Ok I'm new to xperia phones, but correct me if I'm wrong: it is impossible to flash ANY form of custom rom without unlocking the bootloader and thus losing DRM related functionality (for me most importantly camera quality / BE)?
What would happen if I, for example, loose DRM and use google stock camera on this phone? Would it result in really crappy pictures?
I don't even want a really really custom rom, I just want to get rid of all the preinstalled **** apps...
- On any Xperia 2014/15 series phone you must UNLOCK bootloader, if you want to flash any form of customized kernel or recovery
- Additionaly on new 2015 devices you must unlock bootloader if you want to get root, because system partition is protected on kernel/bootloader leve
- Root on locked bootloader is available on almost all 2014 devices, sometimes requiring you to downgrade to KitKat first to root and then flash pre-rooted firmware in recovery
- Unlocking bootloader causes TA partition containing DRM keys to be wiped. And TA partition can not be (so far) backed up without root.
- Reflashing TA partition (from backup) is only possible from YOUR OWN backup. Flashing TA from other phone HARD BRICKs the device
- I am not sure if Sony would be able to recover, re-create your unique TA (sure they can, because they did it when they manufatured phone), I think no, because they warn users that UNLOCKING bootloader is irreversible action (technically it is not true, but we live from money)
- Loosing DRM keys leads (except of others things) to loose BionZ processing capability (Sony Exmor camera image processor). It means, mainly loosing noise reduction in low light pictures.
- So if you unlock and will you Sony camera app or Google camera app, the images will not be processed by BionZ processor and you will be left with that camera app noise reduction capability (if any)
- One more obstacle on using advanced camera apps is, that Sony camera stack supports only limited feature of Camera2 API
- Your pictures will not be crappy, if taken in good light conditions or with adequate flash ...
Someone who get it, could write a new thread with a how to for the noobs??. Step by step with temp root and then unlock the bootloader and how relock and restore drm Keys and TA partition.
The original post is in z5c forum I think so... Maybe some Z5 users don't see it.