• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

Sunshine Bootloader Unlock for SU4TL-49 is live!

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
https://twitter.com/firewaterdevs

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone I told that there was no hope for unlocking SU4TL-49. The sun gods have heard your plea. I'll update my guide as soon as it goes live.
I did the same. Sometimes it's good to be wrong . ;)

It took Sunshine team a FULL year to find the first Droid Turbo bootloader unlock exploit... and they were actively looking. After that (November 2015), they said they were no longer actively looking.

So, this is a surprise. 9-10 months to find the 2nd exploit.

Last edited:

quadcrap1

Apr 25, 2008
Added great news:

Once Sunshine pushes this new update, Verizon will be motivated to push one more "security" update for the Droid Turbo. I mean, they can't be bothered to update to Marshmallow, but for this, you'll get a new update... :)

y8s

Sep 13, 2011
DC Metro
noway.

and here I was thinking my jesus free cracked screen replacement phone was going to remain pristine and sin free.

looking forward to blocking all ads and marshing all mallows -- or even chewing all nougats.

Sparksys

Jul 22, 2012
noway.

and here I was thinking my jesus free cracked screen replacement phone was going to remain pristine and sin free.

looking forward to blocking all ads and marshing all mallows -- or even chewing all nougats.
I saw what you did there :3

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Can't you block ads without root?
No. You need something like Adaway, which Google banned from the Play store. You can still get it on XDA, however. ;)

It uses a blacklist of host files at the system level, as well as enabling a fake web server on your phone to direct ad requests to a non-existent location. Apps see the ad requests being filled (but no ads appear) and still work.

EDIT: didn't know about this AdGuard below. It has a root and a non-root method.

Last edited:

zys52712

Jul 28, 2016
Ames
No. You need something like Adaway, which Google banned from the Play store. You can still get it on XDA, however. ;)

It uses a blacklist of host files at the system level, as well as enabling a fake web server on your phone to direct ad requests to a non-existent location. Apps see the ad requests being filled (but no ads appear) and still work.
I use adguard on SU4TL-49, and it blocks just about every ad except the ads in the YouTube app.

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I use adguard on SU4TL-49, and it blocks just about every ad except the ads in the YouTube app.
Well, you still need root -- unless you plan to run through their VPN mode. I do commend them for offering a non-root method, if that's what people want. I had never heard of this app/service, whatever it is. But then I will never own a phone I can't root. Rooting is just becoming "administrator". It's MY phone. ;)

— Adguard is able to block ALL kinds of ads, not only in browsers but also in games and apps!

How does Adguard protection work?
Adguard filters your browser’s traffic by blocking requests to phishing and malicious websites and removing intrusive browser advertising.

Adguard can use two modes of traffic filtering.

— Local VPN mode.

— Local HTTP proxy mode.

Local VPN mode

If you are using this mode, Adguard does not need ROOT privileges to carry out filtering. At the same time, a VPN-server is located on your device, so that there is no need to pass your traffic through a remote server in order to filter it.

Local HTTP proxy mode

In this mode Adguard launches a local HTTP proxy server on your device. This mode is recommended, if you use a rooted device.

Otherwise, manual adjustment of an HTTP proxy will be needed to use this mode, the filtering in mobile networks (Edge/3G/4G) will also be impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnjingle

y8s

Sep 13, 2011
DC Metro
Can't you block ads without root?
Well ... I guess I can. I'm trying it out. Still I do love the freedom to d**k around with my roms. Also when I got the new phone, it was a super pain in my butt to do a full restore of the backup I made on the rooted phone. So there's that.

Anyway, I'd probably still pay for BL unlock even with adguard working.

Also gotta remember to whitelist mms.vtext.com just like with the other blockers.

FrostedWaffle

Mar 19, 2015
Holy crap this is some great news! I thought I was doomed to the pits of hell when I woke up one morning to see that my phone had been updated before I got a chance to unlock the bootloader.

Q9Nap

Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/firewaterdevs

I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to everyone I told that there was no hope for unlocking SU4TL-49. The sun gods have heard your plea. I'll update my guide as soon as it goes live.
Hey guys, new to the Turbo section as I've been rocking the Nexus 6 the past couple years.
I've wanted a Turbo since release, but the locked bootloader was a dealbreaker, and the unlockable xt1225 and/or xt1250 have been ridiculously overpriced (said the guy who paid almost $700 for Nexus 6 lol smh).
Thinking about picking up a Turbo now, and as it will most likely have SU4TL-49 preinstalled, I want to make absolutely sure I'll be able to unlock it.
Just wondering if anyone knows what the ETA is for the SU4TL-49 Sunshine update?

TheSt33v

Jun 12, 2014
The Stupid Country
Hey guys, new to the Turbo section as I've been rocking the Nexus 6 the past couple years.
I've wanted a Turbo since release, but the locked bootloader was a dealbreaker, and the unlockable xt1225 and/or xt1250 have been ridiculously overpriced (said the guy who paid almost $700 for Nexus 6 lol smh).
Thinking about picking up a Turbo now, and as it will most likely have SU4TL-49 preinstalled, I want to make absolutely sure I'll be able to unlock it.
Just wondering if anyone knows what the ETA is for the SU4TL-49 Sunshine update?
If the firewater devs say it's happening, it's happening. That tweet is the only ETA we have.

Reactions: Q9Nap
Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone