Suggestion: Enforce to have a FAQ sticky thread on every device category that explains the meta of the device

Search This thread

noddledizzy

Jan 31, 2019
Sadly after years of being on XDA, the threads here are still a mess. Especially if you're looking for information about what variants to get or avoid, if you want to achieve root or custom rom.
I simply want a sticky FAQ thread on each device category detailing vital information like: variants for rooting or custom roms, updates to avoid that breaks exploit to achieve root, etc.

I envy Reddit for having this system implemented by users voluntarily. Like for example, if you go to the Nintendo Switch Hacks subreddit, they have a FAQ thread there detailing everything you ned to know about hacking the Nintendo Switch. But here in XDA, it's always a mess. I have to go through a lot threads just to find the answer I'm looking for. I hope this system gets implemented.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
  • Sep 21, 2011
    South Dakota
    goo.gl
    Moto X4
    Moto G7 Power
    Sadly after years of being on XDA, the threads here are still a mess. Especially if you're looking for information about what variants to get or avoid, if you want to achieve root or custom rom.
    I simply want a sticky FAQ thread on each device category detailing vital information like: variants for rooting or custom roms, updates to avoid that breaks exploit to achieve root, etc.

I envy Reddit for having this system implemented by users voluntarily. Like for example, if you go to the Nintendo Switch Hacks subreddit, they have a FAQ thread there detailing everything you ned to know about hacking the Nintendo Switch. But here in XDA, it's always a mess. I have to go through a lot threads just to find the answer I'm looking for. I hope this system gets implemented.
    There have been several attempts at something like this, which always fails for lack of volunteers.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
  • Sep 21, 2011
    South Dakota
    goo.gl
    Moto X4
    Moto G7 Power
    Many of my threads are stickies.
    I wasn't asked to create them, and most of them, I requested that they be stuck to the top.
    One of the biggest problems is many people don't keep their phones very long anymore. They move on to the next phone So, they don't keep their threads up to date.

noddledizzy

Jan 31, 2019
    My advice, if you want a Sticky thread, start a thread and ask that it gets pinned to the top.
    If you are looking for a thread template see
    The Index Project
    and
    The FAQs Project
    I could do that, but it'll be pointless if I am the only one to do it. I wish XDA users have the same mentality as redditors.
    About not being updated since people move on to different devices, it's not really a problem since informations such as what variants are rootable, or any simple info like that that does not change. Thank you for reading

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin / Moderator Committee
    Staff member
    Jan 30, 2006
    NSW, Australia
    Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
    Custom ROMs are always changing. It's not really feasible to keep an FAQfor things like that. It would be forever changing.

A Switch is a Switch, and info found in an FAQ will always be relevant. But smartphones are a different beast. Updates, new versions etc mean the FAQ would need updated on a weekly or close to daily bais on newer devices.

It's a good idea in theory, and some forums have or had them. But it's too much work for members.

Plus a lot of it is subjective. There's no "best" or better ROM. A lot is really personal preference. Most of the info you're talking about is already in each forum throughout the various threads. You just need to doa bit of reading.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There have been several attempts at something like this, which always fails for lack of volunteers.
      Custom ROMs are always changing. It's not really feasible to keep an FAQfor things like that. It would be forever changing.

A Switch is a Switch, and info found in an FAQ will always be relevant. But smartphones are a different beast. Updates, new versions etc mean the FAQ would need updated on a weekly or close to daily bais on newer devices.

It's a good idea in theory, and some forums have or had them. But it's too much work for members.

Plus a lot of it is subjective. There's no "best" or better ROM. A lot is really personal preference. Most of the info you're talking about is already in each forum throughout the various threads. You just need to doa bit of reading.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone