Suggestions on GPS software & map pack for the fuze

Search This thread

mputtr

Nov 12, 2008
California, USA
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
As stated above, I'm looking for suggestions on which gps software to use and which map pack to get. Currently I'm interested in acquiring the US map pack and thailand's. Since I'm also a newbie in winmo, I do not know of a gps software that is trusted by the majority of consumers.
If you have a particular software you prefer and are willing to share its name, do reply, otherwise thanks for reading :)

emesbe

Jan 12, 2008
Chicago area
I've used TomTom on several devices with no problems. You'll have to check their site for cost of maps. As for acquiring GPS signal, just do a search for the numerous threads here on that. Primary solutions are disabling aGPS, disabling GPS logging, and using GPSTest to acquire first.

cdaws306

Nov 30, 2008
I second iGo 8... I love it and its regarded as one of the best GPS softwares (that Ive seen)

JFlitt

Feb 18, 2008
I would most definatelly say Garmin Mobile XT is by far the bets IMHO, because it is now integrated with google search you get live information from google anyime you might need it! among other things like gas prices etc, all included at no extra cost, and I don't believe these are included with tom tom I can't say for iGO

:)

Kewlj1313

mindfrost82

Retired Senior Moderator
This has been discussed a number of times already, so I wouldn't be surprised if this one gets closed soon.

Garmin is great IMO. It is just as accurate has their standalone GPS units (I've used it side-by-side with a Nuvi for a 600+ mile trip). As mentioned before, you can get gas prices, weather, etc all included. The only downside for me is that it doesn't do TTS to read the street names.

TomTom is nice and highly recommended on this site as well. For me, the most recent maps I could find weren't updated enough for my area and didn't have a few subdivisions around me, where the latest Navteq maps did.

iGo is great as well, but I have one complaint I've found with it. I'm using the latest 8.3.2 version with the latest Navteq maps. TTS works great, graphics are great. It is VERY customizable with lots of skins out there. The only thing that bugs is me the ETA time always seems to be off for long trips, and I don't know how to fix it. For example, this past weekend I went on a 300 mile trip. Garmin showed me arriving in about 5 hours while iGo showed it taking 6 hours. Both were set for the exact same route. While driving with iGo, it would shorten the ETA by about 2 minutes every 30-45 minutes I was driving, so that by the time I was within 30 minutes of my destination the arrival time was finally accurate. If I could fix that issue I would use it over Garmin. The ETA is fine on short trips. I've only tried it on a few interstate trips, but they were all on the same route to my parent's house or my house (depending on which way I was going).

misfitwrx

Sep 4, 2008
hey frost do you think you could pm me your sys.txt for igo? im having trouble with getting mine working right

mindfrost82

Retired Senior Moderator
hey frost do you think you could pm me your sys.txt for igo? im having trouble with getting mine working right
Here ya go (I posted this in another thread too):

Code:
[interface]
maxzoom2d=6000000
minzoom2d=40
show_exit=1
shutdown_time=0
vga=1

[map]
auto_nightmode=1
3d_max_tiltlevel=9000
2dheadup=1