Question Subpar camera results

Search This thread

Biges

Aug 21, 2008
Praha
Hi guys!

I'm considering a replacement phone for my ageing Oneplus 5. So far it has been Oneplus 9, Pixel 6 and Smasung S22. Pixel 6 camera is AWESOME, detailed, fast, great. But the phone itself is not. Oneplus 9's camera is not so good, the weakest of all three phones. S22's camera seems to be placed in between, however the JPEG compression the stock Samsung camera does ruins the details in photos and it cannot be configured.

I've tried various Gcam mods/configs, no one has ever worked to same basic satisfaction.

So my question is whether there is some good camera app replacement and/or modified Samsung stock camera app.

Thanks a lot!

francoj11

Jun 16, 2015
I don't have an answer to this, but hopefully, more people can chime in to discuss around the camera.

I went from Pixel 2XL to S22 Exynos. I Miss a lot the photos from my Pixel.
The S22 photos are ok but it feels like a downgrade against the Pixel (and I'm talking about 4 year old phone!).

Also, the camera shooter is somewhat slow. Just this weekend I tried taking a few portrait photos of a dog that was standing still, and some of the photos came a little bit blurred/moved, which was very frustrating by the time I realise that, and there is no way to refocus in edit mode like I was able to do on the Pixel. I think that's somewhat related to portrait with the 3X telelens.

I tried a few Google Cameras on the S22, and only got one to actually work (picked from reddit). But the results are not that different than stock camera for some reason.

I'll stick with this phone for a year or two, but I believe I'll eventually come back to a Pixel just because of the camera. Shoot and go, and have an incredible perfect and sharp picture.

The video is another story. Samsung does a great job with stabilisation there. But I actually do way more photos than videos, so its not a thing that I actually enjoy.

Reactions: Biges

Vorion

Hi guys!

I'm considering a replacement phone for my ageing Oneplus 5. So far it has been Oneplus 9, Pixel 6 and Smasung S22. Pixel 6 camera is AWESOME, detailed, fast, great. But the phone itself is not. Oneplus 9's camera is not so good, the weakest of all three phones. S22's camera seems to be placed in between, however the JPEG compression the stock Samsung camera does ruins the details in photos and it cannot be configured.

I've tried various Gcam mods/configs, no one has ever worked to same basic satisfaction.

So my question is whether there is some good camera app replacement and/or modified Samsung stock camera app.

Thanks a lot!
I am using S22 - SD variant. In my opinion, I don't see anything like that. Maybe because I haven't compared it side by side with Pixel 6. One thing I know for sure that S22 is way better than my previous S20 FE 5G and S8 in terms of details and overall camera performance.

Use Pro mode on the stock camera app. If that doesn't satisfy you, we have Expert Raw App, exclusive for newer Samsung flagships, a notch above the regular Pro mode.

Reactions: Biges

rumpelst

Feb 11, 2011
Warsaw
I was close to changing my s22 for iphone 12 or even Galaxy a53 5g but today I tried 50 mpx mode and pictures are imprssively detailed and low of noise. I do not know if they changes something in camera processing in this mode but pictures are much better than 12 mpx standard mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't have an answer to this, but hopefully, more people can chime in to discuss around the camera.

I went from Pixel 2XL to S22 Exynos. I Miss a lot the photos from my Pixel.
    The S22 photos are ok but it feels like a downgrade against the Pixel (and I'm talking about 4 year old phone!).

Also, the camera shooter is somewhat slow. Just this weekend I tried taking a few portrait photos of a dog that was standing still, and some of the photos came a little bit blurred/moved, which was very frustrating by the time I realise that, and there is no way to refocus in edit mode like I was able to do on the Pixel. I think that's somewhat related to portrait with the 3X telelens.

I tried a few Google Cameras on the S22, and only got one to actually work (picked from reddit). But the results are not that different than stock camera for some reason.

I'll stick with this phone for a year or two, but I believe I'll eventually come back to a Pixel just because of the camera. Shoot and go, and have an incredible perfect and sharp picture.

The video is another story. Samsung does a great job with stabilisation there. But I actually do way more photos than videos, so its not a thing that I actually enjoy.
    Hi guys!

Thanks a lot!
    I am using S22 - SD variant. In my opinion, I don't see anything like that. Maybe because I haven't compared it side by side with Pixel 6. One thing I know for sure that S22 is way better than my previous S20 FE 5G and S8 in terms of details and overall camera performance.

Use Pro mode on the stock camera app. If that doesn't satisfy you, we have Expert Raw App, exclusive for newer Samsung flagships, a notch above the regular Pro mode.