Successfully Rooted Samsung SM-J120W Android 6.0.1 Wind Mobile Canada

Did this Rooting method work for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

adamwestca

Aug 5, 2012
Here are the steps to follow that worked for me to obtain Root on my Samsung SM-J120W Android 6.0.1 which I bought outright from Wind Mobile Canada. This method seems to work for other providers as well, but has not been tested by me. However, others in this thread have since rooted with Chatr (Rogers) and Koodo (Telus). This is great news!

Proceed at your OWN RISK. If you are successful, or successful rooting the SM-J120W that is with a provider other than Wind Mobile Canada, please post it here so others know!

In preparation for this process I performed a Software Update within Android, prior to rooting to ensure that I had the most up to date Android version available. From previous experience, I would suggest that you do not perform a Software update after rooting as it may remove root.

With respect to compatibility, on my phone under Settings > About device > Software info, the Baseband version of my phone, after ensuring the most recent update, was J120WVLU2AQA1 with Build number MMB29K.J120WVLU2AQA1 and Android security patch level January 1, 2017. These versions should match before you continue. To perform an OTA Software Update, on your phone Enable Wi-Fi then navigate to Settings > About Device > Download updates manually, then follow the instructions.

I used a Windows PC to interface with my Android. I have included a link below to a zip of all the files you will need in my Google Drive.

You should have some experience with Android recovery environments / flashing prior to proceeding at your OWN RISK. I will not be held liable for any damages related to this method.

Having said that, let's begin!

1. Download this zip archive from my Google Drive to your PC https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1iPMyk4G2_-a0ZENXVETjNPT1E.

2. Extract Samsung SM-J120W Rooting Files.zip to your PC, then follow the instructions below on file usage for the files extracted from within.

3. Copy SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031.zip from your PC to your phones internal storage.

4. Install Samsung USB Drivers SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_1.5.61.0.exe on your PC.

5. Extract Odin_3.12.3.zip to your PC.

6. On your phone, Open Settings > Developer options > Enable OEM unlock and Enable USB debugging.

* If under Settings there is no Developer options menu, tap About device > Software info > then tap Build number 7 times which will enable Developer options in the Settings menu.

* I was asked for a PIN for OEM unlock, it was my lock screen PIN.

7. Power off your phone. Remove the back cover from your phone. Connect your phone to your PC with a USB data cable. Power on your phone in Download Mode. (Press and hold Vol Down + Home + Power until you are presented with a warning regarding a custom OS). Press Vol Up to continue. You should now see ODIN MODE in red text at the top of the screen and a "Downloading... Do no turn off target" message.

8. On your PC, run Odin by opening Odin3_v3.12.3.exe. Under ID:COM the background should have turned blue. Under Log it should say Added!! Under Options, uncheck Auto Reboot and check F. Reset Time if it is not already checked. Click AP and select the twrp-3.0.2-0-b2-j1xlte.tar.md5 file in the Open dialog. Click Start.

9. Once Odin indicates PASS! in green at the top, flashing is complete. Now remove the battery from your phone. Unplug the USB data cable from your phone. Your phone will now be completely off. Click Exit to close the Odin program.

10. Replace the battery and back cover. Power on your phone in Recovery Mode. (Press and hold Vol Up + Home + Power until you see the blue TEAMWIN logo splash screen).

11. Now that you're in the TWRP Recovery environment, it should say Unmodified System Partition at the top. Tap Never show this screen during boot again, then Swipe at the bottom to Allow Modifications.

12. Tap Install, browse to & select the SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031.zip file you copied to the Internal Storage in Step 3. Tap Reboot after installation is complete, then Swipe at the bottom to confirm Flash.

13. Your phone should boot normally into Android with SuperSU installed in your apps. Configure SuperSU to your liking and test for root by installing a Root Checker app if you wish.

* First boot after rooting may take a few minutes. It can also boot loop a few times. When I performed this on my phone, it did take a little while longer to boot than usual, but I didn't experience any boot loops and all went well.

* I have noticed that some "older" apps that require root, complain I am not rooted. For example, in the past on other phones, with earlier Android Versions, I have used ROM Toolbox Pro to overclock my CPU when rooted; and it no longer works with Android 6 MM. I suspect that the behaviour of Rooted Android 6 MM is a bit different than previous builds. I now use Kernel Adiutor (ROOT) and that works fine for overclocking and doesn't complain about not being rooted. Other newer apps that require root like Root Explorer, AdAway, Busybox Installer, Trimmer (fstrim) all work great!

Please share your experience or comments and suggestions related to this guide!

Updated Sep 13 2017 - Thank you to everyone for your feedback and suggestions.

Last edited:

lilandroid

Nov 8, 2016
Please provide a link

Hi, please provide a link of the file twrp-3.0.2-0-b2-j1xlte.tar.tar, I can't find it in google, thank you

lilandroid

Nov 8, 2016
I rooted it successfully, thank you!

However, I am now having some issues installing xposed framework, have you tried install xposed framework in this phone model?

I installed this custom version of Xposed: http://xdaforums.com/xposed/unofficial-xposed-samsung-lollipop-t3180960 because with the original one, the phone doesn't startup (it stays in the samsung screen).

That custom xposed version was installed good, and phone started up good, but when I install and activate an xposed module and reboot the phone, I get the same problem, phone stays in the samsung screen.

I hope it's possible to use xposed framework in this phone model, I will open a thread soon about this issue, thanks for the help!

Reactions: adamwestca

adamwestca

Aug 5, 2012

However, I am now having some issues installing xposed framework, have you tried install xposed framework in this phone model?

I installed this custom version of Xposed: http://xdaforums.com/xposed/unofficial-xposed-samsung-lollipop-t3180960 because with the original one, the phone doesn't startup (it stays in the samsung screen).

That custom xposed version was installed good, and phone started up good, but when I install and activate an xposed module and reboot the phone, I get the same problem, phone stays in the samsung screen.

I hope it's possible to use xposed framework in this phone model, I will open a thread soon about this issue, thanks for the help!

No problem, your welcome. I have not tried to install xposed yet. I don't have a use for it right now. If I attempt and am successful, I will let you know!

adamwestca

Aug 5, 2012

I got it working on mine just now. I followed the procedure at this site: https://devs-lab.com/download-install-xposed-for-samsung-devices.html.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilandroid

lilandroid

Nov 8, 2016
I was following that tutorial method, I retried just a few minutes ago with a different approach, and it worked, I will share it here maybe someone finds it useful:

I got rid of everything (root and xposed) with a firmware and odin.

Then I installed supersu and xposed at one time in twrp, then I installed xposed apk, I activated a different module this time, then I turned off instead of rebooting. I waited a few mins and then I turned my phone on and it worked!

I don't know what exactly was the problem, but most likely it was just a module issue.
As always, thanks for the help!

4o4

Jan 30, 2010
Just posting to confirm that OP's instructions worked flawlessly for me. I had already soft bricked it once using another method, recovered from that, and then found this thread. Thanks a bunch for the tutorial!

fubar121

Jun 2, 2015
KITCHENER
Not working for me, Everything goes great right up to reboot after flashing TWRP. Reboots from Odin into system I wait for complete boot, Power off reboot with Power Volume up and home.

10. Power on your phone in Recovery Mode. (Press and hold Vol Up + Home + Power until you see the blue TEAMWIN logo splash screen).

It boots to Andriod Robot saying installing update, Which fails, I try to get it to boot into bootloader via the menu after the install fails but reboots directly to system. Any ideas?

Unit is from Chatr not wind.

Last edited:

Kevinthemew

Jun 27, 2016
At Step 10 when I try to reboot the phone into recovery mode I don't get the Teamwin splash screen, it just says "Installing System Update" then "No Command" and goes straight to the normal recovery mode. Am I doing something wrong?

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

Not working for me, Everything goes great right up to reboot after flashing TWRP. Reboots from Odin into system I wait for complete boot, Power off reboot with Power Volume up and home.

It boots to Andriod Robot saying installing update, Which fails, I try to get it to boot into bootloader via the menu after the install fails but reboots directly to system. Any ideas?

Exact same happnened to me, did you get it to work after?

fubar121

Jun 2, 2015
KITCHENER
At Step 10 when I try to reboot the phone into recovery mode I don't get the Teamwin splash screen, it just says "Installing System Update" then "No Command" and goes straight to the normal recovery mode. Am I doing something wrong?

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

Exact same happnened to me, did you get it to work after?

No sir I did not I will let you know if I can get it to work. Please do the same for me.

adamwestca

Aug 5, 2012

Did you Enable OEM unlock in Developer Options? Sounds like the FRP lock is active.

adamwestca

Aug 5, 2012
Did you Enable OEM unlock in Developer Options? Sounds like the FRP lock is active.

If you do get it to work after Enabling OEM Unlock, please let us know as your with Chatr, would be beneficial information knowing that another provider works also other than Wind (Freedom Mobile).

Thanks and Good Luck!

adamwestca

Aug 5, 2012
is it better, more wise to download the latest version of Supersu from the google play store and use that one, as I notice the one in the zip has a 2008 date

I would agree to update SuperSU from the Play Store after install. The version I included in the zip is 2.78 SR1, dated Sep 15 2016. Due to the complexity of the process, I have not tested an updated version, therfore have not included it in the guide.

Jan 25, 2017
Just wanted to say this worked for me, except I was having trouble booting into the Teamwin screen.

What I did was skip the end of step 9 where it says to let your phone reboot fully, instead I pulled the battery and the usb cord and forced it off, then went straight into recovery mode, never letting the phone reboot properly. Was able to get to the Teamwin screen just fine after. Everything else worked like a charm.

(Bought phone at Costco in Canada for use on Koodo.)

Andrei_Ruba

Jan 28, 2017
Mr Minister

Just wanted to say this worked for me, except I was having trouble booting into the Teamwin screen.

What I did was skip the end of step 9 where it says to let your phone reboot fully, instead I pulled the battery and the usb cord and forced it off, then went straight into recovery mode, never letting the phone reboot properly. Was able to get to the Teamwin screen just fine after. Everything else worked like a charm.

Yeeesss!!! That worked for me as well!
I've got my SM-J120W at Costco and I'm with Chatr

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here are the steps to follow that worked for me to obtain Root on my Samsung SM-J120W Android 6.0.1 which I bought outright from Wind Mobile Canada. This method seems to work for other providers as well, but has not been tested by me. However, others in this thread have since rooted with Chatr (Rogers) and Koodo (Telus). This is great news!

Proceed at your OWN RISK. If you are successful, or successful rooting the SM-J120W that is with a provider other than Wind Mobile Canada, please post it here so others know!

In preparation for this process I performed a Software Update within Android, prior to rooting to ensure that I had the most up to date Android version available. From previous experience, I would suggest that you do not perform a Software update after rooting as it may remove root.

With respect to compatibility, on my phone under Settings > About device > Software info, the Baseband version of my phone, after ensuring the most recent update, was J120WVLU2AQA1 with Build number MMB29K.J120WVLU2AQA1 and Android security patch level January 1, 2017. These versions should match before you continue. To perform an OTA Software Update, on your phone Enable Wi-Fi then navigate to Settings > About Device > Download updates manually, then follow the instructions.

I used a Windows PC to interface with my Android. I have included a link below to a zip of all the files you will need in my Google Drive.

You should have some experience with Android recovery environments / flashing prior to proceeding at your OWN RISK. I will not be held liable for any damages related to this method.

Having said that, let's begin!

1. Download this zip archive from my Google Drive to your PC https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1iPMyk4G2_-a0ZENXVETjNPT1E.

2. Extract Samsung SM-J120W Rooting Files.zip to your PC, then follow the instructions below on file usage for the files extracted from within.

3. Copy SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031.zip from your PC to your phones internal storage.

4. Install Samsung USB Drivers SAMSUNG_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_1.5.61.0.exe on your PC.

5. Extract Odin_3.12.3.zip to your PC.

6. On your phone, Open Settings > Developer options > Enable OEM unlock and Enable USB debugging.

* If under Settings there is no Developer options menu, tap About device > Software info > then tap Build number 7 times which will enable Developer options in the Settings menu.

* I was asked for a PIN for OEM unlock, it was my lock screen PIN.

7. Power off your phone. Remove the back cover from your phone. Connect your phone to your PC with a USB data cable. Power on your phone in Download Mode. (Press and hold Vol Down + Home + Power until you are presented with a warning regarding a custom OS). Press Vol Up to continue. You should now see ODIN MODE in red text at the top of the screen and a "Downloading... Do no turn off target" message.

8. On your PC, run Odin by opening Odin3_v3.12.3.exe. Under ID:COM the background should have turned blue. Under Log it should say Added!! Under Options, uncheck Auto Reboot and check F. Reset Time if it is not already checked. Click AP and select the twrp-3.0.2-0-b2-j1xlte.tar.md5 file in the Open dialog. Click Start.

9. Once Odin indicates PASS! in green at the top, flashing is complete. Now remove the battery from your phone. Unplug the USB data cable from your phone. Your phone will now be completely off. Click Exit to close the Odin program.

10. Replace the battery and back cover. Power on your phone in Recovery Mode. (Press and hold Vol Up + Home + Power until you see the blue TEAMWIN logo splash screen).

11. Now that you're in the TWRP Recovery environment, it should say Unmodified System Partition at the top. Tap Never show this screen during boot again, then Swipe at the bottom to Allow Modifications.

12. Tap Install, browse to & select the SR1-SuperSU-v2.78-SR1-20160915123031.zip file you copied to the Internal Storage in Step 3. Tap Reboot after installation is complete, then Swipe at the bottom to confirm Flash.

13. Your phone should boot normally into Android with SuperSU installed in your apps. Configure SuperSU to your liking and test for root by installing a Root Checker app if you wish.

* First boot after rooting may take a few minutes. It can also boot loop a few times. When I performed this on my phone, it did take a little while longer to boot than usual, but I didn't experience any boot loops and all went well.

* I have noticed that some "older" apps that require root, complain I am not rooted. For example, in the past on other phones, with earlier Android Versions, I have used ROM Toolbox Pro to overclock my CPU when rooted; and it no longer works with Android 6 MM. I suspect that the behaviour of Rooted Android 6 MM is a bit different than previous builds. I now use Kernel Adiutor (ROOT) and that works fine for overclocking and doesn't complain about not being rooted. Other newer apps that require root like Root Explorer, AdAway, Busybox Installer, Trimmer (fstrim) all work great!

Please share your experience or comments and suggestions related to this guide!

Updated Sep 13 2017 - Thank you to everyone for your feedback and suggestions.

I got it working on mine just now. I followed the procedure at this site: https://devs-lab.com/download-install-xposed-for-samsung-devices.html.