced a couple of days ago because the cell signal kept dropping out, it was replaced with an i337 with NJ4. I followed the directions http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s4-att/general/how-to-root-i337ucufnj4-4-4-4-11-13-2014-t2939553/post56738573#post56738573 to root the device (use ODIN to return firmware to NC1, use Towelroot, ODIN back to NJ4...) and had absolutely no trouble in doing so. Worked a treat.

BUT... now the startup splash screen shows the infamous "custom" unlocked padlock logo. I didn't really care about it, seeing as I expected the phone to work fine... but the cell signal keeps dropping out in this one as well, so I need to get a warranty swap.

KNOX still shows 0x0. Triangle Away shows the flash counter is at 0. I don't know what else to do.

Surely someone either knows what to do, or knows there is definitively nothing that can be done.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

~wolverine~

Sep 20, 2011
Kentucky

KNOX still shows 0x0. Triangle Away shows the flash counter is at 0. I don't know what else to do.

Surely someone either knows what to do, or knows there is definitively nothing that can be done.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

With everything showing 0's I don't know if it would work or not but you could try a USB Jig. You can either make one or get one off eBay really cheap. Seems like it would be worth a try. Good luck.

cloudbank

Jan 5, 2015
rooted 4.3 MK2 to ?

I've got a rooted At&t S4 on MK2 running 4.3. I'd like to upgrade to the latest and greatest, and have spent a lot of time poking around these forums, but confess I'm pretty lost.
What's the best way to:
- back up current phone (including sms and phone call history)
- restore, wipe, flash or upgrade to whatever the latest stock ROM is that I can root?
- Speaking of, what IS the latest stock ROM that i can root (i.e., not go to NB2? that seems undesirable)?

I'm confused re: NB1/NB2 and if I just want to upgrade to the latest stock and root it I'm not sure what steps to take - I'm a bit overwhelmed with the amount of info here.
Thanks in advance for your help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I thought we could benefit from having a stupid questions thread here in the S4 Q&A section. This thread is for those who have what they may feel is a stupid or very simple question. Please read through the forum threads and use the search first. Lets all work together to give answers where we can without speculating. If you don't know, don't answer. If you do, let's get these stupid questions out there and answered!

Remember, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

Any flaming will be reported. All XDA rules apply so read up.

Props to @lumin30 and @ShadyAce80 for setting this up in the S 4G and S3 forums where I first found them. Cheers!
    The only stupid question is the one that never got asked!

I am giving a thanks also.
    Any lollipop for safestrapp users yet?
    Not yet. You'll see the announcements, I'm sure.
    Did they give up on trying to unlock the Bootloader on the AT&T/Verizon S4? or is it still a work in progress?
    Still a work in progress. Still just as difficult.
    Been wondering why all ROMs aren't created to flash in Odin. It works for un-bricking, returning to stock and many other uses so why not flash all ROMs this way? Why flash through recovery? Is it hard to create custom ROMs that are Odin flashable? Why?? Thanks in advance for your replies.
    You can't create ODIN flashable ROMs for all devices, since those with a locked bootloader can't flash it. It's also easier to create a flashable zip than an ODIN package.
    hey guys, im a avid flasher on my s2 but just got my s4 today and was wondering if i can just odin the latest twrp and flash the latest supersu.zip to gain root?

on 4.4.2
    Baseband 1337MVLUFNl2
    build KOT49H.1337mVLUFNl2

also would the twrp version be jfltecan ?

thanks guys

not use to submiting noob q's lol

Edit: btw with koodo, and sim locked to koodo. Not sure if that matters or not

You should be able to do that, and yes it should be jfltecan.
    This is where I show my inexperience.
    With cwm 6.0.3.2 I did from the menu:
    Wipe data/factory reset
    Wipe cache partition
    Wipe dalvik cache

That first one should be the format, right? Or is there another one I missed?

first, make sure you have a backup and your rom/gapps on a micro sd card. thats my soapbox
    wipe data, wipe cache, wipe dalvik, format system, format /data.
    flash rom/gapps, reboot.
    You touched my heart..:(
    I want vision x rom but I am new to samsung and I hav at&t sgh i337 about which many were saying if I put custom in it it will brick
    No one guided me and I am fear of bricking my device

Loki is the bootloader workaround for MDB and MDL, all other versions Loki is patched. Knox is Samsung's secure corporate security crap.

Alright...

So here's what you'll do:

Root it with Casual:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2297900

You could use CF-Root but it add to the binary counter in download mode
    The process will also load TWRP recovery, but an older version.

Download Vision ROM for I-337, and an AT&T 4.4.2 Kernel such as KT (Lokied), and Loki-Doki and put them on your SD

Update your TWRP with this link, you just flash it in recovery.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2262996

Reboot Recovery
    Perform the wipes, which are:
    Factory Reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik Cache
    Format /system

Flash the ROM, Kernel, and Loki-Doki, I'm not sure if that ROM has Loki applied or not.

Loki-Doki:
    http://tau.shadowchild.nl/files/loki-doki.zip
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone