• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Sudden Battery Loss (Drop to 0%) Poll

Has your battery suddenly dropped to 1%?

• I have not experienced this problem.

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • Occured when charging phone via USB on PC/Laptop.

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • Occured when charging phone via USB wall charger.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Problem encountered when without USB lead.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • Problem encountered, other scenerio (give details)

Votes: 6 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
The purpose of this poll is to collect data about the 'sudden battery loss' issue that some Moto G owners have encountered.

People who are certain that the problem occurred the moment they disconnected USB; choose the last option and add a comment please.

If you choose option #1 but later experience this issue, post a comment saying this. Thanks.

The more accurate the information, the better chance of a solution being found quickly. Please post if you have experienced this problem on a US GSM (XT1034) or Brazil GSM (XT1033); also stating if it's a 8GB or 16GB version.

Affected Models:
XT1032: EU/Global GSM - 8GB/16GB
XT1033: Brazil Dual-Sim - 8GB/16GB
XT1034: US/Global GSM - 8GB/16GB
[All Variants apparently]​

This issue occurs on both Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) and 4.4.2 (KitKat).

Related thread: Battery from 74% to 0% in 1 second

Last edited:

miklosbard

Mar 22, 2011
Budapest
I would suggest making the answers more precise, like change the PC chatrging one to "When you disconnected the phone from PC". As I remember noone reported having it drop to 1% WHILE connected, only on disconnecting or later on the desk without cable.

Reactions: lost101

drfr

Jul 6, 2011
Púchov, Slovakia
Chose last option - battery suddenly dropped to 1% the moment I pulled USB cable out of PC. I wonder if it could be PC-related, because during over a month I own the device, this never happened either on my home or work PC, both are double-boots W7/Linux and I usually connect to them couple of times each day. The only time it happened was on my friend's PC to which I connected only this one instance and sadly I won't have oppurtunity to come back to any soon to try to reproduce. I only remember it was some windows, probably 7, maybe even Vista - ask no more, it was New Year's Eve ! ;)

manudo

May 12, 2013
Alajuela
Ok, today I got that problem, my telephone was at 15% and when I plugged the USB it drops to 1%.
I don't know what was that but I'll never connect USB while using the phone, never!

lost101

May 30, 2008
Ok, today I got that problem, my telephone was at 15% and when I plugged the USB it drops to 1%.
I don't know what was that but I'll never connect USB while using the phone, never!

Unfortunately, avoiding USB will not protect you; it can happen even when the phone is not connected. The poll and the main thread support this. USB will often trigger it however.

lost101

May 30, 2008
Maybe it was a mistake to put the first option in this poll. Just because someone hasn't had this happen, doesn't mean it won't. As far as I can tell, all models, from all regions are susceptible.

gamerka

Oct 29, 2009
Moscow
In the beginning I had similar probleme couple of times. When phone was disconnected, had 80-90% and after reboot it dropped to about 30-40%. After recharging all was fine again.

lost101

May 30, 2008
I have had this happen several times, usually only when connected to a PC. On both 3.4 and 4.4.2.

I've posted in the other thread theorising that the trigger might be voltage / current, but the poll so far suggests many people have experienced this issue even when not charging.

Last edited:

Narwhal73

Oct 22, 2012
Waterloo, ON
krourke.org
Can you try making it happen as I described?

Sent from my phone

Using the official USB cable provides with the phone and my Windows 8.1 laptop, I was not able to reproduce your results, sorry :\

The battery seems to just do it randomly when it feels like it. Though I've only had this happen when charging via wall charger.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can you try making it happen as I described?

Sent from my phone

Using the official USB cable provides with the phone and my Windows 8.1 laptop, I was not able to reproduce your results, sorry :\

The battery seems to just do it randomly when it feels like it. Though I've only had this happen when charging via wall charger.
    I would suggest making the answers more precise, like change the PC chatrging one to "When you disconnected the phone from PC". As I remember noone reported having it drop to 1% WHILE connected, only on disconnecting or later on the desk without cable.
    I had such issue using Brazil GSM (XT1033)
    Happened when I disabled usb debugging while the device was connected to the laptop. 4.4.2 DE (originally UK)

Can anyone try to reproduce it?
    This has happened twice to me within the past 3 days using the stock Canadian 4.3 firmware. No issues so far with the 4.4.2 OTA.