Summary of known issues with Galaxy S

Search This thread

MetaDude

Dec 14, 2008
OK so from what I can gather looking at this forum and various stuff on the web the issues with this phone are (not in order of importance)

1. UI lags. However, this can be overcome via a 3rd party launcher and some 'Nand' hacks? which pardoxicallly means limited app memory again !

2. The GPS is unreliable. It can be fine one time and refuse to lock on another time?

3. The WiFi connection is also unstable for many users?

4. The battery life is not very good out of the box but improves after a few recharges? However, its still difficult to get a full day if using it heavily?

5. Samsung have a poor record when it comes to updates. There is no guarantee when / if the phone will be updated so it should be bought based solely on the features it has today?

Have I got this about right ? Anything missing or just wrong ? Are there any known fixes for issues 2 and 3 above.

Please note this not an attack on the phone I am considering buying and, as much as possible, I want to understand upfront what the issues are.

Tachikoma_kun

Jan 16, 2009
Wales
Don't forget Kies is rubbish and there's no apps for Android on the Kies marketplace, despite what the manual says.

If you are on a Mac (and presumably Linux) you have to enable USB debugging mode to be able to mount it as a USB storage device.

dakine

Nov 13, 2006
1 and 2 applies to my phone and I must be having a memory leak issue. My available memory drops pretty steadily throughout the day even after killing all the apps with a task manager. I need to reboot once or twice a day or the phone dips below 100mb. My guess is this is also the cause of the laggy UI.

My gps is quick to get a fix but it drops often for no good reason.

The wifi has been flawless for me, I'm on a 802.11n only network.

My battery is ok, not great but not bad either.

I still love this phone and I would buy again even with these minor annoyances.

Last edited:

wongja

Aug 8, 2006
Wifi wont reconnect when waking up from standby mode...(sometimes)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Pika007

Jun 22, 2010
1- pretty minor problem IMO, i don't bump into it a lot. Let's see what samsung will do.
2- From what i see, after upgrading a firmware the problem is solved, in most of the cases.
3- Seen reports, but i didn't bump into problems with it even once.
4- After comparing with a nexus one, an HTC desire and a motorola milestone, i can clearly say that currently, after 5-7 charges, the SGS has the best battery in the android market.
I manage to squeeze over 3 days of moderate use from my device, or 2 days of heavy use.
5- I can't really say anything about it, samsung does have a poor support record for it's devices.

bookwormat

Jun 24, 2010
Vienna
bookworm.at
I'm running firmware XXJF3

1.Lag) applies to me, with any launcher. it's ok most of the time, but when it happens it is very annoying.

2.GPS) No problems so far. Not using it much for navigation, thus. Just for stuff like checking into foursquare and buzz.

3.WiFi) No problems now. I had a strange problem with wlan not working at all at my first day with the device, but I did a factory reset once and since then I never had any problems with networking anymore.

4.battery life) Everything just as with the nexus one or G1: I need to charge it at least once a day, unless I do not really use it.

5.update support) It's annoying, and it's a shame. But except for the nexus one, there are not really better alternatives with better update support out there. At least here in Europe. Motorola and HTC and Sony all abandon their devices after a few month as well.

We can only hope that Samsung thinks this is something that is worth doing better than in the past, and better than the competition currently does. Or that building custom ROMs based on upcoming Android Versions on the Galaxy S is not going to be as difficult as psychoace thinks.

If Samsung fixes the blackout/lag issues soon with a new firmware, I'm going to keep the device. Most of the time it is a great mobile. I even like touchwiz 3.

Last edited:

tameracingdriver

Jul 5, 2010
Newcastle
OK so from what I can gather looking at this forum and various stuff on the web the issues with this phone are (not in order of importance)

1. UI lags. However, this can be overcome via a 3rd party launcher and some 'Nand' hacks? which pardoxicallly means limited app memory again !

2. The GPS is unreliable. It can be fine one time and refuse to lock on another time?

3. The WiFi connection is also unstable for many users?

4. The battery life is not very good out of the box but improves after a few recharges? However, its still difficult to get a full day if using it heavily?

5. Samsung have a poor record when it comes to updates. There is no guarantee when / if the phone will be updated so it soils be bought based solely on the features it has today?

Have I got this about right ? Anything missing or just wrong ? Are there any known fixes for issues 2 and 3 above.

Please note this not an attack on the phone I am considering buying and, as much as possible, I want to understand upfront what the issues are.

1. Yes I get lag. Very irritating on the supposed "most powerful phone around". On original jf 3 firmware though, but will surely try the new rom from modaco as I don't think I could live with this in the long term.

2. Only time I tried to use google navigation, it let me down badly.

3. Generally been ok but for the first time today I had wifi icon but no internet connection. Had to restart phone (toggling had no effect).

I've had other issues as well, complete lock ups, mass storage randomly not working, and other weird seemingly random behaviour.

Overall, so far this has been a frustrating device to live with. Things can only get better I hope.

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
Latest firmware released today solved the lag problem.
Not sure about the others. never had problems with the GPS.
Wifi connection was solved 2 firmwares ago :)