• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Success! 5G Working on DEMO LG Wing.

Search This thread

vegasflash

Aug 4, 2021
So I was able to successfully get the DEMO LG Wing I bought off of ebay. (Model LMF101V) Flashed. And despite being told these didn't even have a modem in them, I am able to get 5G with a Tmobile SIM now. *I believe these were originally Verizon demo's, but I am not sure. I am missing storage, which I have seen was a problem with other LG demo models. However it appears the SD card is working, so this is not a huge deal to me. (It registers 8GB instead of 256GB) I know the storage is actually there, because prior to flashing, I was able to access and use it in the demo mode.

I was wondering if anyone could help me get the biometrics working? The hardware is present and the phone does detect a fingerprint reader, but when trying to use it, it never registers any finger prints. *It does not accept or reject, the screen changes to indicate my finger is touching the glass, but nothing happens as far as registering my fingerprint goes, it just does nothing. I do not yet know if the 50% charging limitiation is still in place or not, I will update when I find out. I am assuming this is no longer an issue.

Not bad for $180 now that it has service. I accomplished this by making my own modifications to LGUP, I will be honest, I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff. So I was poking around and changed a few things here, a few things there, and I could not tell you specifically what I did that made this work. The phone still does not show me an IMEI number. (Just a 0 in place of it.) I dont want to break the rules regarding changing IMEI's, but since this would be more like restoring the IMEI, maybe the mods will allow us to discuss potential fixes to that issue.

xSe7eNx

So I was able to successfully get the DEMO LG Wing I bought off of ebay. (Model LMF101V) Flashed. And despite being told these didn't even have a modem in them, I am able to get 5G with a Tmobile SIM now. *I believe these were originally Verizon demo's, but I am not sure. I am missing storage, which I have seen was a problem with other LG demo models. However it appears the SD card is working, so this is not a huge deal to me. (It registers 8GB instead of 256GB) I know the storage is actually there, because prior to flashing, I was able to access and use it in the demo mode.

I was wondering if anyone could help me get the biometrics working? The hardware is present and the phone does detect a fingerprint reader, but when trying to use it, it never registers any finger prints. *It does not accept or reject, the screen changes to indicate my finger is touching the glass, but nothing happens as far as registering my fingerprint goes, it just does nothing. I do not yet know if the 50% charging limitiation is still in place or not, I will update when I find out. I am assuming this is no longer an issue.

Not bad for $180 now that it has service. I accomplished this by making my own modifications to LGUP, I will be honest, I am a newbie when it comes to this stuff. So I was poking around and changed a few things here, a few things there, and I could not tell you specifically what I did that made this work. The phone still does not show me an IMEI number. (Just a 0 in place of it.) I dont want to break the rules regarding changing IMEI's, but since this would be more like restoring the IMEI, maybe the mods will allow us to discuss potential fixes to that issue.
How did you flash it!?

vegasflash

Aug 4, 2021
How did you flash it!?
Modified LGUP - Chip Erase was the only option that would do anything at all. So I first flashed a Verizon ROM and then a Tmobile ROM. Both lifted all all the limitations placed on the device. The only thing that did not work was the fingerprint sensor, but its there... so there has got to be a way. That and it wont show an IMEI number at all after that. Yet at least with Tmobile, that doesnt appear to matter.

I got ahold of 2 V60 demo units. I believe they are the Verizon ones? Anyhow i removed demo limitations to allow use of the device again, battery is at 50% llke most, and its supposedly missing the modem as i cannot get any information in Phone Information for the cellular bands etc.. It would be nice however to get them working IF they are present.

I don't see how your velvet has the modems unless perhaps it was specific verizon ones which these devices were rumored to have the ability of a full device (modem and everything else) once flashed to different firmware.

If you could walk back through what you do (i know im guilty myself of forgetting to write things down) and try to remember exactly what all you did this would help a lot on these demo units. I see a people wanting to convert them more these days since the phones are getting more hi tech. 5-7 years ago and so you could covert these,, Before that demo phones.. well they were all real. Was never an issue getting them cheap and no need for converting.. Wish it was like that today!

m5james

Aug 27, 2010
Any updates on this? Local used phone stores want $450 starting, I see a handful on eBay for anywhere from $120+, non-demo ones average around $350+. I'd like to get one that's unlocked (currently on Sprint/TMobile) but likely gonna be switching to AT&T. I see a lot of phones that say unlocked but I don't know if they're truly unlocked and/or how to do it myself if they're in fact not unlocked. 10+yrs ago I used to bake my own ROM's and whatnot but nowadays it feels like Spanish to me so I don't wanna buy the wrong phone and have it not work (demo issues) or not be able to easily switch providers.

LGUPED

Aug 19, 2021
Galaxy Note Edge
LG G8X ThinQ
I got ahold of 2 V60 demo units. I believe they are the Verizon ones? Anyhow i removed demo limitations to allow use of the device again, battery is at 50% llke most, and its supposedly missing the modem as i cannot get any information in Phone Information for the cellular bands etc.. It would be nice however to get them working IF they are present.

I don't see how your velvet has the modems unless perhaps it was specific verizon ones which these devices were rumored to have the ability of a full device (modem and everything else) once flashed to different firmware.

If you could walk back through what you do (i know im guilty myself of forgetting to write things down) and try to remember exactly what all you did this would help a lot on these demo units. I see a people wanting to convert them more these days since the phones are getting more hi tech. 5-7 years ago and so you could covert these,, Before that demo phones.. well they were all real. Was never an issue getting them cheap and no need for converting.. Wish it was like that today!
The lg velvet retail modes do take the korean firmware. Everything works even 5g. Battery works 100%.

LGUPED

Aug 19, 2021
Galaxy Note Edge
LG G8X ThinQ
Any updates on this? Local used phone stores want $450 starting, I see a handful on eBay for anywhere from $120+, non-demo ones average around $350+. I'd like to get one that's unlocked (currently on Sprint/TMobile) but likely gonna be switching to AT&T. I see a lot of phones that say unlocked but I don't know if they're truly unlocked and/or how to do it myself if they're in fact not unlocked. 10+yrs ago I used to bake my own ROM's and whatnot but nowadays it feels like Spanish to me so I don't wanna buy the wrong phone and have it not work (demo issues) or not be able to easily switch providers.
Yup i was able to flash the lg velvet retail modes with korean firmware. 5g even works with att. Hotspot isnt even locked like it would be on stock att firmware. Im really loving these lg velvet retail mode phones. If you can find them cheap get one.

gd243

Sep 18, 2021

Is there any chance you could share what you did to get this working? I've been trying to flash stock firmware to my Wing but haven't had any success. All of my attempts have either caused LGUP to crash, fail, or "successfully" flash but never actually do anything to the phone.

LGUPED

Aug 19, 2021
Galaxy Note Edge
LG G8X ThinQ
Is there any chance you could share what you did to get this working? I've been trying to flash stock firmware to my Wing but haven't had any success. All of my attempts have either caused LGUP to crash, fail, or "successfully" flash but never actually do anything to the phone.

Dont use the gui tool. Learn to flash from terminal and you will be set.

I could never get the tool to work outside of the cmd promt.

gd243

Sep 18, 2021

Dont use the gui tool. Learn to flash from terminal and you will be set.
Alright, I'll give that a shot. Any specific firmware I should go for? I have the Korean and Verizon, not sure which is better. This is a Verizon demo unit, btw.

Edit: If you could link me to the terminal version, that would be appreciated.

LGUPED

Aug 19, 2021
Galaxy Note Edge
LG G8X ThinQ
Alright, I'll give that a shot. Any specific firmware I should go for? I have the Korean and Verizon, not sure which is better. This is a Verizon demo unit, btw.

Edit: If you could link me to the terminal version, that would be appreciated.
I personally cant wait until firehose comes out for the lg velvet. I have a few of those. They work great on att 5g. Almost feels exactly like my s20 ultra in my hand. Too bad lg stopped making phones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210918-115407.png
    Screenshot_20210918-115407.png
    274.1 KB · Views: 25

gd243

Sep 18, 2021
Terminal version worked perfectly! The korean firmware works and seems to be fully functional, although I will have to do more testing. I may try flashing US carrier firmware at some point if it's compatible (probably T-Mobile as I use that), but for now this is fine.

gd243

Sep 18, 2021
Been using the phone for a few days now. It's largely been fine, however the fingerprint sensor doesn't seem to work as the OP mentioned. Still, if anyone has a demo device, it's much better then using the gimped firmware it comes with.

gd243

Sep 18, 2021
Tried without downgrading the firmware (if that's even possible- I don't think the Wing came with Android 9). ( #*462633*#100# ) got me into the service menu, did the fingerprint test and now it recognizes me putting my finger against the sensor, but tells me "Cover the entire sensor with your finger" every time.

Edit: To be clear, I'm using the latest Korean firmware. I'm not sure if downgrading it would work, since as far as I know it's all Android 10.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Interesting this demo unit. What is the firmware showing in the system menu? Could you update to any newer firmware? Or could you unlock the bootloader / flash another official fimware?