successful blankflash on xt1952-4

Search This thread

Daroas

Account currently disabled
Jan 6, 2010
This file working fine with my XT1952-2 in Brazil. Tankhs!
I bricked my moto g7 play xt1952-1 and what worked for me was the blank flash image attached below, It might work for xt1952-2 as well, give it a shot.

P.s. That's what I posted in the discord channell earlier.

skullkid383

Nov 16, 2014
Moto G7 Play
Anyone got one for the sprint variant of g7 play tried using this one but it reconizes it and tries going through process but ends up with error at the end

shortyoh

May 14, 2020
1. Install QPST programs and utilities. Reboot your PC.

2. Connect your phone to your PC, open the device manager in Windows, then hold Vol↓+Power until you see the unknown device (your phone...) get removed and returned as QHSUSB or qdload.

3. Navigate to the installation folder of QPST. (Ex.) C:\Programfiles_x86\Qualcomm\bin\...
You want to be where all the hex files and exe's are at. Copy all the blank flash files for your phone to here. (Overwrite files if prompted.) Double click the ".bat" file. You'll reboot into fastboot.

4. Flash your stock firmware. Reboot. Congratulations you're no longer a brick!

Tip: If you get an I/O error when running the .bat file, disconnect and reconnect your phone and try again. -- This definitely works on Windows 10. (Windows 7/8 & Linux, your mileage may vary.)

Model Tested: XT1952-4 RETUS

Oh, how I wish this was working for me. I have an XT1952-4 (republic wireless) that was having battery calibration issues. Motorola told me to try their rescue software which instead of fixing the phone hard bricked it.

It was 1 day out of warranty (no joke), and the thieves want $149 (plus shipping) to fix it.

I've tried this set of instructions using the QPST.2.7.472 (also newer versions as well), and the blankflash files you attached. If I double click on the icon, it never seems to connect to the phone. If I go in via command line, I can get it to launch - it detects the phone on COM3 just fine, but then keeps getting hung up with a ton of "Waiting for firehose to get ready" messages with a few others (...MSM8953 unknown, Initializing storage, configuring device, etc) sporadically thrown in before I get:

[1084.115] ERROR: do_package()->do_recipe()->do_configure()->buffer_read()->device_read()->IO error

and then it dies.

Any ideas why this might not be working for me?

BobbyBlunt

Jan 3, 2014
Oh, how I wish this was working for me. I have an XT1952-4 (republic wireless)

I've tried this set of instructions using the QPST.2.7.472 (also newer versions as well), and the blankflash files you attached. If I double click on the icon, it never seems to connect to the phone. If I go in via command line, I can get it to launch - it detects the phone on COM3 just fine, but then keeps getting hung up with a ton of "Waiting for firehose to get ready" messages with a few others (...MSM8953 unknown, Initializing storage, configuring device, etc) sporadically thrown in before I get:

[1084.115] ERROR: do_package()->do_recipe()->do_configure()->buffer_read()->device_read()->IO error

EXACT
SAME
PROBLEM :'(
I have the XT1952-4 (Sprint model) and I am suffering from the exact same issue. Phone is dead. Boost has a replacement for $80 right now, and the a20 is like 150 before promotions.... starting to think that a20 may be the way to go

Spaceminer

Oh, how I wish this was working for me. I have an XT1952-4 (republic wireless) that was having battery calibration issues. Motorola told me to try their rescue software which instead of fixing the phone hard bricked it.

It was 1 day out of warranty (no joke), and the thieves want $149 (plus shipping) to fix it.

and then it dies.

Any ideas why this might not be working for me?

It's in my instructions... If you get an I/O error, disconnect and reconnect your phone. Also try a different USB port.

shortyoh

May 14, 2020
It's in my instructions... If you get an I/O error, disconnect and reconnect your phone. Also try a different USB port.

First off, thank you for responding - I do appreciate it. You're already quite literally 1000x more helpful than Motorola. :)

However, I have tried many USB ports on two different computers, and get the same result. If I get an I/O error at the beginning, disconnecting and reconnecting the phone does work (more often the problem can be overcome by holding the power button on the phone while blankflash is starting up, rather than disconnecting the phone). If I get past the beginning where sahara kicks up communication, the only error like messages I get are the MSM8953 unknown message (which to me implies that it doesn't understand how to flash for the processor, but what do I know?) and all the waiting for firehose messages. Are you suggesting that I should disconnec/connect during the waiting for firehose messages?

Thanks!

Spaceminer

First off, thank you for responding - I do appreciate it. You're already quite literally 1000x more helpful than Motorola. :)

However, I have tried many USB ports on two different computers, and get the same result. If I get an I/O error at the beginning, disconnecting and reconnecting the phone does work (more often the problem can be overcome by holding the power button on the phone while blankflash is starting up, rather than disconnecting the phone). If I get past the beginning where sahara kicks up communication, the only error like messages I get are the MSM8953 unknown message (which to me implies that it doesn't understand how to flash for the processor, but what do I know?) and all the waiting for firehose messages. Are you suggesting that I should disconnec/connect during the waiting for firehose messages?

Thanks!

Nope. Before you rerun the bat file. Just unplug, replug, then rerun it. You may also need to reboot your phone into qhusb mode. The easiest way to do that since the screen stays black, is while connected to your PC, open your device manager (where you see icons of controllers and such), and watch for your phone, hold Vol ↓ + Power like you would to get into fastboot, and you'll see it disappear and reappear in qhusb mode. Then try running the bat file. I had to go through this whole process a few times before it actually worked.

Killing any QPST programs from the task manager and restarting them may also be worth a shot. I also suggest running the bat file and/or starting various QPST programs with admin rights and without. There's one exe in there, I forget which it is exactly, but it has an option to auto detect your phone in the menus somewhere and configure the USB exchange. I don't "think" it's required because my phone was always detected from the start, but I'm also sure I ran it at some point.

Yeah, Motorola is a joke. They want money. I just want you to have a working phone.

shortyoh

May 14, 2020
Nope. Before you rerun the bat file. Just unplug, replug, then rerun it. You may also need to reboot your phone into qhusb mode. The easiest way to do that since the screen stays black, is while connected to your PC, open your device manager (where you see icons of controllers and such), and watch for your phone, hold Vol ↓ + Power like you would to get into fastboot, and you'll see it disappear and reappear in qhusb mode. Then try running the bat file. I had to go through this whole process a few times before it actually worked.

Killing any QPST programs from the task manager and restarting them may also be worth a shot. I also suggest running the bat file and/or starting various QPST programs with admin rights and without. There's one exe in there, I forget which it is exactly, but it has an option to auto detect your phone in the menus somewhere and configure the USB exchange. I don't "think" it's required because my phone was always detected from the start, but I'm also sure I ran it at some point.

Yeah, Motorola is a joke. They want money. I just want you to have a working phone.

So I think the phone is already in QHUSB mode - that's how its showing up in the device manager every time, at least. I suspect the issue is probably in the exe you mention. I did find one where I could configure for the MSM8953 processor, and it would create a .xqcn or .qcn file, but I have absolutely no clue what all the different entries would need to be for that. But since the phone is consistently being detected and blankflash tries to work, but I get that MSM8953 unknown error, I suspect there's a config issue of some sort needed to fix it. Just have no clue what it would be. Also tried downloading the emmc firehose mbn file for the 8953 lenovo and using QFIL and the 8675_W00 file for the xmls that some sources claim work, and had no luck there, either - claiming sahara communication issues...

If I could just find a local shop who could flash it for a couple bucks (I'm sure this is a trivial job if you have the right stuff put together already), I'd be happy to pay them. But motorola's local service provider won't do anything but ship it to Motorola, who is trying to rip us off... :/

skullkid383

Nov 16, 2014
Moto G7 Play
So I think the phone is already in QHUSB mode - that's how its showing up in the device manager every time, at least. I suspect the issue is probably in the exe you mention. I did find one where I could configure for the MSM8953 processor, and it would create a .xqcn or .qcn file, but I have absolutely no clue what all the different entries would need to be for that. But since the phone is consistently being detected and blankflash tries to work, but I get that MSM8953 unknown error, I suspect there's a config issue of some sort needed to fix it. Just have no clue what it would be. Also tried downloading the emmc firehose mbn file for the 8953 lenovo and using QFIL and the 8675_W00 file for the xmls that some sources claim work, and had no luck there, either - claiming sahara communication issues...

If I could just find a local shop who could flash it for a couple bucks (I'm sure this is a trivial job if you have the right stuff put together already), I'd be happy to pay them. But motorola's local service provider won't do anything but ship it to Motorola, who is trying to rip us off... :/
I got same model different service and the one in the telegram group worked for me

Reactions: Spaceminer

BobbyBlunt

Jan 3, 2014
I have the XT1952-4 (Sprint model) and I am suffering from the exact same issue. Phone is dead. Boost has a replacement for $80 right now, and the a20 is like 150 before promotions.... starting to think that a20 may be the way to go

So I listened to @Spaceminer but sadly I was unable to unbrick. I tried probably 3 dozen times on my personal computer. I assumed it wasn't working because of USB 3 (RSDlite would not show a device at all on my new machine even before the brick... something I did not have an issue with when using a USB 2 port... it only has USB 3/3.1. I went to see my son and I had the exact same problem on his machine. Went to see a friend and attempt to use a third computer.... same problem. Multiple attempts on each machine were done. Windows device manager does recognize it in QHUSB mode.

Well instead of buying something different I ended up buying another g7 play. The guy at my local boost mobile store tried ripping me off (wanted to charge me $260 for the a20 even though they advertise it for $150 on their website.... then tried telling me I needed to come back with cash since his credit card machine was down..... yeah needless to say I called his boss which Ive known for many years)

The g7 play was 80 bucks at walmart. Eventually I would still like to unbrick the original one and use it as a testing device. If anyone has figured out why they were unable to unbrick please be sure to post it please :)

Last edited:

skullkid383

Nov 16, 2014
Moto G7 Play
So I listened to @Spaceminer but sadly I was unable to unbrick. I tried probably 3 dozen times on my personal computer. I assumed it wasn't working because of USB 3 (RSDlite would not show a device at all on my new machine even before the brick... something I did not have an issue with when using a USB 2 port... it only has USB 3/3.1. I went to see my son and I had the exact same problem on his machine. Went to see a friend and attempt to use a third computer.... same problem. Multiple attempts on each machine were done. Windows device manager does recognize it in QHUSB mode.

Well instead of buying something different I ended up buying another g7 play. The guy at my local boost mobile store tried ripping me off (wanted to charge me $260 for the a20 even though they advertise it for $150 on their website.... then tried telling me I needed to come back with cash since his credit card machine was down..... yeah needless to say I called his boss which Ive known for many years)

The g7 play was 80 bucks at walmart. Eventually I would still like to unbrick the original one and use it as a testing device. If anyone has figured out why they were unable to unbrick please be sure to post it please :)
Use blankflash from telegram group I have boost mobile/sprint model and it works for me

Reactions: BobbyBlunt

krbzzr

Feb 21, 2020
xt1952-4, M3c98, 50+hrs in...

I'm at the end of my tether here. I had the device for a few hours, should've known better than to even look at it without having designed the thing myself/etc., anyway - switched a to b or b to a, this was amidst installing lineage (like someone else I saw on here, the whole reason I bought this device, came from VZW samsungs/locked BL) so hard bricked/black screen/unresponsive beyone linux = lsusb output/ windows = device manager. The fact that I'm messing with windows showed how intent I was on solving this, and that started 40 hrs ago. I've seen every possible error at this point, and tried every blankflash to be found, as well as making my own blankflash/singleimage.bin, using qboot and star explicitly, also same commands through blank-flash.sh (linux) and blank-flash.bat (windows)

Currently it is "Target NAK!", but like I said, Ive seen them all...

[ 0.000] Opening device: /dev/ttyUSB0
[ 0.000] Detecting device
[ 16.658] ...cpu.id = 186 (0xba)
[ 16.658] ...cpu.sn = 1393259965 (0x530b75bd)
[ 16.658] Opening singleimage
[ 16.659] Loading package
[ 16.664] ...filename = singleimage.pkg.xml
[ 16.666] Loading programmer
[ 16.667] ...filename = programmer.mbn
[ 16.667] Sending programmer
[ 16.951] Handling things over to programmer
[ 16.951] Identifying CPU version
[ 16.951] Waiting for firehose to get ready
[ 19.964] ...MSM8953 1.0
[ 19.964] Determining target secure state
[ 19.969] ...secure = yes
[ 20.036] Configuring device...
[ 20.045] Flashing GPT...
[ 20.045] Flashing partition with gpt.bin
[ 20.053] Initializing storage
[ 21.898] Target NAK!
[ 21.898] ...num_partition_sectors=61071360
[ 21.898] ...num_physical_partitions=3
[ 21.898] ...Product name=QD63MB
[ 21.898] ...XML (0 bytes) not validated
[ 21.898] ERROR: do_package()->do_recipe()->do_flash()->flash_simg()->do_package()->do_recipe()->do_flash()->gpt_flash()->get_storage()->init_storage()->firehose_do_fmt()->do_recipe()->NAK
[ 21.898] Check qboot_log.txt for more details
[ 21.898] Total time: 21.898s
[ 21.898]
[ 21.898] qboot version 3.86
[ 21.898]
[ 21.898] DEVICE {
[ 21.898] name = "/dev/ttyUSB0",
[ 21.898] flags = "0x140",
[ 21.898] addr = "0xE0A35730",
[ 21.898] serial_nix.device_pathname = "/sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1/2-1:1.0/ttyUSB0",
[ 21.898] sahara.current_mode = "0",
[ 21.898] api.buffer = "0x7FE3E60F4010",
[ 21.898] cpu.serial = "1393259965",
[ 21.898] cpu.id = "186",
[ 21.898] cpu.sv_sbl = "0",
[ 21.898] cpu.name = "MSM8953",
[ 21.898] storage.type = "eMMC",
[ 21.898] sahara.programmer = "programmer.mbn",
[ 21.898] module.firehose = "0xBFA3C0",
[ 21.898] api.firehose = "0xC013C0",
[ 21.898] cpu.ver = "256",
[ 21.898] cpu.vername = "1.0",
[ 21.898] fh.max_packet_sz = "1048576",
[ 21.898] fh.storage_inited = "1",
[ 21.898] provisioning_may_hang = "true",
[ 21.898] }
[ 21.898]

banjker

Nov 4, 2013
I've only had an unlocked XT1952-4 phone for a couple of weeks and I didn't think I'd ever need this thread since I wasn't planning to root or unlock the bootloader. However I had an OTA that was not installing so I used the official LMSA tool from Lenovo to manually install. The crappy program hard-bricked the phone. Couldn't get into fastboot or anything. Anyways, here's what worked for me. Credits to @Spaceminer and @DAN1926

1. Download blankflash from this post which appears to be for a Verizon Moto G7 Power. The blankflash posted @Spaceminer for the XT1952-4 didn't work for me (Lots of "Waiting for Firehose to Get Ready" messages followed by eventual failure)
  2. Download the QPST tools from this post, install and reboot
  3. Copy all files from blankflash to C:\Programfiles_x86\Qualcomm\bin\
  4. Put the phone into the proper mode by holding VolDown+Power and then connect it to a USB port
  5. Run blank-flash.bat. It should finish within a few seconds with no errors and the phone will automatically reboot into fastboot mode. If it takes more than a few seconds, it probably won't work
  6. In fastboot mode, open LMSA and go to the rescue tab. Let it find and install the correct ROM. The process should also remove the bootloader from the G7 Power and install the correct one.

clintongsan

Jun 5, 2019
Fort Smith, Arkansas, US
You! You are the boss! Thank you so much. I bricked two separate Moto g7s by downgrading baseband improperly (I know... pretty embarrassing). One was only 4 months old and the other wasn't even 4 days yet.
I searched literally for months for a blankflash that would work. I must've tried different variations between ADB on win and Linux to minimal...just everything I could and I had given up and just happened across your post the other day. I decided I'd try it once more I'm going to the store that day to buy a new Pixel. I was so happy when I started to see the script print of "writing so-and-so partition" lol...I mean I jumped high AH in the air haha. All of the other loaders I've tried were just endless failed attempts. You are no doubt very familiar and more advanced with Dev than myself but I can't tell how much I appreciate the fact that you shared your experience....and all the money I've spent on the devices would've been wasted so just thank you so so much.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    so after many, many, many hours of tinkering with the blankflash from various devices. i finally got the right combination of files for the singleimage.bin using the blankflash for river. i couldnt say exactly how i ended up getting the device to take it. its failed many times, but i was running 2 command windows in linux "blankflash.sh" and or "qboot port=YOURDEVICEPORT blank-flash" at the same time and finally my device was revived after weeks of being bricked. but here is the blankflash, and may the odds be ever in your favor
    I bricked my moto g7 play xt1952-1 and what worked for me was the blank flash image attached below, It might work for xt1952-2 as well, give it a shot.

P.s. That's what I posted in the discord channell earlier.
    Step by Step Unbrick: Moto G7 Play

1. Install QPST programs and utilities. Reboot your PC. QPST.2.7.472_2018.zip

2. Connect your phone to your PC, open the device manager in Windows, then hold Vol↓+Power until you see the unknown device (your phone...) get removed and returned as QHSUSB or qdload.

3. Navigate to the installation folder of QPST. (Ex.) C:\Programfiles_x86\Qualcomm\bin\...
    You want to be where all the hex files and exe's are at. Copy all the blank flash files for your phone to here. (Overwrite files if prompted.) Double click the ".bat" file. You'll reboot into fastboot.

4. Flash your stock firmware. Reboot. Congratulations you're no longer a brick!

Tip: If you get an I/O error when running the .bat file, disconnect and reconnect your phone and try again. -- This definitely works on Windows 10. (Windows 7/8 & Linux, your mileage may vary.)

Model Tested: XT1952-4 RETUS
    I've only had an unlocked XT1952-4 phone for a couple of weeks and I didn't think I'd ever need this thread since I wasn't planning to root or unlock the bootloader. However I had an OTA that was not installing so I used the official LMSA tool from Lenovo to manually install. The crappy program hard-bricked the phone. Couldn't get into fastboot or anything. Anyways, here's what worked for me. Credits to @Spaceminer and @DAN1926

1. Download blankflash from this post which appears to be for a Verizon Moto G7 Power. The blankflash posted @Spaceminer for the XT1952-4 didn't work for me (Lots of "Waiting for Firehose to Get Ready" messages followed by eventual failure)
    2. Download the QPST tools from this post, install and reboot
    3. Copy all files from blankflash to C:\Programfiles_x86\Qualcomm\bin\
    4. Put the phone into the proper mode by holding VolDown+Power and then connect it to a USB port
    5. Run blank-flash.bat. It should finish within a few seconds with no errors and the phone will automatically reboot into fastboot mode. If it takes more than a few seconds, it probably won't work
    6. In fastboot mode, open LMSA and go to the rescue tab. Let it find and install the correct ROM. The process should also remove the bootloader from the G7 Power and install the correct one.
    Just out of curiosity, anyone have any luck with this ?
    Yes. Works without flaw.