Suggestions for GPS map software.

Search This thread

KDOG2020

Mar 5, 2011
As I found out google maps doesnt store the maps on the device - it needs a wifi connection. Does anyone know what gps app package that will keep the maps on the device (prefferably on the memory card) so that the gps is actually useful?

Zadeis

Dec 31, 2011
I recently bought sygic and I like it. It has yet to be wrong. It is from Europe, so the default voice has an accent (which I kinda like being in the US since it's different) all of North America for me cost 26 dollars.

Best advice just try Sygic. It gives you a free 7 day trial but from my experience only let me download one state. After buying I can download all of North America.

One gripe I do not like about it is that you can't send maps to the SD card. It all goes on the main internal storage.

KDOG2020

Mar 5, 2011
Having all the maps on internal memory would be horrible! unless I download one trip at a time. Im surprised the big gps companies like garmin and magellan havent came out with map software for android gps.

Zadeis

Dec 31, 2011
Actually Garmin bought one particular app I just forget which one it was. A little while after they did buy out that app they slapped a 50 dollar per year price tag on it.
Though if you are willing to tweak the app upon looking at the settings (and finding out where it is from looking in various forums) file in the app you can force it to store them else where. Have I tried it yet? Nope. Though I suppose I could and let you know since it will be worth my time in the end.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Actually Garmin bought one particular app I just forget which one it was. A little while after they did buy out that app they slapped a 50 dollar per year price tag on it.
Though if you are willing to tweak the app upon looking at the settings (and finding out where it is from looking in various forums) file in the app you can force it to store them else where. Have I tried it yet? Nope. Though I suppose I could and let you know since it will be worth my time in the end.

Upon messing with the settings file and telling it instead of reading from the Aura directory on the internal storage, I set it to "extStorage/SdCard/Aura" it didn't like that and now it force closes.

edit:
Still tinkering with it. I just tried the /mnt/sdcard2/ location and still no dice. Maybe if it was rooted and actually had access to write to the SD card? I'm not sure. Upon reading the thread in the general forums about not being able to write files to external sd card.

Anyway I am getting side tracked and veering away from the threads original purpose. I will continue tinkering on my own time.

All in all if you don't mind it putting everything on the sd card it a great app. A single state usually is only 20-35 megabytes. The first will be large mind you since it downloads all the needed files such as voices, graphics, etc.

Last edited:

KDOG2020

Mar 5, 2011
Well Im trying sygic now but dont really care for it. Seems a little mediocre. Went on a day trip today and it couldnt find a main road. Pretty frustrating. So the search continues.

Zadeis

Dec 31, 2011
Ah it's all a matter of taste and preference then. I like Sygic but I will not go to Navigon. The fact you need to pay yearly bugs me.

You should look into copilot then. Though whenever they update the app you need to buy the newer version. I guess that's how they get you with that one :/

Those are the only other two gps apps that I am aware of so try looking into those.

ringnutz

As I found out google maps doesnt store the maps on the device - it needs a wifi connection. Does anyone know what gps app package that will keep the maps on the device (prefferably on the memory card) so that the gps is actually useful?

You do realize that google nav caches the route, it just won't load the maps. If you enter your route while on wifi it will be there until you reach your destination. Or you could just tether it to your phone, which is what I prefer

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7 Plus

Zadeis

Dec 31, 2011
You do realize that google nav caches the route, it just won't load the maps. If you enter your route while on wifi it will be there until you reach your destination. Or you could just tether it to your phone, which is what I prefer

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7 Plus

Yes this is true from what I have encountered also. Plus doesn't it tend to have more up to date Point of Interests? On the flip side you can't cache everything to the SD card can you?
I prefer Sygic because I'm ancient and don't have a phone and was in need of GPS device. This worked out when I got my tablet over the holidays. I would have used google maps but I wanted to know I had everything on there (like an entire state).

I'm not denoting google maps though since I almost went that route until I found other means that were better to me :)

KDOG2020

Mar 5, 2011
I'm really surprised that Google doesn't make their maps available for download to the device. Even if I had to pay say 30 bucks for the USA it would be worth it.

Zadeis

Dec 31, 2011
That would be convenient. I would totally use it at that point. But alas we can't always get what we want...

thangbom

Dec 29, 2005
Saigon
My favorite GPS software is Maverick since I used my Galaxy Tab P1000, but it does not run on this P6200 device. Any suggestion?

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
Google maps can pre-cache areas you selected. Click on Settings -> Labs and enable the Pre-Cache function.

KDOG2020

Mar 5, 2011
Well that precaching is terrible. The maps aren't close enough to be useful. Back to the drawing board.