• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Substratum] Always On Display Enabler for Stock Android 10

Search This thread

blckbear

Always On Display Enabler

Here's a Substratum overlay I made that enables AOD on Stock Android 10, along with Burn-In protection and AOD Wallpapers.
I created this as I wasn't happy with the one available in the PlayStore as it also modifies system theme colors and that wasn't a desired feature.
Compatible with Substratum Lite.

Tested working on Pixel XL.

Features:
- AOD Wallpapers: seems to not be working
- Burn-In protection: seems to be working ok.
- Doze: seems to not be working (Device does not enter DeepSleep).

Version: 1.2
DOWNLOAD

Source code: https://github.com/blckbearx/AOD-Enabler

Last edited:

daedric

Dec 24, 2006
Porto

Here's a Substratum overlay I made that enables AOD on Stock Android 10, along with Burn-In protection and AOD Wallpapers.
I created this as I wasn't happy with the one available in the PlayStore as it also modifies system theme colors and that wasn't a desired feature.

DOWNLOAD

Tested and it seems to be working.

Questions :

1. IIRC the Pixel LWP had notification animations right ? It seems these aren't working. Also the LWP specific AOD images vanish after a while.

2. Does this prevent deep sleep ?

blckbear

Tested and it seems to be working.

Questions :

1. IIRC the Pixel LWP had notification animations right ? It seems these aren't working. Also the LWP specific AOD images vanish after a while.

2. Does this prevent deep sleep ?

I couldn't get AOD wallpapers to show, they're enabled by the overlay but they don't seem to show, I couldn't get any wallpapers package to work with this feature.

Regarding deep sleep, this should be working, I've never noticed any background battery drainage while using AOD.

hairycheez

Aug 2, 2011
Google Pixel 5
Works on Pixel with LOS 17.1 and substratum lite. Thanks!

Animation works too I think. There's a smooth transition and screen doesn't flash at all. Have quickswitch, modprops, and fontchanger too and it's all working together.

Flipz77

Jul 15, 2014
Milan
Edited my post as I was thinking about the older substratum overlay. Sorry! I'm going to try this one. If it nails deep sleep I'm gonna donate to you OP. I've been waiting for deep sleep with AOD for two years.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Update: deep sleep doesn't work according to EX manager, everything else works great!

Last edited:

blckbear

Edited my post as I was thinking about the older substratum overlay. Sorry! I'm going to try this one. If it nails deep sleep I'm gonna donate to you OP. I've been waiting for deep sleep with AOD for two years.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Update: deep sleep doesn't work according to EX manager, everything else works great!

Let me change some things and I'll upload another version for you to try

Edit: I think enabling deep sleep will break dt2w, we'll see that if the next version works

Last edited:

blckbear

@Flipz77 try the attached APK and please test if Deep Sleep works. I compared with the Magisk module and I had a modification that it didn't have regarding Doze so I removed it. Now it's basically identical to the Magisk module except for the Burn-In protection and AOD Wallpapers lines.

Attachments

• AOD-Enabler-v1.3.apk
    2.9 MB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Reactions: Flipz77

GaryBlack

Apr 19, 2016
I've installed this on a LG V40 running RR 8.6.8 GSI. Here the AOD/ambient display didn't work too good out of the box, possibly because of missing overlays. With this overlay, i can at least get AOD active fulltime or have the device wake when picked up/tilted (albeit a bit wonky/insensitive).
Still, double tap to wake from a black screen does not work here (when the system is in doze), only triggers from sensors will wake the device to show ambient display. Most likely a vendor/hw overlay/kernel issue.

Doze/Deep sleep works as long as i don't enable full always-on display.
On full always-on, dt2w works, but the cpus won't go into deep-sleep.
And i haven't seen much of a movement for burn-in protection. If it's there, it's too small to effectively shift out a majority of the pixels in use.

Reactions: blckbear

blckbear

I guess it depends on the device, I made the module based on what the Pixel XL lacks on stock ROM.
On the Pixel XL the DeepSleep issue is also present, I forgot to correct that on the OP, thanks for the reminder.
The burn-in protection I tested it and it seems to shift too little, pretty much unnoticeable so it may be kinda useless.

I guess most of this is related to what is already baked in the ROM.
Anyways, custom ROMs for ther Pixel XL that have AOD available still face this issues, son in the Pixel XL case it may be Device/Kernel related.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Features:
    - AOD Wallpapers: seems to not be working
    - Burn-In protection: seems to be working ok.
    - Doze: seems to not be working (Device does not enter DeepSleep).

DOWNLOAD

@Flipz77 try the attached APK and please test if Deep Sleep works. I compared with the Magisk module and I had a modification that it didn't have regarding Doze so I removed it. Now it's basically identical to the Magisk module except for the Burn-In protection and AOD Wallpapers lines.
    I've installed this on a LG V40 running RR 8.6.8 GSI. Here the AOD/ambient display didn't work too good out of the box, possibly because of missing overlays. With this overlay, i can at least get AOD active fulltime or have the device wake when picked up/tilted (albeit a bit wonky/insensitive).
    Still, double tap to wake from a black screen does not work here (when the system is in doze), only triggers from sensors will wake the device to show ambient display. Most likely a vendor/hw overlay/kernel issue.

Doze/Deep sleep works as long as i don't enable full always-on display.
    On full always-on, dt2w works, but the cpus won't go into deep-sleep.
    And i haven't seen much of a movement for burn-in protection. If it's there, it's too small to effectively shift out a majority of the pixels in use.